Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

BTS2 Adventure Forum

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Consumer »

Located a quarter mile outside town proper, on the road leading towards the mines. Carl's Diner is a newer establishment, built only in the last decade. It is a simple sturdy affair with two customer entrances and a lot of windows showing the interior. A gravel and dirt lot act as the diner's parking area, and most times a old Ford truck is parked there.

Inside is spacious with a bar running across the back, and a dozen booths running along the front wall. The interior is rather clean and inviting with what one could say is soft lighting. The walls are covered with pictures from places around the Appalachian Mountains, as well as a few posters advertising products, such as Coca-Cola and what not. Behind the counter is a window into the kitchen area, that seems tidy and the walls that are visible are covered in stainless steel. A few display cases hold pie and other deserts.

At any given time there are several customers and two to three ladies manning the counter, and in the kitchen is usually a middle aged man of indeterminable origins. Almost always is a older black man sitting at one end of the counter, a newspaper and cup of coffee nearby.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Carl’s Diner; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 16th, 1925. 10:00 AM
Weather: 20°,Overcast
Investigation Multiplier: x1
The area around Carl’s Diner is surprisingly devoid of any real snowfall, a few little patches here and there mostly in the bush, where traffic has no way of disturbing it. That being said the air is cold and almost moist, a thin layer of fog fighting to remain. The noises of civilization seem almost muted, some science minded folk would say it’s the moisture in the air acting as a baffle of sorts, but to those in the know, it could be many other things. Each traveler finds the diner, nestled in the curve of a road that once may have been a logging road. Several vehicles are parked in the dirt and gravel lot near the one story building. Smoke can be seen lazily floating out of the chimneys and the smell of food hangs in the air.

Inside is a drastic change from the dour drab cold of a February morning, with the interior being warm and bright and calming. While the place isn’t particularly busy, the travelers can see that seated at the end of the counter is a middle aged black man in a button up shirt and grey slacks, a pair of waitress move about cleaning things or serving in the end there seems to be a quaint order to things.

Seated at the various tables are a very large, brawny Italian man with classically Italian features, wide-set eyes, thick, dark hair, and a rugged square jaw. He seems bundled up against the cold. He sits with a plain, thin girl. Olive skin hints at her Italian roots. Her dark brown hair has been cut in a short, uneven style. Her brown eyes are wide and watchful. Her clothing and shoes are simple, but not terribly out of fashion. Sometimes the buttons of her wool coat haven't been done up properly or her clothes look a little wrinkled. At another table sits A short man with an unruly mass of brown red hair, carrying a medium build. He too is bundled against the cold. Sitting at the counter is a skinny man, with short blonde hair. Facial features often tend to resemble a squint, and posture seems slightly hunched forward. With another sitting a few seats down, a beautiful woman with a bold presence, but when one looks past the shine, they can see she might be of slight constitution and low physical dexterity.

Claudia sees a ghostly woman, in native garb hovering near the beautiful woman, she seems friendly, and doesn’t cause her any alarm.


The waitresses make there way about and take orders from the travelers, while the cook in the back, a likely half bear, half sasquatch, mountain of a man makes the food. The travelers find the coffee especially good.

It is here, by fortune or folly, fate or happenstance that the travelers find themselves after weeks of bad dreams and visions. All in attendance make out one piece of observation, the black man seems to be in the know of something, because he is looking at them in general.


What are your intentions?
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [11] = 11
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5
JIC: 1d100: [70] = 70

Splindt loudly yawns and runs a hand through his hair. Barely got a wink last night. Probably should have picked a better spot to sleep. He takes a quick glance at the others in the diner, and inspects the stool he’s sitting on by tapping it lightly with his heel before half-heartedly waving to the waitress behind the counter. “I’ll get another coffee with five sugars. Put it on my tab.” Noticing the strange man staring at him and the other customers, Splindt gives the man a quick nod in greeting. Wonder what’s going on with this fellow. Suppressing another yawn, Splindt continues. “Come to get out of the fog, stranger?
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [21] = 21 / 20%
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 / 1d100: [79] = 79
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural

Sitting across from her uncle in a booth, Claudia absentmindedly plays with her food. Her fork makes small scraping sounds as she moves cold eggs around on her plate. She ignores the glass of milk in front of her. Maybe Uncle Ari will let me have another piece of toast...with raisins and butter… she silently pouts. Movement out of the corner of her eye catches Claudia’s attention and she looks up from her plate in time to see a Native American woman glide by. She stares at the ghostly woman as she hovers near a pretty woman at the counter.

Claudia’s focus soon finds another target, and her eyes go to the black man at the other end of the counter. Is he the one from my dream? she wonders,struggling to recall the details of her dream. She can never quite remember the look of his face. He seems important. “Watching,” she mutters, trying to point him out to her uncle.
Last edited by Claudia on Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Virginia »

Perception check: 1d100: [9] = 9 /35%
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19
JIC: 1d100: [75] = 75
Charm/Impress: 1d100: [41] = 41 /75%
Skills: Using See Other Spirit Guides (0 ISP) and See and communicate with other spirits (0 ISP)

Virginia finishes her coffee and puts down the cup with a sigh. The coffee had assuaged her tiredness caused by lack of sleep due to strange dreams. Why do I keep dreaming about his village? What's so special about it? Feeling better, she pays attention to the people around her. She is re-assured by the presence of Aiyana, whom she smiles at in her mind. Hmm, clearly the man at the end of counter knows something! I'll talk to him in a bit. But is he the one in my dreams? Her gaze lingers on the quiet, skinny little girl and nods at her if she catches her eye. Virginia simultaneously looks for spirits inside the diner and the parts visible outside through the window. Then, Virginia focuses her attention on the waitresses and the gigantic man cooking the food. She tries to catch their conversation and perhaps the names of the waitresses. As she watches him cook, she realizes she's hungry, and tries, with a charming smile, to catch the eye of a waitress behind the counter to order some beans and toast, that remind her of home.

Virginia makes sure her British accent is pronounced and gaily chats with a waitress "I say, that was some great coffee. Just what I needed! I'm new around here. I'd love some toast and beans if you have some... This is such a charming diner - quite reminds me of home. Makes me nostalgic. Have you lived in this town long? I haven't had time to look around much. Does the town have anything unusual? I love unusual happenings!" Virginia then puts her head closer to the waitress at the counter and says in a conspiring whisper "Who's the dark man there at the back? A regular huh? Looks interesting!"
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [19] = 19
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 1d100: [90] = 90
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [10] = 10
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. English-illiterate.
Claudia wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:52 pmSitting across from her uncle in a booth, Claudia absentmindedly plays with her food. Her fork makes small scraping sounds as she moves cold eggs around on her plate. She ignores the glass of milk in front of her. Claudia’s focus soon finds another target, and her eyes go to the black man at the other end of the counter. “Watching,” she mutters, trying to point him out to her uncle.
†1 "Qualcosa bolle in pentola, topolina." He says quietly to Claudia as he follows the direction of her gaze after taking in the peculiar faces of those around the diner. The gorgeous brunette catches his eye. Che bellezza! He glances away, not wanting to stare. He sees Claudia's eggs going cold. His eyes narrow imperceptibly. The carrot this time, next time the stick. How could Marco allow her to be spoiled? We often did not have enough to eat as children! He nudges her gently with an elbow and leans in close to her. "Piccolina, if you finish your eggs, I will buy you a slice of pie...and don't stare at people; it makes them uncomfortable."

He sits up straight to get the attention of a waitress. "Two slices of fruit pie--whatever's most fresh--and some more of this caffè delizioso, per piacere." He catches his slip and adds, "please, miss." He looks to his motorcycle outside the diner and the sidecar he'd purchased after Marco's death. His beautiful wife, too. †2 La volonta di Dio. Don't forget how ineffable life can be, Ari. Claudia's your only remaining family in America, and you hers. He looks back up, takes in the black man, then the beauty once again. Perhaps this feeling of doom is a reminder to pursue what's most important in life? Perhaps after a few more fights, I can get another shot at the title.

†1
Translation: something is boiling in the pot (idiom); best said with tones of suspicion – this means something is brewing, a plot or a plan is underway.
†2
Translation: It is God's Will; a liturgical prayer
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Claudia »

((Rolls held over))

When Ari nudges her, Claudia's gaze switches from her cold eggs to her uncle's eyes. Pie is even better than raisin toast, she quickly reasons before shoveling a forkful of eggs into her mouth. Still feeling the stare from the black man at the counter, Claudia focuses on him. If it's so rude to stare, Uncle Ari, why does he keep doing it? What leaves Claudia's mouth is another simple, "Watching."
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Callum »

Percep 40%: 1d100: [20] = 20
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 1d100: [63] = 63

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Sitting at one of the tables that line the front of the Cafe, Callum is a few tables over from the large Italian fellow and the girl. He sits working on the rather large breakfast plate he ordered, which still has some pancakes and sausage left, though all the eggs are gone. Looking up from his food as he sips his coffee, he tries to let the warmth soak into him and easy the tension that's there from the last few weeks disturbing dreams.

He thinks back to when he hopped off the train much earlier this morning so he could be seen walking into town rather than appearing out of the train yard. People always seem a little more accepting of a traveler walking into town than a hobo riding the rails. Heck, maybe I should have bought a ticket at the last stop and come in proper like on the train. His head gives a little tip at the thought. Too late now. The town's just a hop and a skip down the road but maybe the next time I need to appear respectable rather than ignored.

Callum keeps working on his breakfast, eating the sausage and pancakes in combined bites with a prestigious amount of syrup. As he chews the bites he glances around the room and thinks, Could the dreams have been some type of calling? Am I walking into some kind of mess like what I'm already running from? Golly, I hope that girl took my advice and got out of town. Nothing to do about that now though. Its time to focus on whatever mess I've stepped in now. At least I've had time to practice my tricks.

As he works on the remainder of his meal, he looks around at the others in the cafe, trying to gauge if they are locals or travelers like him. He offers a small nod and a smile to anyone that catches him looking.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Carl’s Diner; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 16th, 1925. 10:10 AM
Weather: 20°,Overcast
Investigation Multiplier: x1
Virgina: Charm/Impress Very charming.
Skills: Using See Other Spirit Guides: None seen
See and communicate with other spirits: None seen, so none may be communicated with.
Aurelio: Language: English Unneeded for general conversation, just roll it during times of stress and when attempting to convey complicated ideas. Saves us time.

Zachary Splindt wrote:I’ll get another coffee. Put it on my tab.
The waitress smiles. ”Sure thing hun.” She says before quickly pouring Zach a fresh cup of coffee, which Zach proceeds to pour sugar from a shaker into the coffee.
Zachary Splindt wrote:Suppressing another yawn, Splindt continues. “Come to get out of the fog, stranger?
The black man shakes his head. ”Not particularly, I’m keeping an eye on things.” The man says, and Zach can tell from the man’s posture and position, he may be the aforementioned Carl, whom the dinner is named after.

Meanwhile Claudia picks at her food while being hyper aware of the oddness of this particular gathering.
Virginia wrote:Virginia makes sure her British accent is pronounced and gaily chats with a waitress "I say, that was some great coffee. Just what I needed! I'm new around here. I'd love some toast and beans if you have some... This is such a charming diner - quite reminds me of home. Makes me nostalgic. Have you lived in this town long? I haven't had time to look around much. Does the town have anything unusual? I love unusual happenings!"


The waitress smiles. ”Toast and beans… not a normal breakfast around here, but I’m sure we can make it happen.” She says before giving the order to the cook, who grunts loud enough to be heard.

Oh, I don’t live in town, I live one town over. As for unusual, I suppose it does, but nothing more strange than I’ve heard from other places. We had a guy recently get killed by wolves or wild dogs… but that’s about it.” She says, Virginia is fairly sure the woman doesn’t know much more than that.
Virginia wrote:Virginia then puts her head closer to the waitress at the counter and says in a conspiring whisper "Who's the dark man there at the back? A regular huh? Looks interesting!"


The Waitress laughs. ”Oh that’s Carl, he owns the place.”
Aurelio wrote:He sits up straight to get the attention of a waitress. "Two slices of fruit pie--whatever's most fresh--and some more of this caffè delizioso, per piacere." He catches his slip and adds, "please, miss."
The other waitress arrives, and smiles. ”I got Blueberry and Rhubarb, both made this morning. I’ll get you one of each, and I’m guessing you mean coffee. I’ll have it in just a moment.” The Waitress says before making her way to the counter and collecting asked for goods.

Meanwhile Callum continues to eat his breakfast.

The aforementioned Carl, closes his newspaper and sets it on the counter. ”Morning folks, how is everyone doing? I’m Carl, and you are all obviously not locals. So I have one question, have you folks been having bad dreams lately?” Carl says loudly enough to be heard by all, but not so loud as to be considered yelling.

What are your intentions?
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [22] = 22 / 35%
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18
JIC: 1d100: [29] = 29

Virginia smiles gratefully at the waitress and at the cook, if he looks her way, when the waitress agrees to bring beans and toast for her.

Virginia raises an eyebrow on hearing about the man killed recently by wolves or wild dogs. That sounds unusual...Is that tied up somehow with my dreams dragging me here? I must ask somebody local more about it. Maybe Carl would know..

She looks at Carl speculatively as he responds to the skinny man, and is surprised when she hears him ask everyone about their dreams. Now she is wary, and her eyes narrow. How does he know about my dreams? And everyone here has had similar dreams? How can that be? What kind of powers does he have? Did he bring us all here? What for?

As these thoughts go through her head, Virginia quickly glances at Aiyana out of the corner of her eye, turns around to face Carl, looks straight at him and nods her head in response to his question. She then looks around her to gauge the response of the other people in the diner.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Claudia »

Perception: d%: [28] = 28 / 20%
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 / d%: [17] = 17
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?
Consumer wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:44 am”...have you folks been having bad dreams lately?”
During Carl’s introduction, Claudia’s eyes remain glued upon him, that is until he mentions her dreams. He knows…?! She immediately drops her gaze down to her plate as if her food can provide an answer. Claudia’s eggs refuse to give up Carl’s secrets, so she drops her fork and leaves the booth she shares with Ari.

She walks up to Carl at the counter. Standing before him, Claudia resumes her staring match with Carl, willing him to say more. Are you the man from my dreams? Her mouth opens as if she’s about to say something, but the words never come. Say something...please! Uncle Ari and I came all this way...cold on the motorcycle.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [94] = 94
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 1d100: [40] = 40
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [36] = 36
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. English-illiterate.
Consumer wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:44 amThe other waitress arrives, and smiles. ”I got Blueberry and Rhubarb, both made this morning. I’ll get you one of each, and I’m guessing you mean coffee. I’ll have it in just a moment.” The Waitress says before making her way to the counter and collecting asked for goods.
Ari smiles toothlessly at her in response and nods in affirmation. The fewer words the better, si padre?
Consumer wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:44 amThe aforementioned Carl, closes his newspaper and sets it on the counter. ”Morning folks, how is everyone doing? I’m Carl, and you are all obviously not locals. So I have one question, have you folks been having bad dreams lately?” Carl says loudly enough to be heard by all, but not so loud as to be considered yelling.
Ari looks at Carl, and frowns at the man instinctively, Who are you to intrude upon my thoughts & bring me discomfort? but reluctantly accedes with a simple nod. Don't provide any more information than is asked for, Ari, you dunce.
Virginia wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:09 pmVirginia smiles gratefully at the waitress and at the cook, if he looks her way, when the waitress agrees to bring beans and toast for her. Virginia raises an eyebrow on hearing about the man killed recently by wolves or wild dogs. She looks at Carl speculatively as he responds to the skinny man, and is surprised when she hears him ask everyone about their dreams. Now she is wary, and her eyes narrow. As these thoughts go through her head, Virginia quickly glances at Aiyana out of the corner of her eye, turns around to face Carl, looks straight at him and nods her head in response to his question. She then looks around her to gauge the response of the other people in the diner.
Ari catches eyes with the beautiful lady and smiles as widely as imaginable without showing teeth. †1Magari...
Claudia wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:56 amDuring Carl’s introduction, Claudia’s eyes remain glued upon him, that is until he mentions her dreams. She immediately drops her gaze down to her plate as if her food can provide an answer. She drops her fork and leaves the booth she shares with Ari. She walks up to Carl at the counter. Standing before him, Claudia resumes her staring match with Carl, willing him to say more.
Noting Claudia's rise only because her movement breaks his eye contact with Virginia, Ari suddenly starts and gets up hurriedly. Stepping in close behind Claudia, he puts his big hands lightly and protectively around her skinny shoulders. "Scusa, senor. My niece is a good girl, but she has shell-shock of a sort," Ari adds, trying to excuse the girl's odd behavior. †2 E mo’ che famo?
†1
This word roughly translates to ‘if only’ and can mean ‘maybe’ and ‘I wish’.
†2
And now what do we do?
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Callum »

Percep 40%: 1d100: [99] = 99
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 1d100: [19] = 19

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

After looking over the people in the diner, Callum figures that, aside from the staff, everyone has that road weary look. Clothes a little disheveled, some dirt on a pant cuff, hair a little wind swept. Except maybe the black man at the counter, he has an entirely different air about him.

Callum shrugs it off, My dreams couldn't have anything to do with this place. Must be something up in town. But first there's time to savor my meal and get nice and warm He turns to look out the window while he works on finishing his breakfast.
Carl wrote:”Morning folks, how is everyone doing? I’m Carl, and you are all obviously not locals. So I have one question, have you folks been having bad dreams lately?”
Callum doesn't say anything when this announcement is made. In fact he doesn't look away from the window but the screech of his fork, like finger nails on a chalkboard, after dragging across his plate and missing it target is as loud of a yes as anyone else gives. After a slight grimace and head twist, Callum freezes and doesn't look back from the window at the other travelers and Carl.
User avatar
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Virginia »

Aurelio wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:39 pm Ari catches eyes with the beautiful lady and smiles as widely as imaginable without showing teeth. †1Magari...
As she looks around for reactions, Virginia is startled by a large man broadly smiling at her. Uhh... wha...?

Claudia wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:56 am She walks up to Carl at the counter. Standing before him, Claudia resumes her staring match with Carl, willing him to say more.
Before she has time to react to the man, Virginia observes the skinny girl walking up to Carl. So, she's another one of... us?... I suppose. What's she up to, I wonder? Virginia prepares to run to the girl's help if necessary, but relaxes when the the large man follows her protectively. She is slightly amused at the little girl staring so intently at the man.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception (18%): 1d100: [3] = 3
JIC (D100): 1d100: [67] = 67
JIC (D20): 1d20: [19] = 19
Conditions: Closed to the supernatural
Consumer wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:44 amThe waitress smiles. ”Sure thing hun.” She says before quickly pouring Zach a fresh cup of coffee, which Zach proceeds to pour sugar from a shaker into the coffee.
Giving the waitress a quick nod and a grin, Zachary pours a generous portion of the sugar container into his coffee. Startled, Zachary nearly drops the sugar container at the sound of a fork screeching against a plate, possibly coming from the dischevelled man staring at the window.

Consumer wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:44 amThe aforementioned Carl, closes his newspaper and sets it on the counter. ”Morning folks, how is everyone doing? I’m Carl, and you are all obviously not locals. So I have one question, have you folks been having bad dreams lately?” Carl says loudly enough to be heard by all, but not so loud as to be considered yelling.
Zachary notices some of the other guests at the diner stirring at Carl’s question. Odd. Seems that got a reaction out of some people. We can’t really all be here for the same reason, right? Of note, Zachary notices a skinny looking girl and a larger man behind her walking up to Carl. Except perhaps for them. Poor folks must have been sleeping pretty badly too. Feeling a bit more at ease seeing others answering Carl’s inquiry, Zachary picks up his coffee and walks toward the small gathering. Seeing that the small girl is very much focussed on Carl, Zachary nods to the large man and asks, ”You folks too?”
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Aurelio »

(rolls carried over)
Virginia wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:06 pmAs she looks around for reactions, Virginia is startled by a large man broadly smiling at her. Uhh... wha...?
Ari quickly nods in respect and looks instead to the man with the coffee cup approaching them. Nice way to embarrass yourself like an ass, Ari. What were you just telling Topolina about staring at people?
Zachary Splindt wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:28 pmZachary picks up his coffee and walks toward the small gathering. Seeing that the small girl is very much focussed on Carl, Zachary nods to the large man and asks, ”You folks too?”
"I...I don't know. Claudia usually sleeps quite softly, or else I sleep heavily. My dreams have not been pleasant of late though, no. Is this a local curse?" he ends with a question of his own.
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Callum »

[rolls held]

Callum hears a little bit of what is going on as he stares out the window, then his curiosity gets the better of him and turns to look on at the group assembled in the dinner. With a deep sign he gives a slight nod to Zachary and speaks up, "Aye. I have as well. The fool things are ominous and seem to have guided me here. To this town."

Realizing he was the first to really say anything, he offers the group a crooked smile. There I go. Letting me good nature get the better of me. I just hope this doesn't turn out like it did back in California.

After a moment of looking around at everyone, Callum turns to Carl and asks, "What is all this about?"
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Carl’s Diner; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 16th, 1925. 10:20 AM
Weather: 20°,Overcast
Investigation Multiplier: x1
None Rolled


Carl’s question seems to put everyone on edge, as it is very much true, and as far as everyone is concerned unknown to anyone but themselves. As a group the weight of the implications is heavy, almost suffocating. Even with that, it seems one by one, everyone confirms that Carl is not wrong.

Almost startling everyone, Carl speaks up. ”Janice, coffee for everyone, and milk for the young lady and you guys can head home for the day. Take Guthrie with you. I’ll see you all tomorrow.”

Without complaint, the waitresses make several cups of coffee, and a single glass of milk, passing them out to those gathered, before gathering their things and making their way out back. Carl sits back down at his counter seat once again.

”I’ll be honest folks, I am not entirely sure what is going on, at least not fully. There is something afoot in our sleepy little town, and it seems to be calling like minded folk.” Carl says, before taking a sip from his coffee.

”Dark things stir in the mountains, and they certainly don’t like honest folk in the least. I moved here a few years back because of similar reasons, visions and nightmares. They come and go, but in the last few weeks I’ve been seeing you folk, here and now. So there is that.” Carl says again pausing for a sip of coffee.

”I overheard my waitress telling one of you about someone being killed by dogs… or what not. Normally not that odd, except I knew the man, and am fairly certain there was more to it than a meer animal attack. His name was Captain Thurman Whitlach, a gentleman adventurer of sorts. Retired here a while back and built himself a home nearby. I’ve had dealings with him in the past, but we weren’t exactly friends if you know my meaning.” Carl again pauses, sips his coffee once more.

”If I were a betting man, I’d say his death has something to do with why you all felt pulled here.” Carl says pausing again, but this time he seems to be leaving the floor open to questions.

What are your intentions?
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [82] = 82 / 35%
JIC: 1d20: 1d20: [18] = 18
JIC: 1d100: 1d100: [55] = 55


Virginia is so engrossed in Carl's explanation that after smiling a quick thanks at the waitress, she forgets her coffee. So, these 3 men and the girl are here for the same reason as me. Interesting. Do I trust Carl? He seems open enough. And why would he lead us to the mysterious death if he had anything do with it? Unless he's using the death to bring people with certain special abilities for some other nefarious reason. On the whole I would trust him, but best to be wary.

As Carl pauses, the investigator in Virginia almost automatically takes over. "Carl, what were the exact circumstances of Captain Whitlach's death? How long ago was it? Where did it happen? Why do you suspect his death was unusual? And what happened to his body?" Virginia pauses and frowns as she thinks. Carl moved here because of visions and nightmares. Did those have something to do with Captain Whitlach also? She looks back at Carl, the frown now gone "You said you moved here a few years back because of visions and nightmares. What were they about? And how long was the Captain here in this town when you moved? And what did he do for a living? You mentioned certain dealings...?" She now notices her coffee by her elbow and begins to drink it as she waits for Carl's response.
Dice rolls
1d100: [23] = 23
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [67] = 67
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 1d100: [6] = 6
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [11] = 11
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. English-illiterate.
Consumer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:48 am”I’ll be honest folks, I am not entirely sure what is going on, at least not fully. There is something afoot in our sleepy little town, and it seems to be calling like minded folk. Dark things stir in the mountains, and they certainly don’t like honest folk in the least. I moved here a few years back because of similar reasons, visions and nightmares. They come and go, but in the last few weeks I’ve been seeing you folk, here and now. So there is that. I overheard my waitress telling one of you about someone being killed by dogs… or what not. Normally not that odd, except I knew the man, and am fairly certain there was more to it than a mere animal attack. His name was Captain Thurman Whitlach, a gentleman adventurer of sorts. Retired here a while back and built himself a home nearby. I’ve had dealings with him in the past, but we weren’t exactly friends if you know my meaning. If I were a betting man, I’d say his death has something to do with why you all felt pulled here.”
Dio mio. Ari quickly, unconsciously, and pretty much involuntarily crosses himself. "I am sorry for your...loss? I'm not sure I understand." He leans down and kisses the top of Claudia's head protectively and says quietly, reassuringly to her. "Everything's gonna be fine."
Virginia wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:02 pm"Carl, what were the exact circumstances of Captain Whitlach's death? How long ago was it? Where did it happen? Why do you suspect his death was unusual? And what happened to his body? You said you moved here a few years back because of visions and nightmares. What were they about? And how long was the Captain here in this town when you moved? And what did he do for a living? You mentioned certain dealings...?"
Pretty and smart. Careful, Ari. Aurelio just watches, somewhat in awe, as the pretty lady badgers the old black man with questions like she had him cuffed to a police desk. She throws questions like he throws punches--fast, hard, and constantly. He wonders, Has she ever gotten knocked-out for such an aggressive approach? He bides his time, and keeps his stupid mouth shut. Smarter people were handling this. They would help spell it out for him at the end.
Translation: My God
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [60] = 60 / 20%
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [69] = 69
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?

When Ari kisses the top of her head and reassures her that all will be okay, Claudia twists to look up at him sympathetically. Do you see monsters too, Uncle Ari? Her wide eyes sweep the room. And all of you too? Like calls to like, Claudia reasons. That makes sense.

Claudia takes the milk that is offered to her, and wanders away with it. She settles near a window to listen to the others discuss the fate of Captain Thurman Whitlach. The image of a dashing sea captain comes to Claudia’s mind. “Parrot?” tumbles from her lips before she takes a sip of her milk. She imagines a tall ship sailing in the mountains. “Not sailing...sledding?” The ship in her mind is now being pulled by hundreds of sled dogs. “Was he cruel to them?” Suddenly, Captain Whitlach doesn't seem like such a dashing character to Claudia. She frowns.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Carl’s Diner; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 16th, 1925. 10:25 AM
Virginia wrote:"Carl, what were the exact circumstances of Captain Whitlach's death? How long ago was it? Where did it happen? Why do you suspect his death was unusual? And what happened to his body?"
Carl raises a dark eyebrow as Virginia begins to rattle off questions. ”Eager, I used to be like that.” Carl says with a chuckle. ”Like you were told earlier, he was supposedly killed by wolves or wild dogs. Which is only odd because they tend to avoid people, as for his body, buried in the ground as far as I know.” Carl says, though to Virginia he seems emotionally distant to the implications of Captain Whitlach’s death.
Virginia wrote:"You said you moved here a few years back because of visions and nightmares. What were they about? And how long was the Captain here in this town when you moved? And what did he do for a living? You mentioned certain dealings...?"
Carl shakes his head. ”I don’t think we’re quite friendly enough for me to answer those questions yet. Well I suppose the one is fine. I think he moved here five or six years before me.” Carl says.
Aurelio wrote:"I am sorry for your...loss? I'm not sure I understand."
”While I appreciate the empathy, he wasn’t exactly my friend. We were at best contemporaries in a similar hobby.” Carl says, before sipping his coffee. ”World works in mysterious ways my Italian friend, I don’t rightly understand it either. Some say it’s god, trying to right things, by sending capable individuals to places that need them. Personally I think it’s something else, but I don’t rightly feel like explaining it at the moment.” Carl says.
Claudia wrote:“Parrot?... Not sailing...sledding?.. Was he cruel to them?”
Carl looks at Claudia. His eyes tell her, he understands. ”No, he was an army captain. For the most part he was a collector and book worm. Boring really.” Carl says in a calming voice.

Carl looks to the others in the room. ”What about you folk, ya’ll got anything to say?”

What are your intentions?
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [76] = 76 / 20%
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 / 1d100: [78] = 78
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?

“Book...worm?” Claudia asks Carl, her voice somewhat dreamy as she considers what this means. She imagines stacks upon stacks of leather bound books, guarded by a giant earthworm that slithers in and around them. Like a dragon watching over his treasure… “But where is the treasure?” The girl looks to Carl, expecting an answer out of him.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [21] = 21 /35%
JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10
JIC: 1d100: [82] = 82
Skills used: Invoke trust: 1d100: [43] = 43 /94%
Conditions: Spirit guide present

Virginia smiles at Carl's comment and listens attentively to what he says. She has a puzzled look on her face at the exchange between Carl and the girl, but gets the gist of Carl's information.

She smiles to herself, noting that though Carl did not answer her question about the Captain Whitlach's means of living, he mentioned some of it to the girl.

Once Carl pauses, she smiles and says "Can't help the questions, I'm afraid - they're a way of life for me now..." Towards the end of the sentence a faraway sad look passes across her face. She seems to quickly pull herself together and continues "Who found his body? Where did he die? And how long ago?"

Carl was not a good friend of the Captain, nor does he seem to be much cut up about his death. What's his motive for doing all this, I wonder...Does it have anything to do with his dealings or the Captain's collections? Or is he afraid? Out loud, she only asks "What did Captain Whitlach collect? Books? Whatever, umm, dealings you may have had with him, I don't care if they were shadowy. It seems there are much more dangerous elements in play here.. There are some ways even the most terrible person should not die of." Virginia has a haunted look on her face, as if re-living a terrible memory and her fists are clutched tight. With a shudder, she collects herself, looks into Carl's eyes as if inviting him to trust her, takes a deep breath, and continues "I do want to help. I know how it feels to be afraid of creatures nobody will believe even exist. Any information about the victim will be useful in finding the truth. After all, we" she looks around the room at the others with a small smile "were seemingly brought here for a purpose. Better make the best use of us by trusting us" Virginia ends with a faint smile.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [28] = 28 / 15%
JIC 1d20: 1d20: [20] = 20
JIC 1d100: 1d100: [75] = 75
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Claudia wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:22 am “Book...worm?” Claudia asks Carl, her voice somewhat dreamy as she considers what this means. She imagines stacks upon stacks of leather bound books, guarded by a giant earthworm that slithers in and around them. Like a dragon watching over his treasure… “But where is the treasure?” The girl looks to Carl, expecting an answer out of him.
Zachary glances at the girl as she speaks. Parrots? Treasure? What on earth is she thinking about? Has she been reading Treasure Island or something? I remember reading that book cover to cover way back when. Zachary grins at the memory, before remembering the situation and refocusing on the conversation.
Virginia wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:43 pm Carl was not a good friend of the Captain, nor does he seem to be much cut up about his death. What's his motive for doing all this, I wonder...Does it have anything to do with his dealings or the Captain's collections? Or is he afraid? Out loud, she only asks "What did Captain Whitlach collect? Books? Whatever, umm, dealings you may have had with him, I don't care if they were shadowy. It seems there are much more dangerous elements in play here.. There are some ways even the most terrible person should not die of." Virginia has a haunted look on her face, as if re-living a terrible memory and her fists are clutched tight. With a shudder, she collects herself, looks into Carl's eyes as if inviting him to trust her, takes a deep breath, and continues "I do want to help. I know how it feels to be afraid of creatures nobody will believe even exist. Any information about the victim will be useful in finding the truth. After all, we" she looks around the room at the others with a small smile "were seemingly brought here for a purpose. Better make the best use of us by trusting us" Virginia ends with a faint smile.
Zachary is taken aback as Virginia throws question after question at Carl, but he is impressed. Nothing wrong with a little curiosity. Zachary continues to listen as Virginia continues asking questions. Zachary freezes however, when Virginia mentions "strange creatures" and her subsequent reaction. Are we thinking about the same creatures? Poor woman might have gone through a rough encounter with these 'creatures' she's referring to. Better not be too open and come across as a nutjob though. Lord knows how well that worked last time. Better stick to the middle ground.

Splindt turns to Carl and tries to give him a friendly smile. "Agreed, I'd like to help too. I work as a private investigator and work has been... let's say pretty scarce lately. I'm particularly interested in this young woman's question regarding where he died. Are the cops looking into it right now?" Taking a moment to consider the words in his next sentence, Zachary stares at the ground and continues. "Doesn't make sense for a military man to go down like that, even against some wolves. Stranger still that you mention his death 'pulled' us here." Here we go. "Almost sounds like whatever killed this man... can do things other animals wouldn't normally be able to do." Splindt takes a quick look at the group to see if anyone reacts.
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [10] = 10
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5 1d100: [92] = 92
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [22] = 22
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. English-illiterate.
Consumer wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:26 am”While I appreciate the empathy, he wasn’t exactly my friend. We were at best contemporaries in a similar hobby.” Carl says, before sipping his coffee. ”World works in mysterious ways my Italian friend, I don’t rightly understand it either. Some say it’s god, trying to right things, by sending capable individuals to places that need them. Personally I think it’s something else, but I don’t rightly feel like explaining it at the moment.” Carl says.
Vecchi peccati hanno le ombre lunghe.†1 Aurelio narrows his eyes ever so slightly at Carl, as if to penetrate into his soul and beyond the murky word soup the black man was throwing up as a smoke screen. What things to be shameful of in front of God have you been a party to, old man? "Whoever your 'some' are, I think they have the right of it. Providence is as real and bittersweet as the coffee you serve."
Virginia wrote:"I do want to help. I know how it feels to be afraid of creatures nobody will believe even exist. Any information about the victim will be useful in finding the truth. After all, we were seemingly brought here for a purpose. Better make the best use of us by trusting us."
Ari stands up straight and tall at the pretty lady's words. "Dagli amici mi guardia Dio, dai nemici mi guardio io."†2 He echoes. "God guards me from my friends; I guard myself from my enemies...it's an appropriate proverb popular in Brescia." Not sure if anyone truly understands him and his big, stupid mouth, he quickly adds, "Ma'am, we're here for a spell. If you think there's an 'us' worth protecting among this odd lot," he looks around at those gathered, "then I'd be a fool not to take the opportunity to do my training here, and to help 'us' out with whatever needs doing." He then nods casually at Zachary when the man speaks of his being an investigator. The double mention of "animals" escapes Ari's presence of mind, however, as both the curious lady and his niece are driving him to distraction.
†1
Translation: Old sins have long shadows.
†2
Translation: God guards me from my friends; I guard myself from my enemies. This is a very old declaration of both faith and self-reliance. A reminder to beware of both friend and foe, this proverb conveys the certainty that a higher power offers all the necessary protection when dealing with friends. It’s also a call to protect oneself from any enemies, rather than relying on God or someone else to do it for you.
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Callum »

Percep 40%: 1d100: [38] = 38
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 1d100: [20] = 20

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Callum accepts the fresh cup of coffee and sits quietly listening. Something in what Carl says about the animal attack that killed the Captain and what Virginia says about creature, sparks a memory from the trenches during the war. Did they follow me? How could that be, they're already here. Killed Captain Whitlach. If it is the same... creatures.

Pulling himself out of his memory, he says in almost a whisper, "I've seen something before that wasn't a dog or a wolf, but it was trying hard to be one." Realizing he said that out loud, Callum inhales sharply and glances around quickly at the others to see if any heard what he said.

Seeming to relax, Callum sips his coffee and says, "There's a lot of questions and not a lot of answers. Which is about right for my life lately." He nods to Virgina and Zachary, "You two seems to be professionals here. I'm just a mechanic and driver, though I'm not really doing either of those at the moment. Seems to be, if we're going to actually look into this, you two should take the lead." He says with an Irish/Boston lilt to his speech.

Callum looks around again, grinning a little to himself as he starts to warm up to this odd group of people. I have a feeling I should just hop the next train and get out of here but if I do most of these people will not survive whatever's going on here.
User avatar
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Virginia »

Zachary Splindt wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:08 pm
Splindt turns to Carl and tries to give him a friendly smile. "Agreed, I'd like to help too. I work as a private investigator and work has been... let's say pretty scarce lately. I'm particularly interested in this young woman's question regarding where he died. Are the cops looking into it right now?" Taking a moment to consider the words in his next sentence, Zachary stares at the ground and continues. "Doesn't make sense for a military man to go down like that, even against some wolves. Stranger still that you mention his death 'pulled' us here." Here we go. "Almost sounds like whatever killed this man... can do things other animals wouldn't normally be able to do." Splindt takes a quick look at the group to see if anyone reacts.


Virginia looks at the man who says he is an investigator with something close to relief. I'm glad there's somebody other than just me who's an investigator! Sounds as if he's had some strange encounters too. She nods along as he asks his questions and shows no surprise at his mention of abnormal animals, as if it were a common occurrence.


Aurelio wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:16 pm
Ari stands up straight and tall at the pretty lady's words. "Dagli amici mi guardia Dio, dai nemici mi guardio io."†2 He echoes. "God guards me from my friends; I guard myself from my enemies...it's an appropriate proverb popular in Brescia." Not sure if anyone truly understands him and his big, stupid mouth, he quickly adds, "Ma'am, we're here for a spell. If you think there's an 'us' worth protecting among this odd lot," he looks around at those gathered, "then I'd be a fool not to take the opportunity to do my training here, and to help 'us' out with whatever needs doing."
Virginia looks at the Italian man and says "I have no idea yet if we need protection. But I, and I'm sure the others, appreciate your offer of help. I'm hoping to convince Carl here to trust us and tell us more about the situation here."

Callum wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:37 pm Seeming to relax, Callum sips his coffee and says, "There's a lot of questions and not a lot of answers. Which is about right for my life lately." He nods to Virgina and Zachary, "You two seems to be professionals here. I'm just a mechanic and driver, though I'm not really doing either of those at the moment. Seems to be, if we're going to actually look into this, you two should take the lead." He says with an Irish/Boston lilt to his speech.
Virginia smiles at the man calling himself a mechanic and driver and says "Well, I'd like to know more about what's going on here before deciding anything. If we decide to look into it, we should all work together." She then turns around and looks expectantly at Carl.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Carl’s Diner; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 16th, 1925. 10:35 AM
Claudia wrote:“Book...worm?...But where is the treasure?”
Carl smiles warmly, but this time he doesn’t seem to have a ready answer for Claudia.
Virginia wrote:"Can't help the questions, I'm afraid - they're a way of life for me now...Who found his body? Where did he die? And how long ago?"
Carl shrugs. ”One of the locals, not sure who. It was two weeks ago.” Carl says, thoughtfully.
Virginia wrote:"What did Captain Whitlach collect? Books? Whatever, umm, dealings you may have had with him, I don't care if they were shadowy. It seems there are much more dangerous elements in play here.. There are some ways even the most terrible person should not die of."
Carl looks puzzled by Virginia’s statement. ”Books, oddities, esoteric stuff really. As for my dealings with him, I certainly wouldn’t call them shady, but I also don’t see them as relevant to the situation either.” Carl says.
Virginia wrote:"I do want to help. I know how it feels to be afraid of creatures nobody will believe even exist. Any information about the victim will be useful in finding the truth. After all, we… were seemingly brought here for a purpose. Better make the best use of us by trusting us" Virginia ends with a faint smile.
Carl nods. ”I’m not sure what more I can tell you. I personally haven’t made any efforts to investigate his unfortunate demise, as I’ve been busy with other things. As for trusting, I think you will find that I’ve been more than trusting. How many of you would have broached any of this subject without a prompt? I don’t think many.” Carl says, his smile faded a bit.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Agreed, I'd like to help too. I work as a private investigator and work has been... let's say pretty scarce lately. I'm particularly interested in this young woman's question regarding where he died. Are the cops looking into it right now?"
”Died outside his home, I doubt the sheriff is putting any more effort into investigating it than he did the first day. According to him, wild dogs or wolves caught the old man outside and killed him, not much else to look into, save next of kin.” Carl answers.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Doesn't make sense for a military man to go down like that, even against some wolves. Stranger still that you mention his death 'pulled' us here... Almost sounds like whatever killed this man... can do things other animals wouldn't normally be able to do."
Carl shrugs once more. ”May be something to look into, and likely is the case.” Carl says.
Aurelio wrote:"Whoever your 'some' are, I think they have the right of it. Providence is as real and bittersweet as the coffee you serve."
Carl nods, and takes a sip of his own coffee.
Aurelio wrote:"Dagli amici mi guardia Dio, dai nemici mi guardio io... God guards me from my friends; I guard myself from my enemies...it's an appropriate proverb popular in Brescia... Ma'am, we're here for a spell. If you think there's an 'us' worth protecting among this odd lot, then I'd be a fool not to take the opportunity to do my training here, and to help 'us' out with whatever needs doing."
Carl watches Aurelio speak, but has nothing to add.
Callum wrote:"I've seen something before that wasn't a dog or a wolf, but it was trying hard to be one."
Again Carl nods.
Callum wrote:"There's a lot of questions and not a lot of answers. Which is about right for my life lately... You two seems to be professionals here. I'm just a mechanic and driver, though I'm not really doing either of those at the moment. Seems to be, if we're going to actually look into this, you two should take the lead." He says with an Irish/Boston lilt to his speech.
”I don’t have much else to offer you, save directions to Whitlach’s House. Whether you investigate it or not, likely doesn’t factor me. I’m certain the powers that be, only wanted me to facilitate the meeting. Wouldn’t be the first time, hopefully won’t be the last. But seeing as none of you are local, I would also advise finding lodgings, nights get cold here, and to be neighborly I offer you free meals if you stop in, at least till you’re on your feet.” Carl says with a bit of a sigh.

What are your intentions?
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [58] = 58
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 1d100: [64] = 64
Language: English 60% / 1d100: [2] = 2
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. English-illiterate.
Virginia wrote:Virginia looks at the Italian man and says "I have no idea yet if we need protection. But I, and I'm sure the others, appreciate your offer of help. I'm hoping to convince Carl here to trust us and tell us more about the situation here."
Ari regards her closely for signs of insincerity or subtle insult. If she's mocking you, dummy, you're too stupid to notice. He decides to continue to assume the best of her, and considers resting a hand reassuringly on her shoulder. He stops after only the tiniest fraction of a motion of his hand. Questa non è l'Italia, Aurelio.† People are not so quick to touch or embrace here. She would think you thought her weak, or were being inappropriately familiar. Use your words. Ari struggles to find the words appropriate to his conflicting instincts and thoughts, and so says nothing...awkwardly.
Carl wrote:”I don’t have much else to offer you, save directions to Whitlach’s House. Whether you investigate it or not, likely doesn’t factor me. I’m certain the powers that be, only wanted me to facilitate the meeting. Wouldn’t be the first time, hopefully won’t be the last. But seeing as none of you are local, I would also advise finding lodgings, nights get cold here, and to be neighborly I offer you free meals if you stop in, at least till you’re on your feet.”
Ari, a man who knows the sound advice of a solid coach when he hears it nods with vigor. He looks around at the other adults. "Si. That is what we must do. Claudia and I can follow whoever has a vehicle, and I can offer you my protection." He looks at Claudia. "Don't forget your food. You're too thin, and we don't waste money or the good food prepared for us by good people." He returns his attention to the adults. "We go to this dead man's house," Ari crosses himself, "and we find out what we can find out. Perhaps his soul is not at rest." He points a kielbasa-sized finger at Callum, "You can drive these people, si?" He looks to the others, "and when we arrive, you can find what needs finding." He looks once again at Claudia before speaking to the others again, "and if you know of decent lodging, please let me know. We are in need, Claudia and I." It's at this point that he realizes he hasn't introduced himself. His cheeks flush slightly in mild embarrassment. "And by 'I', I mean my name is Aurelio Giorgio Di Mantua. I'm a boxer." He looks to Zachary & Callum, "Perhaps you heard of my recent fight with Jack Johnson?"
Translation: This isn't Italy, Aurelio.
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Virginia
Bronze Level Patron
Bronze Level Patron
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Virginia »

Perception: 1d100: [86] = 86 /35
JIC: 1d100: [51] = 51
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18
Conditions: Spirit Guide present
Aurelio wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:05 pm
Ari regards her closely for signs of insincerity or subtle insult. If she's mocking you, dummy, you're too stupid to notice. He decides to continue to assume the best of her, and considers resting a hand reassuringly on her shoulder. He stops after only the tiniest fraction of a motion of his hand. Questa non è l'Italia, Aurelio.† People are not so quick to touch or embrace here. She would think you thought her weak, or were being inappropriately familiar. Use your words. Ari struggles to find the words appropriate to his conflicting instincts and thoughts, and so says nothing...awkwardly.
Virginia is disconcerted by the large Italian man almost scowling at her. Is he going to attack me? But what for? She stiffens as she sees him move his hand a little, and then looks relieved when he turns away to talk to Carl.
Consumer wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:38 am
”I don’t have much else to offer you, save directions to Whitlach’s House. Whether you investigate it or not, likely doesn’t factor me. I’m certain the powers that be, only wanted me to facilitate the meeting. Wouldn’t be the first time, hopefully won’t be the last. But seeing as none of you are local, I would also advise finding lodgings, nights get cold here, and to be neighborly I offer you free meals if you stop in, at least till you’re on your feet.” Carl says with a bit of a sigh.
Virginia looks thoughtfully at Carl as if to assess if Carl really doesn't care whether we investigate this matter or not. Does he really not care about this matter?

After Mr. Di Mantua finishes talking, Virginia looks to Carl again "Yes, please give us the directions to the Captain's house. How far is it from here? Does anybody live there now? Who does it belong to? It would also help to talk to the local coppers, so directions to the police station would be great as well. In fact, since we will need food and lodging, and will probably have to move around town a lot, perhaps you could sketch a map of the town for us?" she asks.

After being stared at by Mr. Di Mantua, Virginia feels uncomfortable to offer rides in her car to them all. "Better wait until I get to know them better. I wonder why he was frowning at me so.. And he had a huge smile before.. Is he dangerous? Does he think I offended him in some way? Given that we just met, it seems unlikely." She hesitates and finally decides it's probably okay to just say her name "I'm Virginia Revel, by the way." she says to everyone in the diner.
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Callum »

Percep 40%: 1d100: [96] = 96
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 1d100: [53] = 53

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Callum sips on his coffee as the conversations continues then takes a final pull of the drink. Setting the empty cup down he gives the group a crooked smile, "Where are me manors. Name's Callum Doyle." Turning to the owner of the diner, he says, "That is a lot of information to ponder Mr. ah Carl but I agree, if any of us are gonna look into this matter, finding a place to sleep should be the first priority."

Looking up at the man that towers more than a foot over him, Callum says to Ari, "I prefer to listen to a good ball game, when they're on the radio." He gives the man an honest smile, "I said I was a driver my friend. Not that I had a car. Sold that before I came back East. I've been, um, taking trains since then." He looks over at the private investigator and gives the other man a slick smile, "One thing I have learned by taking the trains is that towns like this usually have one main road with most everything laid out on it and there's likely gonna be a hotel and a boarding house near the train station."

Giving the lady and the large man and girl a look, Callum says, "You three will probably want the hotel. But me and the private dick will be better off in the boarding house." He gives Splindt a questioning look that says 'your choice'.

Glancing between everyone there, Callum says, "At least, that's my plan. Then we can meet in the hotel lobby and start looking around. Though, if I'm gonna be staying in town for a while, I'll need to find a job."
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Aurelio »

(rolls carried over)
Virginia wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:07 pmVirginia is disconcerted by the large Italian man almost scowling at her. Is he going to attack me? But what for? She stiffens as she sees him move his hand a little, and then looks relieved when he turns away to talk to Carl.
 †Teste di cazzo, she's afraid of me! Ari's mood hits a dip as he realizes his oafishness has created a bad impression in the mind of the pretty...of the woman who goes by the name Virginia.
Callum wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:00 pmLooking up at the man that towers more than a foot over him, Callum says to Ari, "I prefer to listen to a good ball game, when they're on the radio." He gives the man an honest smile, "I said I was a driver my friend. Not that I had a car. Sold that before I came back East. I've been, um, taking trains since then." He looks over at the private investigator and gives the other man a slick smile, "One thing I have learned by taking the trains is that towns like this usually have one main road with most everything laid out on it and there's likely gonna be a hotel and a boarding house near the train station."
Ari nods, finally understanding. "I see. I have my motorcycle. Claudia, my niece, rides in the sidecar. Most towns are like such? This is good information to have." He extends a large hand in introduction, "Aurelio Giorgio Di Mantua. Friends call me Ari. Yes, Claudia and I will need to rent a room, and I need to find if there is a gym here, and some gainful work. Losing a prizefight doesn't pay well."

Ari then gestures towards and for Claudia, "This is my niece, Claudia. Toppolina, introduce yourself to the nice people."
Translation: This would be incredibly crude to translate. Suffice it to say it's an exclamation of disgust and/or approbation.
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception 1D100: 1d100: [69] = 69 (15%)
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [18] = 18
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [57] = 57
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Noticing everyone introducing themselves, Zachary takes a small step forward. "Guess I haven't introduced myself either. I'm Zachary Splindt. Pleasure to be working with you all."
Aurelio wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:05 pm He returns his attention to the adults. "We go to this dead man's house," Ari crosses himself, "and we find out what we can find out. Perhaps his soul is not at rest." He points a kielbasa-sized finger at Callum, "You can drive these people, si?" He looks to the others, "and when we arrive, you can find what needs finding." He looks once again at Claudia before speaking to the others again, "and if you know of decent lodging, please let me know. We are in need, Claudia and I." It's at this point that he realizes he hasn't introduced himself. His cheeks flush slightly in mild embarrassment. "And by 'I', I mean my name is Aurelio Giorgio Di Mantua. I'm a boxer." He looks to Zachary & Callum, "Perhaps you heard of my recent fight with Jack Johnson?"
Translation: This isn't Italy, Aurelio.
Well, it wouldn't hurt to have some muscle with us. I'm not really keen on going toe-to-toe up-close with wolves.

As Zachary continues to listen to Ari, he tenses up slightly at the implication of a 'soul not at rest', and quickly scans the diner. His attention is diverted to a nearby stool near the counter. Checking behind him one more time, he takes a deep breath and refocuses on the conversation. "I agree with Ari. If the coppers are checking the crime scene, then there probably aren't a lot of prying eyes on the guy's house. Why don't we go find our lodgings first like Callum recommended, and make our way over once we regroup? It's still morning, so we'll probably have plenty of time."
Callum wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:00 pm Looking up at the man that towers more than a foot over him, Callum says to Ari, "I prefer to listen to a good ball game, when they're on the radio." He gives the man an honest smile, "I said I was a driver my friend. Not that I had a car. Sold that before I came back East. I've been, um, taking trains since then." He looks over at the private investigator and gives the other man a slick smile, "One thing I have learned by taking the trains is that towns like this usually have one main road with most everything laid out on it and there's likely gonna be a hotel and a boarding house near the train station."

Giving the lady and the large man and girl a look, Callum says, "You three will probably want the hotel. But me and the private dick will be better off in the boarding house." He gives Splindt a questioning look that says 'your choice'.

Glancing between everyone there, Callum says, "At least, that's my plan. Then we can meet in the hotel lobby and start looking around. Though, if I'm gonna be staying in town for a while, I'll need to find a job."
Zachary scratches his head as he considers the idea. Not sure that I have much funds left to afford something like that. Might be worth getting some work on the side as well. Maybe Carl or the waitress might have an idea. Zachary shakes his head. "Wouldn't mind a bit of company if we're working together, though I'm a bit strapped for cash myself. Want to plan this out on the way over?"
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [86] = 86 / 20%
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 / 1d100: [14] = 14
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?

When Carl doesn’t provide an answer regarding Captain Whitlock’s “treasure,” Claudia seems to sulk. She begins to wonder where one might keep a large amount of books and other curiosities. Home? Library? She imagines the interior of the captain’s house, and wonders if there is a library there. Maybe there is a secret passage…hidden treasure! Claudia looks to her uncle, wanting to pass along her thoughts, but he seems preoccupied by Virginia so she stays silent. While the others begin to discuss transportation and hotel rooms, Claudia finishes her milk and cold eggs, and hopes for a slice of pie for her efforts.
Aurelio wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:59 amAri then gestures towards and for Claudia, "This is my niece, Claudia. Toppolina, introduce yourself to the nice people."
“Claudia,” she says when prompted to do so, then flashes everyone a small smile. After all the introductions have been made, Claudia realizes that one being in the room hasn’t spoken up. She moves to stand before Virginia’s spirit guide. Looking up at her, Claudia repeats her name aloud. “Claudia.” She waits for the spirit to introduce herself too.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Carl’s Diner; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 16th, 1925. 10:50 AM
Investigation Level: x1

The group converses among themselves taking Carl's advice to heart. This also prompts a series of introductions among those gathered. All in all a weird, but friendly scene given the nature of the groups meeting. Carl for his part keeps to himself, glancing at the newspaper and sipping his coffee.
Virginia wrote:Virginia looks to Carl again "Yes, please give us the directions to the Captain's house. How far is it from here? Does anybody live there now? Who does it belong to? It would also help to talk to the local coppers, so directions to the police station would be great as well. In fact, since we will need food and lodging, and will probably have to move around town a lot, perhaps you could sketch a map of the town for us?" she asks.
Carl nods. "Simple enough." He says before getting ff his stool and going behind the counter for a few moments. Producing a pad of paper and a pencil. He scribbles on the pad for a minute or so, before tearing the page free, and making his way back around the counter. Once seated again he answers Virginia's other questions. "About two miles outside of town proper. No one is living there now as far as I know. I doubt the sheriff would be particularly helpful, and as for directions, his office is two towns over, so that might take me a minute to write directions. As for a map of town... Not much to it, it's two roads, if you manage to get lost, I would be surprised." Carl says the last bit with a smile.
Callum wrote:"That is a lot of information to ponder Mr. ah Carl but I agree, if any of us are gonna look into this matter, finding a place to sleep should be the first priority."
"There is the Lafayette Hotel in town, and the Dunglen Hotel across the river. No boarding houses of note in Prosperity." Carl says clearing up a lack of town knowledge for the group.

Meanwhile Claudia approaches the spirit, and introduces herself. Virginia is actually oblivious to the interaction, and to everyone else involved, it appears the child is strange. To Claudia though she sees the spirit turn, and appear to crouch before her. While she can't hear anything come from the spirit's mouth she is warmed by the feeling that one gets when praised. The spirit smiles and pats Claudia's head, not that the girl can feel it, but it's surprisingly comforting.

Eventually the group figures out a basic plan and makes their way out of Carl's Dinner.

GM Note: We're now in adventure territory, When posting, please also add location to your post. i.e. Dunglen Hotel or Rail Office, etc.

Please continue posting here
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Theo »

Perception: d100<25: [37] = 0
JIC: d20: [11] = 11

After Carl says, ”Hmmm… I think you missed the party. But then again Prophesy and Divinations are not always a precise thing, sometimes it just gets you to sort of the area you’re needed.

Theo looks startled and confused because he was eave’s dropping and thought it was unnoticed. It takes a moment to realize that he is being acknowledged, and a he awkwardly stands up and walks towards the black man. Did he say prophesy and Divination?

When he stands you see a wall of a man. He is 6’4”, 200lbs. He is very athletic and muscular. He has brown hair and a bushy beard. He is wearing wool pants and a henley shirt with suspenders and a newsboy cap.

When he gets there he extends his large hand to Carl and says, “I don’t believe we have met. I am Detective Theo Darrow, Richmond PD.” After he shakes Carl’s hand. He holds up his hands in front of him as if to show he is unarmed, and looks at everyone and says half jokingly says; “Don’t worryn I am here on a personal errand, not a professional one.” He giggles a little. “And who might you fine folks be.” He will extend a hand to each one as they introduce themselves.

Carl then says,”I wouldn’t be surprised if you and my new friends had more in common than you’d think.”[/color] Carl says, before turning back to the group at large. ”Let’s get you breakfast and I would like to hear the story.” Carl says.

Theo will sit in empty chair or pull one up to the periphery at the invitation. Before the group begins speaking, he looks at the group curiously and says, “Carl, I heard you say something about prophesy and divination. Are you guys a church group?”
Last edited by Theo on Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 46% / 1d100: [29] = 29
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 1d100: [18] = 18
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [65] = 65
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [1] = 1
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Last GM Post wrote:Carl looks over to the group. ”Alright business is done and now I am free to talk. I am going to guess since I didn’t have any dreams of note last night, that you’ve solved the business of Mr. Whitlach’s demise. You’ll have to tell me the story.” Carl says before reaching for his coffee. ”So you may be wondering what just happened. I guess Old Captain Whitlach wasn’t as cross with me as I had previously thought. That was his lawyer, and we were settling his estate, which was left to me. I know I’m surprised too. But seeing as I already have a home, I was thinking that since you helped deal with that problem, that I would offer to let you all stay there. I would only require that you all maintain the place while you’re there.” Carl says. Carl turns his attention to Theo. ”Hmmm… I think you missed the party. But then again Prophesy and Divinations are not always a precise thing, sometimes it just gets you to sort of the area you’re needed.” The older black man says. ”I wouldn’t be surprised if you and my new friends had more in common than you’d think.” Carl says, before turning back to the group at large. ”Lets get you breakfast and I would like to hear the story.” Carl says. On the other side of the room, the man with the guitar continues to play softly, he doesn’t seem to be paying the group a lot of attention.
Aurelio tousles Claudia's hair and says affectionately, "Order a slice of fruit pie, Toppolina, but no more sweets for the day." He then looks around the diner, notes the arrival of another athletic fellow, then says, "I could use practice making my English better. I will tell you the story, Carl." He then looks around at the others, a small, hollow place in his midsection at the departure of Virginia. "Please jump in with any details I might miss," he asks of the others. He then spends some time going over what happened from their initial meeting of Carl to the smashing of the Witch's Bottle. When he's done, some time has passed, his plate is empty, and he's on his third cup of coffee. What I wouldn't give for an espresso. All this weak coffee seems so inefficient. The long ritual of drinking it is kind of pleasant, however. Americans seem simultaneously more relaxed and more frenetic. They're a very strange lot.
Theo wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:30 pm"And who might you fine folks be.” He will extend a hand to each one as they introduce themselves.
Ari stands and half-steps to shake the newcomer's hand. The newcomer will find Ari to be just a little taller, and a fair bit larger in frame than his own not insignificant size. "Aurelio Di Mantua," he then gestures to Claudia (likely eating pie at this point) and adds, "my niece, Claudia." If Theo is a sporting man, he might be familiar with Aurelio's somewhat recent loss to the famous (or infamous) negro boxer Jack Johnson.
Theo wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:30 pmTheo will sit in empty chair or pull one up to the periphery at the invitation. Before the group begins speaking, he looks at the group curiously and says, “Carl, I heard you say something about prophesy and divination. Are you guys a church group?”
Aurelio puzzles over this expression. He looks to the other men present. "What is a 'church group', miei amici?"
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Theo »

Perception: d100<25: [17*] = 1
JIC: d20: [7] = 7
Aurelio wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:36 am Ari stands and half-steps to shake the newcomer's hand. The newcomer will find Ari to be just a little taller, and a fair bit larger in frame than his own not insignificant size. "Aurelio Di Mantua," he then gestures to Claudia (likely eating pie at this point) and adds, "my niece, Claudia." If Theo is a sporting man, he might be familiar with Aurelio's somewhat recent loss to the famous (or infamous) negro boxer Jack Johnson.
Theo returns the hand shake excitedly, He is bigger than I ever imagined. “I can’t believe it, I listened to your fight with Jack Johnson. I was Army Boxing Champion two years straight. I love the sport. Even trained in Boxe Francais Savate when I was in France. I am a huge fan of yours. It is an honor to meet you.” When he motions to Claudia, he tips his hat and says “It is a pleasure Miss Claudia.”
Aurelio wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:36 am Aurelio puzzles over this expression. He looks to the other men present. "What is a 'church group', miei amici?"
“Sorry, usually when I hear those terms it is in relation to biblical teachings.”
Last edited by Theo on Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [75] = 75 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 / 1d100: [17] = 17
Current I.S.P.: 17/17
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Skills:

Carl’s Diner

When Aurelio gives his permission to order a slice of pie for breakfast, Claudia’s eyes sparkle. Really? She can’t hardly believe her luck, but wastes no time in choosing a slice of apple pie to enjoy with her glass of milk.

When her uncle starts telling Carl their story, Claudia almost chimes in with how she surprised Ari by healing him. She takes one look at the newcomer, Theo, and decides against it. Uncle Ari said I should be careful, she thinks, shoveling another bite of apple into her mouth. Claudia relaxes a little around Theo after Ari introduces her. She smiles at the man tipping his hat and gives him a polite, “Hello,” in return. While Claudia doesn’t fully understand what Theo means by prophecy and divination, she senses that he was drawn to Prosperity by unseen forces. “You had dreams too,” she mutters. It’s not really a question.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception 1D100: 1d100: [16] = 16 (21%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [81] = 81
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [2] = 2
Conditions: Closed to the supernatural

Zachary sits back as Ari recounts what transpired at the captain's house that day, and jumps in to help clarify if Ari's English is giving him trouble. The detective winces at Carl's mention of "prophecy and divination," and the feeling that Carl might be hiding something resurfaces briefly. Cautiously, Zachary dismisses it as a joke or a figure of speech. Shaking his head, the detective refocuses back to the conversation.
Theo wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:30 pm When he gets there he extends his large hand to Carl and says, “I don’t believe we have met. I am Detective Theo Darrow, Richmond PD.” After he shakes Carl’s hand. He holds up his hands in front of him as if to show he is unarmed, and looks at everyone and says half jokingly says; “Don’t worry I am here on a personal errand, not a professional one.” He giggles a little. “And who might you fine folks be.” He will extend a hand to each one as they introduce themselves.
Zachary grins as he returns the newcomer's handshake. "Nice to meet a fellow partner in crime." replies Zachary jovially, "Name's Zachary Splindt. Former Pinkerton, now freelance. Bet we'll get along fine." As long as bureaucratic red tape doesn't get involved, Zachary thinks to himself as he takes a seat.
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Theo »

Perception: 25% / 1d100: [83] = 83
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 1d100: [77] = 77
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural.+ 1v Magic/Horror Factor, +3 Psionics.
Claudia wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:53 am Carl’s Diner
“You had dreams too,” she mutters.
Theo struggles to make out what Claudia said but can’t quite make it out. Did she say something about dreams?

He turns his attention to Zachary.
Zachary Splindt wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:27 am
Zachary grins as he returns the newcomer's handshake. "Nice to meet a fellow partner in crime." replies Zachary jovially, "Name's Zachary Splindt. Former Pinkerton, now freelance. Bet we'll get along fine." As long as bureaucratic red tape doesn't get involved, Zachary thinks to himself as he takes a seat.
“Pleasure to meet you Mr. Splindt. I have worked with Pinkertons on more than one occasion and always prefer to be on their side rather than the alternative.” He says with a grin.
Maybe
“Carl, you seemed to say I was somehow drawn here. Before I tell you my story can you elaborate what you mean by that?”
Dice rolls
d100<25: [67] = 0
d20: [3] = 3
1d100: [96] = 96
1d100: [67] = 67
1d100: [24] = 24
1d100: [26] = 26
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Consumer »

A Cold Morning in February
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: February 17th, 1925. 9:00 AM (20 minutes have passed)
Weather: 10 degrees Fahrenheit; Heavy Overcast and snowing, 2-3 inches of accumulation over the day.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1- Under the Microscope (Claudia is at x1)
Theo wrote: “Carl, I heard you say something about prophecy and divination. Are you guys a church group?”
Carl shakes his head. ”Not at all, well not for that at least. Carl responds. Carl then proceeds to listen to Aurelio tell the tale of what happened. The waitress does as asked and brings a piece of pie over to Claudia. Carl nods along with the story, as if making mental notes. Zachary adds a few details, but more often helps Aurelio get a phrase out that is odd to him. Claudia finds the pie to be very tasty, but ironically can’t identify what type of fruit filling it is. Aurelio seems to have a fan in the stranger, as they chat after the tale is told. Before Claudia more or less states a fact to Theo. Zachary introduces himself to Theo, which is returned sort of, as this whole time Theo hasn’t mentioned his own name to anyone.
Theo wrote:“Carl, you seemed to say I was somehow drawn here. Before I tell you my story can you elaborate what you mean by that?”
Carl shrugs. ”I don’t think there is much more to elaborate on. These fine folk had dreams that brought them this way, I too had dreams, but they were much different than theirs. And judging by your question, I am certainly not wrong.” Carl says. ”I happen to have a talent in deciphering the contents of dreams, where they don’t.” Carl adds.

Callum doesn’t say anything, but seems to be listening as he eats the hearty breakfast the waitress Janice put in front of him. The Guitarist, continues to play an almost haunting melody quiet enough to not interrupt the conversation, but loud enough that it can be heard.

What Are Your Intentions?

Butcher’s Bill
Aurellio: HP: 24/33, S.D.C.: 8/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 17/17
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 22/22.
Zachary: HP: 14/21, S.D.C. 4/29, I.S.P.: 7/7, Fractured Ribs (-2 Initiative till healed).
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Theo »

Consumer wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:20 pm
Carl shrugs. ”I don’t think there is much more to elaborate on. These fine folk had dreams that brought them this way, I too had dreams, but they were much different than theirs. And judging by your question, I am certainly not wrong.” Carl says. ”I happen to have a talent in deciphering the contents of dreams, where they don’t.” Carl adds.
“Dreams . . . yes, Dreams. I had a dream. I had a very odd encounter two days ago. I caught a case. A man brutally murdered a woman and then killed himself. The circumstances were strange. The man was from these parts. He shared the same last name of my best friend who died in the war, who was also from here. Probably related. I have spent 7 years avoiding thinking about him, and how he died. Because I avoided thinking about him I also avoided visiting his family here.” Don’t tell them too much Theo, they will think you are nuts. “Without going into too much detail, there were things in that crime scene forced me to remember forced me to confront the circumstances surrounding his death. I felt as if fate was telling me I needed to come here and see his family. I drove here yesterday morning and visited with his family. Told them what they deserved to know about him, gave them the closure they needed. I was going to track down information on the man in my investigation today. But last night I had a dream about an old man, howls of an animal and blood, and when I awoke, I felt compelled by something more than hunger to come here.” He said concerned. “Do you know what is happening to me?”
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [70] = 70 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 / 1d100: [66] = 66
Current I.S.P.: 17/17
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Skills:

Carl’s Diner

Claudia happily eats dessert for breakfast. What a strange apple, she thinks to herself, unable to determine the true flavor of pie before her. She stays silent, until Theo mentions his latest dream. “You dreamt of the captain,” Claudia says, her eyes on her plate still. “But don’t worry, we broke the bottle.”
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 46% / 1d100: [55] = 55
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 1d100: [61] = 61
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [61] = 61
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [53] = 53
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Unnamed Stranger wrote:“I can’t believe it, I listened to your fight with Jack Johnson. I was Army Boxing Champion two years straight. I love the sport. Even trained in Boxe Francais Savate when I was in France. I am a huge fan of yours. It is an honor to meet you.”
Aurelio shakes his hand cordially. "I could have taken Johnson in a straight fight, but that negro's skills are not to be questioned. The man is a master boxer, and he beat me soundly by the rules of the sport. Some...what's the phrase? 'Sour grapes' have suggested cheating, but I tell you that's nonsense. He's just a better boxer than me...for now." Ari's finally able to speak with someone who has a grasp of such matters, and so is eager to share. "An oriental man I called 'master' for some seasons while I was coming up; taught me what I know of the foot and of the ground. Johnson's skills are more narrowly focused. Still, his win shows I must improve greatly to best him. Perhaps we can spar after I've recovered?" It would be good to have a person who's not trying to kill me with whom to spar.
Unnamed Stranger wrote:“Do you know what is happening to me?”
Ari jerks a thumb towards Claudia. "She's likely got the right of it." He then adds, "You know my name, what's yours, friend?"
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Theo »

Aurelio wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:08 pm "I could have taken Johnson in a straight fight, but that negro's skills are not to be questioned. The man is a master boxer, and he beat me soundly by the rules of the sport. Some...what's the phrase? 'Sour grapes' have suggested cheating, but I tell you that's nonsense. He's just a better boxer than me...for now."


"I think he is both technically gifted and also quite savvy. He has mastered the art of wearing his opponents down before then unleashing his skills. You fared far better than most. I spoke to a friend that was at the fight and they said you seemed to be holding something back. But he had money bet on you to win, so he was just probably looking to explain why he was wrong. He said he has heard you are one of the strongest men who has ever boxed."
Aurelio wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:08 pm "An oriental man I called 'master' for some seasons while I was coming up; taught me what I know of the foot and of the ground. Johnson's skills are more narrowly focused. Still, his win shows I must improve greatly to best him. Perhaps we can spar after I've recovered?"
I have heard of these fighting styles of the East. I hope he shares some of that knowledge. "Sparring with you would be an absolute honor."
Aurelio wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:08 pm "You know my name, what's yours, friend?"[/b]
"Theodatus Aristotle Darrow, but you can call me Theo."
Claudia wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:31 am “You dreamt of the captain,” Claudia says, her eyes on her plate still. “But don’t worry, we broke the bottle.”
He looks at Claudia curiously.
She seems to believe that she is providing comfort. She doesn’t make eye contact. She doesn’t engage directly. She speaks to the world in hopes I hear, so she doesn’t have to address me directly. She reminds me of Smitty. He shut down after the war. He never made eye contact. If she wasn’t so young I would think she was shell shocked the same way he was.

“Ms. Claudia, I sincerely believe you are trying to provide me comfort by telling me not to worry, and I am very appreciative of that effort. But it raises more questions. Who is this captain, what is this bottle, and why would ‘I’ dream about him? “
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [11] = 11 (21%)
JIC 1D100 1d100: [70] = 70
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [10] = 10
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Theo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:13 pm “Ms. Claudia, I sincerely believe you are trying to provide me comfort by telling me not to worry, and I am very appreciative of that effort. But it raises more questions. Who is this captain, what is this bottle, and why would ‘I’ dream about him? “
The bottle appears be some kind of occul- a curio, commonly associated with witches,” Zachary replies as he corrects his near slip-up. Close call. Wouldn’t be a good look to be carelessly spouting something that would make us look like we’ve lost our minds.A young woman who assisted us earlier knew a bit more about these things, but she left town not too long ago. Captain Whitlach was in posession of this bottle, but he had a fatal encounter with some hounds. Zachary’s hand goes to his chest at the memory of the beast that injured him back at the house.

Now as for that third question…” Zachary pauses to take a sip and his gaze turns to Carl. “… We never really heard the reason why we of all people were having these dreams. The captain couldn’t have known us before we showed up, yet for some reason each of us seem to had this weird dream that brought us here. Got any ideas Carl?” The detective was about to press on with an inquiry to Carl’s own specific dream, but stopped himself before the words left his mouth. Better not jump to conclusions, Zachary thinks to himself, shooting first and thinking later is for ghosts, not people.
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Theo »

Zachary Splindt wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:04 pm
The bottle appears be some kind of occul- a curio, commonly associated with witches,” Zachary replies as he corrects his near slip-up. Close call. Wouldn’t be a good look to be carelessly spouting something that would make us look like we’ve lost our minds.A young woman who assisted us earlier knew a bit more about these things, but she left town not too long ago. Captain Whitlach was in posession of this bottle, but he had a fatal encounter with some hounds. Zachary’s hand goes to his chest at the memory of the beast that injured him back at the house.
He just put his hand to his chest and winced. That is a tell. Whatever the event was he is relating involved an injury to his chest. It is one of the ways we can tell someone actually experienced a traumatic event when relating it in an interrogation. They will relive the sensations of the trauma. In a serious tone Theo starts processing the information. “So the bottle that Ms. Claudia mentioned is a curio belonging to this Captain Whitlach. Something happened to him that you believe was related to this curio, therefore you made the decision to destroy it to make whatever forces lead to his death inert? And your investigation led you to the conclusion that the bottle was potentially a creation of witches?” He isn’t phased by the info he just summarized, it is obvious he is just attempting to summarize the facts you have given and making deductions based on those facts. “So I am to assume that if you are to continue on the path of your current investigation, you have come to the conclusion that whatever happened to the good Captain involved the intervention and nefarious intent of a third party, and the next step is to locate that 3rd party? Seems like a reasonable next step.”
Zachary Splindt wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:04 pm Now as for that third question…” Zachary pauses to take a sip and his gaze turns to Carl. “… We never really heard the reason why we of all people were having these dreams. The captain couldn’t have known us before we showed up, yet for some reason each of us seem to had this weird dream that brought us here. Got any ideas Carl?” The detective was about to press on with an inquiry to Carl’s own specific dream, but stopped himself before the words left his mouth. Better not jump to conclusions, Zachary thinks to himself, shooting first and thinking later is for ghosts, not people.
Theo looks at Carl in anticipation for an answer.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Carl's Diner; Prosperity, WV

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Theo wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:38 am “So the bottle that Ms. Claudia mentioned is a curio belonging to this Captain Whitlach. Something happened to him that you believe was related to this curio, therefore you made the decision to destroy it to make whatever forces lead to his death inert? And your investigation led you to the conclusion that the bottle was potentially a creation of witches?”
Zachary is a bit surprised at Theo’s response, expecting more doubt than consideration at the connection between the bottle and the forces that lead to the captain’s demise. While past encounters at the Pinkerton agency would have normally lead the detective to withhold any mention of the supernatural, this response was somewhat reassuring. Opting to open up a bit more, Zachary replies. “That’s what we’ve heard anyway. We have also heard that there are- allegedly are some witches who have made this place their home. If there are any here, we sure haven’t seen any yet.” Zachary recalls his earlier stroll around town. “I actually tried to find out a bit more about the town history, and maybe get a feel for the place. Sadly though, it looks like this place doesn’t have much in the way of a library or somesuch that might have the records we’re looking for.
Theo wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:38 am “So I am to assume that if you are to continue on the path of your current investigation, you have come to the conclusion that whatever happened to the good Captain involved the intervention and nefarious intent of a third party, and the next step is to locate that 3rd party? Seems like a reasonable next step.”
Not sure about everyone else, but I’d sure like to find that third party,” the detective replies. “As far as we know, that bottle came from an estate sale and the captain wasn’t even aware that it was dangerous. Who knows? Some schmuck on the railway might find something similar and get mauled by bears. Only thing is, witches are the only leads that come to mind.” Zachary pauses. “Witches… and the dreams.
Post Reply

Return to “Boxed Nightmares”