Of all things Strange and Wild

BTS2 Adventure Forum

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception: 25% / 1d100: [2] = 2
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 1d100: [44] = 44

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural.+ 1v Magic/Horror Factor, +3 Psionics.
Zachary Splindt wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:29 pm Zachary overhears the conversation as he walks up to the counter. "Seems like he was quite the family man. Don't suppose you've seen his wife out and about lately? A tragedy like that seems like the kind of thing that would make a person want to shut themselves off from the world for a while." Zachary's concern is genuine, but his attention is somewhat distracted at the possibility of a new lead to follow.
Theo satiating the beast in his belly with the GooGoo Cluster, is now able to focus on the task at hand. He hears Zachary’s question and thinks, now is the time to see how they react to the supernatural angle.. “Zachary, what if it was the ghost the old man told us about that is causing the drownings? Wooooooo” Theo says as he makes a ghost noise in Zachary’s ear as he waves his fingers with a spooky ghost motion then transitions to a laugh. He subtly looks at the clerk to gauge his reaction to see how he reacts to the notion.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Theo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:36 pm He hears Zachary’s question and thinks, now is the time to see how they react to the supernatural angle.. “Zachary, what if it was the ghost the old man told us about that is causing the drownings? Wooooooo” Theo says as he makes a ghost noise in Zachary’s ear as he waves his fingers with a spooky ghost motion then transitions to a laugh. He subtly looks at the clerk to gauge his reaction to see how he reacts to the notion.
Caught off-guard, Zachary’s eyes widen and his posture stiffens, as his vision darts around the store. The detective is about to reach into his coat pocket, when he stops himself suddenly and realizes there are no ghosts in the store.

Keeping mind to back a few feet away from anything resembling machinery, Zachary ponders how to reply. Needs to be genuine, but not enough to arouse suspicion. Just say what you would say at the agency.You got me,” replies Zachary with a slightly nervous chuckle, “It’s funny though, I’ve read my fair share of ghost stories that took place in large lakes. Can’t say I’d be keen on that kind of fate.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1660
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: March 18th, 1925. 10:55 AM (10 minutes has passed since last post)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1 Under the Microscope (Claudia is at x1)
Glen Jean
Zachary, Theo, Callum

Callum pays for his purchases, and receives the respective change. Once outside, Callum takes a look up and down the street, finding the town not very busy at the moment. But given this is a mining town, most of the men are likely still in the mines, doing their day's work. The town looks like it caters to people better than Prosperity does, having places to deal with the entertainment of folk. Though due to the prohibition, not a single bar can be found. Though Callum is sure that there is likely a speakeasy somewhere around town.

Inside the Company Store still, Zachary and Theo continue chatting with the clerk.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Seems like he was quite the family man. Don't suppose you've seen his wife out and about lately? A tragedy like that seems like the kind of thing that would make a person want to shut themselves off from the world for a while."
The clerk shakes his head. ”No sir, I wouldn’t have the foggiest on whether he was a family man. Didn’t know him very well, if at all. I’ve seen her about, shopping for necessities and what not, but couldn’r rightly say if she’s become a shut in.” The Clerk says.
Theo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:36 pm“Zachary, what if it was the ghost the old man told us about that is causing the drownings? Wooooooo”
The clerk shrugs at the comment, but doesn’t say anything as it wasn’t directed at him.
Zachary Splindt wrote:You got me,” replies Zachary with a slightly nervous chuckle, “It’s funny though, I’ve read my fair share of ghost stories that took place in large lakes. Can’t say I’d be keen on that kind of fate.
The Clerk looks past the duo as another customer approaches the counter.

The Lake
Aurellio and Claudia

Aurellio and Claudia stand near the lake, a short distance from the only dock. Claudia points to an older man on the dock as states ”Him.” While in her head there is much more to say, her voice won’t allow her to articulate more than that. Aurellio is rather used to, and sometimes frustrated by this, questions what his niece means. Her response about shadows following the man, seems to be enough to convince the boxer to investigate. So the two walk up to the dock, and Aurellio waves and asks if the gentleman are catching anything. One of the younger men nods. ”Couple of panfish. Old timer there has caught the only bass.” The young man says with a bit of sass. The old man chuckles. ”All about the bait. Are you two looking to do some fishing?” He asks politely.

Claudia for her part looks out into the lake, the dark foreboding patch seems to call to her, like a siren. Claudia can feel an aura of discomfort near it, but she can’t make out any more details here than she did before. It seems the waters hide their secrets. As for the shadow following the old man, it seems humanoid in shap, and very thin, like a burned out match given the form of a man. It doesn’t seem to pay Claudia any mind looking at it.

What Are Your Intentions?

Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 17/17
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 22/22.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 7/7
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 49% / 1d100: [24] = 24
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 1d100: [88] = 88
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [43] = 43
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [97] = 97
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location: The Lake
Current Investigation: The drowning death of Mr. Gipsum, late of Glen Jean, West Virginia.

(For skills he's grasping to find meaning or correlations between what he sees, what he read from the clippings, and his discussions.)
Streetwise: Weird 55% / 1d100: [47] = 47
Lore: Religion 60% / 1d100: [33] = 33
Consumer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:54 amOne of the younger men nods. ”Couple of panfish. Old timer there has caught the only bass.” The young man says with a bit of sass. The old man chuckles. ”All about the bait. Are you two looking to do some fishing?” He asks politely.
Aurelio shoves one hand out to greet any of the men willing to shake it. "Maybe. Name's Ari. This here's my niece, Claudia. I'm in training, and fish is good food to build muscle, but we're kind of lean on funds, you know? My father used to take me & my brother fishing. Might be the right time to start up again. Gotta get new tackle if so. What kind of bait works well on this lake? My father always swore by bits of spoiled fish or offal. My niece isn't a strong swimmer, and we heard of some deaths lately. Are there safer and less safe spots to fish from? Anything to be careful of?" These locals have to know something more than the paper. Aurelio takes a long drag on his Lucky Strike without using his hands; he keeps one free to shake hands, and the other to deliver a man to his maker should the need arise.
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [13] = 13 / 30%
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [20] = 20
Current I.S.P.: 17/17
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Skills:

The Lake, near Glen Jean

While her uncle chats with the fishermen, Claudia reaches out with one hand to poke the stick-like shadow that is present. What are you? Why are you following him?

Assuming the shadow doesn’t cause trouble, Claudia turns her attention back to the center of the lake. She is so focused on the mysterious spot that she nearly walks off the end of the dock! What kind of sea monster are you? she silently asks. Did you call the others too?
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception: 25% / 1d100: [71] = 71
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 1d100: [87] = 87

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural.+ 1v Magic/Horror Factor, +3 Psionics.
Consumer wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:54 am A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: March 18th, 1925. 10:55 AM (10 minutes has passed since last post)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1 Under the Microscope (Claudia is at x1)
Glen Jean
Zachary, Theo, Callum

Callum pays for his purchases, and receives the respective change. Once outside, Callum takes a look up and down the street, finding the town not very busy at the moment. But given this is a mining town, most of the men are likely still in the mines, doing their day's work. The town looks like it caters to people better than Prosperity does, having places to deal with the entertainment of folk. Though due to the prohibition, not a single bar can be found. Though Callum is sure that there is likely a speakeasy somewhere around town.

Inside the Company Store still, Zachary and Theo continue chatting with the clerk.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Seems like he was quite the family man. Don't suppose you've seen his wife out and about lately? A tragedy like that seems like the kind of thing that would make a person want to shut themselves off from the world for a while."
The clerk shakes his head. ”No sir, I wouldn’t have the foggiest on whether he was a family man. Didn’t know him very well, if at all. I’ve seen her about, shopping for necessities and what not, but couldn’r rightly say if she’s become a shut in.” The Clerk says.
Theo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:36 pm“Zachary, what if it was the ghost the old man told us about that is causing the drownings? Wooooooo”
The clerk shrugs at the comment, but doesn’t say anything as it wasn’t directed at him.
Zachary Splindt wrote:You got me,” replies Zachary with a slightly nervous chuckle, “It’s funny though, I’ve read my fair share of ghost stories that took place in large lakes. Can’t say I’d be keen on that kind of fate.
The Clerk looks past the duo as another customer approaches the counter.
Theo looks at Zachary and moves his eyes and moves his head towards the door in a 'let's go' motion. As he makes his way to the door hoping Zachary will follow. When he and Zachary are both back to the car, he looks at Zachary and Callum and says, "This is strange, one thing I know about the people in these parts is superstition is as sacred as moonshine. There is nothing strange they won't latch onto and blame on some supernatural cause. Maybe it is a time thing, like time has to pass until it becomes folklore, but no one seems to have been speculating as to the cause of an unnatural number of drowning at the lake." Sam would of had 100 theories by now. "So a couple of other explanations other than enough time hasn't passed. First people know the cause and are under some sort of prohibition that says they can't talk about it to strangers. Or somehow something is keeping them from seeing the pattern. What are your takes, guys?"
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Callum »

Precp 43%: 1d100: [92] = 92
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 1d100: [76] = 76

Conditions:
ISP: 22/22


Callum shrugs at Theo, "Who's to say. Maybe people don't realize just how many people have drowned. This is a larger town, it might not be as noticeable. People go about their lives wanting everything to be a certain way and can ignore a lot strange things if it don't fit their pattern of life." Callum thinks back to the reports given after those things tore apart the men in the trenches. They saw bodies torn apart and it was just shell bombardment and wild dogs scavenging the dead is where the teeth marks came from.

Callum slides into the back seat of the car and says, "Maybe we should swing out by the lake and see what the others have found. Unless you see some place else here in town that we should look into?"
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [81] = 81 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [74] = 74
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [8] = 8
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Theo wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:39 pm Theo looks at Zachary and moves his eyes and moves his head towards the door in a 'let's go' motion. As he makes his way to the door hoping Zachary will follow. When he and Zachary are both back to the car, he looks at Zachary and Callum and says, "This is strange, one thing I know about the people in these parts is superstition is as sacred as moonshine. There is nothing strange they won't latch onto and blame on some supernatural cause. Maybe it is a time thing, like time has to pass until it becomes folklore, but no one seems to have been speculating as to the cause of an unnatural number of drowning at the lake." Sam would of had 100 theories by now. "So a couple of other explanations other than enough time hasn't passed. First people know the cause and are under some sort of prohibition that says they can't talk about it to strangers. Or somehow something is keeping them from seeing the pattern. What are your takes, guys?"
Zachary notices Theo's motion, and follows the man to the car with the bandages in tow. Hearing Theo's analysis, Zachary's memories of many cases come back to him. "I'm not sure about this one Theo," Zachary replies, stealing a glance back at the door. "Folks don't always keep track of everyone that goes under. If the guy at the cash is any indication, this town might not be as tight-knit as we thought it would be." Zachary pauses and ponders the remainder of Theo's ideas. "You got a point though. Surprised the guy didn't know much about the lake just outside of town. That was just one lead though. If Mr. Gypsum disappeared at the lake, maybe his widow might have some idea why he went."
Callum wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:11 pm Callum slides into the back seat of the car and says, "Maybe we should swing out by the lake and see what the others have found. Unless you see some place else here in town that we should look into?"
"Not a bad idea. Everyone got everything?" Zachary takes a quick look around the car and at the bandages on his lap. "I'm ready to go whenever everyone else is."
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1660
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: March 18th, 1925. 11:05 AM (10 minutes has passed since last post)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1 Under the Microscope (Claudia is at x1)
Glen Jean
Zachary, Theo, Callum

Theo has some ideas about what is going on, and voices them. While Callum interjects a bit of extra thinking to the commentary, and Zachary outright questions the whole thought process. In the end the trio decide to leave the town and head to the lake. It takes a few minutes to arrive, but they manage to find it and Aurellio’s bike, which they park next to. In the distance on a dock, the trio can see Aurellio and Claudia, as well as three other men, who Aurellio seems to be conversing with.

The Lake
Aurellio and Claudia
Aurelio wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:27 am"Maybe. Name's Ari. This here's my niece, Claudia. I'm in training, and fish is good food to build muscle, but we're kind of lean on funds, you know? My father used to take me & my brother fishing. Might be the right time to start up again. Gotta get new tackle if so. What kind of bait works well on this lake? My father always swore by bits of spoiled fish or offal. My niece isn't a strong swimmer, and we heard of some deaths lately. Are there safer and less safe spots to fish from? Anything to be careful of?"
The old man smiles, a few teeth missing from his mouth verify his age. ”Names Kevin, and boy don’t I. As for bait, nightcrawlers are fine, but the secret to getting the bigger ones is hotdogs.” Kevin says before he gets quiet for a moment. ”Yeah, a couple of folk over the past few months… Last one was… Gypsum I think, apparently he tried to ice fish on thin ice, found him half frozen in the lake face down. Damn shame really, you’d think he’d have realized the ice was too thin.” Kevin says before falling silent for another moment, his jaw chewing on a thought it seems. ”From the dock here seems pretty safe. From the cleared shoreline should be fine, nothing too big in the lake to pull anyone in, you know like Muskie or Pike. I would just avoid trying to fish from the rough really.” Kevin says finally.

While the conversation goes on, Claudia to everyone else’s view seems to be reaching for something that is not visible. The fishermen don’t seem to pay her any mind as they chat. To Claudia the reedy smoke-like shadow clinging to the back of Kevin seems to always just be out of reach.

When not going for the shadow, Claudia gazes out over the lake, and concentrates on the darkness towards it’s center. While she can’t identify it, she does feel immense sadness and something else radiating from it, but Claudia can’t put it to thoughts quite yet.

About this point a car pulls up next to Aurellio’s bike, and Aurellio can see it’s the others from the house.

What Are Your Intentions?

Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 17/17
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 22/22.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 7/7
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Callum »

Precp 43%: 1d100: [57] = 57
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 1d100: [43] = 43

Conditions:
ISP: 22/22

Callum gets out of the car as they pull up and leans up against the side of it. Pulling out the cheese and crackers he just bought at the store, he gets his knife and starts cutting the cheese and putting it on a cracker before taking the bite. With crumbs on his lips and a somewhat dry mouth, he says, "Maybe we should give them a minute before we go over? Give them a chance to wave us over so we don't interrupt whatever conversation they're having."

Callum doesn't seem in a hurry to do much of anything right now, instead he takes in the view of the lake and the trees. Ah, what a beautiful scrap of nature. Sure beats a trainyard for camping. He tries to enjoy the view for a moment and ignore the fact that several people have died here.

After a few crackers, Callum tucks what's left of the food into a pocket and says to the other two men, "Back in a minute. Then walks off behind a few trees. Those with exceptional hearing might pick up the sound of a zipper and a bit of running water as Callum relieves himself. Stepping out from behind the trees, Callum walks over to the lake and dips his hands into the cold water before scrubbing them together and dipping them back in.

Walking back over to the car, he says to Zachary and Theo, "Surely they seen us by now. Let's head over to the dock but slowly, just in case they need to wave us off."
Post Reply

Return to “Boxed Nightmares”