Episode 1: What just happened?

Adventured threads & archive sub forum

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

Perception: 1d100: [10] = 10 / 31%
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [22] = 22
Conditions: +1 save vs HF
SDC: 16/20
HP: 19/19
Skills:

On the road…

Lynn watches the streetcar pass by without trouble, but the blood splattered upon it worries her. This can’t be happening…
Dylan Sowell wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:48 am"Well, whatever the hell this is, it isn't confined to this district. Those streetcar lines cross districts. We'd best pray the problem's confined to The Big Easy." He looks over at Lynn after saying this.
She looks over to Dylan. “Did you catch the news reports this morning? Seems this pandemic, the Wave as they’re calling it, is a problem in most metropolitan areas. The hospitals have been dealing with overcrowding for the last week.” She stops to consider the events of their morning, then adds, “The first…attacker was wearing a hospital gown. I really don’t know what’s happening right now. Remy mentioned zombies, but that’s Hollywood stuff, right? Anyway, maybe it’s best to get out of the city for now. I don’t know about you, but I suddenly regret leaving home.”

If there’s trouble, Lynn will be sure to keep the truck's passenger window rolled up and the door locked. If needs be, she'll dodge the best she can in her seat.
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: [13] = 13
1. Dodge: 1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9
2. Dodge: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18
3. Dodge: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16
4. Dodge: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14
Parries (if needed): 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , and 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
User avatar
The Governor
Dimension Master
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by The Governor »

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana - Outside The Saenger Theater and Hotel, N Rampart St.
Date: April 1st
Time: 3:20 pm (sunrise: 6:50am / sunset: 7:15pm)
Weather: cloudy, 90º
Notes
Josh, car abandoned on the street 2 blocks away, near the corner of Canal & Liberty
Caravan order: Remy, Nana Jo, Dylan, and Macher



Macher slows to a stop and after a very brief talk, Brandon loads up into Macher's SUV. They converse a little more as Macher offers Brandon the use of a weapon. As the convoy slows, Nana Jo sees Nacher come to a stop and drops back to pull up alongside of the SUV. This is Macher's first good look at an older member of the group, but she doesn't linger as everything looks okay and she pulls out in front of Macher's SUV until they catch up to the rest of the group.

Dylan and Lynn start to discuss just how widespread the current trouble is and Lynn spoils Dylan's hope that it's only a local thing when she brings up the fact that the pandemic has started to be called the Wave and is spread across the country if not further. Sitting in the bed of Dylan's truck, like a day laborer picked up for a construction job, Josh rides along calmly. Dylan and Lynn also notice that the side streets are mainly residential and there seems to be quite a few people out loading up their cars with whatever they feel is important to them. Dylan sees one man trying to fit the largest TV he's ever seen into a Hando Civic, while Lynn spots a family trying to cram a baby stroller into a trunk already over filled with suitcases.

Up in the front, Remy video's the trolly car and some of what else is going on. If the video is ever looked at later, it is of excellent quality. Somehow Remy managed to hold the camera steady and deliver spot on dialog corresponding to the images.

Everyone notices that traffic has started to pick up too. There are at least five other cars driving in the same direction as the caravan but as the group starts to ease into the curve to the east on North Rampart Street, a number of the cars peel off onto St. Bernard Avenue. Based on the map, Lynn and Remy figure that they're headed up to I-10 thinking it'll be the quickest way out of town.

As the caravan comes around the curve and are now on St. Claude Avenue heading easterly, everyone notices that most of the traffic is either headed to the west, back the way they came from or it's running up the cross streets to the north. About a block and a half from the intersection of St. Claude Avenue and Elysian Fields Avenue, Remy and Dylan see that traffic is slowing to a stop at that intersection and there appears to be some sort of traffic accident but they're too far away to see exactly what the problem is.

What do you do?
User avatar
Remy
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:23 am

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Remy »

Perception: d%: [70] = 70 | 53%
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 | d%: [21] = 21
Conditions: +1 vs HF, +1 vs psi/insanity
HP: 17/17
SDC:19/20

The Governor wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:01 pmAs the caravan comes around the curve and are now on St. Claude Avenue heading easterly, everyone notices that most of the traffic is either headed to the west, back the way they came from or it's running up the cross streets to the north. About a block and a half from the intersection of St. Claude Avenue and Elysian Fields Avenue, Remy and Dylan see that traffic is slowing to a stop at that intersection and there appears to be some sort of traffic accident but they're too far away to see exactly what the problem is.
Shit. Possible accident ahead. Things are about to get really messy in The Big Easy. We need to get ahead of this otherwise our chances for survival are going to fall real fast.

Remy rolls his window down, makes eye contact with Nanna Jo on her motorcycle and flags her forward to have a discussion.

"Reckon we might have an accident up ahead. Ain't no waiting for police to clear it." Remy gestures in the direction of the hospital that they had previously seen squad cars racing toward.

"Figure it'll be a bad idea to get bogged down. So I'm thinking it's law-breaking time. I'll be heading 'cross these tracks, crossing the intersection facing on-coming traffic and then heading back onto St. Claude once past the obstruction. Figure you can do with that info what you want... really wish we had some walkie-talkies."

A strained look rests on Remy's face as he looks with determination at the road ahead, focused on not getting his van stuck on anything or getting into a collision of his own as he tries to bypass the accident maneuvering into oncoming traffic for a little while. He will wait on the trolley track (yellow hash) area before heading into oncoming traffic unless another southbound trolley happens by ((presumably not likely given we just saw one pass)), in which case he will try to Frogger his way into the Walgreens parking lot as an action of last resort.

Legend:
  • Blue rectangle: where I assume the caravan currently is.
  • Red arrows: direction of Remy's intended driving.
Automobile. d%: [51] = 51 | 73%
StClaudeElys.png


Having pulled onto the yellow hash trolley tracks and getting a better view, Remy sees that the intersection is fully blocked. He quickly hits his hazard lights, the universal sign that those behind should stop and/or be cautious, hoping that the rest of the caravan will see and puts his van into park.

Well that's no good. We are going to need to either find another way or clear the intersection. But it's probably a good idea to see what is at the intersection first.

Hopping into the cargo/rear area of his van, Remy digs up one of his DJI Tello drones before heading back to the driver's seat.

Guess if I lose this little guy, it'll be an acceptable loss. Remy thinks to himself as he turns on the drone, and selects the activated drone through the DJI flight app.

Once the live camera view shows up on his phone, he will roll down his window and toss it into the air (before rolling up his window) and fly it to survey what the issue is at the intersection. If time allows, Remy will also scout out the nearby streets to assess which ones are most heavily congested and which might allow for passage of their caravan.

Roadwise. d%: [14] = 14 | 67% <== Assessment of local traffic and whether there are other options for getting moving (without needing to clear this intersection)

Should the cause for the traffic at the intersection call for immediate notification of the others, Remy will roll down his window and holler back at the caravan what is happening at the intersection ((example: zombie attack)).


Initiative: 1d20: [10] = 10
APM: 4
Action 1: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4
Action 2: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [6]+3 = 9
Action 3: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [14]+3 = 17
Action 4: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [19]+3 = 22

Parries (if necessary): 1d20+3: [20]+3 = 23 , 1d20+3: [13]+3 = 16 , 1d20+3: [12]+3 = 15 , 1d20+3: [12]+3 = 15
User avatar
Brandon Rodgers
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:24 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Brandon Rodgers »

Perception 15%: d100: [73] = 73
JIC: d100: [15] = 15 , d20: [17] = 17

Brandon says to Macher, “Why we stopping? Did something just fly out of the lead car?” If we stop too long we may find we draw some unwanted attention.He starts looking around making sure the isn’t anything approaching their stopped vehicle. He grips the gun nervously ready to act.


Action 1: Pistol - To Strike 4 d20+8: [4]+8 = 12 , Damage: 4d6: [6, 4, 4, 6] = 20
Action 2: Dodge - d20+12: [14]+12 = 26
Action 3: Pistol - To Strike 3 d20+8: [3]+8 = 11 , Damage: 4d6: [4, 6, 3, 1] = 14
Action 4: Dodge - d20+12: [7]+12 = 19
Action 5: Pistol - To Strike 10 d20+8: [10]+8 = 18 , Damage: 4d6: [6, 4, 2, 2] = 14
Action 6: Dodge - d20+12: [15]+12 = 27
Last edited by Brandon Rodgers on Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

Perception: 46% / 1d100: [43] = 43
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [66] = 66
Conditions: +3 v HF, +1 v Toxins;
Automobile 66% / 1d100: [1] = 1 (Amazeballs critical success!)
Automobile 66% / 1d100: [33] = 33
Automobile 66% / 1d100: [10] = 10
Lynn Jacobs wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:05 pm“Did you catch the news reports this morning? Seems this pandemic, the Wave as they’re calling it, is a problem in most metropolitan areas...Remy mentioned zombies, but that’s Hollywood stuff, right? Anyway, maybe it’s best to get out of the city for now.”
Dylan's mind goes fuzzy and tunes out much of what he hears from Lynn. Fuck. This is it then. And it's a ri-goddamn-diculous zombie apocalypse, after all. Hollywood accidentally got something right. Dylan shakes his head ruefully. Guess Mom wins the bet. Dad was always certain it was gonna be a nuclear exchange. I laid money on a super virus. Mom was the one we teased about thinking it'd be something we thought impossible. I think she was hinting at the rapture without saying it, but I guess a zombie apocalypse still fits the bill. "Yeah," he mutters in reply, "big cities are the worst place to be in pretty much every kind of disaster. It's why I have a cozy compound set up on a small island outside of Detroit's suburbs. Time to find high ground somewhere with fresh water and away from people until things calm down a bit."
GM wrote:Everyone notices that traffic has started to pick up too. There are at least five other cars driving in the same direction as the caravan but as the group starts to ease into the curve to the east on North Rampart Street, a number of the cars peel off onto St. Bernard Avenue. Based on the map, Lynn and Remy figure that they're headed up to I-10 thinking it'll be the quickest way out of town. As the caravan comes around the curve and are now on St. Claude Avenue heading easterly, everyone notices that most of the traffic is either headed to the west, back the way they came from or it's running up the cross streets to the north. About a block and a half from the intersection of St. Claude Avenue and Elysian Fields Avenue, Remy and Dylan see that traffic is slowing to a stop at that intersection and there appears to be some sort of traffic accident but they're too far away to see exactly what the problem is.
Of course. Knew this was gonna happen. His window down, Dylan does not slow down, but rather accelerates. "Hold tight," he tells Lynn, then yells loudly out the window at their caravan, "Don't stop for shit!" He then floors it as he aims to find the path of least resistance and GO. He pays absolutely zero heed to traffic laws, customs, or courtesies. He doesn't even realize he's speaking out loud as he says, "The law's fucked now. No point in it. The tribe is now all. Speed and distance, man. Water, bullets, and food. Next couple weeks are gonna be totally fucked."

Initiative: 1d20: [2] = 2
All actions reserved for defense & driving.

Parries (+7 included): 1d20+7: [9]+7 = 16 , 1d20+7: [12]+7 = 19 , 1d20+7: [3]+7 = 10 , 1d20+7: [1]+7 = 8 , 1d20+7: [14]+7 = 21 , 1d20+7: [2]+7 = 9
Dodges (+8 included): 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22 , 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27 , 1d20+8: [15]+8 = 23 , 1d20+8: [15]+8 = 23 , 1d20+8: [17]+8 = 25 , 1d20+8: [18]+8 = 26
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Macher
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:43 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Macher »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [87] = 87
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 / 1d100: [14] = 14
Conditions: +5 v HF, +2 v Non-lethal Toxins, +4 v Lethal Toxins;
Automobile: 63%/ 1d100: [32] = 32
Automobile: 63%/ 1d100: [60] = 60
Automobile: 63%/ 1d100: [82] = 82
Automobile: 63%/ 1d100: [95] = 95
Automobile: 63%/ 1d100: [14] = 14
Brandon said: wrote: “Why we stopping? Did something just fly out of the lead car?”
Macher tries to crane his neck to see ahead without opening the window. F@$k!!, we do not need this. Why didn’t I stay on base? At least I would have had my own team, equipment, and known the geography.

”Don’t know, but it can’t be good. Looks like traffic is backed up in general. It may get bumpy and I need to concentrate on driving, so I need you to pick up the slack on defense.” God, I hope he is as smart and good with that gun as he is pretty. At least he looks to be young and in shape so his eyes should be good.
Dylan Wrote: wrote: then yells loudly out the window at their caravan, "Don't stop for shit!" He then floors it as he aims to find the path of least resistance and GO. He pays absolutely zero heed to traffic laws, customs, or courtesies.
Hearing this Macher honks twice and gives a short wave to show he heard. Good, someone is willing to make decisions. It may not always be the best decision, but it is always better than freezing and not doing anything.

Macher says partly to himself and partly for Brandon. ”Good, let’s go.” the loud enough for Dylan to hear…hopefully ”Go, go. I’m on your 6!"

In case of violence: Initiative: 1d20+3: 1d20+3: [16]+3 = 19
All actions reserved for defense & driving.

Parries (+4 included): 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24 , 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9
Dodges (+5 included): 1d20+5: [15]+5 = 20 , 1d20+5: [9]+5 = 14 , 1d20+5: [8]+5 = 13 , 1d20+5: [1]+5 = 6 , 1d20+5: [10]+5 = 15
User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

Perception: 1d100: [83] = 83 / 31%
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 / 1d100: [89] = 89
Conditions: +1 save vs HF
SDC: 16/20
HP: 19/19
Skills:
Land Navigation: 1d100: [71] = 71 / 61%
Invoke Trust: 1d100: [73] = 73 / 25% (to get Dylan's attention)

Near the Intersection of St. Claude Avenue and Elysian Fields Avenue

Observing some traffic heading north, Lynn checks her atlas and concludes that those drivers must be headed for the interstate. She points it out to Dylan and adds, “I’m sure they aren’t the only ones with that idea. I-10 is probably a mess. Remy was smart to stick to this route.”
The Governor wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:01 pmAbout a block and a half from the intersection of St. Claude Avenue and Elysian Fields Avenue, Remy and Dylan see that traffic is slowing to a stop at that intersection and there appears to be some sort of traffic accident but they're too far away to see exactly what the problem is.
“Remy’s stopped. What’s happening up ahead?” Lynn wonders out loud. She checks the map at her disposal and tries to locate a detour that will get the group back on track. “Maybe turn right on Frenchmen…we can get around whatever is…”
Dylan Sowell wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:02 amDylan does not slow down, but rather accelerates. "Hold tight," he tells Lynn, then yells loudly out the window at their caravan, "Don't stop for shit!" He then floors it as he aims to find the path of least resistance and GO. He pays absolutely zero heed to traffic laws, customs, or courtesies. He doesn't even realize he's speaking out loud as he says, "The law's fucked now. No point in it. The tribe is now all. Speed and distance, man. Water, bullets, and food. Next couple weeks are gonna be totally fucked."
“Wait! You’re going to…” Kill somebody…oh god! Realizing that Dylan isn’t going to slow down or stop for anyone, Lynn scrambles to grab the handle above her door. She grips it so tightly that her knuckles turn white. She wraps an arm around Tarka in an attempt to keep her safe. With wide eyes, she looks back at Josh in the bed of the truck and prays that he won’t fall out. Looking back at Dylan as he goes on about the current state of laws, she tries to calm him down. "Dylan, if you don't think things through, someone's going to get hurt," she reminds him gently. "We can get through this if we stay calm. Right?"

If there’s trouble, Lynn will be sure to keep the truck's passenger window rolled up and the door locked. If needs be, she'll dodge the best she can in her seat.
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: [6] = 6
1. Dodge: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17
2. Dodge: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11
3. Dodge: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11
4. Dodge: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8
Parries (if needed): 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 , and 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
User avatar
Brandon Rodgers
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:24 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Brandon Rodgers »

(Rolls Carried)
Macher wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:34 am Macher tries to crane his neck to see ahead without opening the window. F@$k!!, we do not need this. Why didn’t I stay on base? At least I would have had my own team, equipment, and known the geography.

”Don’t know, but it can’t be good. Looks like traffic is backed up in general. It may get bumpy and I need to concentrate on driving, so I need you to pick up the slack on defense.” God, I hope he is as smart and good with that gun as he is pretty. At least he looks to be young and in shape so his eyes should be good.
Dylan Wrote: wrote: then yells loudly out the window at their caravan, "Don't stop for shit!" He then floors it as he aims to find the path of least resistance and GO. He pays absolutely zero heed to traffic laws, customs, or courtesies.
Hearing this Macher honks twice and gives a short wave to show he heard. Good, someone is willing to make decisions. It may not always be the best decision, but it is always better than freezing and not doing anything.

Macher says partly to himself and partly for Brandon. ”Good, let’s go.” the loud enough for Dylan to hear…hopefully ”Go, go. I’m on your 6!"
WTF!!!!! Brandon quickly pops the clip out of the gun. Pulls back the slide and catches the bullet. Puts it in the clip and reinserts the clip and sets it down in the between his legs and he quickly buckles his seat belt. He picks the gun back up. “Physics isn’t on our side here. I hope his truck is stronger than it looks.”

Roll w/ Impact d20+9: [15]+9 = 24
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [59] = 59 (FAIL)
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 / 1d100: [25] = 25
Conditions: +1 v HF, +4 v Toxins;
The Governor wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:01 pm Everyone notices that traffic has started to pick up too. There are at least five other cars driving in the same direction as the caravan but as the group starts to ease into the curve to the east on North Rampart Street, a number of the cars peel off onto St. Bernard Avenue. Based on the map, Lynn and Remy figure that they're headed up to I-10 thinking it'll be the quickest way out of town.

As the caravan comes around the curve and are now on St. Claude Avenue heading easterly, everyone notices that most of the traffic is either headed to the west, back the way they came from or it's running up the cross streets to the north. About a block and a half from the intersection of St. Claude Avenue and Elysian Fields Avenue, Remy and Dylan see that traffic is slowing to a stop at that intersection and there appears to be some sort of traffic accident but they're too far away to see exactly what the problem is.
Nanna Jo is enjoying the wind as she rides along the road away from where the traffic's headed. Good run this, we might get out before it's dark! Shortly afterward, alas, their luck changes. The accident at an intersection comes into view.

"I suppose it couldn't last," Nanna Jo sighs to herself, "but maybe we can get around it?"

She pulls up behind Dylan's truck and waves to Josh who'd been riding in the back. "I got a drone in the saddle here. Can fly it up and get a squiz at where we can go around-"
Dylan Sowell wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:02 am "Don't stop for shit!" He then floors it as he aims to find the path of least resistance and GO.
Nanna Jo is shocked. What IS he thinking? Her motorbike follows slowly at an increasing distance as Dylan's truck hurtles forward. Is this another Alpha Male Wolf Man moment? She moves aside incase any other lunatics want to accelerate past her to join Dylan's charge. If he howling at the moon?

"Well, if he hits a kid I'll smack him out." After a moment she draws in a sharp breath with a muttered curse, takes off in pursuit. "Bloody American yobbos!" She accelerates wildly to catch up to the group, mindful of obstacles and keeping enough distance between her and the large vehicles just in case disaster strikes. Got to keep up, but need the stopping distance too!

Motorcycles & Snowmobiles 68%: 1d100: [38] = 38 (SUCCESS)
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
User avatar
The Governor
Dimension Master
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by The Governor »

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana - Outside The Saenger Theater and Hotel, N Rampart St.
Date: April 1st
Time: 3:22 pm (sunrise: 6:50am / sunset: 7:15pm)
Weather: cloudy, 90º
Notes
Caravan order: Dylan, Nana Jo, Macher, Remy



Remy starts to slow as the traffic jam ahead comes into view, with plans to dig out a drone for some aerial recon but Dylan zooms passed him to take the lead of the caravan. By the time Remy gets going again, Nana Jo and Macher have passed him as well. No one really hears Dylan as he yells out his window but everyone falls in line as he leads the caravan into the trolly lane.

Everyone bounces around as Dylan leads the caravan through the trolly switch tracks and over the low yellow dividing curb and into the on-coming lanes. From the on-coming lands the view of the intersection is clearer. Best guess is that a Hostess snack delivery truck was going east on St. Claude when a police car heading north on Elysian Fields Avenue slammed into it. When it was struck, the Hostess truck spun and turned over on its side, with the back end opened up it slung Twinkies all across the road. What really draws your attention is the police car. The front end is smashed pretty good but the cop has gotten the door open and is stumbling out somewhat dazed, likely saved by the airbag.

As you reach the intersection proper, Dylan finds his line and stays on track with everyone else doing their best to follow along. Cutting through the spilled Twinkies, they explode like a mine field as the car smash them to paste, yellow cake and cream filling flying everywhere. Before Dylan has the caravan through the intersection, the cop has gotten to his feet and is pulling his pistol but he doesn't take aim at the caravan. He's pointing the pistol into the back seat of his car about the time the cop lets off the first round, Dylan hops the curb and is threading the needle between the trees and poles lining the grass covered median. Tree branches scrape along the sides of the larger vehicles but Nana Jo, on her much smaller motorcycle, has no issues.

Dylan leads the group off the median about halfway down the block and due to the mess now behind them, the east bound side of St. Claude Avenue is clear of traffic for at least five blocks. Coming around a slight curve at the intersection with Franklin Avenue, Dylan notices that they seem to have crossed some invisible line and the majority of the traffic here is headed north. The street here is mainly residences but there are some store scattered here and there. At least a third to a half of the houses you pass have people loading cars and a few of the businesses have the owners outside putting plywood up over the windows and doors like a hurricane was coming.

As the caravan progresses down the road they see several loaded down cars duplicate Dylan's maneuver and cut across the median but they are all aiming for a north bound road and the group passes fairly easily. No one appears to be following the traffic signals anymore either as they head to wherever their destination may be. Though the California stop has gained popularity as most people seem to brake a little when they don't have the right or way, if only to check that the cross traffic is clear. Glancing in the rearview mirror, Dylan catches sight that a few cars have fallen in behind the caravan.

The caravan has gone about another mile down St. Claude when the crossbeams of a bridge can be spotted ahead. The way is fairly clear, with most of the traffic still heading north, though even that seems to have dropped off as this stretch of the road has turned more commercial. As the caravan crosses Poland Avenue, everyone hears the pop, pop, pop and those that look will see what appears to be a shoot out in the parking lot of the Dollar General on the north side of the street. Dylan sees that the people fleeing are carrying cases of bottled water.

What do you do?


Butcher's Bill
Lynn: -4 sdc
Remy: -1 sdc
Tarka: -3 sdc
User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

Perception: 46% / 1d100: [8] = 8
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [24] = 24
Conditions: +3 v HF, +1 v Toxins;
Automobile 66% / 1d100: [74] = 74
Lynn wrote:"Dylan, if you don't think things through, someone's going to get hurt. We can get through this if we stay calm. Right?"
Dylan gives her enough time while driving to show her a wry, angry, sympathetic smile. "Oh, I've thought this through all right." He turns his eyes back to the road. The driving ahead isn't quite as crazy as it's clear, but it deserves his attention. "I've been thinking exactly this situation through for the better part of a decade, lady. And my folks? Most of their lives. It's the rest of you who haven't thought things through. Everyone else who hasn't prepared. The whole of you, this civilization, you've not thought things through. Your 'just in time' supply chains, your fucked up priorities, your abundance of distractions, your stupid faith in words on paper, your moronic idolatry of government as the savior-in-abstract who'll solve all your problems. Worst of all this cult of relentless progress. The arrogance of it all. The ignorance of history. Your refusal to look ruin & collapse in the face and acknowledge it as kin, not as a stranger. Look around you, Lynn. This is how much people like you--good people trying to do what they think is right but with a narrow perception of reality--this is the result of how little you have thought things through. And Lynn, BILLIONS are 'going to get hurt' this time around. Last time we played this flick, a third of Europe perished. We didn't have medicine then, sure, but we also didn't have billions crammed in cities dependent on fragile supply chains, unable to defend themselves, and unable to feed themselves." Jesus, I almost sound like grandpa, and I never realized how right grandpa was until she gave me the freaking news. "Lynn, you may not realize it, or maybe you're still shoving that truth deep down with your hope, but that news you gave me--that this shit is national, maybe international? You just told me these are the end of days--for civilization, anyway. I don't think this is how the carpenter of Nazareth would herald his return and the coming of the kingdom of God. I really don't. Folks with your skills and knowledge, Lynn--folks like you are gonna become worth far more than your weight in gold. And it's gonna be folks like me who keep you alive to preserve life."
GM wrote:The caravan has gone about another mile down St. Claude when the crossbeams of a bridge can be spotted ahead. The way is fairly clear, with most of the traffic still heading north, though even that seems to have dropped off as this stretch of the road has turned more commercial. As the caravan crosses Poland Avenue, everyone hears the pop, pop, pop and those that look will see what appears to be a shoot out in the parking lot of the Dollar General on the north side of the street. Dylan sees that the people fleeing are carrying cases of bottled water.
"We still on the right course, yeah? You're the navigator, Lynn! Guide us outta the maelstrom." Dylan follows Lynn's guidance & directions, true to his word that he's just driving.

Initiative: 1d20: [8] = 8
All actions reserved for dodges.

Parries (+7 included): 1d20+7: [3]+7 = 10 , 1d20+7: [16]+7 = 23 , 1d20+7: [10]+7 = 17 , 1d20+7: [17]+7 = 24 , 1d20+7: [6]+7 = 13 , 1d20+7: [7]+7 = 14
Dodges (+8 included): 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15 , 1d20+8: [16]+8 = 24 , 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15 , 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22 , 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Nanna Jo
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Nanna Jo »

Perception: 21% / 1d100: [20] = 20 (SUCCESS)
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [98] = 98
Conditions: +1 v HF, +4 v Toxins;
The Governor wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:30 pm When it was struck, the Hostess truck spun and turned over on its side, with the back end opened up it slung Twinkies all across the road. What really draws your attention is the police car. The front end is smashed pretty good but the cop has gotten the door open and is stumbling out somewhat dazed, likely saved by the airbag.
There's always time for Twinkies! Nanna thinks to herself as she crosses the intersection. She hasn't been in the country long, but one of the local delights she knew well was the Twinkie. It was like with Wagon Wheels back home, totally different to Twinkies, but the same in that one does not simply skip the chance to get some.

She hits the brakes and skids in a wide arc. This maneuver brings her out of the caravan's way as it passes her and she shortly comes to a halt.

Motorcycles & Snowmobiles 68%: 1d100: [47] = 47 (SUCCESS) <--fancy skidding to a halt for the sweet sweet goodies

"Good afternoon officer." she nods at the policeman curtly before reaching down the side of her bike. In a few seconds she grabs a few handfuls of Twinkies that are undamaged by Dylan's mad passage, gleefully shoving them in her jacket. You'd honestly be surprised just how many sugary treats the elderly can put away when they've a mind to.

"What a shocker of a day hey?"
The Governor wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:30 pm Before Dylan has the caravan through the intersection, the cop has gotten to his feet and is pulling his pistol but he doesn't take aim at the caravan. He's pointing the pistol into the back seat of his car about the time the cop lets off the first round...
"Crikey this bloke really hates backseat drivers!" she says to herself. She considers hitting the acceleration, but realises that leaving a copper in a wrecked car isn't her style. What's he shooting at? Not one of those infected nutters is it?

She approaches the officer, walking stick in one hand, the other outstretched offering assistance. She leaves the AK on her back. Can't waltz up to a hyper cop who just had an accident and is shooting up his passengers with an AK in hand. That's just not cricket!

"Hey mate, you hurt? Need a hand? Where's your partner?"

She checks the policeman and his car out.

If a flesh-eating denizen of hell attempts to eat the cop, Nanna will brain it.
If a cop tries to shoot her, Nanna will brain it.
If a zombie is trying to eat a cop, she will try to parry for him and save him.

Initiative: 1d20: [6] = 6
Action 1: Walking stick strike: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage: 2d4+14: [2, 2]+14 = 18
Action 2: Walking stick strike: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage: 2d4+14: [1, 2]+14 = 17
Action 3: Walking stick strike: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , Damage: 2d4+14: [3, 1]+14 = 18
Action 4: Walking stick strike: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage: 2d4+14: [1, 3]+14 = 18
Action 5: Reserved for Dodge 1d20+5: [4]+5 = 9
Parry rolls: 1d20+5: [16]+5 = 21 , 1d20+5: [5]+5 = 10 , 1d20+5: [12]+5 = 17 , 1d20+5: [16]+5 = 21 , 1d20+5: [10]+5 = 15

If the copper behaves himself, and the threats are dispatched ... or they need to run like hell... she'll raise her helmet visor and look the copper dead in the eye.

"Come with me if you want to live." Saw that on a movie once, always wanted to say that.

Charm 35%: 1d100: [3] = 3 (CRITICAL SUCCESS) <-- offer a helping hand, look trustworthy, be the mad elderly Aussie hero

She adds, "My name's Jo. Nanna Jo. You probably know better than me this city is stuffed, but stick with me and I'll get you out of here."
She looks him up and down for signs of injury, "You hurt? Your car took quite a knock there. Buggers everywhere not paying attention to the road rules. You should have seen this meathead tearing through the intersection in a truck! Didn't stop or nuthin."

First Aid 65%: 1d100: [78] = 78 (FAIL) <-- see if the copper is well enough to ride with her

If there is time, she glances at the wrecked car. "Better get your stuff quicksmart. You can double with me on my bike mate."

Nanna quickly helps the officer get whatever stuff he needs out of his wrecked car. Specifically, she want to take weapons and walkie-talkies, but will help with whatever the policeman suggests. Every car in the movies has a shotty in it. I could use a shotty!

Then she remounts her bike, hopefully with the policeman, and she hits the acceleration! The bike's squeal as she launches it in pursuit of the caravan and away from the crazed cop. The bike's superior acceleration hopefully catches up with the group soon enough. She does another wheelie as she goes. Because, well, because she can.

Motorcycles & Snowmobiles 68%: 1d100: [30] = 30 (SUCCESS) <-- Get outta here, and do a wheelie. Because she can.

OK then. Got my bike. Got the sweets. Got a gun nut in a truck. Got a plan.

During the ride, Nanna yells out of her helmet so the copper can hear. She lets him know where they're headed. "There's a group of us trying to evacuate the city. Came from the Saenger Theatre mate, bloody mess. Everyone getting attacked by lunatics that are so hurt they ought to be dead. A few of us managed to get out and are trying to get out of the city, we could use you with us mate. But if you prefer I can drop you off anywhere along here, or whenever we come across any of your copper friends. Fair enuf?"

If asked about the assault rifle on her back. "No worries there mate, I'm an Australian." As if that explains everything.
The Governor wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:30 pm Glancing in the rearview mirror, Dylan catches sight that a few cars have fallen in behind the caravan.

The caravan has gone about another mile down St. Claude when the crossbeams of a bridge can be spotted ahead. The way is fairly clear, with most of the traffic still heading north, though even that seems to have dropped off as this stretch of the road has turned more commercial. As the caravan crosses Poland Avenue, everyone hears the pop, pop, pop and those that look will see what appears to be a shoot out in the parking lot of the Dollar General on the north side of the street. Dylan sees that the people fleeing are carrying cases of bottled water.
What does it take to bring the Yanks back into the Wild West? Not much I suppose. Nanna's shocked face is hidden underneath her helmet as she takes in the chaotic scene before her. She looks to see what the caravan is doing will approach any that stop for a quick chat.
Last edited by Nanna Jo on Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Nanna Jo
"The cricket bat is mightier than the pen and the sword combined."

H.P.: 24/24
S.D.C.: 38/38
Armor Worn Leather Riding Suit (Padded)
  • A.R.: 12
  • S.D.C.: 35/35
User avatar
Brandon Rodgers
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:24 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Brandon Rodgers »

Perception: 15% d100: [59] = 59
JIC: d100: [39] = 39 , d20: [11] = 11

Brandon breathes a sigh of relief when they make it through the mess. After seeing what people are doing, he turns to Macher and says. "This is super weird. These people I guess think this is just some kind of riot. They are boarding up their stores and some are evacuating. I bet you I-10 is packed. You guys are smart to avoid it. I think the best thing we can do is get to a sparsely populated rural area. If we assume the Zombies are feral and driven by instinct they are going to find the most abundant source of food and gravitate towards it. I mean right now we mitigate risk, then once we get our berrings we can formulate a plan of action." I-10 is a Zombie All-You-Can-Eat Buffet at this point.
User avatar
Remy
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:23 am

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Remy »

Perception: d%: [82] = 82 | 53%
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 | d%: [80] = 80
Conditions: +1 vs HF, +1 vs psi/insanity
HP: 17/17
SDC:19/20


"Alexa, ask my Dash Cam to start recording," Remy dictates using precise, clipped annunciation, yet with wide-eyed astonishment as Dylan spearheads the caravan past him. Seeing his forward-facing and two side-facing secondary cams (that also catch the side mirrors looking rearward) activation lights turn on in response to the hands-free command, the PI scrambles to get his work van in gear and following Macher's SUV without getting cut off by any other vehicles who agree with the logic of the hasty maneuver.
The Governor wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:30 pmAs you reach the intersection proper, Dylan finds his line and stays on track with everyone else doing their best to follow along. Cutting through the spilled Twinkies, they explode like a mine field as the car smash them to paste, yellow cake and cream filling flying everywhere.
Well that's more than a little bit surreal... Remy thinks to himself as he tries to maintain tight formation within the caravan as they zip through the Twinkie cake-storm. His eyes glance to his dash cams, confirming their activation is still lit. And I have it on record for posterity's sake. Keeping his eyes affixed to the road and their surroundings, Remy doesn't allow himself much time for levity as the seriousness of their situation weighs heavily on his mind.
Nanna Jo wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:49 amShe hits the brakes and skids in a wide arc. This maneuver brings her out of the caravan's way as it passes her and she shortly comes to a halt.
What... is... she... doing?! Remy thinks as Nanna surprises the tail end of the caravan by coming to a stop. Not considering it a particularly wise move, he does not follow suit, instead remaining focused on the maneuvers required to stay on Macher's SUV tail.

With a bit more clear of a road ahead of them thanks to the traffic jam behind them, Remy allows himself a small sigh of relief. He continues to keep the dash cams recording and also paying attention to their surroundings.
The Governor wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:30 pmThe caravan has gone about another mile down St. Claude when the crossbeams of a bridge can be spotted ahead. The way is fairly clear, with most of the traffic still heading north, though even that seems to have dropped off as this stretch of the road has turned more commercial. As the caravan crosses Poland Avenue, everyone hears the pop, pop, pop and those that look will see what appears to be a shoot out in the parking lot of the Dollar General on the north side of the street. Dylan sees that the people fleeing are carrying cases of bottled water.
I'm glad the Google street-view matches reality. Hopefully once we cross this canal, the traffic will continue to lighten as we move away from the dense residential areas of the city. Remy thinks to himself. When the Dollar General gunfight sounds off, Remy checks that his doors are locked and stays on alert. He briefly considers arming himself, but then thinks better of it, concluding that his primary responsibility at this time is to drive and if the gunmen approach, he should be able to maneuver away before they can overtake his vehicle.

"C'mon Dylan, cross the bridge. Let's get on the other side of this canal!" the PI remarks aloud, his voice breaking the otherwise silence of his van. He keeps his hands on the wheel and hopes that they can make it past this bridge bottleneck without incident.


Initiative: 1d20: [3] = 3
APM: 4
Action 1: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [13]+3 = 16
Action 2: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [19]+3 = 22
Action 3: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [7]+3 = 10
Action 4: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11

Parries (if necessary): 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11 , 1d20+3: [15]+3 = 18 , 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4 , 1d20+3: [15]+3 = 18
User avatar
Macher
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:43 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Macher »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [65] = 65
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [39] = 39
Conditions: +5 v HF, +2 v Non-lethal Toxins, +4 v Lethal Toxins;
Automobile: 63%/ 1d100: [21] = 21
The Governor wrote: wrote: “the cop has gotten to his feet and is pulling his pistol but he doesn't take aim at the caravan. He's pointing the pistol into the back seat of his car about the time the cop lets off the first round, Dylan hops the curb and is threading the needle between the trees and poles lining the grass covered median. Tree branches scrape along the sides of the larger vehicles but Nana Jo, on her much smaller motorcycle, has no issues.”
AS if this can’t get weirder. Oh, and my poor truck. Blood I can wash off, but not deep scratches. Gonna have to see if they buff out when I have time. Looking at Brandon out of the corner of his eye. "With his driving you may have been safer on the bike."
The Governor wrote: wrote: “As the caravan crosses Poland Avenue, everyone hears the pop, pop, pop and those that look will see what appears to be a shoot out in the parking lot of the Dollar General on the north side of the street. Dylan sees that the people fleeing are carrying cases of bottled water.”
At the sound of gunfire Macher flinches a bit and searches for the source, hand going to his pistol. "F@$k! Doesn’t take long does it." The SUV slows as Macher lets off the gas a bit hesitating. Crap...crap. There could be innocents in there. But a lot of innocents are going to die in this and I need to focus on those I can save. The moment of hesitation ends with a shake of his head, a resigned sigh, and the SUV speeding up again. I hate this. I HATE this!
Nanna Jo wrote:[/quote wrote:”She hits the brakes and skids in a wide arc. This maneuver brings her out of the caravan's way as it passes her and she shortly comes to a halt.”
Macher swears again as he blows past Nanna Jo’s stopped bike. "What the hell is she thinking? Buddy, keep an eye on her in the mirror, I gotta watch ahead. If she isn’t moving again in a few seconds, or looks in trouble we are going back for her!” I may have chosen to the wrong innocents to protect. These are crazy.



In case of violence:
Initiative: 1d20+3: 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11


Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Draw Glock .40 S&W
Action 4: Strike: 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9 , Damage (4D6): 4d6: [1, 6, 4, 5] = 16
Action 5: Strike: 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24 , Damage (4D6): 4d6: [4, 5, 5, 4] = 18

Parries (+4 included): 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10 , 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11
User avatar
Brandon Rodgers
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:24 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Brandon Rodgers »

Rolls Carried Over
Macher wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:29 am AS if this can’t get weirder. Oh, and my poor truck. Blood I can wash off, but not deep scratches. Gonna have to see if they buff out when I have time. Looking at Brandon out of the corner of his eye. "With his driving you may have been safer on the bike."
"I get the urgency but fuck, we wreck, we get hurt, we get hurt, we slow down, we slow down and we become Zombie food." That dude is nuts!! But then again he might just think these are riots. He may not know what is at stake.
Macher wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:29 am At the sound of gunfire Macher flinches a bit and searches for the source, hand going to his pistol. "F@$k! Doesn’t take long does it." The SUV slows as Macher lets off the gas a bit hesitating.

Macher swears again as he blows past Nanna Jo’s stopped bike. "What the hell is she thinking? Buddy, keep an eye on her in the mirror, I gotta watch ahead. If she isn’t moving again in a few seconds, or looks in trouble we are going back for her!”
"Just stop we can always take off when she is back on the bike. We shouldn't have trouble catching up. If she needs help and we don't stop more ground to cover going back, which means more time and more time means she has more of chance to be overrun." She stopped to save someone. That is the first time we have done that. She is definitely the moral compass.



Action 1: To Strike: d20: [6] = 6 Damage: 4d6: [1, 2, 4, 1] = 8
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge
Action 3: To Strike: d20: [4] = 4 Damage: 4d6: [4, 5, 5, 3] = 17
Action 4: Reserved for Dodge
Action 5: To Strike: d20: [8] = 8 Damage: 4d6: [5, 2, 2, 1] = 10
Action 6: Reserved for Dodge
Dodge: 1d20+12: [12]+12 = 24 , 1d20+12: [6]+12 = 18 , 1d20+12: [7]+12 = 19 , 1d20+12: [19]+12 = 31 , 1d20+12: [9]+12 = 21 , 1d20+12: [5]+12 = 17
User avatar
Macher
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:43 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Macher »

(Rolls carry over)
Brandon Said: wrote: "Just stop we can always take off when she is back on the bike. We shouldn't have trouble catching up. If she needs help and we don't stop more ground to cover going back, which means more time and more time means she has more of chance to be overrun."
Macher glances in his mirrors and sees the panel van pull in behind them. Visions of the stereotype panel van, filled with dead bodies or kidnapped kids flash through his mind. And the line of cars that is joining their convoy.

“Do you know where we are going? Do you see the traffic lining up behind us? Her bike can weave through this faster than we can to catch up. We lose the lead vehicle and we are lost.” Hating himself more with every word. ”Unless she doesn’t get moving or we see trouble, we keep going.”
User avatar
The Governor
Dimension Master
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by The Governor »

Location: New Orleans, Louisiana - Outside The Saenger Theater and Hotel, N Rampart St.
Date: April 1st
Time: 3:30 pm (sunrise: 6:50am / sunset: 7:15pm)
Weather: cloudy, 90º
Notes
Caravan order: Dylan, Nana Jo, Macher, Remy


As the rest of the caravan heads east on St. Claude, Nana Jo expertly skids to a halt. As she calls out to the police officer, as she scoops up quite a few packages of Twinkies and dumps them down her jacket before zipping back up.
Nana Jo wrote:"Good afternoon officer." "What a shocker of a day hey?" "Hey mate, you hurt? Need a hand? Where's your partner?"


The cop's pistol clicks a few times as he continues to pull the trigger on the weapon he's emptied into the backseat of his car. Then he just stands there, pistol still pointed into the backseat of his car.

Out of the corner of her eyes, Nana Jo notices that after that scene, a few of the driver's have said 'screw this' and are starting to cut through the mess in the intersection.

The cop seems almost catatonic as Nana Jo peers into the backseat of the cop car, finding a mess. There's two bodies. One looks like he's had a bite taken out of his neck. The other has two bullet wounds in his chest and the better part of her head is missing.

When she turns back to the cop, he's lowered his pistol and seems to be muttering to himself. "The reports said... And she... started to eat him... and and" He's blinking rapidly as he tries to makes sense of what is happening.

Nana Jo glances into the front seat and sees that the laptop screen has been slammed forward and broken but the radio is still on. She hears a variety of clipped messages, "ALL UNITS REPORT IN. Units 4, 5 and 12 haven't reported from University Medical Center. Have lost contact with nine other units dispatched to Tulane, St. Bernard and East hospitals. Looting calls are coming in from all over the city. REPEAT, ALL UNITS REPORT IN. The National Guard is in route."

Nana Jo turns back to the police officer and says;
"Come with me if you want to live. My name's Jo. Nanna Jo. You probably know better than me this city is stuffed, but stick with me and I'll get you out of here. You hurt? Your car took quite a knock there. Buggers everywhere not paying attention to the road rules. You should have seen this meathead tearing through the intersection in a truck! Didn't stop or nuthin."
The officer looks at Nana Jo but doesn't seems to comprehend the words she's saying as he mutter, "My...my...my family." His eyes flick back and forth a few times and then he darts off to the northwest, pistol still in hand. Nana Jo can hear him say, "I've got to save my family." as he runs away from the scene of the accident and shooting.

Looking around, Nana Jo can see the confused faces of the people sitting in the car traffic around her, those that haven't started to jump curbs and swerve around the other cars at least. A few people have even gotten out and are starting to make their way over to the cop car. Nana Jo knows she'll never catch up to the caravan if she has to start answering questions, so she moves quick and slings a leg over her bike. Doing a tight spin turn she points her bike towards the caravan and zips off down the road, her jacket puffy with twinkies.

Down the road;

Dylan's made the call, at least to himself, this is the end of the modern world and he's explaining it to Lynn in a bit of a rant as they near the bridge.

Remy's driving is getting a little sloppy as he jerks the wheel a couple times to stay in his lane but he makes his way up to the number two spot in the caravan as Macher and Brandon start to fall behind.

Macher and Brandon go back and forth as to what exactly they need to do; Hang back to keep track of Nana Jo or keep up with the caravan since neither of then know where the caravan's destination is. They drop further and further behind the leaders as they wait for Nana Jo and eventually loose sight of bother parties, that is, until Nana Jo zips past Macher's Highlander, doing a wheelie on her motorcycle.

Macher kicks in gear and keeps pace with Nana Jo and both vehicles maneuver through traffic until they fall in behind Remy's van.

Glancing over at the Dollar General shoot out, the caravan sees a second group charge from the door carrying a massive amount of toilet paper and firing on the first group with the water, though no one seems to be hitting anything of importance. The stream of traffic heading over the bridge and west on St. Claude Avenue is pretty heavy, with no more that a few car lengths between each vehicle, most of the cars are turning north on Poland Ave.

Traffic heading east on St. Claude Avenue is still not bad. The road starts to elevate for the bridge and Dylan sees the three or four cars in front of him start to head over the bridge. Back near the tail end of the caravan, Nana Jo glances in her mirror and sees a couple cars that were behind the caravan turn off and up Poland Avenue, leaving only a couple of cars in sight within ten car lengths of the rear of the caravan.

The caravan will be on the bridge in the next few seconds. It has four lanes, headed two westerly and headed two easterly.


(GM note: Drivers, I need to know what lane you are in (inside lane or outside lane) and your speed. The posted speed limit is 35 mph.)
Butcher's Bill
Lynn: -4 sdc
Remy: -1 sdc
Tarka: -3 sdc
User avatar
Macher
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:43 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Macher »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [28] = 28
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [90] = 90
Conditions: +5 v HF, +2 v Non-lethal Toxins, +4 v Lethal Toxins;
Automobile: 63%/ 1d100: [52] = 52
The Governor wrote: wrote: as they wait for Nana Jo and eventually loose sight of bother parties, that is, until Nana Jo zips past Macher's Highlander, doing a wheelie on her motorcycle.

Nana Jo glances in her mirror and sees a couple cars that were behind the caravan turn off and up Poland Avenue,
Something doesn’t feel right. What do the cars turning off know we don’t? Macher’s “Caleb tingle” goes off. Mumbling to himself. ”Something doesn’t feel right.” Glancing at Brandon. ”I seem to be saying this a lot, but hold on.”

Macher’s convoy training had him straddling the center line when possible to block ‘fast movers’ from passing the convoy. He now puts on his hazards, pulls into the open lane, and guns it. When he is about 2 car lengths in front of Dylan’s truck he pulls back into their lane and taps his brakes, motioning out the window for Nanna Jo to come along-side him. Macher continues to slow, trying not to get so close to the bridge to prevent turning around.

Contingency:

If Nanna pulls along-side him: "I don’t like this. I think I read that most of the bridges in NOLA lift or turn for boat traffic. Want to recon to make sure the bridge is usable and clear?”

If Nanna Jo does not pull along-side, or Dylan passes him: Macher pulls back into the trail position following about a car length behind the van, matching speed speed of the convoy. If possible, he continues to straddle the center line to block trailing traffic. If not, he takes the same lane as the convoy.


In case of violence:
Initiative: 1d20+3: 1d20+3: [13]+3 = 16


Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Draw Glock .40 S&W
Action 4: Strike: 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , Damage (4D6): 4d6: [6, 3, 6, 5] = 20
Action 5: Strike: 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24 , Damage (4D6): 4d6: [4, 4, 4, 6] = 18

Parries (+4 included): 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14 , 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9 , 1d20+4: [1]+4 = 5 , 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8 , 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10
Dodges (+5 included): 1d20+5: [14]+5 = 19 , 1d20+5: [6]+5 = 11 , 1d20+5: [18]+5 = 23 , 1d20+5: [2]+5 = 7 , 1d20+5: [9]+5 = 14
User avatar
Dylan Sowell
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Dylan Sowell »

Perception: 46% / 1d100: [96] = 96
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [82] = 82
Conditions: +3 v HF, +1 v Toxins;
Automobile 66% / EP Crit, I'm not risking things this early on! Link

Fucking slow-poke motherfuckers gonna get us all killed with their suburban, milquetoast, basic ass expectations about reality. Seeing the cars proceeding at a reasonably constant rate, but not trusting to such, and further noting the typical gaps and walkway on the outside, Dylan gauges the angle of approach necessary, and aims for the sidewalk side to get his truck a neat 30-45 degree tilt to enable him to bypass the motorists. He yells to both Lynn and Josh in the back, "Hang on tight!" He'll take whichever lane is least occupied, and maintain about a 40 mph speed.

Contingency: If the above seems impossible, Dylan will grumble, pat his M-16 for reassurance, and fall into the outgoing traffic line.

Initiative: 1d20: [9] = 9
All actions reserved for driving & dodging threats.

Parries (+7 included): 1d20+7: [2]+7 = 9 , 1d20+7: [13]+7 = 20 , 1d20+7: [3]+7 = 10 , 1d20+7: [8]+7 = 15 , 1d20+7: [11]+7 = 18 , 1d20+7: [10]+7 = 17
Dodges (+8 included): 1d20+8: [15]+8 = 23 , 1d20+8: [12]+8 = 20 , 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27 , 1d20+8: [3]+8 = 11 , 1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18 , 1d20+8: [4]+8 = 12
My Linktree Page
Dylan Sowell
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
To help support this site, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
User avatar
Remy
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:23 am

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Remy »

Perception: d%: [1] = 1 | 53%
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 | d%: [25] = 25
Conditions: +1 vs HF, +1 vs psi/insanity
HP: 17/17
SDC:19/20


Okay... here we go... Remy muses tentatively as the bridge looms large ahead of them. He frowns slightly at the prospect of getting stuck on this side of the canal.

"Reckon these fellas coming westbound at us and heading northbound on Poland are looking for a fast way to the interstate. Not sure they are going to be satisfied with what they bargained for. Won't take much for the interstate highways to jam up and turn into a massive parking lot. Zombie buffet." Remy narrates to his dash cam, not quite remembering whether an audio recording accompanies the video. Unless they are fleeing trouble on the east side of the canal.. Remy squints hard to assess the vehicles as the doom-filled thought intrudes upon his mind. "If they are running from trouble, figure they'd be a bit more aggressive in their drive-.... the hell?!"

The PI's narration is cut short by both Macher and Dylan's sudden desire to maneuver relative to the steady pace their caravan had previously adopted.

Gently pressing on the brakes, he slows his van and allows the two young bloods to alpha dog their way into a decision on how best to cross the bridge.
The Governor wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:43 pm (GM note: Drivers, I need to know what lane you are in (inside lane or outside lane) and your speed. The posted speed limit is 35 mph.)
Remy's initial intention was to cross the bridge on the outside lane (to minimize the chance of colliding with oncoming traffic deciding to drive the wrong way) at the prescribed speed limit (35 mph) or general rate of traffic. However, with Macher and Dylan's maneuvering, Remy will cede initiative to them and only take his desired path and speed if it is not suddenly occluded by the spontaneous actions of the others in his caravan.

Automobile. d%: [7] = 7 | 73% <== Shouldn't need it, because he isn't trying to perform any fancy maneuvers... but just in case.


Initiative: 1d20: [20] = 20
APM: 4
Action 1: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [13]+3 = 16
Action 2: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [6]+3 = 9
Action 3: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [19]+3 = 22
Action 4: Dodge if necessary. 1d20+3: [7]+3 = 10

Parries (if necessary): 1d20+3: [4]+3 = 7 , 1d20+3: [12]+3 = 15 , 1d20+3: [15]+3 = 18 , 1d20+3: [17]+3 = 20
User avatar
Brandon Rodgers
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:24 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Brandon Rodgers »

Perception: 15% d100: [20] = 20
JIC: d20: [18] = 18 , d100: [84] = 84
Macher wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:53 am
Something doesn’t feel right. What do the cars turning off know we don’t? Macher’s “Caleb tingle” goes off. Mumbling to himself. ”Something doesn’t feel right.” Glancing at Brandon. ”I seem to be saying this a lot, but hold on.”
“I have no idea where we are or where we are going. So no insight from me. But I always say your gut is the best guide you got.” We are going to need to regroup and see if there are refuges being established.

Brandon holds on to the “oh shit” handle as Macher maneuvers.
User avatar
Lynn Jacobs
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Episode 1: What just happened?

Post by Lynn Jacobs »

Perception: 1d100: [81] = 81 / 31%
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [7] = 7
Conditions: +1 save vs HF
SDC: 16/20
HP: 19/19
Skills:
Land Navigation: 1d100: [97] = 97 / 61%
Invoke Trust: 1d100: [8] = 8 / 25%

St. Claude Bridge

Lynn silently takes in Dylan’s lecture and at the end of it all, she sighs and tries again to calm him down. “I know it looks bad, but try to keep a cool head. I’m a veterinarian and I probably shouldn’t be patching up people.” She winces at the grim scenes they pass by, turning her eyes to Tarka. Everyone has lost their minds, she silently tells her dog. With the bridge looming in the near distance, Lynn tells Dylan, “You’re still going the right way…”
Dylan Sowell wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:39 am...aims for the sidewalk side to get his truck a neat 30-45 degree tilt to enable him to bypass the motorists. He yells to both Lynn and Josh in the back, "Hang on tight!"
“Please be reasonable!” Lynn braces for what is sure to be a bumpy ride. She hangs on to both the “oh shit” handle and Tarka with all the strength she can muster.

If there’s trouble, Lynn will be sure to keep the truck's passenger window rolled up and the door locked. If needs be, she'll dodge the best she can in her seat.
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20: [8] = 8
1. Dodge: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18
2. Dodge: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6
3. Dodge: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18
4. Dodge: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14
Parries (if needed): 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 , 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , and 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22
Lynn Jacobs
“We'd stared into the face of Death, and Death blinked first. You'd think that would make us feel brave and invincible. It didn't.” - Rick Yancey, The 5th Wave
Post Reply

Return to “Civilization Gone”