Of all things Strange and Wild

BTS2 Adventure Forum

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Post Reply
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: March 18th, 1925. 9:00 AM
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1- Under the Microscope (Claudia is at x1)
The past few weeks have been a bustle. Carl had sent over a handyman to fix the busted window and door on the second floor a day or two after the incident. With that fixed the Whitlach House became much more livable. All who have been residing under its roof occasionally get feelings of oddness or spookiness, but nothing ever seems to manifest.

The last few weeks have been filled with activities, with most of the folk finding work in some manner or another, but all of it is short lived temporary work that leaves the group with some more pocket money, but no real prospects. Carl has been friendly enough, but he’s also been busy with other things as of late that he refuses to comment on.

Aurelio and Theo are able to find employment at the Engine house, considering neither of them have any skills with steam engines, they are mostly relegated to playing gopher. Carrying parts and whatnot too and fro. Aurelio tries to find regular games of cards, but doesn’t seem to find any readily available, at least not at the Lafayette, they seem to frown on such things in general. When time and energy permitted Theo and Aurelio would spar, but considering the twelve plus hour days, it didn’t happen daily.

Zachary was able to find work at the Lafayette, mostly doing busy work as they wanted more of a commitment from employees to do any of the respectable jobs. The work was rather repetitive and generally uninteresting, but it did afford him ample opportunities to people watch, but the hotel generally catered to folk moving from one city to another via the rail lines.

Claudia found some work at Carl’s, no one seemed to complain that she was ever there, nor did she go without ample treats for her efforts. At the end of each week Carl would hand her an envelope with money in it, telling her good job, usually followed by having Janice drive her back home.

On the particular morning, we find the folk residing in the Whitlach house preparing for another day. This is interrupted by the sounds of a vehicle approaching and pulling into the dirt and stone drive. Anyone who looks outside can see an early model Ford truck with a mildly overweight middle to old aged man in the driver’s seat. Once the truck has come to a stop and has been shut off, he exits the vehicle with an obvious grunt of age. He is wearing a light brown two piece suit without a tie, the collar of his light blue shirt unbuttoned a bit, he has an appropriately colored hat on his head as well. He reaches in the back of the truck and retrieves a leather satchel, holding it by its handle. The man approaches the house and once on the porch knocks.

When someone answers, the man looks confused. ”Is Whitlach around..?” He asks in a puzzled tone.

What Are Your Intentions?

Butcher’s Bill
Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 17/17
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 22/22.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 7/7
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception: d100<25: [83] = 0
JIC: d100: [2] = 2 , d20: [7] = 7
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Every morning since he joined the Army, Theo would run one hour before starting his day. This was always followed by a second hour of running at the end of the day. Since coming to prosperity this ritual occurred running to work every morning and home every evening.

Theo dressed in his shorts and tank top and his his Keds Champions, packed his Haversack with his work clothes and boots, strapped it over his shoulders and he exited the front door at 7 am.

Every morning he looked at the landscape and thought, This place is so amazing, and the green of spring is breathtaking. He went his normal route down to Prosperity running through the streets in such a manner with such timing that he would arrive at the Engine House to at 7:50 am, giving him time to change clothes and see if he could get a shift that day. When he speaks to the Foreman he is told he won’t be needed. He changes back in his running clothes the retraces his steps back to the house.

Although he isn’t making money today he is going to knock out both hours of running back to back and if Aurelio is also called off he may get some quality sparring time and a peaceful day of relaxation afterwards. As was his routine on days he wasn’t needed he reached the driveway at 9 am sharp. To his surprise he noticed an unknown truck and a heavy set man knocking on the door. As he draws closer her says “Good Morning, sir. How can I help you.” The man responds.
Consumer wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:46 pm When someone answers, the man looks confused. ”Is Whitlach around..?” He asks in a puzzled tone.
Theo, replies, “Sir, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Captain Whitlach, died a little over a month ago. Maybe I could be of assistance, I am friends with the new landlord who was left this house by the Captain. . . How rude of me, I am Theo Darrow. I didn’t catch you name.” He extends a hand for shaking.
Last edited by Theo on Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [77] = 77 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 / 1d100: [82] = 82
Current I.S.P.: 17/17
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Skills:

Whitloch Manor

Claudia pulls on the front door, opening it only a couple of inches. She peers at their visitor with wide, brown eyes. A stranger, she thinks, not recalling seeing his face around Prosperity. You don’t look like a sailor. Claudia turns her head to look over her shoulder and calls out for her uncle. “Uncle Ari!” She doesn’t allow the stranger into the house, even after Theo greets him on the porch.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 46% / 1d100: [91] = 91
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 1d100: [86] = 86
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [46] = 46
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [33] = 33
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.

"Ai! Teste de catzo!"† Ari arrives followed by the unpleasant scent of something which has burned. He looks down at Claudia. "I burned the eggs. I am not Carl's cook at the diner. I think I would ruin boiling water. I will take you in to the diner if no one else wants to cook." He finally looks up to see the paunchy older man. "Excuse my manners & appearance. You've caught me ruining breakfast." Now then, who are you and what trouble do you bring? He extends his hand, "Name's Aurelio, and this used to be Whitloch Manor, but now our friend Carl owns it. Something of a boarding house now. How can we help you?"


Italian-Engligh Translation: This would be very vulgar to translate; it's Italian profanity.
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [50] = 50 (21%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [83] = 83
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [14] = 14
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

The last night's patrol had gone longer than expected, as Zachary had mistaken a raccoon for a phantom hiding in the ground under the darkness of the trees and brush. The frantic and lengthy chase went far into the night, and it was only after the detective finally caught the small mammal that he realized his error. By that point, it was quite some time past midnight.

As a result of his misadventure, the detective was still sleeping as the stranger knocked on the door. Groggy from a lack of sleep yet awakened by the noise, Zachary slowly arose and joined the others at the front door to meet the newcomer. Tact slightly impaired by the lack of rest and somewhat distracted by the presence of a large motorized and (in his own mind) dangerous vehicle not far from the house, Zachary skipped over the introductions. "Delivery?" the detective inquired.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: March 18th, 1925. 9:05 AM
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1- Under the Microscope (Claudia is at x1)
Theo wrote: “Sir, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Captain Whitlach, died a little over a month ago. Maybe I could be of assistance, I am friends with the new landlord who was left this house by the Captain. . . How rude of me, I am Theo Darrow. I didn’t catch you name.” He extends a hand for shaking.
The man almost looks startled by Theo. And when he bluntly breaks the news of Captain Whitlach’s death he looks a bit sullen.
Claudia wrote:“Uncle Ari!”
Claudia’s arrival makes the man jump a little, as he wasn’t actively paying attention to the door.
Aurelio wrote:"I burned the eggs. I am not Carl's cook at the diner. I think I would ruin boiling water. I will take you in to the diner if no one else wants to cook." He finally looks up to see the paunchy older man. "Excuse my manners & appearance. You've caught me ruining breakfast." Now then, who are you and what trouble do you bring? He extends his hand, "Name's Aurelio, and this used to be Whitloch Manor, but now our friend Carl owns it. Something of a boarding house now. How can we help you?"
Aurelio’s arrival seems to calm the man down as he now seems to be registering what he’s just been told.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Delivery?"
This comment gets a crooked glance of almost amusement from the man, who hasn’t really had a chance to speak. ”Well hell… Oh shoot my apologies, didn’t mean to curse in front of the child. My name is Marcus Blanche, I was a… I guess a friend of Captain Whitlach, if anyone could really call the old curmudgeon a friend. Carl owns the house now you say… That was gonna be my next stop.” Mr. Balanche says.

”Well shoot, I was gonna hand some leads over to him for his perusal, but given he’s deceased now. That puts a right crimp in things. By the way, how did the old man pass?” Mr. Blanche asks.

What Are Your Intentions?

Butcher’s Bill
Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 17/17
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 22/22.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 7/7
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception: d100<25: [99] = 0
JIC: d100: [46] = 46 , d20: [2] = 2
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Theo listens to the gentleman’s question. This man is a aware of something about the Captain. Most people would assume that a man of the Captain’s age died of a natural cause. But he specifically asked “How did the old man pass?” It may indicate this man knows that the Captain was involved in things that had a high probability of causing an unnatural demise or at least enough probability to question the cause. We need to get him to Carl. There we can listen and ask questions.
Last edited by Theo on Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [21] = 21 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 / 1d100: [38] = 38
Current I.S.P.: 17/17
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Skills:

Whitloch Manor

You know Carl…? Claudia decides that their visitor seems like a friend. “Bad dogs,” Claudia tells Mr. Blanche plainly. She shakes her head slightly as if she’s trying to shake the image of the rotting hounds from her mind’s eye. She then looks to her uncle and asks, “What are leads?”
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 46% / 1d100: [39] = 39
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 1d100: [26] = 26
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [61] = 61
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [13] = 13
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location: Whitloch Manor
GM wrote:”Well shoot, I was gonna hand some leads over to him for his perusal, but given he’s deceased now. That puts a right crimp in things. By the way, how did the old man pass?” Mr. Blanche asks.
Claudia wrote:“Bad dogs,” Claudia tells Mr. Blanche plainly.
Aurelio grunts in acknowledgment. "My niece is always short on words, but she's largely correct. He met a bad end from some...wolves of a sort."
Claudia wrote: She then looks to her uncle and asks, “What are leads?”
Aurelio scratches his chin, then answers Claudia in front of the stranger. Hopefully, this will do some more subtle informing of our relationship. This fellow seems to be after something, but is hesitant to come right out and say it. "It's hard to describe, but a lead is a kind of information that could help resolve a problem. Like when we figured out that a witch's bottle was associated with our problem, Claudia. It didn't solve the problem for us, but it led us in the right direction."
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [22] = 22 (21%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [74] = 74
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [3] = 3
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Consumer wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:16 pm ”Well shoot, I was gonna hand some leads over to him for his perusal, but given he’s deceased now. That puts a right crimp in things. By the way, how did the old man pass?” Mr. Blanche asks.
Leads? Zachary perks up somewhat at the mention. His gaze turns to the satchel in Marcus' hand. It's not every day a bunch of new leads just land on your doorstep, but...

Thoughts interrupted by a yawn, the detective blinks a few times. "Leads? Anything in particular?" Zachary pauses for a moment before realizing just how strange that sounded and continues. "We heard that the captain was quite the collector. Would these leads be referring to more curios of interest?"
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: March 18th, 1925. 9:15 AM
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1- Under the Microscope (Claudia is at x1)
Theo quietly contemplates the conversion, while Claudia is the first to speak up.
Claudia wrote:“Bad dogs,.. What are leads?”
Mr. Blanche looks to Claudia and nods in solemn way, before Aurelio clarifies.
Aurelio wrote:"My niece is always short on words, but she's largely correct. He met a bad end from some...wolves of a sort."
Again Mr. Blanche nods.
Aurelio wrote:"It's hard to describe, but a lead is a kind of information that could help resolve a problem. Like when we figured out that a witch's bottle was associated with our problem, Claudia. It didn't solve the problem for us, but it led us in the right direction."
”Good description as any, though in Captain Whitlach’s case it was more like puzzles I brought to him versus possible answers.” Mr Blanche say with a smile.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Leads? Anything in particular?...We heard that the captain was quite the collector. Would these leads be referring to more curios of interest?"
Mr Blanche looks at Zachary quizzically. ”Oh my apologies, I didn’t realize you were also in this… business… hobby… ah hell, it’s all confusing.” The man says, throwing his hands up in frustration.

”Just some articles and notes I collected. I suppose if you’re interested I can tell you what I have and you can do as you will. As for curios… that seemed to be a side effect of Thurman’s proclivities.” Mr Blanche says before sitting on the front stair. He opens his satchel and pulls a folded newspaper out.

"So I saw this in the newspaper a few days ago, and thought he would have been interested." Mr. Blanche says, using a bandana to wipe his brow as he opens the page he has folded up. "Says here that Michael Gipsum was found dead. Apparently he had drowned in a lake, which I'll be honest isn't the most peculiar thing, but what I did find peculiar was the fact that he was the seventh person to die in that lake in the past ten months. One or two I would toss up as unfortunate, but seven... No sir... and ma'am, I think there is something strange going on there." Mr Blanche finishes, before folding the paper up and setting it aside.

Mr. Blance pulls a manila folder out of his bag and opens it up. "This one seems a bit old hat, but whatever it is seems to be ramping up in frequency. On a stretch of route 20 there seems to be a string of missing persons and vehicles, as far as my research can tell, it goes back a long while... like eighteen forties or so. It was usually a person here or there, maybe a missing wagon, and now cars. But in the past five months three more folk have gone missing. Closest town to near there is Bellwood. I figured that would have been a good spot for the old Captain to start looking." Mr. Blanche says, before closing the folder and setting it aside.

Mr. Blanche pulls a crumpled note from his pocket. "This was the reason I actually made my trip here. Old Captain was fond of monster sightings. Apparently they closed down the number eight mine south of here. I overheard some of the miners talking in a bar, and the fella talking not only sounded scared, he kept mentioning that there was something down in the mine. All I really know is that the mine is owned by Barrow Mining, and isn't the kind of place where information like that comes up." Mr. Blanche says, setting the note on top of the folder.

Mr Blanche looks up from his spot. ”So that’s what I got, I can just leave them with you if you’d like. They don’t really do me any good. Not much for what the Captain called field work.” Mr Blanche says.

What Are Your Intentions?

Butcher’s Bill
Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 17/17
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 22/22.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 7/7
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 46% / 1d100: [2] = 2 CRIT!
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 1d100: [11] = 11
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [50] = 50
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [65] = 65 Fail
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location: Whitloch Manor

Aurelio will graciously accept first the newspaper, then the folder, etc, and peruse each for interesting details not conveyed verbally by Mr. Blanche. after inspecting each he will hand each to Claudia or another of his...Friends? Are these people my friends now? Housemates, certainly. After passing back the last article, Aurelio will rest back on his heels & lean against the house for a moment. He pulls out a cigarette from his pack of Lucky Strikes, lights it, takes a long, slow drag, and considers the various problems at hand. He Looks to Mr. Blanche, "The police actively involved in any of these? I don't mind taking a punch, but I'd rather not have to lay out a cop if I don't have to, and they tend to get unpleasant when outsiders start stepping on their toes."
Combat Stuff
Contingency: If the group is attacked by anything, Aurelio will push himself into harm's way to protect the others. His protective priority will always be to protect Claudia, then Virginia, then the other guys.

Initiative (+1 included): 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4
Action 1:
Action 2:
Action 3:
Action 4:
Action 5:

Parries: 1d20+6: [5]+6 = 11 , 1d20+6: [18]+6 = 24 , 1d20+6: [6]+6 = 12 , 1d20+6: [9]+6 = 15 , 1d20+6: [17]+6 = 23
Auto-Dodge: 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8
Italian-Engligh Translation: xxxx
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception: 25% / d100: [35] = 35
JIC: d100: [45] = 45 , d20: [4] = 4
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural.+ 1v Magic/Horror Factor, +3 Psionics.
Consumer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:35 pm A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: March 18th, 1925. 9:15 AM
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1- Under the Microscope (Claudia is at x1)
"So I saw this in the newspaper a few days ago, and thought he would have been interested." Mr. Blanche says, using a bandana to wipe his brow as he opens the page he has folded up. "Says here that Michael Gipsum was found dead. Apparently he had drowned in a lake, which I'll be honest isn't the most peculiar thing, but what I did find peculiar was the fact that he was the seventh person to die in that lake in the past ten months. One or two I would toss up as unfortunate, but seven... No sir... and ma'am, I think there is something strange going on there." Mr Blanche finishes, before folding the paper up and setting it aside.
Theo contemplates each piece of information. Seven People in 10 months. That is a pretty rapid rate of drownings. Seems immediate intervention is needed.
Consumer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:35 pm Mr. Blance pulls a manila folder out of his bag and opens it up. "This one seems a bit old hat, but whatever it is seems to be ramping up in frequency. On a stretch of route 20 there seems to be a string of missing persons and vehicles, as far as my research can tell, it goes back a long while... like eighteen forties or so. It was usually a person here or there, maybe a missing wagon, and now cars. But in the past five months three more folk have gone missing. Closest town to near there is Bellwood. I figured that would have been a good spot for the old Captain to start looking." Mr. Blanche says, before closing the folder and setting it aside.
Much more sporadic, but it does need to be looked into. But between the two the lake is more urgent.
Consumer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:35 pm Mr. Blanche pulls a crumpled note from his pocket. "This was the reason I actually made my trip here. Old Captain was fond of monster sightings. Apparently they closed down the number eight mine south of here. I overheard some of the miners talking in a bar, and the fella talking not only sounded scared, he kept mentioning that there was something down in the mine. All I really know is that the mine is owned by Barrow Mining, and isn't the kind of place where information like that comes up." Mr. Blanche says, setting the note on top of the folder.
Another intriguing case but no immediate indication of danger. Of the three scenarios, it would be thew last one we need to investigate.

As. Mr. Blanche takes his leave Theo looks at the group and says, "Of the three scenarios, the first seems most urgent. It has definitive missing people who have disappeared rather rapidly. We need to stop the cause in order to prevent others from falling prey to whatever machinations are afoot."
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [100] = 100 (21%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [36] = 36
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [12] = 12
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary squints at the newspaper clipping, slightly perturbed by the numbers. "We've had these kinds of cases before." Zachary explains as his eyes peruse the words, "Seven out of ten is no coincidence. Heck, five out of ten would already be a stretch. Someone or some-thing ought to be behind it."

The detective then glanced at the crumpled note. Can't discount something in a mine. Lots of hauntings happen in abandoned buildings. Still, the thought of a ghost leaving the mine and terrorizing the town isn't exactly notion. Maybe I'll keep this place in mind during my nightly patrols.

Finally, Zachary has a look at the happenings on route 20. Zachary is somewhat puzzled by the intention of this news as a lead. Could be explained by a poor road. There were lots of them back home that were full of potholes. At any rate, doesn't seem to be related to a madman or a haunting unlike the other two.
Consumer wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:35 pm Mr Blanche looks up from his spot. ”So that’s what I got, I can just leave them with you if you’d like. They don’t really do me any good. Not much for what the Captain called field work.” Mr Blanche says.
"We'll take you up on that offer," replied Zachary with a smile, "been looking for leads like these for a long time." Passing along the three leads, Zachary recalls some of the details mentioned in the newspaper clipping. "You mentioned the victim was a man named Michael Gipsum? Don't suppose you knew the guy yourself? What's more, don't suppose you would know much about the lake itself do you?"
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [39] = 39 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 / 1d100: [55] = 55
Current I.S.P.: 17/17
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Skills:

Whitloch Manor

Claudia observes Mr. Blanche’s solemn nod as he receives the news regarding Captain Whitloch. Rather than look over the papers he presents, Claudia focuses her attention on their guest. She tilts her head with curiosity and sympathy. You’re like me, she guesses, thinking he has seen something he cannot explain. And when Mr. Blanche says that fieldwork is not for him, Claudia replies softly, “Don’t be afraid.”
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: March 18th, 1925. 9:20 AM
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1- Under the Microscope (Claudia is at x1)
Aurelio contemplates the concept of the folk he’s spent the last month with as friends, while trying to make heads or tails of the newspaper clippings, but other than the brief rundown that Mr. Blanche gave, he isn’t picking up on any subtle clues or additional information.
Aurelio wrote:"The police actively involved in any of these? I don't mind taking a punch, but I'd rather not have to lay out a cop if I don't have to, and they tend to get unpleasant when outsiders start stepping on their toes."
Mr. Blanche shrugs. ”Involved, involved… unlikely, A cursory search or investigation and they’re off to deal with other solvable crimes. While I know the lake and route twenty are semi-public, the mine is owned by Barrow, and I would only guess they don’t want outsiders snooping in their business.” Mr Blanche says.

Theo considers the three leads and makes personal opinions about them.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"We've had these kinds of cases before... Seven out of ten is no coincidence. Heck, five out of ten would already be a stretch. Someone or some-thing ought to be behind it."
Mr. Blanche just nods in agreement. ”Yep, that’s why I brought it.” Mr. Blanche finally says.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"We'll take you up on that offer, been looking for leads like these for a long time."
Mr. Blanche makes a gesture of releasing them to the group, as if washing his hands of them.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"You mentioned the victim was a man named Michael Gipsum? Don't suppose you knew the guy yourself? What's more, don't suppose you would know much about the lake itself do you?"
Mr. Blanche shakes his head. ”Nope, don’t know the fella, His name is in the top article. As for the lake, I also don’t know much, save it’s not a very big lake. I’m not even sure it has a name to be honest.” Mr. Blanche says.

Claudia watches Mr. Blanche seemingly finding a kindred spirit.
Claudia wrote:“Don’t be afraid.”
Mr. Blanche softly chuckles. ”Oh no miss Claudia, I’m not afraid per say, just respectfully cautious of things.” Mr. Blanche says softly.

With all the questions seemingly answered, Mr. Blanche gets up from where he’s sitting on the porch. ”Well it was mighty nice meeting you all. Maybe if I find something else, I’ll run it this way, but for now I’m gonna go visit Carl and see how he’s doing before making my way back home. Hope you all stay safe.” Mr. Blanche says as he gets back in his old truck and starts it up. A minute or so later he’s gone, no longer visible from the front of the house.
Theo wrote: "Of the three scenarios, the first seems most urgent. It has definitive missing people who have disappeared rather rapidly. We need to stop the cause in order to prevent others from falling prey to whatever machinations are afoot."
What Are Your Intentions?

Butcher’s Bill
Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 17/17
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 22/22.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 7/7
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 46% / 1d100: [55] = 55
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 1d100: [53] = 53
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [23] = 23
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [2] = 2
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location: Whitloch Manor
Theo wrote:"Of the three scenarios, the first seems most urgent. It has definitive missing people who have disappeared rather rapidly. We need to stop the cause in order to prevent others from falling prey to whatever machinations are afoot."
Aurelio nods. Sound reasoning. What's the term for that? Triage? Or is that where they cut off blood flow to a limb? Aurelio clears the cobwebs and odd thoughts from his head and looks to Claudia. "You have any intuition about these things?"

He looks back to Theo, "I think you're right, and your thinking right, the priority seems clear." He looks around at the others, "What do you think?"
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [30] = 30 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [99] = 99
Current I.S.P.: 17/17
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Skills:

Whitloch Manor
Aurelio wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:01 pm "You have any intuition about these things?"
For a few seconds, Claudia allows herself to be swept up in a memory. She was young when her family left Italy and crossed the Atlantic. She recalls standing at the ship’s railing, looking down at the violent and dark waves below. The water whispered to me. I wanted a closer look. The spell was broken when her mother pulled her back from the railing before Claudia could lean so far as to fall overboard.

Claudia blinks a few times, letting the memory slip from her mind. She looks up at her uncle and says, “Water hides secrets.”
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception: 25% / 1d100: [72] = 72
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 1d100: [69] = 69

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural.+ 1v Magic/Horror Factor, +3 Psionics.
Aurelio wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:01 pm [/i] Aurelio clears the cobwebs and odd thoughts from his head and looks to Claudia. "You have any intuition about these things?"

He looks back to Theo, "I think you're right, and your thinking right, the priority seems clear."
Theo nods his head. I am glad Aurelio agrees with me.
Aurelio wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:01 pmHe looks around at the others, "What do you think?"
Theo knowing Claudia is primed to answer her uncle, looks at her for her thoughts.
Claudia wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:26 am Claudia blinks a few times, letting the memory slip from her mind. She looks up at her uncle and says, “Water hides secrets.”
“Water hides secrets.” My years on the force have taught me just that Claudia.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [50] = 50 (21%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [74] = 74
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [17] = 17
Aurelio wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:01 pm He looks back to Theo, "I think you're right, and your thinking right, the priority seems clear." He looks around at the others, "What do you think?"
"I agree with looking into this situation at the lake," replies Zachary with a quick nod. "Reckon it wouldn't have much info if the townsfolk never bothered to give it a name. Should we bring this up with Carl? We could also just head over to the lake and have a look for ourselves."
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Once everyone has stated their inclinations, Theo pipes up. “It looks like it is unanimous. We investigate the drownings. Normally I would suggest that we investigate the location then locate witnesses and speak to people that knew Mr. Gipsom. However seeing that the scene of the death has been in no way controlled and Mr. Blanche seems to believe there is something malevolent involved, I believe it best to reverse the normal course. We find out if Mr. Gipsom had a widow or a close family member that noticed anything strange or recent changes that may point us in a direction. But I am new to this so please if I am stepping out of bounds or speaking out of turn, I will defer to the three of you.”. he looks to all three of his new friends. I hope I didn’t overstep.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

((Rolls held over))
Theo wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:23 pm“Normally I would suggest that we investigate the location then locate witnesses and speak to people that knew Mr. Gipsom.”
"Maybe Mr. Gipsom is still there," Claudia suggests after a moment. She looks up at her uncle with a hopeful expression. "Ms. Virginia could talk to him."
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Claudia wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:39 am "Maybe Mr. Gipsom is still there," Claudia suggests after a moment. She looks up at her uncle with a hopeful expression. "Ms. Virginia could talk to him."
"I'm afraid Ms. Virginia won't be with us on this case," replies Zachary with a sad smile, "she left on a trip some time ago."

Zachary thinks on who might have known this Mr. Gipsom in the past. "Don't reckon there are many locals here, but we know there is a diner, a hotel, and the folks who work the steam engine." Zachary frowns at the mention of the last one. "I'm not stepping foot in there," Zachary notes, "The steam engine I mean. I can check out the others though."
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Callum »

Precp 43%: 1d100: [52] = 52
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 1d100: [65] = 65

Conditions:
ISP: 22/22

Callum had been over in the garage, fiddling with the car, when he heard the vehicle pull up to the house. Once he had cleaned up a bit, he made his way over to the house but by that time the other four were already in talks with him. So Callum decided to linger at the corner and not show himself to the visitor. This could just have been a since of caution as they were now calling this very odd place home. Regardless, once the visitor drives off, Callum steps out from around the corner and nods to everyone.

The fight with the hound of rot and decay had taken a lot out of Callum. He had not been injured but something deep inside him had been used up and it had taken a little while for him to get back to his usual self. He had remained quiet throughout there meeting with Carl and it wasn't until they were all looking for work that he had introduced himself to Theo.

Walking up the porch to the others, Callum says, "Aye, seems like the drownings are the most pressing matter, all happenin' within the last 10 months. Whereas the cursed road has been at it foul endeavor for near a hundred years. As far as the mine, well claims of monsters in the dark could be anything and I don't really want to be shot for trespass until we have heard more about that lead." His Irish lilt obvious.

Callum gives everyone a wide grin, "I hope everyone knows how to swim, though its still a might cold for it if you ask me." He quirks an eyebrow and continues, "There's another oddity for that, means the drownin's continued straight through the winter."
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate; Just outside Prosperity West Virginia
Date: March 18th, 1925. 9:25 AM
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1 Under the Microscope (Claudia is at x1)
The group continues to discuss things, for several minutes after Mr. Blanche has left, the general consensus is that the group will look into the oddity around the drowning death of one Mr. Gipsum late of Glen Jean West Virginia which is found after a third brief look at the newspaper article. The conversation turns to some of the ways to find details, and the group seems keen on looking for the widow of Mr. Gipsum, who one might guess lives in that nearby town.

Zachary makes mention that the group could ask around Prosperity, but the chances of these townsfolk being tuned into the comings and goings of another town, are not high. Though the group also considers speaking with Carl, who does seem to have more than a little local knowledge. So with a rough plan hatched the group makes ready to leave, mostly Zachary putting on some proper attire that isn’t his pajamas and a robe.

What Are Your Intentions?

Butcher’s Bill
Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 17/17
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 22/22.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 7/7
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and Likely Future DM of BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [74] = 74 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 / 1d100: [85] = 85
Current I.S.P.: 17/17
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Skills:

Whitloch Manor

A little later, dressed in her wool coat and a pair of goggles, Claudia says goodbye to the two suits of armor in the main hall. “Be good, Sir Knight. Look after the captain’s house,” she instructs one. “Protect him,” she whispers to the other. She gives each a gentle pat on the arm and waits for the others to join her.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
Post Reply

Return to “Boxed Nightmares”