Of all things Strange and Wild

BTS2 Adventure Forum

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

((Rolls held over))

Claudia's eyes briefly shift to her uncle as if to ask permission from Ari to answer Theo's questions. However, she doesn't wait for her uncle's response. Instead, she turns her attention back to Theo and offers him a small nod to let him know that questions are welcome.
Theo wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:33 pm"Was the sadness and loneliness you felt by the lake the kind you would feel if you lost something something important to you and couldn't find it, or was it like you would feel if you were lost and you feel like no one is looking for you?"
Claudia takes in the question and allows it to swirl around in her brain. "Lost...?" She looks to the floor. Sometimes I feel lost without Mama or Papa... "Lonely...it misses someone. And angry...? It felt hurt...something tricked it?" Claudia isn't sure how to put the emotions into words. "So angry that it wants to hurt something...someone?" She looks up again, hoping the adults understand.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Roll Held Over
Claudia wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:05 pm Claudia's eyes briefly shift to her uncle as if to ask permission from Ari to answer Theo's questions. However, she doesn't wait for her uncle's response. Instead, she turns her attention back to Theo and offers him a small nod to let him know that questions are welcome.
Theo wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:33 pm"Was the sadness and loneliness you felt by the lake the kind you would feel if you lost something something important to you and couldn't find it, or was it like you would feel if you were lost and you feel like no one is looking for you?"
Claudia takes in the question and allows it to swirl around in her brain. "Lost...?" She looks to the floor. Sometimes I feel lost without Mama or Papa... "Lonely...it misses someone. And angry...? It felt hurt...something tricked it?" Claudia isn't sure how to put the emotions into words. "So angry that it wants to hurt something...someone?" She looks up again, hoping the adults understand.
He looks at Claudia, "Thank you Claudia, that is incredibly helpful. There is the connection. Something about these men reminds this . . . 'entity?' . . . of someone who betrayed them. Maybe someone they loved that turned on them maybe hurting them and now they are trying to get to place before they were hurt. Or maybe these men represent someone who betrayed them by sending away or killing someone they loved making them feel alone. So the murders could be punishment for leaving them, or for taking away someone they loved from them. Maybe there is something in the town newspaper's archive that chronicles some sort of Shakespearean tragedy surrounding the lake that lead to this entity taking residence. A good friend of mine use to tell stories like this, and if I am being honest I thought he was just a sucker for superstition. He was born in West Virginia and he used to say that in the "holler" he grew up in there were many stories of people who died suddenly with unfinished business or by suicide that had so much pain in their life that it formed into a negative energy that was fueled by hate, or was twisted by demonic forces if you are of the religious sort. But I saw things overseas that made me question my own skepticism in these regards. Still don't believe in God, but I do firmly believe in evil, and if there is anyway that an evil human can continue to spread hate after death they will find a way."
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Callum »

Precp 43%: 1d100: [9] = 9
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 1d100: [58] = 58

Conditions:
ISP: 22/22

Callum looks at the articles for a while, "That is a lot of men in under a year. And two of them are brothers. I don't see any connection with the dates but I think maybe we should put them on a calendar and see if something lines up. Maybe something with the moon phases? I don't know, this case seems to just be going over my head. Hell, we don't even know if this anger in the lake is the cause. It could be that the shadows Claudia saw like to give a good push every now and then."

Callum flops down into a chair and looks exasperated, "I guess we need to go back to Glen Jean and look around some more at the lake and research these men to see if there was some kind of connection between them all."

Callum gives a deep sigh and rest his hand across is brow, with his index finger and thumb on this temples. What have we gotten ourselves into. This is no case about wolves that turns out to be a creature. This is an angry lake and shadows? I don't think Im going to be able to punch my way outta this one.
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 49% / 1d100: [69] = 69
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 1d100: [73] = 73
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [91] = 91
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [33] = 33
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location:
Current Investigation: The drowning death of Mr. Gipsum, late of Glen Jean, West Virginia.
John Taggert / May 15th / 38 years / found drowned in AM by fishermen in a reedy area
Robert Packerd / July 18th / 25 years / found drowned on lakeshore by hikers
Charles Maynard / August 6th / 56 years / found drowned on lakeshore by fishermen (dead a few days)
Joseph Maynard / August 10th / 57 years / found drowned on lakeshore near where Charles was found
Donald Jefferies / October 19th / 37 years / found drowned under the dock
Richard Mackley / October 19th / 45 years / found drowned under the dock
Edward Tackland / November 7th / 70 years / found exposed/drowned on lakeshore
Michael Gypsum / March 4th / 34 years / found drowned/frozen in thin ice
Police safety warnings ineffective.

Zach wrote:"The kid here has a knack for findings things the rest of us don't always see. I'll take her word for it if something seems a bit off there, even shadows and strange things in lakes."
Aurelio nods along in agreement. Indeed, she's quite special. I wonder why my brother never mentioned any of this?
Claudia wrote:“It was dark. It didn’t talk to me, but I could feel it. It was sad and lonely. Maybe it wanted a friend? The shadows didn’t talk either. They only moved. I saw one on the dock, by Mr. Kevin. I saw others by the trees. And something was angry. Maybe it was mad that I tried to talk…it knew I was there.”
Aurelio rubs her back comfortingly. "Perhaps the shadows are the spirits of those departed? Perhaps Kevin was close to one, and that's why one stayed near him?"
Theo wrote:"We can assume as adult males that grew up in these parts, they were aware of the lake, and knew how to swim. Most people that don't know how to swim, stay away from lakes, at the very least the water. Statistically this many men accidentally drowning in the same lake in a year is highly improbable."
Aurelio nods vigorously thinking this to be solid reasoning.
Claudia wrote:"Lost...lonely...it misses someone...angry...feels hurt...something tricked it? So angry that it wants to hurt something...someone?"
Sounds like the vengeful spirit of a woman who got a raw deal.
Callum wrote:"That is a lot of men in under a year. And two of them are brothers. I don't see any connection with the dates but I think maybe we should put them on a calendar and see if something lines up. Maybe something with the moon phases? I don't know, this case seems to just be going over my head. Hell, we don't even know if this anger in the lake is the cause. It could be that the shadows Claudia saw like to give a good push every now and then. I guess we need to go back to Glen Jean and look around some more at the lake and research these men to see if there was some kind of connection between them all."
"Indeed. I believe the coffee's finito and we're about out of use to be gained here. We've time enough for another trip. I'd like to speak to the widow Gypsum. It would also be helpful to rule out any other connections these men may have had. Were they friends? Did they attend the same church? Work at the same place? Share some hobby? Perhaps the police would be okay with sharing what they collected with a detective?" He adds this last suggestively given the occupations of the men of the group.
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1706
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlatch Manor, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: March 18th, 1925. 3:10 PM (20 minutes has passed since last post)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural (Claudia is at x3)
The group discusses what they have found after reading through the articles and obituaries. Zachary gets clarification that there was no voice, just a feeling from the lake. Theo tries to make heads or tails of the situation, by using logic that would work if the perpetrator was a person or persons, but factoring in the supernatural incident, it throws several wrenches into the works. Claudia tries her best to answer questions, but given her unique issues, she has a limited ability to do so.

Theo makes a rational leap in logic, and considers the newspaper, but finds that none of the articles are from a local paper, but a county one, from a town forty or so miles north of Prosperity. Callum adds to the discourse, suggesting looking at the dates on the calendar, but when that is done, nothing comes of it in terms of patterns or points of interest. Aurelio adds a bit more to the conversation, which given the subject certainly isn’t the craziest theory about the shadowy thing Claudia saw following the man named Kevin around. Aurelio suggests going back to Glen Jean to ask around from various points of interest. One thing the group knows is that Mike Gypsum has a widow, and she resides somewhere in Glen Jean.

What Are Your Intentions?

Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 51/47
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48



Let me know clearly where you are heading to in Glen Jean, if you need ideas, please feel free to PM me. ~Consumer
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception: 25% / 1d100: [38] = 38
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 1d100: [16] = 16

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural.+ 1v Magic/Horror Factor, +3 Psionics.
Theo contemplates for a moment. "My gut tells me these men shared something like history or temperament that led to their demise. On the force, I had the authority to get whatever info I needed to confirm or deny those instinctual assertions. Now I find myself needing to apply more finesse than force. Zachary and I will go to the police station in the morning and see if we can convince them to let us look at the case records, or share information about the men, like criminal record and the such. The rest of the group can go talk to the widow Gypsum. If we are able to find a common thread that would be our best chance at understanding how these deaths are linked besides method and the short time in which all of them occurred. Maybe then we will know how to stop more drownings from occurring." The obvious question. What do we do when we find the link. "I am going for a run. before dinner."

Theo goes to his room and changes into his calisthenics clothing. He exits the house to begin his jog. He will pop into the Diner, to see if Carl is there. If there, he asks to speak a moment. "Carl, I wanted to ask you about this case we are looking into. There is this thing that only Claudia can see that is hurting people. I am afraid it could hurt her as we get closer to dealing with it. Her "gift" is remarkable, but I feel helpless. How do we protect her from something I can't see. Do you know of anything that can help us help her? If nothing specific can you point me in a direction to find out that information?"
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [39] = 39 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [72] = 72
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [11] = 11
Conditions: Closed to the supernatural
Theo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:57 am "Zachary and I will go to the police station in the morning and see if we can convince them to let us look at the case records, or share information about the men, like criminal record and the such. The rest of the group can go talk to the widow Gypsum. If we are able to find a common thread that would be our best chance at understanding how these deaths are linked besides method and the short time in which all of them occurred. Maybe then we will know how to stop more drownings from occurring."
Zachary nods in agreement. "Sounds like a plan. Folks back at the agency always said I could charm a person about as well as you could cut down a tree with a herring, so I'll probably be more useful sifting through records." he says with a small chuckle. Hoping to find some paper and something to write with, Zachary jots down the names of the victims and the dates of their death and puts his notes back into his coat pocket.

"I dunno what these shadows could be, but trouble is trouble." mentions Zachary, "Might want to pack a flashlight in case they're not as friendly as we think they are."

As Theo leaves for his jog and the others retire for the night, Zachary tries to think of a strategy for convincing the police to let them view the records. Someone mentioned that the coppers won't just let us pass. We've both got the background. Maybe we can find common ground somewhere. Otherwise, maybe just come out and say we're working on a case? Concerned citizens? Good samaritans? Zachary frowns as an unwelcome memory surfaces. Just gotta remember this time not to try using bribes. Nearly got me thrown into the slammer that one time. I'll talk about it with Theo when we head out in the morning.
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Callum »

Precp 43%: [roll]1d100[/roll]
JIC: [roll]1d20[/roll] [roll]1d100[/roll]

Conditions:
Closed to the Supernatural
ISP: 22/22

Callum looks around at the group, "Yeah, lets save the drive for in the morning. If we left now it would be around supper time for most by the time we got there. Best we start fresh in the morning. Maybe after we check in on the widow Gypsum and you two check the police files, we can head back over to the lake. We might know more by then." Callum shrugs. Though I'm not sure if knowing more would be a good thing at this point.

Callum smiles as Claudia and asks the girl, "Do you want to try and talk to the lake again? Maybe it won't be so surprised by you again." He doesn't really know how any of this works and feels foolish when he asks this of Claudia. My abilities all are a part of me and what I... bah.

Callum gives his head a little shake and then turns to Ari, "Of course if you say no, then we'll figure this out some other way."
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 49% / 1d100: [2] = 2 CRIT!
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 1d100: [94] = 94
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [50] = 50
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [18] = 18
Streetwise: Weird 55% / 1d100: [29] = 29 & Lore: Religion 60% / 1d100: [29] = 29
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location:
Current Investigation: The drowning death of Mr. Gipsum, late of Glen Jean, West Virginia.
John Taggert / May 15th / 38 years / found drowned in AM by fishermen in a reedy area
Robert Packerd / July 18th / 25 years / found drowned on lakeshore by hikers
Charles Maynard / August 6th / 56 years / found drowned on lakeshore by fishermen (dead a few days)
Joseph Maynard / August 10th / 57 years / found drowned on lakeshore near where Charles was found
Donald Jefferies / October 19th / 37 years / found drowned under the dock
Richard Mackley / October 19th / 45 years / found drowned under the dock
Edward Tackland / November 7th / 70 years / found exposed/drowned on lakeshore
Michael Gypsum / March 4th / 34 years / found drowned/frozen in thin ice
Police safety warnings ineffective.


"Excuse me, but I think I need some time to think," Aurelio says. He tousles Claudia's hair affectionately before stepping outside for fresh air. Aurelio enjoys coffee, cigarettes, and some quiet time reflecting on everything. He deeply considers the possible connections between known facts, reported details, and any possible overlap with the lore of the streets and of the church (see skill checks above) as he recollects the details found in the news clippings, and shared about the men between the group members. Do any of the group's theories seem likely? Plausible? Is there some relevant detail they're been made aware of which they're now overlooking? Aurelio racks his brain, similarly frustrated like the others. I'm not a smart man, but I remember well. I like to think I'm alert, listen, pay attention, and do the work. If I just think on this a good while, I should be able to make the tapioca between my ears firm up and provide something if I just put in the effort.

Contingency: If the group is attacked by anything, Aurelio will push himself into harm's way to protect the others. His protective priority will always be to protect Claudia, then the other guys.

Initiative (+1 included): 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9
All actions reserved for defense.

Parries: 1d20+6: [10]+6 = 16 , 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 , 1d20+6: [2]+6 = 8 , 1d20+6: [6]+6 = 12 , 1d20+6: [19]+6 = 25
Auto-Dodge: 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3


Italian-Engligh Translation: xxxx
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [74] = 74 / 33%
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [1] = 1
Current I.S.P.: 44
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Impervious to Hypnotic Suggestion, Mind Controlling Drugs and most forms of Mind Control (including magic)
Skills:

Whitlach Manor

As everyone discusses the situation at Glen Jean, Claudia watches them all. The people who died were men, she reminds herself. When Aurelio ruffles her hair before stepping out to think in fresh air, Claudia offers him a small smile, but when he’s gone, her demeanor changes completely. They’re all worried about me, but maybe I’m not the one in danger.
Callum wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:57 pmCallum smiles as Claudia and asks the girl, "Do you want to try and talk to the lake again? Maybe it won't be so surprised by you again."
Claudia replies with a nod. Maybe if I can be friends with the lake, it won’t hurt the others. Even as she thinks it, she’s not totally convinced that lake is what has killed the men at Glen Jean.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1706
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlatch Manor, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: March 19th, 1925. 7:00 PM
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural (Claudia is at x3)
The group finishes their discussion on what may be a cause, or at least a correlation to the deaths, before deciding to wait till morning to make their way back to Glen Jean.

Theo goes for a run and eventually ends up at Carl’s diner, where he does find Carl manning his usual post as his staff deal with the few customers there are.
Theo wrote:"Carl, I wanted to ask you about this case we are looking into. There is this thing that only Claudia can see that is hurting people. I am afraid it could hurt her as we get closer to dealing with it. Her "gift" is remarkable, but I feel helpless. How do we protect her from something I can't see. Do you know of anything that can help us help her? If nothing specific can you point me in a direction to find out that information?"
Carl shrugs. ”Sounds like quite a pickle. Besides someone else who has a gift, no, I don’t know of anything that could help you. Though to be fair that girl is stronger than you know. In the vein of advice giving, maybe stop looking at the problem as something that can be fought, and look at more like a puzzle to be solved. Not sure if that will help, but it certainly can’t hurt to maybe change perspectives.” Carl says.

Zachary for his part sits down to do some real thinking. In the end, there are three very likely scenarios that will happen approaching the local authorities in Glen Jean. One is the possibility that it’s company security that runs the law in the area, and from what Zachary knows of Barrow & Locke, they don’t play nice with outsiders. The Second is that the town doesn’t have its own police force, and relies on county sherrifs to police the area, which means one would have to go to the main city of the county, which is not Glen Jean. The third is if fate smiles on the group, and there are police in the town, it’s likely they’ll talk if he plays nice and says he’s investigating for some third party.

Callum for the most part just talks with the others.

Aurelio takes a seat on the upper balcony, as there is no porch to speak of. Sipping coffee and smoking a cigarette or two, Aurelio thinks on the situation, and really only comes up with one logical note. This ghost, which is what it seems to be by all that Aurelio knows about them, is killing men in some manner of anger, but it doesn’t seem to target all men, so something about the men who died is a key that makes the ghost drown them. If Aurelio had to truly guess, it’s likely that none of the men were particularly good.

Claudia wanders the house, she considers the issue, and weighs the worries of her uncle and companions. A considers the thought of befriending whatever is in the lake.

The evening is dull and uneventful, a dinner is made from stocks in the manor, and the night fully sets in Prosperity.
For bonus XP write a dream. Next post will start at 7 AM. ~Consumer.

What Are Your Intentions?

Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 51/47
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Post Reply

Return to “Boxed Nightmares”