Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

The continuing adventures of an arrogant elf, and the masochists who join him on his fools errands.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Keiko »

Perception: 1d100: [87] = 87 /45%
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 ; 1d100: [30] = 30
Active Effects
Keiko makes her way through the rooms, Interesting. I wonder what happened here? Doesn't look like it was all nice., eventually ending up back where the others are. Keiko watches as Daisuke messes around with some kind of food. Has he lost his mind? Maybe just had too many dimensional jumps lately. Some people just have a hard time coping.

"So I took a look around. Looks like the place has been empty for several months. I did find signs of a struggle in one room, but I cant make out what happened. So looks like we are good to not expect the previous residents back. That's also why the food is off. It's likely past its expiration.

Daisuke wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:12 pm
"Are you suggesting that we currently exist in an alternative timeline?" he asks, placing his palms on his cheeks in dramatic if not genuine astonishment. "It sounds to me like you already have a theory bouncing around in that beautiful brain of yours. Is the suggestion that the Coalition States would have expanded to encompass greater territory, into a "Grand Empire", if they had allowed magic as part of their military dogma?"


Keiko smirks at Daisuke's surprise. "Is it really that surprising? There are realities beyond measure out there. We just happened to find one close to ours. Likely has a few tweaks to their history. Hence why we don't recognize any symbols. Shifters can move through different realities and dimensions without much help. I always wanted to learn how to jump between dimensions. I guess it would have been too easy to get back if I could jump between dimensions. Could have just popped us all back. Guess it's something to pursue when we get back home." Keiko looks between them, "So. I guess we just wait for the others to get back?"
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
Do not PM this Account. Please direct all PMs to Sum of All Fears
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 , 1d100: [6] = 6
PER: 1d100: [52] = 52 vs. 94%

Trust/Intimidate: 1d100: [59] = 59 vs. 65% (+10% vs. good alignments, 20% vs. evil)
Charm/Impress: 1d100: [17] = 17 vs. 100%
To make nice with the priest.

Conditions:
700ft probe, 1400ft communicate, 24m00s, 82% chance to read specific memories.

Grant Latham wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:06 pm"I want to check out the Collegiate Arcane, but I will wait for those of you going out to reconnoiter to return."
Ronith nods. ”We’ll all go together. A quick reconnoiter first to make sure it’s safe, but I don’t think we can stay here.” Should one of the others share the name they found, Ronith will frown in thought. That name… Sounds familiar… If he recognizes the new leader of the Spook Squad, he will add ”I’ve heard of him- took over for Spook Squad after Sir Thorn retired. Further confirmation that this is indeed a parallel reality.” Not that we needed any.
Virtus wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:35 am"Where have you been friend?! Ragnarok is upon us. Odin's vessel, the Emperor, is preparing the world to fight! Are you ready to join the fight? Why wait for a summons?! The Emperor will certainly enlist such fit people as yourselves!"
Ronith decides that he can get further by playing nice. Returning the priest’s enthusiastic greeting with an exuberant grin all his own, Ronith says ”Indeed! My time is nearly upon me. But I seek to arm myself with knowledge, in addition to my blade. I would know all there is to know about this conflict, and our foe. Tell me, what is the latest?” As they talk, Ronith will idly use telepathy to scan the priest’s surface thoughts- for anything he might not be telling the cyber-knight. When Ronith has extracted all the knowledge he can from the man, he will thank him, say a quick prayer to Odin at the shrine, and take his leave. After noting the location of the base and the general disposition of the troopers, he will return to the “Haven.” There, he will greet the others. ”Learned anything else? Then let us make haste to the Collegiate, or whatever it is in this world. Hopefully that will show us the path back home.” Four hundred years to make my way home once- then back for a few days before I have to do it all over again. At least this time I won’t come back old.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent)
| BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
ISP- 67/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 0/4. Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (1/3); Cleanse (3/3)
User avatar
Daisuke
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Daisuke »

((rolls carried over))
Keiko wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:04 am"So I took a look around. Looks like the place has been empty for several months. I did find signs of a struggle in one room, but I cant make out what happened. So looks like we are good to not expect the previous residents back. That's also why the food is off. It's likely past its expiration.
No...
Yes!

A mischievous gleam flashes across Daisuke's face and he holds one of the expired kernels aloft in his hand.

"Are you certain?" he asks, a quixotic mask failing horribly to conceal what seems to be an inner snicker. "Try it my friend, how can you be certain unless you try?" Then with or without permission, Daisuke tosses the kernel toward Keiko's face, seemingly hoping that her natural cat-like reflexes will cause her to inadvertently consume the stale morsel.
Keiko wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:04 amKeiko smirks at Daisuke's surprise. "Is it really that surprising? There are realities beyond measure out there. We just happened to find one close to ours. Likely has a few tweaks to their history. Hence why we don't recognize any symbols. Shifters can move through different realities and dimensions without much help. I always wanted to learn how to jump between dimensions. I guess it would have been too easy to get back if I could jump between dimensions. Could have just popped us all back. Guess it's something to pursue when we get back home."
"I must admit... I am not familiar with your... magical mumbo jumbo." Daisuke states, wiggling his fingers to represent magical invocation in what some may perceive to be a mocking manner. "What I do know is what I smell."

Taking a moment for dramatic effect, he sniffs the air and nods in affirmation, "Yes, my friends... I smell..."

"Opportunity for profit!"

Tapping his temple, he elaborates, "Imagine... an entire DIMENSION ripe for the pickings! And when we are finished... poof! Magic finger waggle our way back home... with all the wealth!"

The manic look on the Arismal's face suggests that he has a half-baked plan at best and seems to be ignoring the possibility of repercussions in the face of imagined unforeseen riches.
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
Posts: 433
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Virtus »

Day 1, 112PA
Time: 10:24am
Weather: 60F, light clouds, strong SE wind.
Magic: little within sensible distance.
Radio traffic: heavy
Daisuke listens to the radio and catches glimpses of TVs. The culture seems to be plunged into war, only to prepare for another war. There are wars on different fronts. He also discovers there is a king of New Paducah. Apparently there is a palace on the river itself.

Grant probes the minds of passersby. Most seem to loathe the war or fear it. Even in their minds there seems to be fear of being discovered. Some of the thoughts suggest the possibility that psychics are bring used to search for traitors against the Emperor. Some people dislike the Emperor while others relish his vengeance against the Coalition. As far as non humans, it seems most have been enlisted into the wars, often possessing useful qualities.

Daisuke's testing for magical appliances ends in disappointment as all seems to be equivalent to their own world. Continuing to consume the local culture rewards him with video from the past weekend.
"Word has just come in that another Xiticix Hive has been destroyed hive has been destroyed. The citizens of Tolkeen are lost in revelry!" exclaims one human woman, garbed in a stylized Omega Guard uniform. A dogboy next to year replies, "You aren't kidding Neena, just look at the joy in the faces of the returning guard!" after which the camera cuts to scenes of thousands of guard entering Tolkeen where confetti is showering down. The vehicles, PAs and robots look mostly familiar even if stylized with a subtle Norse flair.
Barracuda asks who "we" are at war with. The man replies to him saying, "Ultimately we are at war with destruction itself! Before Ragnarok is upon us, we must unite the world so it can stand as one under the Emperor!" You do notice every time he mentions the Emperor he comes to attention and raps his chest twice with his right hand in a sign of fealty.

Linking with his mind, Ronith listens to the man talk about the Emperor's accomplishments. It seems that it started with Tolkeen. It seems that Tolkeen did not lose war, due directly to the Emperor. The Coalition declined in power. During Tolkeen apparently the Emperor received visions that guided him to victory. From there he pushed the advantage, capturing many CS towns. His influence grew like wildfire as did his forces. He was a magnet for mercenaries from the world over. Among his visions, he saw Ragnarok upon the world and a glimmer of hope if the world could be united under him. This brought him into conflict with much of the Magic Zone, including Dunscan. All fell before him, either bending the knee or losing their lives. His victory was again made possible from the visions he receives from Odin. It was Odin that taught him how to build the Magisk Brønn . Among his closest allies were many cyber knights. While wars raged, he subdued the mystic knights and then merged them with the cyber knights, renaming them Omega Knights. A formidable fighting force, they possess the best attributes of the Mystic Knights and the Cyber Knights. The Omega Knights are now the aspiration of every child. Heroes of superhuman stature and absolutely loyal to the Emperor. Of all the CS cities, only ChiTown now remains as a hold out, but most seem convinced it will fall within a year. The new battle fronts are Atlantis and Quebec. From reports a navy is already under construction on the eastern coast. An unknown foe has recently come to light. Only the name Archie has been floated, but it's now also under the Emperor's eyes.
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Barracuda »

Perception: 1d100: [60] = 60 /46% (61% underwater)
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 / 1d100: [84] = 84

"Got it! Ragnarok is coming and only a united front under the Emperor can tackle such a threat. Obviously, the Emperor can guide us through these troubled times. So, I've only ever called him 'The Emperor', but Emperor what? What's his name?" Corwin tries to play it as innocent as possible, not tipping anyone off that he isn't from here.

When they're alone, he says "You guys, I think someone besides the Coalition is in charge here." If he gets the clue as to who the Emperor is, he'll spill the beans.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
Ledger
User avatar
Daisuke
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Twenty Five or Six to Four

Post by Daisuke »

-----------------------------------
Perception: d%: [41] = 41 | 88%
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 | d%: [26] = 26 %
-----------------------------------
Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Swallowing Limbo [400lbs nonliving] (0/4 people)
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs each slot] (2/4)
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs each slot] (1/2)

  • HP/MDC: 70/70
    SDC: 211/211
    PPE: 13/13
TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45
  • Arms: 40 each
  • Legs: 45 each
  • Main Body: 100

Weight: 25 lbs.
Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Triples wearer's speed, fatigue reduced to 20% usual rate
  • Increase leap ability by 50%
  • Infrared & thermal masking

Book Reference: Kraus Imported Arms


NG Bush Pilot Armored Jumpsuit
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Flight Helmet: 35
  • Arms: 9 each
  • Legs: 20 each
  • Main Body: 25

Weight: 6 lbs.
Modifiers: None
Features:
  • Flight helmet includes built-in radio and nightvision goggles

Book Reference: p.77-78, WB33

Wilk's 1000 Pulse Laser Cannon
Image
  • Range: 3000'
  • Damage: 5D6+3 M.D. per shot or 3D4x10 M.D. per 3-pulse burst
  • Rate of Fire: Single shots or 3-pulse bursts only
  • Payload: 240 shots with a portable generator
  • Weight: 40 lbs.; portable generator weighs 70 lbs.
  • Features: W.P. Heavy M.D. Weapons; Generator recharges at 8 shots per hour; 1 hour to charge when connected to nuclear power supply
  • Modifiers: None
  • Book Reference: p.104, MercOps

Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 28% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +7 (+1)
Magic (varies): +7 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +10 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +15 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +7 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +7 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +16
Psionics (12+): +7
Horror Factor: +12
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +13 (+6)
Conditions
  • 40.00 min. Enhanced Leaping, Heightened Sense of Hearing, Heightened Sense of Awareness, Heightened Sense of Balance, Climbing 90%

A small pout affixes itself to Daisuke's face when he discovers the appliances and infrastructure to be mundane. His disappointment does not last long however as he catches sight of tidbits of useful information on the televisions. Rapidly returning to the main living room and ensuring that different channels are selected for each television/radio, Daisuke sits himself back down.

"Look my friends," he says enthusiastically to any who remain ((Grant and/or Keiko)), "These... Norse Omega Guards of this Empire... are victorious in all their battles!" There is an underlying tone of skepticism in Daisuke's voice.

"This state propaganda is strong," he continues, flexing an arm for emphasis, "which means there is likely much suffering among the REAL driver of the engines of perpetual war..."

Really? You care about the suffering of commoners who may have been conscripted, or enslaved to work camps? It's true, if this empire has imposed martial law across its realm and has geared all its production to a war-footing, there are likely many civil liberties of its denizens or prisoners of war that may be suppressed in the name of victory. We shouldn't forget these many faceless names without the power to fight for their own rights. Daisuke can practically hear a mental snicker from Kondo as he continues his diatribe in spite of Daisuke's moral rectitude.

"That means... to maximize profits, we will need to become SMUGGLERS!" Daisuke throws his hands up into the air in joyous celebration. "Oh you will LOVE the life of a smuggler. And the ladies... Ho ho ho, they love the roguish scoundrel don't you know. So much mystery. So much allure. They cannot get enough of it! Just to be close to danger is enticing to their minds... and bodies." The Arismal waggles his eyebrows very uncharacteristically.

While waiting for the rest of the Heroes for Hire to return, Daisuke will continue to watch tv and listen to radio. He will try to leverage his now heightened sense of hearing and his natural heightened sense of recall to monitor many channels of tv and radio simultaneously. To others, the space may sound a bit like a cacophony of disjointed audio sources, but the Arismal's multi-tasking mind and extraordinary intelligence should prove sufficient to parse it all out.
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 , 1d100: [97] = 97
PER: 1d100: [42] = 42 vs. 94%

Conditions:
700ft probe, 1400ft communicate, 24m00s, 82% chance to read specific memories.


An icy shiver travels down Ronith’s spine as he listens to the priest with ears and mind, but he’s quick to dismiss the thought. And here I was thinking that the Dark Age had beaten the egomania out of me. Don’t be ridiculous, Ronith. Still, how many knights serving Odin were in fight for Tolkeen? I wonder if it’s someone I sort-of knew. Any advantage in dealing with these authoritarians might prove crucial, if we can’t find a quick way home. Aloud, Ronith urges the priest on with a hushed voice. ”The emperor is truly a great man. What is he like? Have you ever seen him?” Again, Ronith will use vocal prompts to try and evoke specific imagery in the man’s mind- he wants to see what the emperor looks like.

With some side-eye to Barracuda, who apparently has a similar thought, Ronith will wait patiently for the priest to finish. Then, with a final bow he says ”We should be going. Ragnarok awaits.” He then motions Barracuda to withdraw. Once they’re outside, Ronith says ”I don’t like this. A massive populist movement coupled with rapid indoctrination of the population in a short period of time, and some sort of higher life dispensing visions at the other end of it. That doesn’t sound like Odin’s style, but the alternatives are far worse. Let’s get back to the others.” Rounding up Ashlynn, Ronith leads the way back to the Haunt. There, he’ll ask Grant for a brief report, and relay what they round around town. ”What we’re seeing is the result of an ascendant Tolkeen- suspiciously ascendant, if you ask me. That suggests that magic is still accessible in this world, and that the new regime is somehow responsible for why it is harder to sense. We should exercise extreme caution at the Collegiate- if these ‘Omega Knights’ have done something to the local nexus it is likely to be a high-security area.” Once they’re done, Ronith will order everyone to head to the Collegiate (or whatever is in its place).
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent)
| BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
ISP- 67/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 0/4. Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (1/3); Cleanse (3/3)
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Grant Latham »

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100: [75] = 75
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 , 1d100: [17] = 17
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 76/94
  • P.P.E.: 656/656
  • Lord Magus Armor • Main Body: 50/50 Head: 45/45 Arms: 15/15 Legs:30/30
Telepathy | 4 ISP | RUE 177 | Surface thoughts: 60', Two Way Telepathic: 500' | 20 min

Empathy | 4 ISP | RUE 172 | 100' area | 20 min



Grant turns back from the window and joins Daisuke and Kondo. The boisterous conversation overcomes his trained stoicism. "This isn't a dimension where the Coalition States didn't reject magic, it's a dimension where it looks like the Federation of Magic may have won." The mage frowns as he thinks, "Many smaller kingdoms in the federation have delusions of grandeur, but as for someone styling themselves as emperor, it's either Lord Dunscon or someone who would have had to defeat him." He looks at the screen, watching the images. "Sir Ronith has a strong connection with the Norse pantheon, I've heard him ramble on about Odin before. I can't see Lord Dunscon willing to worship anyone, maybe he has been beaten here too."

When Daisuke mentions smuggling, Grant adds, "I had wanted to be a merchant myself before joining Heroes for Hire. In a magic friendly territory, what would be considered contraband? The question would be are the darker types of magic: necromancy, biowizardry and the like outlawed or welcomed?"

When the others return from their scouting mission, Grant shares what he's learned. He nods as Sir Ronith confirms Lord Dunscon isn't the emperor. "We still don't know who this person is though." He retrieves his insectoid-like Lord Magi type. Holding it out, he says, "Here, it may not due to be seen as lacking magic. Let's proceed to the Collegiate Arcane and find out what has happened to the nexus here."

Grant exits the Haven with his pistol and blade at his belt, helmet under his arm and walks the short distance towards the missing nexus.

What's wrong with the nexus?
Lore: Magic 129% vs 1d100: [15] = 15
Lore: Geomancy & Ley Lines 104% vs 1d100: [58] = 58
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record
Info
M.D.C.: 97/[color=#FF00000]97[/color] • P.P.E.: 656/656 • I.S.P.: 94/94 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 89% | 100mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 99% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 1500mi • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Keiko »

Perception: 1d100: [12] = 12 /45%
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 ; 1d100: [65] = 65
Active Effects
Daisuke wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:36 pm
A mischievous gleam flashes across Daisuke's face and he holds one of the expired kernels aloft in his hand.

"Are you certain?" he asks, a quixotic mask failing horribly to conceal what seems to be an inner snicker. "Try it my friend, how can you be certain unless you try?" Then with or without permission, Daisuke tosses the kernel toward Keiko's face, seemingly hoping that her natural cat-like reflexes will cause her to inadvertently consume the stale morsel.
Keiko simply tilts her head to the side and lets the stale kernel fly over her shoulder. She looks at Daisuke with a light smile and wags a finger at him, "Now, Now. That's no way to ask a lady to try something. I'm sure you can be more subtle then that." Not sure what he was going for there. Did he think I would try to eat it just because it was thrown at me? Nah...can't be that...Could it?...Enh too much thought.
Daisuke wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:36 pm "I must admit... I am not familiar with your... magical mumbo jumbo." Daisuke states, wiggling his fingers to represent magical invocation in what some may perceive to be a mocking manner. "What I do know is what I smell."

Taking a moment for dramatic effect, he sniffs the air and nods in affirmation, "Yes, my friends... I smell..."

"Opportunity for profit!"

Tapping his temple, he elaborates, "Imagine... an entire DIMENSION ripe for the pickings! And when we are finished... poof! Magic finger waggle our way back home... with all the wealth!"

The manic look on the Arismal's face suggests that he has a half-baked plan at best and seems to be ignoring the possibility of repercussions in the face of imagined unforeseen riches.
Keiko smirks at his overly boisterous antics. She gives a small chuckle, "Well, you're not wrong. Lots of places out there with lots of different kinds of treasure." Keiko looks slyly at Daisuke, her voice like honey, "But you have to know where to go first." Keiko grins as she might know more then she's letting on regarding interdimensional raiding.

Keiko turns to Grant as he comes back into the room. "If the Federation won, then why is the nexus gone? Think it could have been some kind of massive ritual or something like that? Anyway I'm kind of going stir crazy here. Think it would be good for me to tag a long to the college?" Keiko poses the question but is fully ready for people to insist she stay in the building. As they still have not gotten a grasp on the non-human situation out there.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
Do not PM this Account. Please direct all PMs to Sum of All Fears
User avatar
Daisuke
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Daisuke »

((rolls carried over))
Grant Latham wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:23 am"Many smaller kingdoms in the federation have delusions of grandeur, but as for someone styling themselves as emperor, it's either Lord Dunscon or someone who would have had to defeat him." He looks at the screen, watching the images. "Sir Ronith has a strong connection with the Norse pantheon, I've heard him ramble on about Odin before. I can't see Lord Dunscon willing to worship anyone, maybe he has been beaten here too."
"I do not know this Lord Dunscon, but I agree that the title seems inadequate in comparison to "Grand Emperor". Someone who has beaten and consolidated all the power on this continent outside of the Coalition... but in the name of Odin." A slight snicker escapes Daisuke's mouth, "What if the "Grand Emperor" is super-charged evil Sir Ronith?! Wouldn't that be amusing?"
Grant Latham wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:23 amWhen Daisuke mentions smuggling, Grant adds, "I had wanted to be a merchant myself before joining Heroes for Hire. In a magic friendly territory, what would be considered contraband? The question would be are the darker types of magic: necromancy, biowizardry and the like outlawed or welcomed?"
"Yes, a smuggler is but a humble merchant moving goods the local authorities have deemed... unacceptable. You have the mind and talent for this. We must find what is outlawed and become the supplier. That is the road to riches!" Daisuke agrees heartily.
Keiko wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:24 pmKeiko smirks at his overly boisterous antics. She gives a small chuckle, "Well, you're not wrong. Lots of places out there with lots of different kinds of treasure." Keiko looks slyly at Daisuke, her voice like honey, "But you have to know where to go first." Keiko grins as she might know more then she's letting on regarding interdimensional raiding.
"Ho ho ho, spoken like someone with both knowledge AND a grand idea." Daisuke titters, matching Keiko's tone of innuendo and tapping his temple thoughtfully.

"Yes! Tell us all where to go, what to seek so that we may all swim in the kind of wealth found only in the happiest of dreams." the Arismal declares, gesturing grandly and flashing the felinoid a broad smile.

Inwardly, the discourse rages on within Daisuke's mind.
I am not certain Keiko knows more about this place than we do. Not much time has passed since our arrival. Daisuke thinks at Kondo, challenging the bravado.

How can you say that?! Do you have no faith or trust in your traveling companions? Tsk tsk tsk. Have faith!

What? No, this isn't a question of faith in people. But rather analytical of our situation and odds. Anyway, we should pay more attention to what the others are speculating about this dimension?

I hope you are correct and this Grand Emperor is evil Sir Ronith.

...
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
Posts: 433
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Virtus »

Day 1, 112PA
Time: 11:00am
Weather: 60F, light clouds, strong SE wind.
Magic: little within sensible distance.
Radio traffic: heavy
Daisuke continues to watch TV and listen to the radio. Much of it seems very similar to what he is familiar with, with perhaps more marketing for merc gear. He does notice an interesting show, depicting Omega Guard, which appears to be a buddy cop movie, with the villain as spies from Atlantis. In restrictive environments, smuggling is often lucrative, if not dangerous.

As Ronith and Ashlynn prepare to leave for the College, Barracuda pries for just a little more info and asks "So, I've only ever called him 'The Emperor', but Emperor what? What's his name?". To which the man replies, "Why, the Grand Emperor Ronith Turand of course!! Servant of Odin!"

Ronith, Ashlynn and Barracuda arrive at the College. It appears to be a military academy of some type now. Everyone here is wearing what looks to be some cadet style Omega uniforms. Practically all of the people here are in their mid teens, and there are many. Towering in the skyline from this vantage is a strange techno-volcano like structure of which no one is familiar.

Grant travels to the nexus, but as he approaches, he instantly notices a major difference. Ahead, looks like a military fortification not unlike the wall into Merctown. Within the wall stands a structure likely 200 feet tall, that looks vaguely like a technological volcano. Due to his unique nature, Grant can see magic energy flowing or perhaps being pulled into the feature. Grant is still a thousand feet back, but it does seem to be a high security area.

Keiko remains at the Haven, but watching through windows, it looks not dissimilar to what she knows.

((If you want to investigate the structure or the college more than just general knowledge, include any skill rolls you would like to apply))
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Barracuda »

Perception: 1d100: [9] = 9 /46% (61% underwater)
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [53] = 53

"Emperor Turand, such a cool name! Thanks man!" Barracuda turns around quickly and huddles with Ronith and Ash. "I don't know if you overheard, but the Emperor is Ronith Turand. Where. Are. We. Or when are we?"

Is it Evil Ronith? Maybe he has an easy way for us to head back home? I doubt it. It's probably Evil Ronith. Damn.

Barracuda looks around the college grounds for any areas that are not off-limits to get a better feel for what has taken place. He watches as people mill about, paying attention to their clothing choices, how they greet each other, and any other obvious culture changes from his MercTown.

Mythology-- 1d100: [42] = 42 /60% - to observe Odin's influence on the structures and culture.
History: Pre-Rifts-- 1d100: [19] = 19 /56% - to observe differences between this culture, his home dimension and his adopted home of MercTown.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
Ledger
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Grant Latham »

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100: [62] = 62
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 , 1d100: [76] = 76
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 76/94
  • P.P.E.: 656/656
  • Lord Magus Armor • Main Body: 50/50 Head: 45/45 Arms: 15/15 Legs:30/30
Examine the structure:
Lore: Magic (General) 129% vs 1d100: [60] = 60
Lore: Magic (Recognize Runes) 119% vs 1d100: [39] = 39
Lore: Magic (Enchantment) 100% vs 1d100: [20] = 20
Lore: Magic Identify Magic Items 99% vs 1d100: [5] = 5
Lore Geomancy & Ley Lines 104% vs 1d100: [92] = 92
Sense Ley Line 89% vs 1d100: [53] = 53
Sense Ley Line Nexus 99% vs 1d100: [87] = 87

Interacting with people:
Anthropology 54% vs 1d100: [99] = 99 | Nope.
Intelligence 67% vs 1d100: [90] = 90 | Nope, nope.
Invoke Trust 60% vs 1d100: [97] = 97 | Seriously nope
Charm/Impress 60% vs 1d100: [85] = 85 | LOL
OOC Comments
It seems like Grant may have gotten impatient and left before Ashlynn, Corwin, and Sir Ronith returned based on Virtus' post. It's cool with me if Daisuke came with Grant.
Grant's rapid pace towards the nexus slows as he starts noticing the ever increasing details that are different from his own memory. This structure is not unlike the pyramids at Dweomer and Lazlo, it's harnessing the energy of the ley line and nexus, but to a much greater extent; dampening the line to almost nothing. The lines, they must be sad to be used in such a manner. He casts Farseeing (MA 9 | PPE 3 | 10 min | Read license plate up to 2 miles away) to examine the structure for any symbols and runes. He begins walking again towards the towering structure trying to sense the ley line he should be walking within. I will need to teach Keiko how to cast Mask of Deceit at some point, I am sure she'd want to see this place as well.

He ducks into an alley to be unobserved for a moment and casts Charismatic Aura (BOM 99 | 10 PPE | 60' radius | Save vs Magic 15+ | 15 min | +8 P.B. Friendship/Trust/Success Full Deception 80%). Stepping back out he looks for someone who has just exited the military fortification, he plants himself awkwardly in front of the person trying to get his/her attention. "Hello, uh, friend, I am new to town. I've read in an old journal that there is a mage guild in this town. Is this the right place? Whom must I speak with to gain access?"
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record
Info
M.D.C.: 97/[color=#FF00000]97[/color] • P.P.E.: 656/656 • I.S.P.: 94/94 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 89% | 100mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 99% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 1500mi • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Daisuke
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Twenty Five or Six to Four

Post by Daisuke »

-----------------------------------
Perception: d%: [13] = 13 | 88%
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 | d%: [68] = 68 %
-----------------------------------
Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Swallowing Limbo [400lbs nonliving] (0/4 people)
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs each slot] (2/4)
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs each slot] (1/2)

  • HP/MDC: 70/70
    SDC: 211/211
    PPE: 13/13
TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45
  • Arms: 40 each
  • Legs: 45 each
  • Main Body: 100

Weight: 25 lbs.
Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Triples wearer's speed, fatigue reduced to 20% usual rate
  • Increase leap ability by 50%
  • Infrared & thermal masking

Book Reference: Kraus Imported Arms


NG Bush Pilot Armored Jumpsuit
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Flight Helmet: 35
  • Arms: 9 each
  • Legs: 20 each
  • Main Body: 25

Weight: 6 lbs.
Modifiers: None
Features:
  • Flight helmet includes built-in radio and nightvision goggles

Book Reference: p.77-78, WB33

Wilk's 1000 Pulse Laser Cannon
Image
  • Range: 3000'
  • Damage: 5D6+3 M.D. per shot or 3D4x10 M.D. per 3-pulse burst
  • Rate of Fire: Single shots or 3-pulse bursts only
  • Payload: 240 shots with a portable generator
  • Weight: 40 lbs.; portable generator weighs 70 lbs.
  • Features: W.P. Heavy M.D. Weapons; Generator recharges at 8 shots per hour; 1 hour to charge when connected to nuclear power supply
  • Modifiers: None
  • Book Reference: p.104, MercOps

Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 28% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +7 (+1)
Magic (varies): +7 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +10 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +15 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +7 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +7 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +16
Psionics (12+): +7
Horror Factor: +12
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +13 (+6)
Conditions
  • 6.00 min. Enhanced Leaping, Heightened Sense of Hearing, Heightened Sense of Awareness, Heightened Sense of Balance, Climbing 90%
Virtus wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:35 pmDaisuke continues to watch TV and listen to the radio. Much of it seems very similar to what he is familiar with, with perhaps more marketing for merc gear. He does notice an interesting show, depicting Omega Guard, which appears to be a buddy cop movie, with the villain as spies from Atlantis.
"Ho ho ho, THIS is the show to watch!" Daisuke bellows in an excited laugh (mostly to himself). Adopting a deep voice, he (poorly) imitates the voiceover, "Omega Guard: Paducah Nights, dun dun DUN!"

The Arismal leans back in the sofa and delivers a few shadow punches into the air in excitement while his legs flail about like a child in the midst of a tantrum.

Actually, I think I am in agreement with you on this one. Though popular-media like this can often exaggerate unrealistically, it will likely put an upper-limit to the sorts of powers these Omega Guards can wield. We would do well to study this show for clues on what their over-arching purpose is, what powers they bring to bear, and how they view not only their purported enemies, but also how they treat innocent civilians in their combat against evil forces.

Whether Kondo is leaning on their multi-tasking brain to reflect on something else or simply uninterested in the analysis, the internal dialogue makes a hard 90 degree turn.

I REALLY like their STYLE! We need to make it a priority to obtain some of those Omega Guard outfits!

It would be interesting to assess whether their armor is conventional, magical, techno-wizard or other. I agree that if we have the opportunity, we could benefit from procurement of something exotic.

And those Omega tattoos! Can you imagine a giant Omega symbol emblazoned on evil Sir Ronith's chest? Classic!

...

Daisuke continues to watch the show (while still listening in on the radio with his multi-tasking mind), trying to pay special attention to the portrayed abilities (and weaknesses) of the Omega Guards and the powers of the Atlantean spies they hunt. Not having much experience fighting Atlantean forces, the Arismal can't discern fact from fiction, but can commit the information to memory for discussion with the others about its veracity.

Should Daisuke feel his alertness ((Copy Animal Attribute: Squirrel)) fade, he will repeat the effort of summoning a squirrel, copying its abilities and releasing it into the ether once more.
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5 , 1d100: [28] = 28
PER: 1d100: [67] = 67 vs. 94%

Conditions:
140ft. area, 24m00s, can track supernatural evil and pinpoint number of sources (1, 2-6, 7-14, 15+)


Virtus wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:35 pm"Why, the Grand Emperor Ronith Turand of course!! Servant of Odin!"
Of course. Ronith thinks drolly. Apparently not egoism, or at least not entirely. When Barracuda rejoins them, Ronith nods at the prince’s summary and says ”Let’s get out of here.” After a brief survey of the collegiate, Ronith concludes that there isn’t much of anything that’s worth breaking in. I could impersonate myself, pull rank and try to gain entry. But that’s a trick that will only work once, and it will eventually alert my alternate to our presence if it the news works its way up the chain of command. Which it almost certainly will. Best to save that card for when we truly need it.” Turning to the others, Ronith says ”I don’t think there’s anything here that’s worth the risk of trying to break in. If what the priest said is true, most all of the mages in the area- maybe the continent- are likely co-opted. At this point, we may need to consider reaching out to other enclaves- if Lazlo or Psyscape has even managed to survive. It doesn’t sound like Dweomer did.” The Quebecqois sure as Hel can’t and won’t do anything about it. Gods, Odin, please tell me we shall not have to seek the aid of the Splugorth. ”We need to regroup with Grant and the others, and consider our next move.”
Grant Latham wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:23 am"We still don't know who this person is though."
Whenever Ronith can rejoin the full team, Ronith will reply wryly. ”Apparently, this ‘Grand Emperor’ is me. Before I came to MercTown and founded Heroes for Hire, I fought in the Tolkeen war. It… is not an experience I care to revisit.” He suppresses a shudder. ”In this reality, something claiming to be Odin intervened, and my alternate led the forces of Tolkeen in a stunning reversal of fortune. Now, he leads an empire that has claimed most of the eastern half of the continent. These troops we’re seeing are drawn from the ranks of mages, cyber-knights, and mercenaries that joined him during the war. I don’t like it. It’s too much, too fast, and to inspire this kind of slavish devotion so quickly isn’t Odin’s style. I fear that something else is playing games- despite their appearance of righteousness, I think we should try to avoid the troopers for the time being. We find out what we can locally, but we may need to start thinking about trying somewhere else for help.” When Grant goes to make his play at the nexus, Ronith nods him forward but stays back, activating sense evil ((-2 ISP)) and keeping an eye out for trouble. He’ll also be on the lookout for any vehicles large enough to carry the team, that they could steal, but for now all he’ll do is watch and try to avoid attracting any notice.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent)
| BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
ISP- 67/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 0/4. Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (1/3); Cleanse (3/3)
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
Posts: 433
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Virtus »

Day 1, 112PA
Time: 12:00pm
Weather: 60F, light clouds, strong SE wind.
Magic: little within sensible distance.
Radio traffic: heavy
Barracuda looks around the grounds of the college for areas that seem to be accessible. Traveling around the perimeter, he finds an area cordoned off with large pavilions. There are several Omega Guard in here, large TVs and promotional material. It appears to be a recruiting station. There are flyers as well as applications. Ashlynn sees the same thing.
OOC Comments
Image
Grant spots a couple of students leaving the college and approaches them as to how to gain access. A woman points Grant towards the recruiting tents. If he travels there, he finds the same display that Barracuda sees. There are applications available and a friendly Omega Guard recruiter. IF Grants gets close or makes eye contact at all, the recruiter engages him instantly. "Now YOU look like someone ready to serve! Just look at you. You're the picture of a master of the arcane, are you not? Depending on your proclivity, I'm sure you could get an officer commission. MUCH higher pay and better food." he adds, saying the last part quietly away from the other potential recruits filling out paperwork. "If you're not sure, we have a demonstration of the swearing in this afternoon so you can see what it's like. No obligation. Free meal and an evening at the hotel of your choice here in Merctown. You'll also receive 500 credits for your time."

Using his farseeing, Grant can see runes on the large structure. It's hard to read all of it but this is what he can take away (assuming Grant can read runes). He gets the gut feeling however that this structure relates directly to the subdued magic energy and may even be inhibiting dimensional travel or even teleportation.
OOC Comments
The runes seem to repeat on a massive scale, absorbing and storing PPE on a scale he has neither seen nor heard of. There also seem to be runes related to transdimentional properties, but how they relate is not clear from the construction.
Daisuke gleans from the show that for the most part they seem to only possess traits common to the average person, though outfitted with cutting edge tech. The cranky sergeant , who constantly busts their chops does seem to possess unnatural strength. While it's not unheard of to see people with supernatural strength, there is also a chance it could be purely for comedic effect. Though from what Daisuke sees, the actor probably possesses the strength to save the film production on special effects. One episode with a particularly attractive Omega Knight is something completely different. She seems to exhibit immunity to energy weapons, vast psionic capabilities, advanced techniques against technology (much like Ronith), magic, teleportation and a host of other capabilities. Truly she seems like a combination of Cyber Knight and Mystic knight.

Ronith senses evil, of which there is certainly some around. Of course that isn't unusual even from his own world. For better or worse however, this Merctown is more orderly than his own. There are buses and cargo vehicles of a commercial nature that could easily transport everyone. There are APCs, which clearly are converted Coalition equipment that would also work, but parked near Guardsmen.

Ashlynn in her general observations gets the impression that the Emperor is not located in Merctown, but that it has its own regent who is under the Emperor. He seems to reside in a place they call Valhalla, which from brief conversations with locals might be either a renamed Dweomer or City of Brass, but definitely a hidden location to the east of Merctown.
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 , 1d100: [91] = 91
PER: 1d100: [14] = 14 vs. 94%

Ronith keeps his distance from the various Omega Knights and other stormtroopers in the area of the college. No sense in risking one of them recognizing me. After noting the location of a few of the (less well-defended) vehicles capable of transporting the team, Ronith just continues to walk through the area- his strides purposeful but small so that he always looks to be headed somewhere important, while taking his time actually getting anywhere. He’ll try to keep a low profile without being too obvious about it, and idly take to searching the area for the source(s) of the evil he senses. Ronith doesn’t expect that he’ll be able to pinpoint the source before the impression fades, but it gives him something to do while the others investigate the actual people around. Once the team is finished, Ronith will signal the rendezvous and start with a sigh. ”I’m not sure we’re going to be able to figure this one out on our own. Do we try for Dweomer, failing that Lazlo? Assuming either still exists.”
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent)
| BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
ISP- 67/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 0/4. Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (1/3); Cleanse (3/3)
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Grant Latham »

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100: [89] = 89
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 , 1d100: [69] = 69
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 76/94
  • P.P.E.: 656/656
  • Lord Magus Armor • Main Body: 50/50 Head: 45/45 Arms: 15/15 Legs:30/30
Grant's distraction at looking at the volcano like structure causes him to bumble a bit as he talks to the students. He takes some time to memorize the patterns of runes, trusting that later his ability to recover the memory of written text (Total Recall) will allow him to duplicate what he's seeing. I haven't seen rune combinations like this before, this structure may actually block dimension travel. This would be superb protection against attacks by the Splugorth or other supernatural beings. It will also make leaving this place difficult as well. He looks towards where the students are pointing. "Oh, I see. Those tents you say, thank you," Grant says as he turns his attention back to the structure for another minute or two.

He walks down and bumps into one of the recruiters giving the man the opportunity to give his speal. He waves off the flattery, "I have dabbled a bit in the arcane arts that is true, but I am a traveler, new to this place. I'm from the south west, near Houstown. We don't get much news about the east." He points up at the structure, "Tell me my friend, I can tell that there is strong magic at play here, what is this structure towering over us? I see many students, but you say that isn't enough, you are actively recruiting more for your, um, Omega Guard? Does the Omega guard have any allies with other magical kingdoms, or are they going it alone?" Grant looks at the recruiter with his inner eye (not actually casting See Aura), does he have a significant PPE pool? "Is it only those with arcane potential that you are recruiting or may anyone join?" He takes one of the proffered pamphlets. He glances through it looking for anything on what the Omega Guard actually 'guards' against. Who is the enemy? "I would like to see this swearing in ceremony. I hadn't planned to stay here more than a few days, but perhaps I can be convinced to stay longer." If asked for his name, he gives the name Kelex.

Once Grant has the time and location of the ceremony, he steps away walking further away from the Heroes Haven (as if he were continuing his walk). Once he's out of direct sight of the Collegiate Arcane (or whatever is called now), he turns and heads back to the Heroes Haven. When the team regroups, he says, "I've just returned from the Collegiate Arcane, there is a ceremony this afternoon for new recruits. I am going to attend to see what more I can find out. It's at [location] at [time]." If the invitation is open to anyone to view, he relays that as well. "I've given them a false name, Kelex. He's someone I worked with when performing my mandatory service for Dweomer. As far as the structure at the Collegiate Arcane, it does seem to have similar properties to a stone pyramid, but also may be dampening dimensional travel and teleportation. I am going to do a quick test before heading out to the ceremony." If Grant gained any info about whether Lazlo or Dweomer exist or are still independent city-states, he'll share that as well. Grant's preference would be to head to Dweomer if they don't appear to be compromised.

Inside the Heroes Haven, Grant will attempt to cast Mystic Portal to travel from one end of the building to the other to see if it still works correctly.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record
Info
M.D.C.: 97/[color=#FF00000]97[/color] • P.P.E.: 656/656 • I.S.P.: 94/94 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 89% | 100mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 99% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 1500mi • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Keiko »

Perception: 1d100: [94] = 94 /45%
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 ; 1d100: [63] = 63
Active Effects
Keiko keeps Daisuke company while the others are out. She's not really invested in the show he is watching, but having exhausted her efforts in the "Haven" and not knowing if she will be safe outside she is left with little options. She looks over at his reaction to the show, "We're always the bad guys. Well it makes for good entertainment." Keiko doesn't seem put out by the use of Atlantis as the antagonist of the show, she's merely commenting.

When everyone returns and shares what the learn, Keiko keeps a keen ear to the discussion. She stifles a laugh at the revelation of Ronith being the emperor. "Well I guess you do have the drive to lead. Its not that far fetched to think if you had the opportunity to see your vision of the future realized that you would take it. In fact, I would hazard a guess that the Ronith here is not too different you. He likely saw a chance to make his vision a reality, in spite of the dangers of what it would cost him, he did what he felt was right with what was offered to him and likely dismissed any potential consequences as a hurdle to be over come later. As far leaving it should be a simple matter for a Shifter to get us home." Keiko swares under her breath, "I knew I should have talked with the shifters at the College when I had the chance. Well this does solidify my future plans. I'm getting training from a Shifter when we get back. Then we can go any where the jobs take us. And get back home when others deside experiment with dimensional pockets without telling the rest of us." Keiko smiles warmly at Grant and Daisuke. She seems more upset that she was left out of the experiment then anything else. She looks back to Grant, "So this device on the ley line. It was hindering dimensional travel? I wonder if it's using the power of the ley line to effectively seal off an area from dimensional travel. If there are others at other nexuses then they could effectively control the access to this dimension...well...at least parts of it. I have to imagine this device covers at least the area of MercTown, so the fact that we got through should be a sign that there is a way home." Keiko thinks for a moment, "You know, the TV show has Atlantis as the antagonist, that means Atlantis exists here. It's always been a dimensional hub. Also likely it's not under control of your...other self...you know I don't really know what to call the other you. Anyway, if we can make it there, and not get sold into slavery while in Atlantis, then there is a fair shot at finding a way home." Keiko's tail twitches behind her betraying a little anxiety and maybe a little intrigue at seeing a different version of Atlantis. "Just an idea. The currency over there varies from money to people to favors." I wonder what it's like, I wonder if it's the same. Would the Atlantis here be the same one existing in multiple dimensions simultaneously? Oh I really have to try and visit...even if I have to come back myself.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
Do not PM this Account. Please direct all PMs to Sum of All Fears
User avatar
Daisuke
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Twenty Five or Six to Four

Post by Daisuke »

-----------------------------------
Perception: d%: [40] = 40 | 88%
JIC: 1d20: [3] = 3 | d%: [83] = 83 %
-----------------------------------
Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Swallowing Limbo [400lbs nonliving] (0/4 people)
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs each slot] (2/4)
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs each slot] (1/2)

  • HP/MDC: 70/70
    SDC: 211/211
    PPE: 13/13
TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45
  • Arms: 40 each
  • Legs: 45 each
  • Main Body: 100

Weight: 25 lbs.
Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Triples wearer's speed, fatigue reduced to 20% usual rate
  • Increase leap ability by 50%
  • Infrared & thermal masking

Book Reference: Kraus Imported Arms


NG Bush Pilot Armored Jumpsuit
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Flight Helmet: 35
  • Arms: 9 each
  • Legs: 20 each
  • Main Body: 25

Weight: 6 lbs.
Modifiers: None
Features:
  • Flight helmet includes built-in radio and nightvision goggles

Book Reference: p.77-78, WB33

Wilk's 1000 Pulse Laser Cannon
Image
  • Range: 3000'
  • Damage: 5D6+3 M.D. per shot or 3D4x10 M.D. per 3-pulse burst
  • Rate of Fire: Single shots or 3-pulse bursts only
  • Payload: 240 shots with a portable generator
  • Weight: 40 lbs.; portable generator weighs 70 lbs.
  • Features: W.P. Heavy M.D. Weapons; Generator recharges at 8 shots per hour; 1 hour to charge when connected to nuclear power supply
  • Modifiers: None
  • Book Reference: p.104, MercOps

Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 28% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +7 (+1)
Magic (varies): +7 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +10 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +15 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +7 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +7 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +16
Psionics (12+): +7
Horror Factor: +12
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +13 (+6)
Conditions
  • 6.00 min. Enhanced Leaping, Heightened Sense of Hearing, Heightened Sense of Awareness, Heightened Sense of Balance, Climbing 90%
Keiko wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:32 am"We're always the bad guys. Well it makes for good entertainment."
From his relaxed lounging position, Daisuke shoots Keiko a curious glance. "Atlantean?" he asks in clarification. Then waggles his eyebrows as he makes an attempt at humor. "Do you also have the dark sunglasses and matching skin-tight leotard?"
Ronith wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:22 am”Apparently, this ‘Grand Emperor’ is me. Before I came to MercTown and founded Heroes for Hire, I fought in the Tolkeen war. It… is not an experience I care to revisit.” He suppresses a shudder. ”In this reality, something claiming to be Odin intervened, and my alternate led the forces of Tolkeen in a stunning reversal of fortune. Now, he leads an empire that has claimed most of the eastern half of the continent. These troops we’re seeing are drawn from the ranks of mages, cyber-knights, and mercenaries that joined him during the war. I don’t like it. It’s too much, too fast, and to inspire this kind of slavish devotion so quickly isn’t Odin’s style. I fear that something else is playing games- despite their appearance of righteousness, I think we should try to avoid the troopers for the time being. We find out what we can locally, but we may need to start thinking about trying somewhere else for help.”
Daisuke's eyes go wide at Ronith's debrief. He begins to pace while absorbing the information. Within the recesses of his mind, Jekyll and Hyde engage in a lively debate.

Oh yeah! Omega Ronith is a reality here!!!

If that is true, then I believe an epic duel between Omega Ronith and Days of Distant Past Ronith may be in our future.

You should be careful what you wish for. Omega Ronith may be quite formidable in combat. He IS actively engaged in Ragnarok, everlasting combat for survival, after all. Besides, those Omega Knights appear to have quite the sizeable amount of power themselves.

I don't WANT them to engage in an epic duel. I am simply saying that the possibility exists. I would much prefer that the two of them avoid conflict altogether.

Or... Kondo concludes before voicing the rest of his thought aloud.

"Ronith, my friend," Daisuke begins all of a sudden, his voice dripping with honey. "Do you not see the vast opportunity before you?"

Gesturing at the elven cyberknight's chest, then away at the phantom direction of where Emperor Turand might be on his high perch, he lays the idea out more fully. "You are he. He is you. If you do not like how his empire is structured and being run, why can you not do the greatest amount of good by simply being a BETTER Emperor Turand? If you took his place, then you could mold this reality into a proper utopia." Greed is plastered all over Daisuke's face, "And if the rest of us stumble upon inordinate wealth and power, then so be it." He states then seemingly brushes it away with the sweeping of his hand.

"Unless... such nepotism already exists in this reality." Daisuke's gaze flashes over to Grant. "The television mentioned earlier a King of New Paducah. Don't know who that is... shouldn't be difficult to find out. But maybe in this reality, that King is Omega Grant!?! King Latham of New Paducah! We should make sure we ask around to find out. This could be an empire already built by ourselves in an alternate dimension. And everything could be already set up for us to take over and make it better!" Though his words demonstrate overt selfishness, Daisuke seems wholly unaware of how such words might affect members of Heroes for Hire and he speaks them with sincere earnestness.
Keiko wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:32 am"So this device on the ley line. It was hindering dimensional travel? I wonder if it's using the power of the ley line to effectively seal off an area from dimensional travel. If there are others at other nexuses then they could effectively control the access to this dimension...well...at least parts of it. I have to imagine this device covers at least the area of MercTown, so the fact that we got through should be a sign that there is a way home."
"Oh! Maybe King Latham, or Omega Grant has had such a device built in order to either siphon the dimensional energy for something important, or perhaps to prevent the arrival of some horrendously powerful entity that will spell the destruction of everything.... Ragnarok and all."

Regardless of whether his hare-brained ideas are accepted by the others, the Arismal is keen to get out on the streets with the other H4H members and find out more about this alternate reality (and how to best turn that knowledge into profit!)
User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Twenty Five or Six to Four

Post by Keiko »

**Rolls Held Over**
Daisuke wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:45 pm From his relaxed lounging position, Daisuke shoots Keiko a curious glance. "Atlantean?" he asks in clarification. Then waggles his eyebrows as he makes an attempt at humor. "Do you also have the dark sunglasses and matching skin-tight leotard?"
Keiko smirks, "Not natively, no. But I called it home for a while. It can be a fun place to be in. You do have to constantly be on guard for kidnaping and slavers, but once you know your way around its not a bad place." Keiko looks at her current attire then back to Daisuke, "Well skin tight is a little different for me. My fur tends to get in the way with certain clothes. Why you think it would look good one me?" Keiko clasps her hands behind her, leans forward and rocks back and forth when asking the question. She grins as she returns to normal and sits back down.

When Daisuke mentions taking the places of the others. Keiko giggles but waits for him to finish before replying, "Daisuke, the idea has merit but your plan is terrible. If we were to do something like that you would need more information on your targets. Not just their schedules, but the mannerisms, differences in habits from our people to theirs. If they replaced their others they wouldn't be able to be a completely different person. That would negate any progress we would make and cause the loss of any current supporters of the others you want to be taking the place of. We would need to act like them and slow introduce changes in a natural way. Thus not raising any suspicions that we are not who we claim to be." Keiko speaks as someone with experience with taking over a different dimension. Or at least pretending to be someone else. Through it all, Keiko's sweet smile never leaves her face.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
Do not PM this Account. Please direct all PMs to Sum of All Fears
User avatar
Virtus
Game Master
Posts: 433
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:33 am

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Virtus »

Ronith examines the area for evil, the most likely of which may be one of the recruiters or students at the college. Nothing immediately jumps out at you, but it seems to be the most reasonable conclusion.

Grant makes his way to the tents and asks about the structure. The recruiter looks as well with what might be foreboding. "Those are one of Odin's wells. Many have been built. Supposedly it is keeping Ragnarok at bay. It subdues the ley lines so that none but Odin and his servant the Emperor can access the power. There are dozens of them across the lands, each one protecting a given area. As the Emperor liberates new lands, he builds new wells to protect the expanded area. It does mostly prevent the average person from accessing it however, but those blessed by the Emperor can still access it, such as the guard to a degree and more importantly the knights.

The Emperor has united most of the magical kingdoms under his protection. Lazlo still resists as does Atlantis, which is why we need recruits. Servants of chaos to the south is another front. The Vampire threat has been permitted too long. The Emperor says that the south will finally be returned to civility by the end of the year, which is where you come in. If we each do our part, we can win Ragnarok and secure our futures! Anyone can join the Guard, but if you have magic or other abilities you're a better candidate to join the Vanguard or the Omega Knights."


He hands Grant a flyer. "The practice intake will be tonight. Food and drinks are provided! Hope to you see you there. You look like a soldier we could use!" the recruiter says, laying it on thick.

If Daisuke decides to prod about, looking for more info on the King of Merctown.
OOC Comments
The King of Merctown is newly titled. The previous ruler was part of a rebellion against the Emperor. After his demise, Corwin became Lord of the River, King of Merctown. Apparently he is a close confidant of the Emperor. Since becoming king of Merctown, he's rooted out rebels in and around New Paducah. His campaign has been successful.
Keiko ponders on the restrictions and possibilities to get out of here. It seems likely to her that whatever is subduing the magic to likely not be an issue in Atlantis. It's quite possible that there are other areas outside of the Emperor's control.

To Ronith there are several possibilites that are realistic. He might be able to speak to the Emperor, using their duality to his advantage. Escaping the empire to then find a shifter to get back home. Join one side or the other and make this place home. Join the Guard to get access to magic. There are many others, but these are a few of the possibilities that enter his mind.
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Barracuda »

Perception: 1d100: [10] = 10 /46% (61% underwater)
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [35] = 35

When Ronith decides to meet back up with the team, Barracuda is right behind him. "OK, this is not good. Both the existence of a universe where our fearless leader fearlessly leads a monoculture that's trying to take over the country and the part where we're stuck here. Maybe we can try to find a map or a history book or something. Oh wait, history is written by the victor. It's gonna be all Omega-y." We can try to magic our way out of it or maybe it's not actually all bad and we'd get along with Emperor Ronith. Make an interdimensional friend. "I don't know Dweomer from Lazlo. Whichever you magic folks think will get us home." I wonder what I'm like here. Maybe I decided to stay in Atlantis or something. Or maybe I'm dead. I'm probably just dead.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
Ledger
User avatar
Daisuke
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Twenty Five or Six to Four

Post by Daisuke »

-----------------------------------
Perception: d%: [12] = 12 | 88%
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 | d%: [58] = 58 %
-----------------------------------
Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Swallowing Limbo [400lbs nonliving] (0/4 people)
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
  • Instant Wardrobe [40lbs each slot] (2/4)
  • Instant Weapon [90lbs each slot] (2/2)
    • Wilks 1000 Pulse Laser Cannon
      • x2 NG-S2 Basic Survival Pack (10 lbs each, 20 lbs total)
      • x5 All-in-One Utility Belt filled with assorted MREs, assuming 5 MREs per belt (5 lbs each, 25 lbs total)
      • x1 Overland Harness and Frame Backpack filled with x10 Standard First Aid Kits (45 lbs total)

  • HP/MDC: 70/70
    SDC: 211/211
    PPE: 13/13
TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45
  • Arms: 40 each
  • Legs: 45 each
  • Main Body: 100

Weight: 25 lbs.
Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Triples wearer's speed, fatigue reduced to 20% usual rate
  • Increase leap ability by 50%
  • Infrared & thermal masking

Book Reference: Kraus Imported Arms


NG Bush Pilot Armored Jumpsuit
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Flight Helmet: 35
  • Arms: 9 each
  • Legs: 20 each
  • Main Body: 25

Weight: 6 lbs.
Modifiers: None
Features:
  • Flight helmet includes built-in radio and nightvision goggles

Book Reference: p.77-78, WB33

Wilk's 1000 Pulse Laser Cannon
Image
  • Range: 3000'
  • Damage: 5D6+3 M.D. per shot or 3D4x10 M.D. per 3-pulse burst
  • Rate of Fire: Single shots or 3-pulse bursts only
  • Payload: 240 shots with a portable generator
  • Weight: 40 lbs.; portable generator weighs 70 lbs.
  • Features: W.P. Heavy M.D. Weapons; Generator recharges at 8 shots per hour; 1 hour to charge when connected to nuclear power supply
  • Modifiers: None
  • Book Reference: p.104, MercOps

Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 28% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +7 (+1)
Magic (varies): +7 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +10 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +15 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +7 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +7 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +16
Psionics (12+): +7
Horror Factor: +12
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +13 (+6)
Conditions
  • Enhanced Leaping, Heightened Sense of Hearing, Heightened Sense of Awareness, Heightened Sense of Balance, Climbing 90%
Keiko wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:40 am"Daisuke, the idea has merit but your plan is terrible. If we were to do something like that you would need more information on your targets. Not just their schedules, but the mannerisms, differences in habits from our people to theirs. If they replaced their others they wouldn't be able to be a completely different person. That would negate any progress we would make and cause the loss of any current supporters of the others you want to be taking the place of. We would need to act like them and slow introduce changes in a natural way. Thus not raising any suspicions that we are not who we claim to be."
"Yes!" Daisuke exclaims with enthusiasm, nodding furiously, "It is a terrible plan! That is why we need your expertise to guide us. Please, tell us how this can be done! No suspicions, only wealth and power!"

When Daisuke feels his squirrel-based awareness fade, he will re-summon the furry companion, keeping it affixed on his shoulder by feeding it scraps and continue to copy its abilities.
Virtus wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:13 pmThe King of Merctown is newly titled. The previous ruler was part of a rebellion against the Emperor. After his demise, Corwin became Lord of the River, King of Merctown. Apparently he is a close confidant of the Emperor. Since becoming king of Merctown, he's rooted out rebels in and around New Paducah. His campaign has been successful.
Daisuke's mouth drops open when his research comes across this delectable nugget. He looks around with a crazed frenzy for someone to share the information with.

Omega Corwin is King of Merctown. Barracuda's Omega form is a rebel-slaying bad-ass!

That would complicate your plans for us to replace them...

Hmm, how so?

Presumably a duplicate body-swap plan is contingent upon simultaneous replacement of the individuals in question, otherwise the ones remaining may notice discrepancies.... Wait, why am I even remotely entertaining this wretched idea?!

Kondo relishes a moment in the delicious tension his lack of a reply creates in the silence.

Then, still in control, he flips on the team comms. Happily sharing the intel.

"Good news! Omega Corwin is Lord of the River, KING of MercTown! And he is close friends with Emperor Omega Ronith, and has recently successfully rooted out rebels in and around the city." Daisuke grins to himself, leaving it to others to speculate whether the news he bears is in fact "Good".
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 , 1d100: [63] = 63
PER: 1d100: [62] = 62 vs. 94%

As the team regroups, Ronith ponders the information everyone has gathered, as well as their suggestions for a way forward.
Keiko wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:32 am"Well I guess you do have the drive to lead. Its not that far fetched to think if you had the opportunity to see your vision of the future realized that you would take it. In fact, I would hazard a guess that the Ronith here is not too different you. He likely saw a chance to make his vision a reality, in spite of the dangers of what it would cost him, he did what he felt was right with what was offered to him and likely dismissed any potential consequences as a hurdle to be over come later. As far leaving it should be a simple matter for a Shifter to get us home."
Ronith smiles. ”Not in Tolkeen I didn’t. The war and the cyber-knight schism nearly broke me, and for a year or two I found solace in the bottle. It was only upon coming to MercTown that I was able to begin finding myself again. I still can’t help but think there is something else pulling the strings here. Something that is only pretending to be Odin. Whatever it is they’ve done to the ley lines in this ‘empire’, it is unlike anything I have ever seen. While it's possible some sort of fundamental law of magic or science is different in this reality, to my mind that further my suspicions that something deific is involved.” Or worse.
Daisuke wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:45 pm"Ronith, my friend," Daisuke begins all of a sudden, his voice dripping with honey. "Do you not see the vast opportunity before you... You are he. He is you. If you do not like how his empire is structured and being run, why can you not do the greatest amount of good by simply being a BETTER Emperor Turand? If you took his place, then you could mold this reality into a proper utopia... And if the rest of us stumble upon inordinate wealth and power, then so be it." He states then seemingly brushes it away with the sweeping of his hand.
Ronith pauses. Utopia is tempting. But something is definitely wrong with Daisuke. He was never this concerned with personal profit before. A younger Ronith might have given into the temptation- to use any means at his disposal to force a paradise on the world. But this Ronith lived through a dark age. He saw his fair share of authoritarians come and go- each with big plans and even bigger promises. The problem is, they never last. So he shakes his head and replies. ”Absolute rule and an ends-justify-the-means attitude can only end with tragedy, or worse. More to the point, I sincerely doubt that whoever is behind this ‘emperor’ would simply allow us to replace him. Even if we could successfully deceive his subordinates, our world needs us much more than the denizens of this one. If nothing else, my doppelganger appears to be successfully managing the random rifts.”
Daisuke wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:18 am"Good news! Omega Corwin is Lord of the River, KING of MercTown! And he is close friends with Emperor Omega Ronith, and has recently successfully rooted out rebels in and around the city."
Ronith smiles at the joke. So Barracuda and I managed to find each other here, too. Curious. I wonder how much of the rest of the team has risen to prominence in this ‘empire.’ I suppose we should be thankful that no-one on the streets has recognized any of us. Having weighed the options, Ronith comes to a decision and lays it out for the team.

Turning to Keiko Ronith says ”The Splugorth certainly have the expertise to assist us in this matter, but to be frank I wouldn’t put it past them to just rift us to a slave world and try to hold us there. Then there’s the fact that approaching Atlantis by sea is a dicey proposition at best. I think that this option is best saved as a last resort.”

”We’ve heard no mention of Dweomer- it could have been annihilated or incorporated, or it could be that the city is just as adept at concealing itself in this timeline as it is in ours. In any event, I think that its relative proximity to MercTown makes it as good a choice as any. If the city is still free, it could be a useful opportunity to rest and learn more about this timeline without fear of discovery. If it is not, well, that will also tell us something about my double’s intentions. And nothing good. ”The city is more or less on the way to Lazlo, which as it stands likely offers us the best chance at getting home from North America. I suggest we make our way there by way of Dweomer- we use the opportunity to keep a low profile and learn more. If nothing else, I would hope that we could prevail upon the mages at Lazlo to rift us to Atlantis, should all else fail. Alternatively, as we learn more we may be able to put together a feasible plan to take advantage of some of our… similarities, but I would like to know more about this emperor and his Omega Knights before we commit to that.” Turning to Grant, Ronith says ”Do you think there is value in attending this ceremony? I suspect that they will have little information for us beyond propaganda, but we can scope it out if you think it’s worth it. But be careful- the near-universal religious fervor with which these people regard their government is quite unsettling, and I wouldn’t put it past them to use some hex or poison to get new recruits. Otherwise, I think we should quit pushing our luck, get some sort of transport, and get out of MercTown while we still can.”
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent)
| BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
ISP- 67/91; PPE- 47/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 0/4. Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (1/3); Cleanse (3/3)
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Grant Latham »

New Perception: 78% vs 1d100: [76] = 76
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 , 1d100: [56] = 56
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • Sense Ley Line: 89%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 99%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 150mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 97/97
  • I.S.P.: 76/94
  • P.P.E.: 656/656
  • Lord Magus Armor • Main Body: 50/50 Head: 45/45 Arms: 15/15 Legs:30/30
With the recruiter:

Odin's wells? And they are all over the place? Grant help but let a frown slip out for a moment and his eyes drop. Those poor lines trapped, unable to share. Do I ask how much of a lay line each of these 'wells' control? No, I will just need to find out on my own. Realizing his expression, Grant's eyes pop up and catching up on the conversation, says, "Yes, the vampire scourge is a never ending problem. Letting even one escape, just causes a new nest to appear."

When the recruiter mentions the Vanguard and Omega Knights for those who are capable of magic, Grant asks, "The Emperor has two magical defense forces? What is the difference between these Vanguard and Omega Knights? Do they serve different roles in preventing Ragnorak?"

Grant asks no further questions, and smiles at the recruiter when he is handed the flyer. "Thank you, I will make the effort to see the intake ceremony tonight. The threat you've described must not be allowed to happen."

On the way back to the Haven, Grant tries to see if he can Ley Line phase with the dampening effect of Odin's well in place. Walking back, he ponders. Denying supernatural creatures access to the ley lines is a solid defense in keeping people safe. But I am not sure if the cost is worth it. These ley lines deserve to be free. I will have to find a way to destroy these wells if this threat of Ragnarok isn't real.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record
Info
M.D.C.: 97/[color=#FF00000]97[/color] • P.P.E.: 656/656 • I.S.P.: 94/94 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 89% | 100mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 99% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 1500mi • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Keiko »

Perception: 1d100: [30] = 30 /45%
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 ; 1d100: [18] = 18
Active Effects
Daisuke wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:18 am "Good news! Omega Corwin is Lord of the River, KING of MercTown! And he is close friends with Emperor Omega Ronith, and has recently successfully rooted out rebels in and around the city." Daisuke grins to himself, leaving it to others to speculate whether the news he bears is in fact "Good".
Keiko stifles a laugh. When Corwin returns, Keiko casually bumps into him as they all listen to Ronith. She whispers to him, "Anything I can do for you...My Lord?" Keiko, unsuccessfully, tries to keep an evil grin from her face.
Ronith wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:23 am Turning to Keiko Ronith says ”The Splugorth certainly have the expertise to assist us in this matter, but to be frank I wouldn’t put it past them to just rift us to a slave world and try to hold us there. Then there’s the fact that approaching Atlantis by sea is a dicey proposition at best. I think that this option is best saved as a last resort.”

”We’ve heard no mention of Dweomer- it could have been annihilated or incorporated, or it could be that the city is just as adept at concealing itself in this timeline as it is in ours. In any event, I think that its relative proximity to MercTown makes it as good a choice as any. If the city is still free, it could be a useful opportunity to rest and learn more about this timeline without fear of discovery. If it is not, well, that will also tell us something about my double’s intentions. And nothing good. ”The city is more or less on the way to Lazlo, which as it stands likely offers us the best chance at getting home from North America. I suggest we make our way there by way of Dweomer- we use the opportunity to keep a low profile and learn more. If nothing else, I would hope that we could prevail upon the mages at Lazlo to rift us to Atlantis, should all else fail. Alternatively, as we learn more we may be able to put together a feasible plan to take advantage of some of our… similarities, but I would like to know more about this emperor and his Omega Knights before we commit to that.” Turning to Grant, Ronith says ”Do you think there is value in attending this ceremony? I suspect that they will have little information for us beyond propaganda, but we can scope it out if you think it’s worth it. But be careful- the near-universal religious fervor with which these people regard their government is quite unsettling, and I wouldn’t put it past them to use some hex or poison to get new recruits. Otherwise, I think we should quit pushing our luck, get some sort of transport, and get out of MercTown while we still can.”
Keiko nods in agreement. "I couldn't agree more. I'm surprised we have had this long to linger about. This place has been deserted for a little while so it's odd that it wasn't recorded as abandoned. And I wouldn't actually recommend the splugorth. They would definitely makes slaves of all of us. But if it comes to it there are many independent entities operating in Atlantis that would likely be a safe option for dimensional travel." Keiko pauses for a moment and tilts her head to the side as a though occurs to her, "So. If we are going to head to a place your "Omega" versions haven't taken over, then how much trouble would we be in if they recognized any of us in those places? It sounds like war in on the horizon, so I can't imagine we would receive a friendly welcome. Kind of feel like we are damned if we do, damned if we don't. I have the fake ID's I made for everyone before we got transported here, but I'm not sure if they would pass muster being from a completely different dimension. Anyway. Lets get out of here." Keiko readies herself to leave and stands next to Corwin. Interesting place. I will have to come back to examine these leyline dampeners for myself. Lots of good information can come from them. Ugh I have to find a shifter to teach me more about dimensional travel and theories...orrr...I know they can get powers from deities too. Find a god of magic, maybe something like that. Keiko lets a smile creep across her face as she thinks of the possibility of making her own dimension. Nothing too big, just about the size of a house.
Keiko

P.P.E.: 110/110
I.S.P.: 35/35
H.P.: 29/29
S.D.C.: 86/86
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor
Helmet - 40/40
Left Arm 20/20
Right Arm 20/20
Right Leg 30/30
Left Leg 30/30
Main Body - 60/60
Armor of Ithan 50/50 M.D.C.
Do not PM this Account. Please direct all PMs to Sum of All Fears
Post Reply

Return to “Heroes for Hire Adventure Forum”