Of all things Strange and Wild

BTS2 Adventure Forum

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

((Rolls held over))

Claudia's eyes briefly shift to her uncle as if to ask permission from Ari to answer Theo's questions. However, she doesn't wait for her uncle's response. Instead, she turns her attention back to Theo and offers him a small nod to let him know that questions are welcome.
Theo wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:33 pm"Was the sadness and loneliness you felt by the lake the kind you would feel if you lost something something important to you and couldn't find it, or was it like you would feel if you were lost and you feel like no one is looking for you?"
Claudia takes in the question and allows it to swirl around in her brain. "Lost...?" She looks to the floor. Sometimes I feel lost without Mama or Papa... "Lonely...it misses someone. And angry...? It felt hurt...something tricked it?" Claudia isn't sure how to put the emotions into words. "So angry that it wants to hurt something...someone?" She looks up again, hoping the adults understand.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Roll Held Over
Claudia wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:05 pm Claudia's eyes briefly shift to her uncle as if to ask permission from Ari to answer Theo's questions. However, she doesn't wait for her uncle's response. Instead, she turns her attention back to Theo and offers him a small nod to let him know that questions are welcome.
Theo wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:33 pm"Was the sadness and loneliness you felt by the lake the kind you would feel if you lost something something important to you and couldn't find it, or was it like you would feel if you were lost and you feel like no one is looking for you?"
Claudia takes in the question and allows it to swirl around in her brain. "Lost...?" She looks to the floor. Sometimes I feel lost without Mama or Papa... "Lonely...it misses someone. And angry...? It felt hurt...something tricked it?" Claudia isn't sure how to put the emotions into words. "So angry that it wants to hurt something...someone?" She looks up again, hoping the adults understand.
He looks at Claudia, "Thank you Claudia, that is incredibly helpful. There is the connection. Something about these men reminds this . . . 'entity?' . . . of someone who betrayed them. Maybe someone they loved that turned on them maybe hurting them and now they are trying to get to place before they were hurt. Or maybe these men represent someone who betrayed them by sending away or killing someone they loved making them feel alone. So the murders could be punishment for leaving them, or for taking away someone they loved from them. Maybe there is something in the town newspaper's archive that chronicles some sort of Shakespearean tragedy surrounding the lake that lead to this entity taking residence. A good friend of mine use to tell stories like this, and if I am being honest I thought he was just a sucker for superstition. He was born in West Virginia and he used to say that in the "holler" he grew up in there were many stories of people who died suddenly with unfinished business or by suicide that had so much pain in their life that it formed into a negative energy that was fueled by hate, or was twisted by demonic forces if you are of the religious sort. But I saw things overseas that made me question my own skepticism in these regards. Still don't believe in God, but I do firmly believe in evil, and if there is anyway that an evil human can continue to spread hate after death they will find a way."
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Callum »

Precp 43%: 1d100: [9] = 9
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 1d100: [58] = 58

Conditions:
ISP: 22/22

Callum looks at the articles for a while, "That is a lot of men in under a year. And two of them are brothers. I don't see any connection with the dates but I think maybe we should put them on a calendar and see if something lines up. Maybe something with the moon phases? I don't know, this case seems to just be going over my head. Hell, we don't even know if this anger in the lake is the cause. It could be that the shadows Claudia saw like to give a good push every now and then."

Callum flops down into a chair and looks exasperated, "I guess we need to go back to Glen Jean and look around some more at the lake and research these men to see if there was some kind of connection between them all."

Callum gives a deep sigh and rest his hand across is brow, with his index finger and thumb on this temples. What have we gotten ourselves into. This is no case about wolves that turns out to be a creature. This is an angry lake and shadows? I don't think Im going to be able to punch my way outta this one.
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 49% / 1d100: [69] = 69
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 1d100: [73] = 73
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [91] = 91
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [33] = 33
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location:
Current Investigation: The drowning death of Mr. Gipsum, late of Glen Jean, West Virginia.
John Taggert / May 15th / 38 years / found drowned in AM by fishermen in a reedy area
Robert Packerd / July 18th / 25 years / found drowned on lakeshore by hikers
Charles Maynard / August 6th / 56 years / found drowned on lakeshore by fishermen (dead a few days)
Joseph Maynard / August 10th / 57 years / found drowned on lakeshore near where Charles was found
Donald Jefferies / October 19th / 37 years / found drowned under the dock
Richard Mackley / October 19th / 45 years / found drowned under the dock
Edward Tackland / November 7th / 70 years / found exposed/drowned on lakeshore
Michael Gypsum / March 4th / 34 years / found drowned/frozen in thin ice
Police safety warnings ineffective.

Zach wrote:"The kid here has a knack for findings things the rest of us don't always see. I'll take her word for it if something seems a bit off there, even shadows and strange things in lakes."
Aurelio nods along in agreement. Indeed, she's quite special. I wonder why my brother never mentioned any of this?
Claudia wrote:“It was dark. It didn’t talk to me, but I could feel it. It was sad and lonely. Maybe it wanted a friend? The shadows didn’t talk either. They only moved. I saw one on the dock, by Mr. Kevin. I saw others by the trees. And something was angry. Maybe it was mad that I tried to talk…it knew I was there.”
Aurelio rubs her back comfortingly. "Perhaps the shadows are the spirits of those departed? Perhaps Kevin was close to one, and that's why one stayed near him?"
Theo wrote:"We can assume as adult males that grew up in these parts, they were aware of the lake, and knew how to swim. Most people that don't know how to swim, stay away from lakes, at the very least the water. Statistically this many men accidentally drowning in the same lake in a year is highly improbable."
Aurelio nods vigorously thinking this to be solid reasoning.
Claudia wrote:"Lost...lonely...it misses someone...angry...feels hurt...something tricked it? So angry that it wants to hurt something...someone?"
Sounds like the vengeful spirit of a woman who got a raw deal.
Callum wrote:"That is a lot of men in under a year. And two of them are brothers. I don't see any connection with the dates but I think maybe we should put them on a calendar and see if something lines up. Maybe something with the moon phases? I don't know, this case seems to just be going over my head. Hell, we don't even know if this anger in the lake is the cause. It could be that the shadows Claudia saw like to give a good push every now and then. I guess we need to go back to Glen Jean and look around some more at the lake and research these men to see if there was some kind of connection between them all."
"Indeed. I believe the coffee's finito and we're about out of use to be gained here. We've time enough for another trip. I'd like to speak to the widow Gypsum. It would also be helpful to rule out any other connections these men may have had. Were they friends? Did they attend the same church? Work at the same place? Share some hobby? Perhaps the police would be okay with sharing what they collected with a detective?" He adds this last suggestively given the occupations of the men of the group.
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlatch Manor, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: March 18th, 1925. 3:10 PM (20 minutes has passed since last post)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural (Claudia is at x3)
The group discusses what they have found after reading through the articles and obituaries. Zachary gets clarification that there was no voice, just a feeling from the lake. Theo tries to make heads or tails of the situation, by using logic that would work if the perpetrator was a person or persons, but factoring in the supernatural incident, it throws several wrenches into the works. Claudia tries her best to answer questions, but given her unique issues, she has a limited ability to do so.

Theo makes a rational leap in logic, and considers the newspaper, but finds that none of the articles are from a local paper, but a county one, from a town forty or so miles north of Prosperity. Callum adds to the discourse, suggesting looking at the dates on the calendar, but when that is done, nothing comes of it in terms of patterns or points of interest. Aurelio adds a bit more to the conversation, which given the subject certainly isn’t the craziest theory about the shadowy thing Claudia saw following the man named Kevin around. Aurelio suggests going back to Glen Jean to ask around from various points of interest. One thing the group knows is that Mike Gypsum has a widow, and she resides somewhere in Glen Jean.

What Are Your Intentions?

Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 51/47
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48



Let me know clearly where you are heading to in Glen Jean, if you need ideas, please feel free to PM me. ~Consumer
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception: 25% / 1d100: [38] = 38
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 1d100: [16] = 16

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural.+ 1v Magic/Horror Factor, +3 Psionics.
Theo contemplates for a moment. "My gut tells me these men shared something like history or temperament that led to their demise. On the force, I had the authority to get whatever info I needed to confirm or deny those instinctual assertions. Now I find myself needing to apply more finesse than force. Zachary and I will go to the police station in the morning and see if we can convince them to let us look at the case records, or share information about the men, like criminal record and the such. The rest of the group can go talk to the widow Gypsum. If we are able to find a common thread that would be our best chance at understanding how these deaths are linked besides method and the short time in which all of them occurred. Maybe then we will know how to stop more drownings from occurring." The obvious question. What do we do when we find the link. "I am going for a run. before dinner."

Theo goes to his room and changes into his calisthenics clothing. He exits the house to begin his jog. He will pop into the Diner, to see if Carl is there. If there, he asks to speak a moment. "Carl, I wanted to ask you about this case we are looking into. There is this thing that only Claudia can see that is hurting people. I am afraid it could hurt her as we get closer to dealing with it. Her "gift" is remarkable, but I feel helpless. How do we protect her from something I can't see. Do you know of anything that can help us help her? If nothing specific can you point me in a direction to find out that information?"
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [39] = 39 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [72] = 72
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [11] = 11
Conditions: Closed to the supernatural
Theo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:57 am "Zachary and I will go to the police station in the morning and see if we can convince them to let us look at the case records, or share information about the men, like criminal record and the such. The rest of the group can go talk to the widow Gypsum. If we are able to find a common thread that would be our best chance at understanding how these deaths are linked besides method and the short time in which all of them occurred. Maybe then we will know how to stop more drownings from occurring."
Zachary nods in agreement. "Sounds like a plan. Folks back at the agency always said I could charm a person about as well as you could cut down a tree with a herring, so I'll probably be more useful sifting through records." he says with a small chuckle. Hoping to find some paper and something to write with, Zachary jots down the names of the victims and the dates of their death and puts his notes back into his coat pocket.

"I dunno what these shadows could be, but trouble is trouble." mentions Zachary, "Might want to pack a flashlight in case they're not as friendly as we think they are."

As Theo leaves for his jog and the others retire for the night, Zachary tries to think of a strategy for convincing the police to let them view the records. Someone mentioned that the coppers won't just let us pass. We've both got the background. Maybe we can find common ground somewhere. Otherwise, maybe just come out and say we're working on a case? Concerned citizens? Good samaritans? Zachary frowns as an unwelcome memory surfaces. Just gotta remember this time not to try using bribes. Nearly got me thrown into the slammer that one time. I'll talk about it with Theo when we head out in the morning.
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Callum »

Precp 43%: 1d100: [2] = 2
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 1d100: [26] = 26

Conditions:
Closed to the Supernatural
ISP: 22/22

Callum looks around at the group, "Yeah, lets save the drive for in the morning. If we left now it would be around supper time for most by the time we got there. Best we start fresh in the morning. Maybe after we check in on the widow Gypsum and you two check the police files, we can head back over to the lake. We might know more by then." Callum shrugs. Though I'm not sure if knowing more would be a good thing at this point.

Callum smiles as Claudia and asks the girl, "Do you want to try and talk to the lake again? Maybe it won't be so surprised by you again." He doesn't really know how any of this works and feels foolish when he asks this of Claudia. My abilities all are a part of me and what I... bah.

Callum gives his head a little shake and then turns to Ari, "Of course if you say no, then we'll figure this out some other way."
Last edited by Callum on Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 49% / 1d100: [2] = 2 CRIT!
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 1d100: [94] = 94
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [50] = 50
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [18] = 18
Streetwise: Weird 55% / 1d100: [29] = 29 & Lore: Religion 60% / 1d100: [29] = 29
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location:
Current Investigation: The drowning death of Mr. Gipsum, late of Glen Jean, West Virginia.
John Taggert / May 15th / 38 years / found drowned in AM by fishermen in a reedy area
Robert Packerd / July 18th / 25 years / found drowned on lakeshore by hikers
Charles Maynard / August 6th / 56 years / found drowned on lakeshore by fishermen (dead a few days)
Joseph Maynard / August 10th / 57 years / found drowned on lakeshore near where Charles was found
Donald Jefferies / October 19th / 37 years / found drowned under the dock
Richard Mackley / October 19th / 45 years / found drowned under the dock
Edward Tackland / November 7th / 70 years / found exposed/drowned on lakeshore
Michael Gypsum / March 4th / 34 years / found drowned/frozen in thin ice
Police safety warnings ineffective.


"Excuse me, but I think I need some time to think," Aurelio says. He tousles Claudia's hair affectionately before stepping outside for fresh air. Aurelio enjoys coffee, cigarettes, and some quiet time reflecting on everything. He deeply considers the possible connections between known facts, reported details, and any possible overlap with the lore of the streets and of the church (see skill checks above) as he recollects the details found in the news clippings, and shared about the men between the group members. Do any of the group's theories seem likely? Plausible? Is there some relevant detail they're been made aware of which they're now overlooking? Aurelio racks his brain, similarly frustrated like the others. I'm not a smart man, but I remember well. I like to think I'm alert, listen, pay attention, and do the work. If I just think on this a good while, I should be able to make the tapioca between my ears firm up and provide something if I just put in the effort.

Contingency: If the group is attacked by anything, Aurelio will push himself into harm's way to protect the others. His protective priority will always be to protect Claudia, then the other guys.

Initiative (+1 included): 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9
All actions reserved for defense.

Parries: 1d20+6: [10]+6 = 16 , 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 , 1d20+6: [2]+6 = 8 , 1d20+6: [6]+6 = 12 , 1d20+6: [19]+6 = 25
Auto-Dodge: 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3


Italian-Engligh Translation: xxxx
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [74] = 74 / 33%
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [1] = 1
Current I.S.P.: 44
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Impervious to Hypnotic Suggestion, Mind Controlling Drugs and most forms of Mind Control (including magic)
Skills:

Whitlach Manor

As everyone discusses the situation at Glen Jean, Claudia watches them all. The people who died were men, she reminds herself. When Aurelio ruffles her hair before stepping out to think in fresh air, Claudia offers him a small smile, but when he’s gone, her demeanor changes completely. They’re all worried about me, but maybe I’m not the one in danger.
Callum wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:57 pmCallum smiles as Claudia and asks the girl, "Do you want to try and talk to the lake again? Maybe it won't be so surprised by you again."
Claudia replies with a nod. Maybe if I can be friends with the lake, it won’t hurt the others. Even as she thinks it, she’s not totally convinced that lake is what has killed the men at Glen Jean.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlatch Manor, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: March 19th, 1925. 7:00 PM
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural (Claudia is at x3)
The group finishes their discussion on what may be a cause, or at least a correlation to the deaths, before deciding to wait till morning to make their way back to Glen Jean.

Theo goes for a run and eventually ends up at Carl’s diner, where he does find Carl manning his usual post as his staff deal with the few customers there are.
Theo wrote:"Carl, I wanted to ask you about this case we are looking into. There is this thing that only Claudia can see that is hurting people. I am afraid it could hurt her as we get closer to dealing with it. Her "gift" is remarkable, but I feel helpless. How do we protect her from something I can't see. Do you know of anything that can help us help her? If nothing specific can you point me in a direction to find out that information?"
Carl shrugs. ”Sounds like quite a pickle. Besides someone else who has a gift, no, I don’t know of anything that could help you. Though to be fair that girl is stronger than you know. In the vein of advice giving, maybe stop looking at the problem as something that can be fought, and look at more like a puzzle to be solved. Not sure if that will help, but it certainly can’t hurt to maybe change perspectives.” Carl says.

Zachary for his part sits down to do some real thinking. In the end, there are three very likely scenarios that will happen approaching the local authorities in Glen Jean. One is the possibility that it’s company security that runs the law in the area, and from what Zachary knows of Barrow & Locke, they don’t play nice with outsiders. The Second is that the town doesn’t have its own police force, and relies on county sherrifs to police the area, which means one would have to go to the main city of the county, which is not Glen Jean. The third is if fate smiles on the group, and there are police in the town, it’s likely they’ll talk if he plays nice and says he’s investigating for some third party.

Callum for the most part just talks with the others.

Aurelio takes a seat on the upper balcony, as there is no porch to speak of. Sipping coffee and smoking a cigarette or two, Aurelio thinks on the situation, and really only comes up with one logical note. This ghost, which is what it seems to be by all that Aurelio knows about them, is killing men in some manner of anger, but it doesn’t seem to target all men, so something about the men who died is a key that makes the ghost drown them. If Aurelio had to truly guess, it’s likely that none of the men were particularly good.

Claudia wanders the house, she considers the issue, and weighs the worries of her uncle and companions. A considers the thought of befriending whatever is in the lake.

The evening is dull and uneventful, a dinner is made from stocks in the manor, and the night fully sets in Prosperity.
For bonus XP write a dream. Next post will start at 7 AM. ~Consumer.

What Are Your Intentions?

Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 51/47
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception 25%: d100: [69] = 69
JIC: d20: [13] = 13 , d100: [11] = 11
Consumer wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:26 pm Carl shrugs. ”Sounds like quite a pickle. Besides someone else who has a gift, no, I don’t know of anything that could help you. Though to be fair that girl is stronger than you know. In the vein of advice giving, maybe stop looking at the problem as something that can be fought, and look at more like a puzzle to be solved. Not sure if that will help, but it certainly can’t hurt to maybe change perspectives.” Carl says.
"Thank you Carl, I will take that under advisement." Theo ponders his words for the rest of the day. A puzzle and not a fight. Man I wish it was a fight. I am much better at fights than puzzles. Imean investigations aren't puzzles really. It is uncovering history of an event that occured. Puzzles are about finding patterns and using those patterns to unlock what is hidden. And to me all of this is hidden. Theses drownings have a pattern, it has to be there. Commonalities that we just can't see yet. I want to discern a motive, a cause, but my mind can't exclude the fact that a belief in a motive or cause may just be trying to fill a desire in myself and not reflecting the truth of the situation. That things just happen sometimes. Man has always demanded there be some kind of order to the universe. What if it is just chaos. Events just happening as the earth and its inhabitants are hurled through space.
Claudia saw something, I have no doubt. But what if what she saw was the chaos that truly rules our lives. What if what she saw was the truth and she is able to experience in a way we can't? What if what we call Supernatural is just seeing the nature of the world that we with our average lives refuse to accept because we demand order? The war taught me that human life is a commodity that only has a value that we give it, despite all our claims to the contrary. Theo.....stop. This isn't helping the situation. You need to concentrate on the puzzle like Carl said. But tomorrow. Tonight we sleep.


That night Theo was restless. He begins to dream. The nightmare that occasionally haunted him returns, but this time it was different.
_____________________________________________________________________________

Theo enters the room with four of his men. The room is empty except for a lone prisoner hanging from the ceiling with chained shackles around his wrists. He is hanging over the symbol. Below him the dead body of another soldier.

Theo told his men "Cut the prisoner down. Find out if he is one of ours. Tend to him see if he is alive and/or saveable." One of his other men calls for him to come outside. They have found a German survivor. Theo leaves to interrogate him. Gunshots ring out. He runs back into the room. There he witnesses his men wounded dying on the floor with slashed throats and gut wounds, he looks up to see the suspected prisoner holding a bayonet, riddled with bullet holes but seemingly uninjured. Theo quickly draws his Bowie knife and the man lunges at him. He buries his blade hilt deep in the man's chest and the prisoner's knife held at bay quicker than many could imagine. The giant knife in his chest does nothing to this man. He is still insanely strong. Theo kicks him back with frontal kick, bullets and a giant blade did nothing. Theo noticed his jet black eyes staring at him full of hatred. He lunges at Theo again. No head no attack, he thought. This time he dodges the strange man and thinking quickly slashes with his Bowie knife down across the prisoner's neck with an almost preternatural strength, and he severs the head from the body in one fell slash. The body crumples to the ground as the head fell to the floor and rolled landing facing Theo. The head speaks a tongue he didn’t understand but still seemed to be alive.

He approaches the head, and just before the put his revolver to the head, the eyes followed Theo, the head speaking german said in an otherworldly voice, "As above so below."

Enthralled, he hesitates for a moment and then pulls the trigger. The head explodes and is shot backwards thudding against the wall.. Theo quickly shakes out of his distraction, he surveys the area and that is when he normally in the dream sees Sam Thurgood. But this time it isn't Sam, it is Claudia.

Theo rushes to her side falling to his knees he lifted up Claudia, "Claudia, no." He said as tears welted up. "Hang in there. Aurelio!!!."

Claudia looked up, warmly smiles and says, "You gotta be careful Theo. That was Blood Magic. Nothing more dangerous than Blood Magic." and at that moment his friend goes silent eyes looking past him and he sighed one last breath.


___________________________________________________________________________________________

Theo Bolts up in bed screaming and flailing, until he realizes he is not in the bunker any more. Blood Magic! What if they are sacrifices? Like in the bunker, or in Richmond. Maybe they are trying to bring something forth. He grabs his watch and sees it is 4 AM. He gets up and puts on his exercise clothes and goes for a run to clear his head. I will think about this dream further while I run, and will mention it at breakfast . . .or maybe not. It sounds crazy....but all of this sounds crazy.
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 49% / 1d100: [20] = 20
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 1d100: [10] = 10
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [13] = 13
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [50] = 50
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location:
Current Investigation: The drowning death of Mr. Gipsum, late of Glen Jean, West Virginia.
John Taggert / May 15th / 38 years / found drowned in AM by fishermen in a reedy area
Robert Packerd / July 18th / 25 years / found drowned on lakeshore by hikers
Charles Maynard / August 6th / 56 years / found drowned on lakeshore by fishermen (dead a few days)
Joseph Maynard / August 10th / 57 years / found drowned on lakeshore near where Charles was found
Donald Jefferies / October 19th / 37 years / found drowned under the dock
Richard Mackley / October 19th / 45 years / found drowned under the dock
Edward Tackland / November 7th / 70 years / found exposed/drowned on lakeshore
Michael Gypsum / March 4th / 34 years / found drowned/frozen in thin ice
Police safety warnings ineffective.

The announcer could barely be heard over the din of the sweaty men laughing, arguing, and most of all calling out bets to those offering odds in the crowd. The beams of light bearing down from the structural beams above were hazy with smoke from the tobacco being enjoyed inside the warehouse. The floor had been cleared, and a ring hastily erected just the day prior. After tonight, it would be torn down so the workers could get back to filling the warehouse with its routine traffic. The smell of fish still clung to the place like an obnoxious drunk who can't tell when he's no longer welcome at the party.

The man across from him was every bit of two hundred and fifty pounds (the same as Ari), but a head shorter and with even broader shoulders than Ari. He was built like a bull, and his sweaty, broad-nosed polish face and bushy beard & mustache almost made him resemble the animal. He was in Brescia, at his first big fight. Moments later, he could see his fists pounding the other man's thick, rubbery guts with rapid, vicious blows that shook the man's whole girth. The big man stepped into the punishment and managed to connect with Ari's ear near his jawline. A flash of white light. A heavyset Englishman in a striped shirt was holding up fingers in front of his face. Ari struggles to his feet. The haze remains, but the lights are massive, numerous, brilliant, and there are scores of them. The black man's back was to him pumping-up the crowd. The black man turns around as Ari gets to his feet. It's Jack Johnson. Ari had landed one blow to man's dozens. He's pretty sure he broke one of Johnson's ribs with that hit. The black man was easily fifty pounds lighter than Ari, and nowhere near as strong, but he was deliriously fast and skillful. Ari was a mess. His face was a swollen pulp, and his body ached in pain. Johnson looked like he'd been doing calisthenics or just returned from an invigorating run. Ari was outclassed, and he knew it. Johnson was smarter than him. That's how he knew what Ari would try to do even before Ari did it. When Ari's big fist sailed through the air at incredible speed it didn't matter because Johnson had already stepped aside.

Ari blinked away the slightly red-tinted sweat. It was the monstrous demon-wolf-thing from the Manor. The thing that had nearly killed them all. It was terrifying, but Aurelio could feel the warm arms of the loving God patting him on the back, hear the sweet words of the warrior of Nazareth assuring him that death would only be a transition to his great reward for being a true disciple of the one, true God. But it wasn't about him. He had faith in the truth of what Jesus told him. He had never doubted his faith since these troubles in Prosperity had found him. It was something of a blessing as the challenge of helping raise Claudia and the circumstances leading up to that had tested his faith greatly. No, it wasn't about him. He was insignificant, just a dumb brute trying to keep his damaged niece warm, fed, and healing so she could have a real life. He roared with righteous fury and felt the divine spark within him flare into the consuming brilliance of the sun. It seared away the demon in front of him--or was that Jack?--or was that the Pollack?--or was the the Hungarian in Meinz?--and seared himself away, and all he could see was Claudia, huddled in the corner behind Virginia, safe as he burned himself out to safeguard their lives. He was a blazing inferno of holy light. A channel for God's wrath; a simple man, a simple tool to level a blow against Lucifer's usurpations.


Aurelio rouses from his slumber. He looks over and sees Claudia sleeping peacefully. Whatever must be done, must be done, he thinks to himself watching her sleep. He looks at her face. There was very little of his brother or himself in that face. She looked very much more like her mother in Aurelio's estimation. Though her tenacity was every bit a characteristic of his family.
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Callum »

Precp 43%: 1d100: [53] = 53
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 1d100: [33] = 33

Conditions:
Closed to the Supernatural
ISP: 22/22

Callum takes in Claudia's nod about talking to the lake again and says, "We'll give it a try again tomorrow. Just promise to be safe about it."

Callum sleeps but his mind is still at work when unconsciousness envelopes him. It just thoughts at first, not one of his frequent nightmares about the trenches back during the war. No, this one starts with names scrolling through his head;

The words appear like lit newsprint floating through the darkness of his mind:

John Taggert, May 15th 1924, age 38, male, found by early morning fishermen floating in a reedy area. Cause of death: drowning.
Robert Packerd, July 18th 1924, age 25, male, found washed up on the shore of the lake by hikers. Cause of death: Drowning.
Charles Maynard, August 6th, 1924, age 56, male, found on the shore by fishermen, likely had been dead a few days. Cause of death: Drowning.
Joseph Maynard, August 10th, 1924, age 57, male, found near the site of his brother’s death. Cause of death: Drowning.
Donald Jefferies, October 19th 1924, age 37, male, found under the dock. Cause of death: Drowning.
Richard Mackley, October 19th 1924, age 45, male, found under the dock. Cause of death: Drowning.
Edward Tackland, November 7th, 1924, age 70, found half submerged on the shore. Cause of death: Either Exposure or Drowning.
Michael Gypsum, March 4th, 1925, age 34, found half frozen in thin ice. Cause of Death: Drowning.

The words continue and repeat. Unwanted information he can't get rid of and can't let go. Callum finds that his thoughts have a voice, There has to be a pattern. A reason. Eight dead in nine months. Two brothers. All men but no set age.

The names and information scroll again and again as his mind forces him to try and solve a puzzle he only has some of the pieces of.

At one point in the night, Callum sits bolt upright in his bed but doesn't really wake. When he leans back again, his mind switch gears.

He's looking in through a window and sees a woman tied to a table with a man praying over her, knife in hand, his prey is caught and her reward is at hand.

Callum screams, "No, No, No" as the knife descends.


Callum wakes to find that the morning has arrived. The echo of the word "No" still ringing in the room. He furrows his brows as he says to himself, "That's not how it happened. First I took out the thug that pulled a gun on me. Then I kicked the door off its hinges and right into the guy with the knife." He gives his head a shake and climbs out of bed slowly as the dream starts to fade from his thoughts.

Getting dressed, Callum makes his way down to the kitchen and pours himself a glass of milk as he watches the growing light in the kitchen window and waits for any of the others to wake up.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [85] = 85 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [55] = 55
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [19] = 19
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary makes a deep sigh as he considers those three possibilities. "We're going to need to be ready for anything, aren't we?" the detective mutters quietly to himself. Noticing Theo is gone, Zachary quietly takes his leave and goes to the trophy room upstairs. Finding the old dark suit of armor, Zachary struggles to move the antique to the center of the room. Checking to make sure nobody is within earshot, Zachary closes the door slightly to be sure.

Afterwards, Zachary turns to the suit of armor. "Hey there boys in blue!" Zachary exclaims cheerfully. The armor does not respond. That will most certainly not work, Zachary thinks to himself as he takes his starting place back near the door. Approaching the armor again, Zachary outstretches his hand to the lifeless armor. "How's the weather i- out there?" the armor does not respond. Biting his nail, Zachary gives his third attempt a bit more thought as he moves back to the door. if my memory is still up there, folks at Pinkerton always seemed to react better when a client looked busy or desperate. Taking a deep breath and shutting the door completely behind him, Zachary runs up to the armor, grabs its shoulders, and gives it a shake. "For the love of god man! We've got a situation here!"

CRASH! The suit of armor, having been jostled quite firmly, falls to the ground and creates an evidently audible noise as it does so. The detective scrambles at the crash and skitters away from the fallen hollowed knight. Noticing it was nothing but the noise, Zachary quickly rushes to the door and timidly opens the door slightly. "Everything's okay!" calls down the detective. Zachary quickly drags the armor back to the corner of the room, hopefully where nobody notices the disassembled parts and pieces.

Finding a table or a cushion or somesuch, Zachary rests atop and closes his eyes. Going to have to get some practice with Theo Zachary thinks to himself, I'll try a thing or two in the car on the way to the station. See if that works. The detective tries a few more scenarios without avail, and unintentionally drifts off to sleep.

Zachary awakes in a calm, quiet place. Certainly far from anywhere in town. "Are you alright, detective?" asks a figure standing across from him, "We were just about to point you to those records you were looking for." Still making sense of his surroundings, Zachary does not dare even question why a suit of armor is talking to him. Rising to a stand and brushing off the dust from his coat, the detective notices the large lake right behind the strange armor. Seemingly following Zachary's gaze, the armor points to the lake. "Down there," the armor exclaims, "We keep our records down there." Nodding politely to the armor, Zachary silently makes his way into the lake. Down, down, down he goes, as the chill of nighttime water engulfs the detective. Still somewhat confused, not once does the detective take the time to consider that he is somehow breathing underwater.

Reaching what appears to be the bottom, Zachary finds a table with three chairs, and three teacups of... nothing except perhaps the lake water, as one cannot pour underwater. "Must be poor etiquette" the detective mumbles to himself. Two of the chairs however, seem to have been taken. On the left is a white-ish beige-ish rock, while the one on the right is a motor, likely from a fishing boat. Both seem to be in a heated discussion. Hoping not to get too involved in the dispute, Zachary takes a seat and pretends to drink out of the empty cup.

"You have seven Glen! SEVEN! Why did you need to take my dear Michael as well?" bellowed the talking rock. The motor made a sound Zachary could only assume was chuffing. "Oh please, Gypsum. Let's see how you like it when people are always poking their fishing lines in you." replied the motor brusquely, "I was just enjoying a fine ice bath when this one fellow decides he's going ice fishing and drills a hole into my fine still form. I have ripples Gypsum!"

Zachary tries to speak, but the words aren't exactly what he had in mind. "Got anything else to confess, ghost?" asks the detective. The motor sputters whirrs angrily. "Ghost? GHOST? Did you perhaps consider that I might not be a ghost?" the motor seems to be trying to posture, but the lack of moving parts result in a slight shift to the left. Approximately 15 degrees. "I will have you know, sir, that I am a lake. The two are not the same. Learn the difference!"

Zachary puts the stake he was reaching for back into his coat pocket. "I suppose we won't know for sure without going in though," Zachary shrugs. "Try it young man, and you'll be victim number nine on the local paper." replies the lake-motor. Turning very slightly in the direction of the talking rock, the motor continues. "What is my motive, Gypsum? Maybe I just don't like folks mucking about in my lake. Maybe people like sending people to drown in my lake. Maybe, and I want you to listen Gypsum, maybe I'm not the one you should be blaming here."

Zachary considers these three possibilities and briefly yearns for a notepad to write this all down. "How about you Gypsum?" asks Zachary as he turns to face the moody mineral, "What do you think was the motive of the killer?" the rock doesn't move much as rocks are wont to do, but something about it feels angry. "How should I know? I'm just a talking rock!" exclaims the talking rock. At that moment, the rock fell from the chair, right on Zachary's left foot.


Zachary's eyes fly open as he feels a sharp pain on his left foot. Checking his immediate surroundings, the detective notices a heavy box which fell on his left foot while he was dreaming. In his respite, the detective had sleep-walked into the closet and the impact caused a box to fall on him. Making the quickest run-limp he can, Zachary finds the nearest cushion, covers his mouth, and cries out in pain. While the detective couldn't tell how well the cushion quieted his voice, he knew he would have probably woken up all of Prosperity with that yell.

Noticing it's morning, Zachary checks each closet to make sure the doors are closed, and rejoins the others downstairs.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: March 20th, 1925. 8:00 AM (13 hours have passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural (Claudia is at x3)
The group sleeps after a long day. The level of rest seems to be dubious as most of the folk sleeping in Whitlach Manor have nightmares of various types. The only person who seems to sleep through the evening dreamless is Claudia. The morning finds them a relatively calm if slightly brisk day.

A simple breakfast is had from the manor’s stores, complete with coffee for the adults. Once cleaned up, the group has the whole of the day to get tasks done, which seems to be two or three fold at the moment. It’s obvious that the group would like to interview the widow Gypsum. Secondly some are looking to talk to whatever authority lays claim over the area, either police, sheriff, or company men. Thirdly, was the idea the lake warranted a second visit.

The group packs up and makes their way from Prosperity to relatively nearby Glen Jean, parking near the company store that Theo had parked the day before. The streets are not exactly busy, but they do seem to be a bit sparse. Mostly it appears to be women and young children under the age of ten, moving about doing errands and tasks. The occasional man can be seen, but they appear to be either the old, or crippled, unable to work in the nearby mines.

What Are Your Intentions?

GM Prompt: Who’s going to do what? How are you finding what you’re looking for? ~Consumer

Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 51/51
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 49% / 1d100: [85] = 85
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 1d100: [29] = 29
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [79] = 79
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [29] = 29
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location:
Current Investigation: The drowning death of Mr. Gipsum, late of Glen Jean, West Virginia.
John Taggert / May 15th / 38 years / found drowned in AM by fishermen in a reedy area
Robert Packerd / July 18th / 25 years / found drowned on lakeshore by hikers
Charles Maynard / August 6th / 56 years / found drowned on lakeshore by fishermen (dead a few days)
Joseph Maynard / August 10th / 57 years / found drowned on lakeshore near where Charles was found
Donald Jefferies / October 19th / 37 years / found drowned under the dock
Richard Mackley / October 19th / 45 years / found drowned under the dock
Edward Tackland / November 7th / 70 years / found exposed/drowned on lakeshore
Michael Gypsum / March 4th / 34 years / found drowned/frozen in thin ice
Police safety warnings ineffective.


Heading downstairs after a disturbed night's rest, Aurelio heads straight for the coffee. Food can wait. I'd better have my mind right going ahead today. He greets folks already downstairs, and those who come down after him. "We're heading into Glen Jean after breakfast to find the Widow Gipsum. Would someone like to accompany Claudia and I?" He'll thank whoever elects to join them before going about the rest of the necessary morning routine. As soon as all are ready, he helps pack himself and Claudia into his motorcycle & sidecar and takes off for Glen Jean at a nice, slow pace.

Once in Glen Jean, Aurelio looks for the most prominent church. Her priest or pastor or whatever should likely have some insight. At the very least, he might help me find her so we can speak with her. He looks to Claudia as they come to a stop near the church. "I figure a priest is likely to know much about his flock. Where else do you think we might find the widow Gipsum or find out about her? Any ideas?"
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: / 33%
JIC: /
Current I.S.P.: 60
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Impervious to Hypnotic Suggestion, Mind Controlling Drugs and most forms of Mind Control (including magic)
Skills:

Whitlach Manor, then Glen Jean

Claudia wakes early the next morning. She stretches, feeling well rested and ready to tackle the investigation once again. She’s dressed and waiting in the kitchen as the adults make their way downstairs for breakfast. They look tired, she observes. Worry is written all over Claudia’s face as she helps deliver coffee.

At Glen Jean, Claudia climbs out of her uncle’s sidecar. Her goggles are removed and shoved into a pocket, and she takes a good look around. Although she's eager to get back to the lake, she doesn't mind being in the small town. So different here... she thinks, comparing Glen Jean to New York City.
Aurelio wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:12 pm"I figure a priest is likely to know much about his flock. Where else do you think we might find the widow Gipsum or find out about her? Any ideas?"
Claudia smiles at a young boy that passes by them with his mother. Maybe they were friends...? “Hello,” she greets the boy and the woman.
Dice rolls
1d100: [93] = 93
1d20: [20] = 20
1d100: [16] = 16
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception 21%: [d100 (93)]
JIC: [d100 (74)], [d20 (4)]
Aurelio wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:12 pm Current Investigation: The drowning death of Mr. Gipsum, late of Glen Jean, West Virginia.
John Taggert / May 15th / 38 years / found drowned in AM by fishermen in a reedy area
Robert Packerd / July 18th / 25 years / found drowned on lakeshore by hikers
Charles Maynard / August 6th / 56 years / found drowned on lakeshore by fishermen (dead a few days)
Joseph Maynard / August 10th / 57 years / found drowned on lakeshore near where Charles was found
Donald Jefferies / October 19th / 37 years / found drowned under the dock
Richard Mackley / October 19th / 45 years / found drowned under the dock
Edward Tackland / November 7th / 70 years / found exposed/drowned on lakeshore
Michael Gypsum / March 4th / 34 years / found drowned/frozen in thin ice
Police safety warnings ineffective.


Heading downstairs after a disturbed night's rest, Aurelio heads straight for the coffee. Food can wait. I'd better have my mind right going ahead today. He greets folks already downstairs, and those who come down after him. "We're heading into Glen Jean after breakfast to find the Widow Gipsum. Would someone like to accompany Claudia and I?" He'll thank whoever elects to join them before going about the rest of the necessary morning routine. As soon as all are ready, he helps pack himself and Claudia into his motorcycle & sidecar and takes off for Glen Jean at a nice, slow pace.
Theo hears Aurelio ask the question as he comes down from his post run bath. "I'll go. If it is just 3 or 4 we can take my car, otherwise I will follow the two of you on your bike."
Aurelio wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:12 pm Once in Glen Jean, Aurelio looks for the most prominent church. Her priest or pastor or whatever should likely have some insight. At the very least, he might help me find her so we can speak with her. He looks to Claudia as they come to a stop near the church. "I figure a priest is likely to know much about his flock. Where else do you think we might find the widow Gipsum or find out about her? Any ideas?"
"That is sound logic in small towns." I wonder how big their congregation is? For better or worse it tells alot about the character of the town.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 16 (23%) Dice rolls can be found on Discord
JIC 1D100: 7
JIC 1D20: 10
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Before Glen Jean

Zachary, foot still sore from this morning's accident, limps downstairs. Despite the rude awakening, the detective finds he has slept better than usual. Seeing the rest of the group already awake and together, Zachary gives the others a slightly weary wave just as Aurelio brings up Ms. Gypsum.
Theo wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:44 am Theo hears Aurelio ask the question as he comes down from his post run bath. "I'll go. If it is just 3 or 4 we can take my car, otherwise I will follow the two of you on your bike."
Zachary blinks at the response. "Are we all going together then?," asks the detective. Shoot, I thought Theo and I were going to tackle the police station this morning. Trying to keep his composure, Zachary returns his thoughts to the conversation. "Are we going to see Mrs. Gypsum before splitting up? Might have missed that part of the plan.

At Glen Jean

"I'm headed over to the station, though I think I've mentioned that a good few times now." Zachary mentions as the gang regroups at Glen Jean. Zachary felt some unease at the prospect of speaking to the police, and wanted to get it over with as soon as possible to focus on the records if successful and available. "Looks like we're going our separate ways, so what say we regroup around lunchtime? We can swap notes, and maybe figure out whether we want to head for the widow's house or the lake." After hearing any response (if any), Zachary starts wandering away from the store when a thought hits. I have no idea where I'm going Zachary thinks to himself.

Awkwardly turning around, Zachary walks past the group again and enters the nearby company store. "Forgot a map" Zachary mutters to the rest of the group as he pushes the doors.
Aurelio wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:12 pm Once in Glen Jean, Aurelio looks for the most prominent church. Her priest or pastor or whatever should likely have some insight. At the very least, he might help me find her so we can speak with her. He looks to Claudia as they come to a stop near the church. "I figure a priest is likely to know much about his flock. Where else do you think we might find the widow Gipsum or find out about her? Any ideas?"
Zachary pauses midway into the doorway, as he heard Aurelio's words. The detective thinks back to the events the day before on the docks. The memory is somewhat hazy, as he had only barely heard part of the conversation, but one particular detail stood out. "Pardon me fellas,” begins the detective, “but didn’t one of those fishermen back at the docks say something about how the Gypsum widow was holed up in her house ever since her husband's death? Reckon that might be where we might find her. I can try to listen in on the coppers at the station, if they're willing to spill the beans to a stranger. Also,” Zachary continues as he points to the store entrance behind him, "we can always try asking here as well. I'm going to look for a map, assuming anyone hasn't already bought one."

With that, Zachary disappears into the company store. Taking a moment to browse the shelves, Zachary tries to look around for map of Glen Jean and a copy of the most recent newspaper. The detective then checks his pockets, to see if he still has any earnings left from his work back in Prosperity to pay for both items. Putting on a friendly smile to prevent some of his anxiety from showing, Zachary tries to strike up a conversation with the man behind the register as he pays. "Quiet day today?" Zachary asks, "I forget friend, is today a Sunday? My friends and I were hoping to attend the mass, assuming there's a local church nearby."
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 8:00 AM (10 Minutes have passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural (Claudia is at x3)
Aurelio and Claudia, his ever present shadow, surmise that the local parish may have some answers to the situation. A quick glance of the town doesn’t show a traditional looking church house, but Aurelio does notice one in a two story brick building, nestled among other business and services. Good Grace Church, seems to cater to the religious needs of those in Glen Jean, what particular brand of Christianity it preaches is not evident though. Being a Tuesday morning, there seems to be no services currently, but Aurelio and Claudia find the front door open. Inside a tastefully decorated foyer, the duo see a few paths available to them, directly across is likely the doors into the chapel, while to the right is a set of stairs heading upstairs. To the left are three doors, each one marked. Two are marked as restrooms, while the third is marked office. From this door a middle aged man with thin graying hair and clean shaven face, wearing what is easily identified as priest’s collar exits. ”Oh I wasn’t expecting any visitors. Welcome to the Good Grace church.” The priest says in a calm voice. ”I’m Father Blake. I don’t recognize either of you from my usual congregation, so who might you be?” Father Blake asks with chipper enthusiasm

Meanwhile the rest of the group discuss where they’re going to go. With some definite confusion as to who and where they’re planning to go. One option is to find the Widow Gypsum, but without knowing where her home is, that requires inquiring from the local populace, which Aurelio seems to be doing at the moment. The other option is to find the local authorities and ask questions there, again not exactly a known location, but likely far easier to find by just walking around even.
Zachary takes it upon himself to make his way into the Company store, which is a bit down the road from where they parked his time. Inside, he asks what day it is and where a church may be. The clerk, an older man with gray hair and a thick mustache, responds in a thick pennsylvania dutch accent. ”It’s Tuesday, friend. The nearest church is the Good Grace Church down the road.” The man says, a slightly puzzled look on his brow.

What Are Your Intentions?

Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 51/51
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 49% / 1d100: [53] = 53
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 1d100: [52] = 52
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [91] = 91
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [89] = 89
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location:
Current Investigation: The drowning death of Mr. Gipsum, late of Glen Jean, West Virginia.
John Taggert / May 15th / 38 years / found drowned in AM by fishermen in a reedy area
Robert Packerd / July 18th / 25 years / found drowned on lakeshore by hikers
Charles Maynard / August 6th / 56 years / found drowned on lakeshore by fishermen (dead a few days)
Joseph Maynard / August 10th / 57 years / found drowned on lakeshore near where Charles was found
Donald Jefferies / October 19th / 37 years / found drowned under the dock
Richard Mackley / October 19th / 45 years / found drowned under the dock
Edward Tackland / November 7th / 70 years / found exposed/drowned on lakeshore
Michael Gypsum / March 4th / 34 years / found drowned/frozen in thin ice
Police safety warnings ineffective.


Aurelio's hat is in his hand before he even crosses the threshold into the church. Upon entry he douses his right hand with the holy water and crosses himself. He steps in and looks for the tabernacle. Seeing that it's not lit, he refrains from genuflection, but instead lowers his head for quick, silent prayer to remind himself of his oaths to his Lord. Well, I certainly can't lie to a priest. "Greetings, Father. My name is Aurelio and this is my niece Claudia. We're from the town nearby where we've been asked to look after the Widow Gypsum by folks who know her there." Well, that's rather opaque, but not untrue. "However, we don't know her personally or where she lives, so I thought you might be able to help. And, of course, let us know if there's any other way we can help out the widow that perhaps she might be too proud to ask for or anything along those lines. I know my mother was often too..." Aurelio searches for the right word "dignified to ask for help sometimes as she's gotten older."
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [62] = 62 / 33%
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5 / 1d100: [91] = 91
Current I.S.P.: 60
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Impervious to Hypnotic Suggestion, Mind Controlling Drugs and most forms of Mind Control (including magic)
Skills:

Good Grace Church, Glen Jean

After her uncle’s introductions, Claudia mutters a polite, “Hello,” to Father Blake. Then, as quiet as a church mouse, she wanders a few steps away from the two men. Claudia’s eyes take in the interior of the church. It feels old, she thinks of the building. She inspects a nearby pew, half expecting a shadow to be sitting there.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [90] = 90 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [97] = 97
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [20] = 20
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

At the Store
Throwing some cash on the counter, Zachary gives him a nervous nod. Picking up the map and walking out of the store, Zachary waves in the direction of where Auralio and Claudia once stood. "We're looking for some place called Good Gra-" Zachary stops himself as he realizes Aurelio and Claudia left. "Guess it wasn't too hard to find, was it?" Zachary notes to Callum. Having got his map with him, Zachary starts walking in the direction of the local station/guardhouse/whatever is on the sheet. "If anyone wants to tag along, feel free," calls the detective as he finally makes his way over.

At the Station
Zachary observes the building before him, and considers for a moment whether or not it would be a better idea to perhaps enter through the rear window. Entertaining the idea for a moment, Zachary walks to the rear of the building and tries to peek into the back window if there is one. Escape route, the detective thinks to himself, a building like this ought to have its own share of ghosts flying about. Circling back from the rear of the building to the front, Zachary looks for a side window too just to be careful. Hoping his findings are satisfactory and mentally reciting his mental script from the day before, Zachary reaches the front door and pushes it open. Start casual the detective repeats to himself, maybe folks here are friendlier than Callum gives them credit for.

Once inside, Zachary scans the room to make note of the folks inside. Callum's warning again flashes through Zachary's thoughts, as each glance searches for something that might look like a weapon on them. If there is a front desk or somesuch, Zachary will approach and try to greet the fellow behind the desk. "Awfully chilly morning today, eh copper? Felt my hairs standing on end out there."
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception: 25% / d100: [89] = 89
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 1d100: [86] = 86

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural.+ 1v Magic/Horror Factor, +3 Psionics.
Zachary Splindt wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:02 pm At the Store
Throwing some cash on the counter, Zachary gives him a nervous nod. Picking up the map and walking out of the store, Zachary waves in the direction of where Auralio and Claudia once stood. "We're looking for some place called Good Gra-" Zachary stops himself as he realizes Aurelio and Claudia left. "Guess it wasn't too hard to find, was it?" Zachary notes to Callum. Having got his map with him, Zachary starts walking in the direction of the local station/guardhouse/whatever is on the sheet. "If anyone wants to tag along, feel free," calls the detective as he finally makes his way over.
Theo follows Zachary and says, "I will go with you. You do the talking. I want to observe their reactions."
Zachary Splindt wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:02 pm At the Station
Zachary observes the building before him, and considers for a moment whether or not it would be a better idea to perhaps enter through the rear window. Entertaining the idea for a moment, Zachary walks to the rear of the building and tries to peek into the back window if there is one. Escape route, the detective thinks to himself, a building like this ought to have its own share of ghosts flying about. Circling back from the rear of the building to the front, Zachary looks for a side window too just to be careful. Hoping his findings are satisfactory and mentally reciting his mental script from the day before, Zachary reaches the front door and pushes it open. Start casual the detective repeats to himself, maybe folks here are friendlier than Callum gives them credit for.
Policing in a small town like this will be different from Richmond. People are much closer and every case is personal. I need to try and find the one most viscerally affected by questions into these occurrences at the lake.
Zachary Splindt wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:02 pm Once inside, Zachary scans the room to make note of the folks inside. Callum's warning again flashes through Zachary's thoughts, as each glance searches for something that might look like a weapon on them. If there is a front desk or somesuch, Zachary will approach and try to greet the fellow behind the desk. "Awfully chilly morning today, eh copper? Felt my hairs standing on end out there."
Part of any good interrogation is reading body language. I will use my skills to examine everyone as Zachary speaks and asks questions. The one that seems most put out by the questions will be the one we need to talk to in depth. As Zachary speaks to the officer he will examine anyone within earshot for this sort of reaction.

Interrogation 50%: 1d100: [49] = 49
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 8:10 AM (10 Minutes have passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural (Claudia is at x3)
At the church, Aurelio introduces himself and Claudia, who in turn gives a quick greeting as well. The Priest nods at Aurelio’s question and sighs. ”A shame what that woman has gone through these past few years. I’m hoping that she finds peace in the coming days. As for where she resides, I can provide that. Give me a moment to go to my desk and I will write it down.” Father Blake says, before leaving the pair alone once more. Claudia wanders about to see the inside of the chapel proper. To her it lacks the feeling she’s gotten before in other churches. It doesn’t feel wrong in a dangerous sense, but it just doesn’t feel right either, like the building lacks life.

Father Blake returns a few moments later with a slip of paper likely torn from a notepad. ”Here you go, I hope you’re able to help her.” Father Blake says with a sympathetic smile. On the note is an address that seems easy enough to find.

Meanwhile Theo and Zachary decide to make their way to whatever this town calls the law. It takes the duo a few minutes to find the building, a dark brick building with a foreboding aire about it. A lintel stone is chiseled with the word Police in bold lettering. The front door is a thick wooden one with metal banding, it makes one think of dank dungeons of some of those fantasy pulp novels that are starting to become popular.

Entering the building, the duo find it dimly lit, with shadows blocking out large portions of the building. In the entrance way a counter of some indeterminable dark wood gives the room a sinister appearance. Behind the counter are two uniformed men, who turn to face Theo and Zachary as they enter. One is a thickly built man with sallow skin and dark sunken eyes. His uniform is dark blue with a badge on one breast pocket and a small pin on the opposite. His companion is gangly and pale, his face sharp and angular with cold eyes. His uniform is similar to his companion, but seems a bit too big. They seem to have been in conversation when Theo and Zachary had entered, but now they silently watch the duo.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Awfully chilly morning today, eh copper? Felt my hairs standing on end out there."
The two men look to each other as if to silently decide who is going to speak, before the thin one does in a thin reedy voice. ”I guess it could be. What can we do for you?” The officer says, Theo can’t help but feel like they’re sizing the two of them up.

What Are Your Intentions?

Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 51/51
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 8:10 AM (10 Minutes have passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
The two men look to each other as if to silently decide who is going to speak, before the thin one does in a thin reedy voice. ”I guess it could be. What can we do for you?” The officer says, Theo can’t help but feel like they’re sizing the two of them up.
Perception 25%: d100: [22] = 22
JIC: d100: [96] = 96 . d20: [12] = 12

Theo, oblivious to the oddity of his surroundings and this pair of officers, says, "Good Morning. The scuttlebutt around town is that there have been an unusually high spike in drownings in the lake. I was contemplating going out there for some fishing and relaxation. Wanted to see if I had anything I should be looking out for." Let's see how they respond to the direct question.

Theo waits for the response so that he can gather any body language or facial/vocal expressions indicating obfuscation or discomfort.

Interrogation 50%: d100: [15] = 15
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Callum »

Precp 43%: 1d100: [46] = 46
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 1d100: [13] = 13

Conditions:
Closed to the Supernatural
ISP: 22/22


As the two parties head off in their respective direction to the Church and policy station, Callum dallies around the car, not going with either group. Instead he looks at the older men walking around town and gets an idea. Picking up, and paying for, a town newspaper, Callum searches for a place to sit and read. He's prefer a park but he focuses on where the older men are going and tries to sus out where they congregate. After all, men that can't work love to tell stories.

If there's a park, Callum will find an unoccupied bench and hope that someone comes over.
If there's no park or no one is at it, he will look to see where the people are headed and will settle on a coffee shop if need be.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [25] = 25 / 33%
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 / 1d100: [54] = 54
Current I.S.P.: 60
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Impervious to Hypnotic Suggestion, Mind Controlling Drugs and most forms of Mind Control (including magic)
Skills:

Good Grace Church, Glen Jean

Claudia eventually makes her way back to her uncle’s side, just in time to witness Father Blake hand Aurelio a slip of paper. “There’s no life here,” she states matter-of-factly. She has no clue that her words will likely put her uncle in an awkward position. Her gaze alternates between the two men. “So many deaths, but no shadows,” she adds. Is that a good thing? Claudia isn’t sure.
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [91] = 91 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [77] = 77
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [20] = 20
Conditions: Closed to the supernatural

Zachary is caught off-guard by the coldness of the guards. The grim architecture of the building coupled with the less-than-friendly disposition of the guards causes the detective to catch his tongue as he stops himself from immediately asking for the records. Seems like they're not too keen on folks barging into their business, Zachary thinks to himself, wonder if we were about to hear something we shouldn't have. Before Zachary can reply, Theo speaks up.
Theo wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:45 am"Good Morning. The scuttlebutt around town is that there have been an unusually high spike in drownings in the lake. I was contemplating going out there for some fishing and relaxation. Wanted to see if I had anything I should be looking out for."
Seeing an opening, Zachary chimes in, "You know how it is. Looks like a large pond from the outside, and two steps in... splash!" Zachary tries to fake a chuckle. "Don't even get me started on the wildlife. I don't want to end up as some wolf's dinner."
User avatar
Aurelio
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 8:30 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Aurelio »

Perception: 49% / 1d100: [72] = 72
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 1d100: [24] = 24
Language: English 66% / 1d100: [99] = 99
Literacy: English 40% / 1d100: [61] = 61
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural. Heals twice as quickly as normal. Incredibly strong. +2 v Magic/Toxins.
Location:
Current Investigation: The drowning death of Mr. Gipsum, late of Glen Jean, West Virginia.
John Taggert / May 15th / 38 years / found drowned in AM by fishermen in a reedy area
Robert Packerd / July 18th / 25 years / found drowned on lakeshore by hikers
Charles Maynard / August 6th / 56 years / found drowned on lakeshore by fishermen (dead a few days)
Joseph Maynard / August 10th / 57 years / found drowned on lakeshore near where Charles was found
Donald Jefferies / October 19th / 37 years / found drowned under the dock
Richard Mackley / October 19th / 45 years / found drowned under the dock
Edward Tackland / November 7th / 70 years / found exposed/drowned on lakeshore
Michael Gypsum / March 4th / 34 years / found drowned/frozen in thin ice
Police safety warnings ineffective.

Consumer wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:27 pmAt the church, Aurelio introduces himself and Claudia, who in turn gives a quick greeting as well. The Priest nods at Aurelio’s question and sighs. ”A shame what that woman has gone through these past few years. I’m hoping that she finds peace in the coming days. As for where she resides, I can provide that. Give me a moment to go to my desk and I will write it down.” Father Blake says, before leaving the pair alone once more. Claudia wanders about to see the inside of the chapel proper. To her it lacks the feeling she’s gotten before in other churches. It doesn’t feel wrong in a dangerous sense, but it just doesn’t feel right either, like the building lacks life. Father Blake returns a few moments later with a slip of paper likely torn from a notepad. ”Here you go, I hope you’re able to help her.” Father Blake says with a sympathetic smile. On the note is an address that seems easy enough to find.
Aurelio accepts the note with the address. "There anything we should pick up on the way to her house that she might need? I was thinking a can of coffee might lift her spirits. It's wonderful to be blessed enough that we're able to help strangers like the widow, but facing the unknown is often quite daunting. Anything we might need to know to better help her?"
Claudia wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:28 amClaudia eventually makes her way back to her uncle’s side, just in time to witness Father Blake hand Aurelio a slip of paper. “There’s no life here,” she states matter-of-factly. Her gaze alternates between the two men. “So many deaths, but no shadows,” she adds.
Aurelio looks down at his niece quizzically. "This is a church of God, Claudia. Funerary rites are often held here, no doubt, but Father Blake drives away the shadows with the light of our Lord." He looks up to Father Blake for a little support, "Don't you Father?"
My Linktree Page
Aurelio
“Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” – Joe Lewis
Don't PM this account. Send all PMs to Augur.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: Phase World GM (Galactic Rogues)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 8:10 AM (10 Minutes have passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural (Claudia is at x3)
At the church, Aurellio is for the most part finishing up the conversation with Father Blake.
Aurelio wrote:"There anything we should pick up on the way to her house that she might need? I was thinking a can of coffee might lift her spirits. It's wonderful to be blessed enough that we're able to help strangers like the widow, but facing the unknown is often quite daunting. Anything we might need to know to better help her?"
Father Blake seems to think for a moment. ”I don’t rightly know, but I’m sure coffee would be welcomed by her. It certainly would be a sweet gesture.” Father Blake says.

Claudia makes her way back to her uncle’s side, and in usual fashion has something to say, but it comes out cryptic as ever to all involved.
Claudia wrote:“There’s no life here,.. So many deaths, but no shadows,”
The priest and Aurellio acknowledge the girl in their own ways.
Aurelio wrote:"This is a church of God, Claudia. Funerary rites are often held here, no doubt, but Father Blake drives away the shadows with the light of our Lord." He looks up to Father Blake for a little support, "Don't you Father?"
”But of course, we can’t be having shadows hanging over our parishioners.” Father Blake says.

”I do hope your able to help Mrs. Gypsum, I’ve prayed for her for a while now, and maybe my prayers have been answered. It’s been a pleasure meeting you Aurelio and you too Claudia, please visit us on Sunday for mass if you have the time.” Father Blake says, while showing the pair out.

At the Police Station, Theo decides to openly question the police.
Theo wrote:"Good Morning. The scuttlebutt around town is that there have been an unusually high spike in drownings in the lake. I was contemplating going out there for some fishing and relaxation. Wanted to see if I had anything I should be looking out for."
The two officers kind of stare at Theo for a moment, like what he’s asked them has them confused. ”Maybe, never really thought about it. If you’re worried about drowning, I would avoid going in the water then. But a big lad such as yourself should be a strong swimmer, no?” The thin man responds. Theo can tell this man doesn’t seem to care about the drownings at all.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"You know how it is. Looks like a large pond from the outside, and two steps in... splash!" Zachary tries to fake a chuckle. "Don't even get me started on the wildlife. I don't want to end up as some wolf's dinner."
The thin officer shrugs. ”Not much wildlife around here. They don’t like the noise. Unless you’re afraid of raccoons and squirrels.” The man says. ”Now is there something you actually need, or are you just here to talk about fishing?” The man asks bluntly.

Theo is not having an easy time reading them, either they are experts at hiding their motives, or they really don’t care, he’s hard pressed to guess which.

On the street, Callum decides to follow some old men. He moves in behind a pair of elderly individuals walking down the street. They make a stop at the company store, spending some time in there shopping around, before seemingly heading back to where they live. Finding that bit of a bust, Callum tries to find something that resembles a hangout spot for older folk, and the only thing he finds easily accessible is a barbershop. Several older men congregate there, reading newspapers, playing checkers, jawing about the news, all oblivious to being observed.


What Are Your Intentions?

Aurellio: HP: 33/33, S.D.C.: 76/76.
Claudia: HP: 22/22, S.D.C.: 13/13, I.S.P.: 51/51
Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"Death is the only true constant, for everything dies, but not everything truly lives."
GM of the Galactic Rogues (PW), The Templar, and BTS
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception: 25% / 1d100: [15] = 15
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 d100: [79] = 79

Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural.+ 1v Magic/Horror Factor, +3 Psionics.
Consumer wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:06 pm A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 8:10 AM (10 Minutes have passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.

At the Police Station, Theo decides to openly question the police.
Theo wrote:"Good Morning. The scuttlebutt around town is that there have been an unusually high spike in drownings in the lake. I was contemplating going out there for some fishing and relaxation. Wanted to see if I had anything I should be looking out for."
The two officers kind of stare at Theo for a moment, like what he’s asked them has them confused. ”Maybe, never really thought about it. If you’re worried about drowning, I would avoid going in the water then. But a big lad such as yourself should be a strong swimmer, no?” The thin man responds. Theo can tell this man doesn’t seem to care about the drownings at all.
Although the answer is sarcastic, Theo decides to laugh it off as a joke. "Hear that Zachary, avoid getting in the water. This guy is hilarious." Indifference in a small town. Very uncharacteristic.
Consumer wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:06 pm
Zachary Splindt wrote:"You know how it is. Looks like a large pond from the outside, and two steps in... splash!" Zachary tries to fake a chuckle. "Don't even get me started on the wildlife. I don't want to end up as some wolf's dinner."
The thin officer shrugs. ”Not much wildlife around here. They don’t like the noise. Unless you’re afraid of raccoons and squirrels.” The man says. ”Now is there something you actually need, or are you just here to talk about fishing?” The man asks bluntly.

Theo is not having an easy time reading them, either they are experts at hiding their motives, or they really don’t care, he’s hard pressed to guess which.
"Thanks for the info , sparse as it may be. You gentlemen have a good day." He begin walking to the door, just before exiting he turns back and, says, "Oh one more thing officer. I am curious, you seem disinterested in drownings. One is unfortunate, two is a travesty. Seven is downright suspicious. When I was on the force back in Richmond, we had stretch where 4 citizens were hit by trains on a short stretch of track. The whole city was in an uproar and demanded something be done. Turns out the path was a shortcut for some laborers without cars to get across town to a tobacco warehouse. Shaved a lot of time off of their commute. The city came together and they started finding a way to get people rides so they wouldn't have to walk across the tracks. A city the size of Richmond coming together to make their folks safe. But Glen Jean seems indifferent to the deaths of 7 people. I was always told there was nothing like the small town for a close knit community, but Glen Jean has lost 7 citizens to drowning and even the police are completely indifferent. Kind of caught me off guard. Why do you think no one seems to care about a potential threat to the people here?"

Theo observes them closely hoping that the direct and somewhat accusatory rhetoric will spark some sort of response he can be read.

Interrogation 50%: 1d100: [2] = 2
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [85] = 85 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [8] = 8
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [7] = 7
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary is a bit suspicious at the aloofness of the guards. Almost seems like they want us to end the conversation early thinks the detective, maybe Callum's warning about these small towns wasn't just paranoia after all...
Theo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:15 am "Thanks for the info , sparse as it may be. You gentlemen have a good day." He begin walking to the door, just before exiting he turns back and, says, "Oh one more thing officer. I am curious, you seem disinterested in drownings. One is unfortunate, two is a travesty. Seven is downright suspicious. When I was on the force back in Richmond, we had stretch where 4 citizens were hit by trains on a short stretch of track. The whole city was in an uproar and demanded something be done. Turns out the path was a shortcut for some laborers without cars to get across town to a tobacco warehouse. Shaved a lot of time off of their commute. The city came together and they started finding a way to get people rides so they wouldn't have to walk across the tracks. A city the size of Richmond coming together to make their folks safe. But Glen Jean seems indifferent to the deaths of 7 people. I was always told there was nothing like the small town for a close knit community, but Glen Jean has lost 7 citizens to drowning and even the police are completely indifferent. Kind of caught me off guard. Why do you think no one seems to care about a potential threat to the people here?"
Taken off-guard at Theo's direct accusation, Zachary can practically hear Callum's warning blaring like an alarm bell inside his mind. The detective's vision flips to Theo, then to the guards, then to Theo again, etc. Zachary tries to see how the guards react.

If the guards react with shock
Hoping to avoid arousing too much suspicion, the detective tries to smooth out the barbs of Theo's statement. Maybe we can glean something out of this while we're out of it. Zachary thinks to himself. "The same thing... like the rail cars, yeah?" asks the detective. Turning to the guards, Zachary continues, "maybe from a big gho- fish in the lake? I'd like to catch it if we can find it." Zachary is unsure whether or not this diffuses the situation, but some confused part of him thinks it has a shot. The detective gives an awkward grin as he awaits a response.

If the guards react with indifference
Noticing that the guards are surprisingly unprovoked by a such a statement, Zachary follows Theo outside. Before doing so, Zachary takes a brief glance at the guards themselves for pistons or wires or anything that could point to them being mechanical. Zachary then takes a look at the room behind the guards, specifically for a door with a keyhole or nearby windows.
User avatar
Callum
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon May 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Callum »

Precp 43%: 1d100: [84] = 84
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 1d100: [84] = 84

Conditions:
Closed to the Supernatural
ISP: 22/22

Callum runs a hand through his hair and over his face, Why not, I could do with a cut and a shave. Give a little tongue waggle with the fellas that are hanging out here.

After looking in the shop window for a bit, Callum makes his way inside. Nodding and smiling to the apparent proprietor, Callum says, "I could do with a haircut and a shave, if you have an open spot."

If there's an opening, Callum will sit down in the Barber's chair as directed. He stays quiet for a bit, waiting for the men in the shop to talk to him first, otherwise he just listens for the duration of his shave. When the barber moves on to trimming up his growing locks, Callum says, "It's a nice town you got here. How easy is it to find a job? I'm guessing the mine has the most jobs." He waits a bit to see what the older men say.
User avatar
Claudia
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Claudia »

Perception: 1d100: [81] = 81 / 33%
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [70] = 70
Current I.S.P.: 60
Conditions: Open to the Supernatural, Sixth Sense?, Psychic Bloodhound?
Impervious to Hypnotic Suggestion, Mind Controlling Drugs and most forms of Mind Control (including magic)
Skills:

Good Grace Church, Glen Jean

Claudia takes in the words of both men and tries to make sense of them. Her gaze goes to her hands as she wonders, Light of our Lord… She looks to Father Blake’s hands and wonders, Do we have the same light? Before Claudia can have any more thoughts, she’s ushered out of the church along with her uncle. As they stand at the door, Claudia decides to ask for the priest’s help. She tells him, “There are shadows at the lake.”
Claudia
“When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable.” - Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm
Post Reply

Return to “Boxed Nightmares”