Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Where Chaos Earth adventures take place.
Post Reply
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Myth and Jest »

Hold Back the Night Cover - Ch 1.jpg

At this point of the apocalypse, only the return of the blue energy lines and the first wave of destruction have occurred. Massive earthquakes rendered the world, toppling cities and splitting continents. Freakishly immense storms lashed across the lands creating tornadoes of debris that barraged the shattered landscape. Fires exploded from lightning, severed power or gas lines, and stoked into infernos. Tsunamis slammed coastlines for hundreds of miles swallowing the ground whole. Mountains cracked, cities crumbled, and humanity was crushed, drowned, and burned. And then, before anyone could catch their breaths, Yellowstone erupted, suffocating the screaming world with scorching ash.

There is no magic to save humanity, no psionics to pull the wretched from the horrors of survival. Tales of bizarre creatures and monstrous shadows are only now whispered between survivors through second-hand rumors and witnesses driven mad by despair. Are the stories true or simply hallucinations created by broken minds?

Five days have passed since the earth convulsed and civilization crumbled around you. Five days since, the bizarre blue lines dissected the globe ripping everything you knew, leaving death and despair in its wake. The only way to survive was to find stable ground, so Lieutenant General Sawyer ordered the withdrawal from Atlanta to Chicago. Escape death, survive, bring hope, and, if possible, rebuild civilization. Simple, right?

*

The convoy’s first sign of trouble came at 13:00 on the twenty-six of December when Recon Team Five missed their check-in window. Their primary objective was to scout the convoy’s path to Chicago and report any obstacles or dangers for Command to map. Command labeled the discrepancy in the book since communications had been spotty with the arrival of the blue energy lines—still no contact at 17:00, and they were a no-show at 19:00 for the night. All the other teams returned and reported the usual destruction and chaos, but that was the new normal. Comms monitored the airwaves for any hint of Recon 5 through the night, but by dawn, your team had a new mission, Search and Rescue. Find Recon 5 and bring them home. The convoy would meet you at the next approved waypoint that evening.

*
Ash fell slowly from the gloomy sky, building a layer of dirty snow-like softness over the land. What had been a city of jagged, shattered ruins of concrete, rebar, and steel was now a lumpy, misshaped blanket. It was dangerous to navigate before, but now that danger hid beneath the cover, making any speed treacherous. The sudden bursts of wind and low visibility forced the team to move even slower. After hours of delicate maneuvering, the group arrives at Recon 5’s marked reconnaissance area.

The apocalypse had been loud until now. A cacophony of sounds filled the past several days: The rumble of falling concrete, the whining of twisting steel, the crackling of flames, gunfire, and an occasional explosion. All around came noises of survivors, screams of pain and fear, shouts of anger, and laughter that sent chills down your spine. It was more than the ashy snow that muffled the sounds. As the team enters the ruined outskirts of Louisville, all sounds fade until only silence remains.

Liam waits patiently with the vehicle for Macher to return from scouting the path ahead. So far, Liam’s first real mission for NEMA has been boring. The search pattern discovered no trace, probably because the never-ending ash fall obscured any hint of Recon 5. His hands and feet grow numb, and he pulls his coat tighter.

Butcher monitors the tracking and comms from the inside of his robot vehicle. What had been a clear signal from his teammates since leaving the convoy was now a mess of random static corrupting his feed. Macher stood still only 50 yards ahead over the hill of broken debris, but his signal intermittently dropped only to reappear suddenly. The interference seemed to grow stronger the farther they moved into the reconnaissance area.

Macher, hidden beneath a shadowed overhang, surveys the route through the ruins with the telescopic lens and sees dozens of figures in the courtyard next to a damaged but standing skyscraper. The camera zooms closer in, revealing members of Recon 5 herding a group of civilians into the dark foyer of the building. The last visible Recon 5 member jerks around, looks directly at Macher across the long distance, waves, and points to his helmet before fading into the building’s shadowed interior.

What do you do?
Liam Marconi
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (15%): 75
JIC (d20/d100): 15/72%

Liam thinks over the last few days while he waits, guarding the transport.

It had begun on the shortest day of the year, a conflict in South America went nuclear and his National Guard Unit was activated. The EMP from the Nukes was thought to be causing disruption of the magnetosphere. Liam headed to the Armory on his bicycle to pick up his gear, he knows if there was an EMP a lot of the electric vehicles are going to have failed and the roads will be horrible. The first earthquake hit while he was on he way, it was not bad in Atlanta, but it did emphasize the need to get the National Guard up and running.

As he approached the armory he saw a strange blue glow reaching high into the air. It soon resolved itself into a blue line that ran somewhere behind the armory (it was hard to tell how far away without knowing how tall it was). The way he figured it, the magnetospheric disruption was impacting the Earth's magnetic lines, causing Chenkerov radiation glow in the atmosphere. It would be relatively harmless, he was sure.

He parked his bike and ran inside, whatever was going on he was going to need his gear. Military gear is built to withstand an EMP, unlike civilian gear. It should still be functioning.

The armory staff looked appalling in the strange blue glow coming in through the windows, but they were happy to outfit him and send him to assemble with his Unit.

The were soon put dealing with the aftereffects of the earthquake and the EMP. There were enormous losses of life and near total breakdown of long-range communications. The National Guard and the civilian emergency services soon were forced to coordinate with the group with the best remaining central leadership in the area, the NEMA garrison.

NEMA soon decided the Atlanta area was too unstable and that retreat to a more central location was required. He was not involved in the choice, he only knows that the area around Chicago was eventually chosen. That is why they have formed a massive caravan of as much military hardware and personnel as they could gather and as many civilians as were willing to accept their authority and started heading up to the Northwest. Liam was assigned to this search and rescue team because his occasional flashes of insight were deemed potentially valuable.

Now they have a mission and a goal...and a mystery in why the advance team has not made contact. So Liam is awaiting orders on what to do next.
Last edited by Liam Marconi on Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Falcon »

Used https://www.dnddiceroller.com/ for rolls

Perception: 15% : 3
JIC: 11/ 49
Conditions: +2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Motorcycle: 65%/ 75
M&J wrote: wrote: Macher, hidden beneath a shadowed overhang, surveys the route through the ruins with the telescopic lens and sees dozens of figures in the courtyard next to a damaged but standing skyscraper. The camera zooms closer in, revealing members of Recon 5 herding a group of civilians into the dark foyer of the building.
Macher absently pets the combat hound he has come to call Rex with his left hand, loosely holding his rifle at the ready with his right. This feels off. Why are they staying with the civilians rather than contacting the main group?
M&J wrote wrote: The last visible Recon 5 member jerks around, looks directly at Macher across the long distance, waves, and points to his helmet before fading into the building’s shadowed interior.
And they saw me. That is odd, but if they saw me, why didn’t they try to communicate?

Macher switches his internal radio to the team frequency. ”Butcher, I’ve spotted Recon 5 with several civilians enter the building there” Macher gestures to indicate the buildings and patches Rex’s video feed into Butcher’s HUD. Something seems off. One of them saw me, but didn’t make contact. I’m going to try to get closer and get a better angle. You copy?

Macher turns in Butcher’s direction and gives a thumbs up/thumbs down gesture.



In case of violence:
Initiative: 1d20+4: 16+4=20


Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/Parry
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/Parry
Action 3: Strike - Rifle: 24 Damage (3D6): 15 MD/14 SD
Action 4: Strike - Rifle: 20 Damage (3D6): 11 MD/ 17SD
Action 5: Strike - Rifle: 14 Damage (3D6): 7 MD/ 17 SD
Action 6: Strike – Rifle: 11 Damage (3D6): 7 MD/ 26 SD

Parries (+6 included): 18, 23, 11, 14, 22
Dodges (+7 included): 24, 11, 16, 16, 24
Antithesis
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:56 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Antithesis »

Perception: 15% (18)
JIC: 20/100 (5/92)
Piloting NEMA Mastiff

Piloting the NEMA Mastiff power armor with the convoy Johnny thinks back about all that has happened in the past 5 days. "Five Days. This new world hasn't even seen a second Monday yet," he says to himself in the enclosed robot power armor. "Man, what a wild ride it's been, and it doesn't seem like it's gonna let up. The reports keep coming in of unbelievable events and its hard to take them seriously, but none of it has been proven wrong yet, none of it." He punches in a few commands into the weapon targeting and surveillance systems, as is his habit once every few minutes to keep himself present and to make sure he doesn't think too much of the previous week. Can't be caught off guard these days, you never know what might fly out of a portal or what natural disaster might spontaneously occur. Have to be ready of anything these days.

"Damn systems interference, as if it isn't enough we're looking for the lost Recon Team, and we're unable to use our recon equipment. Come on, man!" He exclaims to the inside of his cockpit. A slow labored deep breath with strong inhale and exhale works in an attempt to stay calm and focused and then a quick look around using his eyes. "This huge stack of hardened kick ass, and I can't tell is there is a pastrami sandwich 50 feet ahead of me or not. Let's keep an eye open, Lunchbox." he pauses a moment. "God, I need a good pastrami sandwich right now, that would make this trip a whole lot better." Slow and steady movement suited Johnny just fine, the big laborious Mastiff robot armor was his preferred method of travel. Some missions everyone wants to go fast, and then the shit hits the fan, and they depend on ole Johnny Butcher to bring the pain and support the troops. The devastation and destruction was everywhere though, its still new and off-putting. Getting used to it, well, will take some getting used to.

"It's time to check in with Macher. It's been a bit, I wonder if he's caught sight of anything." Trying the communications and surveillance systems again, "Hey Macher, you got anything on your end up there?" Johnny sighs heavily again at all the interference, the falling ash and the general issues with, what seems to be anything going smoothly today. "This damn interference is getting worse, and I don't like this one bit," he says to himself again.
Macher switches his internal radio to the team frequency. ”Butcher, I’ve spotted Recon 5 with several civilians enter the building there” Macher gestures to indicate the buildings and patches Rex’s video feed into Butcher’s HUD. Something seems off. One of them saw me, but didn’t make contact. I’m going to try to get closer and get a better angle. You copy?
I'll post this assuming Johnny sees Macher make the physical gestures, if not, ignore.
Johnny looks at Macher giving him a thumbs up/thumbs down gesture... "What is he doing? something is off." ...and returns the gestures, thumbs down & shoulder shrugging. "Better keep a close eye on him Lunchbox and be ready for anything. He might have found something." Johnny finishes with another monologue to himself.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)
Butcher wrote: wrote: ...and returns the gestures, thumbs down & shoulder shrugging.
Damn, all this new shit is messing with coms again. Thank God it hasn’t started messing with other tech, like weapons.
Macher takes off at a good pace and his hounds fall in behind him. At 25 MPH it only takes a few seconds to cross the 50’ between them. When he arrives, Macher removes his helmet, revealing a rugged face with a cybernetic visor across his eyes. He thinks of it as looking like the old Oakley wrap-around sunglasses that were popular in the late 1900’s. Macher then gestures for Butcher to unbutton so that they can talk face to face, since the radio isn’t working so well.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Liam Marconi »

(rolls carried over)

Liam hangs back and provides cover with his rifle. Someone needs to be ready to do so, in case this is a trap. It is SOP. It makes sense that it be the most lightly armored of the team.

He comments, not sure if the others can hear, "Possibly we need some Line of sight laser comms, they are useless if we an not see each other, but great if the conditions are clear."
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Myth and Jest »

December 27 – Outside, afternoon, near the center of the ruins, Louisville.

As Staff Sergeant, SSG, Falcon returns through the ruins and over the rubble, the radio signal clears and gains strength. Whether it’s the ash cluttering the airways, distress from the energy lines, or some unknown disruption, the radio seems to have a precise range between 25 and 35 yards, which isn’t much, but enough for a close team dispersion. Even within that range, the radios occasionally pick up a weird clicking transmission, but it could be a comms echo from waves bouncing off debris. Regardless of the crappy comms, they need to connect with Recon 5 beyond a visual and a wave. Falcon motions to the LT to open the Mastiff robot.

Private First Class, P1C, Liam Marconi notices Sgt. Falcon heading towards Lieutenant Butcher’s Mastiff from his guard position and replies over the radio about laser comms. So far, everything looked normal, normal for the shit show now called reality, that is. If it weren’t for the apocalypse, the day could be considered a cozy winter day, with the light snowfall obscuring the white sky. Usually, children would have been playing outside in the few remaining hours of daylight left. Though with the appearance of everything being safe, Liam feels a brooding sense of unease. Something is off. The sooner they finish the mission, the better.

Second Lieutenant Johnny Butcher’s radar screen glitches. At the far eastern edge of the radar’s range, a weird distortion he has never seen before appears. It’s like a soft cloud of static but nothing solid. Perhaps a screen glitch? The ash was playing havoc on anything mechanical and electronic. All the other sensors, such as LIDAR and Thermals, show all-clear. Butcher looks up to see Falcon approach and motion.

Does Falcon have any recommendations on how to contact Recon 5? Does Marconi share his feelings with the lieutenant? Does Butcher have a plan or orders for the team? What do you do?
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [51] = 51
JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10 / 1d100: [96] = 96
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Motorcycle: 65%/ 1d100: [96] = 96
M&J wrote wrote: the radio seems to have a precise range between 25 and 35 yards
Great, he can’t hear me through the radio. Let’s try face to face Macher puts his helmet back on and knocks on the vehicle’s leg with a fist. Clicking his armor’s loudspeaker to a little below conversation level. ”Hey, you awake in there? Can you hear me?




In case of violence:
Initiative: 1d20+3: 1d20+3: [16]+3 = 19


Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 1, 6, 2, 6] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 2, 6] = 11
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 2, 1, 6, 2] = 14 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 5, 5] = 14
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 4, 4, 1, 1] = 15 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 4, 4] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 2, 6, 5, 5] = 24 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 1, 3] = 10



Parries (+6 included): 1d20+6: [4]+6 = 10 , 1d20+6: [7]+6 = 13 , 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 , 1d20+6: [13]+6 = 19 , 1d20+6: [6]+6 = 12
Dodges (+7 included): 1d20+7: [6]+7 = 13 , 1d20+7: [4]+7 = 11 , 1d20+7: [10]+7 = 17 , 1d20+7: [19]+7 = 26 , 1d20+7: [8]+7 = 15
Liam Marconi
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (15%): 1d100: [53] = 53
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [63] = 63

Liam recalls his Sargent, the man was possibly a bit unorthodox, but he once asked Liam, "Private, what is a hunch?"

He then proceeded to say, "What you have under your helmet is the best pattern analysis general purpose analog computer nature ever designed. A hunch is when you are making patterns out of things that you are not consciously aware of. Hunches can be wrong, but are right often enough that you need to pay attention to them. You have two allies always with you your training and your mind, listen to both of them if you want to survive."

Right now, Liam has a hunch something is wrong here. He it trying to find what he is overlooking so he can justify his hunch.

He says, "I get the feeling something is wrong here. I can not put my finger on what. Still, sir, if you were in charge of Recon 5, what reason would you have to be acting the way they are?"
Antithesis
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:56 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Antithesis »

Perception (15%): 1d100: 1d100: [42] = 42
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: 1d20: [18] = 18 / 1d100: 1d100: [99] = 99

Johnny takes in the situation and ponders a response.
Great, he can’t hear me through the radio. Let’s try face to face Macher puts his helmet back on and knocks on the vehicle’s leg with a fist. Clicking his armor’s loudspeaker to a little below conversation level. ”Hey, you awake in there? Can you hear me?
"Falcon, copy that. I hear you clear now. The interference was coming in hot, but I can hear you now. I'm getting some kind of distortion on my radar, could be nothing, could be... who knows, stay alert."
"I get the feeling something is wrong here. I can not put my finger on what. Still, sir, if you were in charge of Recon 5, what reason would you have to be acting the way they are?"
"PFC, I copy that." he replies to Liam. Trusting in the instincts of the squad is they way Johnny leans to on this decision. 'This kid hasn't given me reason to think, he's not smart or knows what he's doing, so until such time, I'm sticking to that.' "I hear that PFC." he says directly to him. Thinking out loud and speaking to both men at the same time, "Procced with caution, but we have to make contact with Recon 5, the mission and those men out there are depending on us. Be ready for anything, and let's get them home. Falcon, What do you see? What's goin on out there? you get a good look at anything?" lets stay in a formation, and move in. Looks like 20 to 25 yard grouping keeps us in range."
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Myth and Jest »

December 27 – Inside, near the center of the ruins, Louisville.

Staff Sergeant (SSG) Charles Dresden dreamt of chasing a young child up a crumbling concrete staircase. He ran higher and higher up the stairs, barely outpacing the falling steps behind him. As hard as he urged his burning muscles to move faster, he just couldn’t keep up with the fleeing form. He knew he should be able to outrun a child, but he couldn’t move fast enough, and the figure disappeared into the shadowed floor above. He felt the last step crumble beneath as he stepped off the staircase onto the landing and watched it shatter to pieces far below. He looked back toward the hallway, where the child had disappeared, to see a hulking shape. It didn’t make sense. His mind screamed for him to run. The form lunged forward to fill the hallway with deeper darkness. He instinctively stepped back and screamed as he plunged.

*
A sharp burst of static erupts in Dresden’s head, throwing him fully awake and choking back a scream. He’s hanging upside down in the middle of a large empty promenade within a skyscraper. His head pounds from the blood pressure, and he notices the floor about twenty feet below. Some weird synthetic cable had twisted around his leg and held him suspended. The first ten floors surrounded the open-air promenade, fading in the distance above. It must have been a beautiful modern architectural design, but now it was a death trap of barely standing ruins. He should have breathed clear air from his armored suit, but his helmet sits below on a mound of rubble. How he got there, he didn’t know. The last thing he remembers was leaving the convoy with his Recon Team 5 for the day’s mission. He takes a deep breath drawing in the rotten stench of death, and gags.

The garbled transmission clears into a broken voice.
Falcon wrote:”Butcher, I’ve spotted Recon 5…… omething seems of…. ………..ake contact. …………. get closer and get a bette…... Do you copy?”
User avatar
Charles Dresden
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:34 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Charles Dresden »

Perception 15%: d100: [49] = 49
JIC: d20: [16] = 16 , d100: [97] = 97

Charles takes a moment to adjust to his surroundings. Once he gauges the situation, he reaches up and begins using his Augmented Strength to unravel the cable around foot and shin. He keeps holding the cable as his legs drop until he is hovering over the ground. He drops and lands on the ground.
Gymnastics-Work Rings 45%: d100: [24] = 24
Sense of Balance 45%: d100: [33] = 33
Myth and Jest wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:10 pm The garbled transmission clears into a broken voice.
Falcon wrote:”Butcher, I’ve spotted Recon 5…… omething seems of…. ………..ake contact. …………. get closer and get a bette…... Do you copy?”
Radio: Basic - 60%: d100: [14] = 14

“This is SSG Dresden Recon 5. Who is this? Are you backup? Over.”

Where the hell am I? Everything is so fuzzy.

He reaches down and grabs his helmet placing it on his head. He instinctively reaches the to the attach point for his Vibro Axe and takes solace in finding it. He looks around for his Rifle, to no avail. He pulls up his Hud and begins pinging the area to see if he can find his rifles E-Clip energy signature.

Read Sensory Equipment 45%: d100: [79] = 79

The HUD begins shorting and he can’t quite get a read.

Damn it I loved that Rifle. What is that smell? How long have I been here. I smell rot and decay of human flesh. That takes time. Where is the rest of the team?

With his axe in his hands, he carefully begins searching visually for his other gear. He keeps monitoring comms in case the voice responds.


Initiative: d20: [20] = 20
Action 1: Vibro-Axe - To Strike: d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 | Damage: 4d6: [5, 2, 5, 2] = 14 MD
Action 2: Dodge: d20+5: [7]+5 = 12
Action 3: Vibro-Axe - To Strike: d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 | Damage: 4d6: [6, 2, 1, 4] = 13 MD
Action 4: Dodge: d20+5: [18]+5 = 23
Action 5: Vibro-Axe - To Strike: d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 | Damage: 4d6: [5, 5, 4, 2] = 16 MD

Parries: d20+5: [2]+5 = 7 , d20+5: [18]+5 = 23 , d20+5: [7]+5 = 12 , d20+5: [15]+5 = 20 , d20+5: [6]+5 = 11
Liam Marconi
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls carried over)

Radio, Basic (50%): 1d100: [92] = 92

If Liam hears the message from Dresden, he will report it to the Lieutenant. This may be unlikely, as he is probably farther away, but it could happen.

If he does not hear the message, he will keep alert and wait for orders.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Falcon »

(rolls carry over)
Butcher said: wrote: "Falcon, copy that. I hear you clear now. The interference was coming in hot, but I can hear you now. I'm getting some kind of distortion on my radar, could be nothing, could be... who knows, stay alert."
Nice having someone able to watch the radar and get a bigger picture. Falcon taps into both of his hounds’ radar to get a look himself. ”I got you LT. Keep an eye on the sensors and keep us informed. My hounds can too, but they don’t have a human brain. I did see some of Recon 5 with civilians go into that building Falcon indicates which building on the horizon. and it looked like one of them spotted me, but then just went inside.[b/]
Dresden wrote: wrote: “This is SSG Dresden Recon 5. Who is this? Are you backup? Over.”


Falcon hears a burst of static, then “This is SSG Dr….5. …is this? ……over? Well, at least someone is talking to us….and he is an NCO. That is always a plus. 😉 "LT, you hear that? Are you able to" Falcon waves his left hand around a bit "do some of the roboty stuff and tell where the signal is coming from?"
Antithesis
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:56 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Antithesis »

Perception (15%): 1d100: [78] = 78
JIC (d20): 1d20: [17] = 17 / (d100): 1d100: [83] = 83

Radio Basic: 60% 1d100: [98] = 98
Read & Operate Sensory Equipment: 45% 1d100: [43] = 43
Pilot: Robots Basic 76% (if necessary) 76% 1d100: [50] = 50
"LT, you hear that? Are you able to" Falcon waves his left hand around a bit "do some of the roboty stuff and tell where the signal is coming from?"
Johnny tries to dial in the short range radar and pin point the voice on the other end of that message.

"Falcon, things are coming in spotty still. Keep on that voice and move in carefully, I'll follow and support." he replies to the Specialist

JB will stay the best position to see as much as he can and support Falcon's continued recon, and pick up anything on radar, specifically the voice on the other end.

At least now we're getting somewhere. Waiting to get on mission is always the tough part. Once the action starts, ole Johnny is focused and on task. he thinks as he gives himself his rdy to rock and roll speech.

"We've got some action boys, heads up and eyes open," he says to the squad in his officer in command voice.

JB opens up the radio comms on his end and attempts to reach the voice on a secure NEMA channel (I'm assuming that we know a channel Recon 5 would know is NEMA & hopefully only Recon 5 is on), trying any way to relay the signal through Falcon or his probes, or to boost it or focus it on where the signal is coming from, if he can. "We hear you, Recon 5. Rescue & Recovery operations at your service, 2nd Lt Butcher here, with squad forces on the ground, Transmit/state your location and condition. What's your status, how many are you and what's the situation? over."
Liam Marconi
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls carried over)
Liam will stay with the transport unless ordered otherwise. He may want to join the others, but his job is to follow orders.

He does comment, "My bad feeling is getting worse, what company would leave a sergeant behind and continue about their business?"
User avatar
Charles Dresden
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:34 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Charles Dresden »

Rolls carried over.
Antithesis wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:40 pm Radio Basic: 60% 1d100: [98] = 98
"We hear you, Recon 5. Rescue & Recovery operations at your service, 2nd Lt Butcher here, with squad forces on the ground, Transmit/state your location and condition. What's your status, how many are you and what's the situation? over."
Radio Roll carried Over
"I do like apple pie, but what the hell does that have to do with anything? Who is this again? You seem to be really breaking up. Have you used a radio before?" Is this some sort of a test to make sure I am an American?
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Myth and Jest »

December 27 – 15:45 Near the center of the ruins, Louisville.

Search and Rescue 1 (SR1) attempts to respond to Sergeant Dresden’s broken transmission but cannot clear the interference for a coherent broadcast, so Dresden receives a scrambled response from SR1. Fortunately, Lt. Butcher picks up Dresden’s faint radio signal location on his scope. The location ping shows he’s in the same skyscraper Recon-5 entered with the civilians.

Dresden continues his search for his rifle but can’t find it. The shuffled movement of a group of people comes from across the interior promenade near one of the building’s entrances. He can’t see anyone from his vantage point and will need to investigate further.

Lt. Butcher orders SSG Falcon to scout ahead and pilots “Lunchbox,” his Mastiff robot, to follow behind the sergeant; Falcon being the official Search portion of the Search & Rescue team.
OOC Comments
The motorbikes won’t scale the rubble ahead. They can be left behind, perhaps guarded by P1C Marconi or not, considering they probably have anti-theft systems. You could also attempt to find a way through one of the surrounding buildings with the bikes or jump over the rubble, though there isn’t a clear straightaway to gain speed.
After traversing the large mound of rubble, SR1 views the center, which shapes a rough pentagon courtyard several hundred yards in diameter. The skyscraper Recon-5 entered stands at the northern point of the pentagon across from SR1’s position. Another skyscraper that stood at the eastern end had toppled over, and now the building walls off that portion of the courtyard. The remaining points of the pentagon each feature a tall skyscraper with several buildings of various shorter heights in between, each showing signs of damage or collapse.

The area had been the business and cultural crown of the city, centered around the urban park. Avenues for foot traffic lead between the exterior buildings ringing the courtyard. The interior contained space for leisure: artistic sculptures, water fountains surrounded by benches, and manicured grass landscapes with other foliage, now in states of destruction covered in a few inches of snow and ash.

This courtyard park reminds Falcon of a sniper assassination job he was on back in the day.

As SR1 enters the courtyard, all the radios squelch, and the sensor screens visually glitch suddenly before returning to normal as if hit by a pulse of interference. Dresden’s clear voice comes across the radios on Recon-5’s channel.
Charles Dresden wrote: "I do like apple pie, but what the hell does that have to do with anything? Who is this again? You seem to be really breaking up. Have you used a radio before?"
OOC Comments
SR1 will have to cross the park to get to the northern skyscraper if they intend to rendezvous with Dresden.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (15%): 1d100: [57] = 57
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [16] = 16

Liam has mixed feelings about going along with the others.

First there is clearly something wrong here, though he has to admit that there is something wrong with the situation of the entire world. It might not be anything more than that, still this is a more specific idea that it is wrong HERE, not just generally wrong.

Second, someone should be left guarding the ATV. Now logically it should be the pilot, not him, though he is a decent second choice so his staying behind was reasonable.

On the other side, he does not want to be separated from the others, so he feels more comfortable together with them. That stands on the other side of the equation.

Something has been nagging him for a long time, some strange feeling of familiarity that has been troubling him since this whole mess started. He can not figure out why it feels familiar...

All in all, the situation is very confusing, so being a grunt and taking orders is not a bad thing.

He frowns at the sudden radio static increase and that it then drops almost completely. He is not really great at radio stuff, but it seems to him like a harmonic effect that creates points of positive and negative interference...he remember an experiment involving radio speakers they did once in school and how the sound could be louder or softer, and clearer or more distorted, based on the placement of the speakers. The problem with his is there would need to be transmitters, at least two of them of reasonable strength, to cause a harmonic.

Radio, basic (50%): 1d100: [55] = 55

The good side is they can now easily hear the person who called them before.

He will say out loud, not on the radio, "That seemed to be a harmonic effect, caused either by multiple sources or possibly by reflection, if I recall my training."
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [9] = 9
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 / 1d100: [8] = 8
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Motorcycle: 65%/ 1d100: [91] = 91
M&J wrote: wrote:Lt. Butcher orders SSG Falcon to scout ahead
Falcon bristles at the thought of taking “orders” from an untested Robo-jockey and mumbles to himself, ”gonna need to have a talk with the boy.
Dresden said wrote: "I do like apple pie”
Greaaaaaaat. This guy is either an idiot,or rang his bell good. Wish we had a good medic with the team.
Marconi said:[/quote wrote: That seemed to be a harmonic effect, caused either by multiple sources or possibly by reflection, if I recall my training."
Falcon nods his head inside his helmet. The new guy has a good brain. Wish I knew what any of that meant. Taking in the scene in front of him all Falcon can think is that he would use this as an ambush spot. He nods his head towards Marconi and says over the dedicated team frequency: ”Hey, Minuteman. Dedicated team frequency only right now. No external noise if possible, at least until we actually know what is going down. I suggest Rex " Falcon gestures to the robot hound with a thick leather collar "and I get close enough so I can hear inside the building" (OOC about 300’) "Minuteman, you follow about 50 meters behind me with Nora" now he gestures to the other hound. This one with a pink collar. " Stay in the shadows and don’t make a sound. LT, since you can’t exactly maneuver inside the buildings, what you say you give cover from here. Once Minuteman and I are in position, wait 30 seconds or so and if I don’t give you a signal, use your external speakers to announce your arrival and try to make contact. Oh, and Minuteman, I don’t know what that whole harmonics stuff was, but keep it up. If you notice anything changing or have any idea how to combat it, speak up."

Without waiting for an answer, Falcon signals to Rex to take point down the closest side buildings and follows the hound at about 10 meters. Switching to thermal, his normal vision now overlays with heat signatures as well.

Prowl 45%: 1d100: [51] = 51

In case of violence:
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16


Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/Parry
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/Parry
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 2, 1, 2, 6] = 12 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 5, 4] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 6, 5, 5, 5] = 22 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 1, 4] = 11
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 5, 3, 4, 1] = 15 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 6, 6] = 14
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 1, 3, 2, 2] = 11 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 3, 2] = 11



Parries (+6 included): 1d20+6: [4]+6 = 10 , 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 , 1d20+6: [7]+6 = 13 , 1d20+6: [11]+6 = 17 , 1d20+6: [6]+6 = 12
Dodges (+7 included): 1d20+7: [20]+7 = 27 , 1d20+7: [1]+7 = 8 , 1d20+7: [15]+7 = 22 , 1d20+7: [10]+7 = 17 , 1d20+7: [20]+7 = 27
User avatar
Charles Dresden
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:34 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Charles Dresden »

Myth and Jest wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:42 pm December 27 – 15:45 Near the center of the ruins, Louisville.
Dresden continues his search for his rifle but can’t find it. The shuffled movement of a group of people comes from across the interior promenade near one of the building’s entrances. He can’t see anyone from his vantage point and will need to investigate further.
Perception 15%: d100: [15] = 15
JIC: d100: [51] = 51 , d20: [9] = 9

Dresden approaches the crowd cautiously, axe at the ready, scanning the are for his rifle along the way. As he draws closer after a few steps each time, he does a scan of the group, observing their behavior. I swear to God, if this is some zombie apocalypse bullshit, I am going Army of Darkness on some zombies.

If they begin moving in unison his way or make any threatening movements, he will quickly make his way to a choke point like a doorway so that they must approach him single file.

If they remain stationary, he will attempt to listen to see if their is chatter he can listen to to discern the groups intentions.

If he finds his rifle he will grab it and retire his vibro-axe.

Basic Radio 60%: d100: [28] = 28
Prowl 35%: d100: [25] = 25

"SR 1. I have visual of a congregation of survivors. I am carefully approaching them. Sending my location. Over."
Last edited by Charles Dresden on Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls Held over)

Liam moves over to join Nora, he has been briefed and so knows his assigned call sign and those of the others.

He shakes his head and responds on the same frequency, "I am sorry sir, the only way they showed us to deal with harmonics was to move something: either yourself, the transmitters, or whatever is causing the reflection. We already seem to be past the worst of it."
Charles Dresden wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:13 am "SR 1. I have visual of a congregation of survivors. I am carefully approaching them. Sending my location. Over."
Basic Radio (50%): 1d100: [90] = 90

Liam can not make out the signal, "Sir, did you hear something just now? I thought I did but I could not understand what was said."
Antithesis
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:56 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Antithesis »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: 1d100: [58] = 58
JIC: 1d20: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: 1d100: [91] = 91

This mission is beginning to escalate, I can feel it. It's always been Johnny's place to make the calls and big plays. Coaches always gave him the green light in tough situations. This isn't a game, lives are on the line, but pressure is pressure. This team was thrown together and the last few days have been a blur. It's better to have a full season with a team to figure out what they can do, to build some understanding of, better yet an offseason to work out plays and build some teamwork and camaraderie. But we don't have the luxury of that. We have to learn on the fly. This first mission outside the greater caravan is a chance to prove our mettle. I like this team so far. We have a sharp and experienced point man, with lots of bells and whistles in his robot pets. Bells & whistles, yea those are good nicknames, I'm gonna have to remember that. The Marconi kid shows some smarts and solid reasoning skills. So far so good. We'll be a championship team in no time.

Read & Operate Sensory Equipment 45% 1d100: [66] = 66

Johnny keeps his eyes on the field for any change of circumstance& replays anything to the team as it happens.

Marconi says:
He shakes his head and responds on the same frequency, "I am sorry sir, the only way they showed us to deal with harmonics was to move something: either yourself, the transmitters, or whatever is causing the reflection. We already seem to be past the worst of it."
"Good catch PFC, let us know if you spot anything else." I like this kid.

Dresden says:
"I do like apple pie, but what the hell does that have to do with anything? Who is this again? You seem to be really breaking up. Have you used a radio before?" Is this some sort of a test to make sure I am an American? "SR 1. I have visual of a congregation of survivors. I am carefully approaching them. Sending my location. Over."
Directed to Dresden:
"You're coming in, we hear you clear now, the interference has cleared up. Who are you? What can you tell us about the rest of your group? We're not looking for a scuffle, just get you and any others out of here and back to the convoy. Replay any changes in the situation back to us."

Falcon says:
=”Hey, Minuteman. Dedicated team frequency only right now. No external noise if possible, at least until we actually know what is going down. I suggest Rex " Falcon gestures to the robot hound with a thick leather collar "and I get close enough so I can hear inside the building" (OOC about 300’) "Minuteman, you follow about 50 meters behind me with Nora" now he gestures to the other hound. This one with a pink collar. " Stay in the shadows and don’t make a sound. LT, since you can’t exactly maneuver inside the buildings, what you say you give cover from here. Once Minuteman and I are in position, wait 30 seconds or so and if I don’t give you a signal, use your external speakers to announce your arrival and try to make contact. Oh, and Minuteman, I don’t know what that whole harmonics stuff was, but keep it up. If you notice anything changing or have any idea how to combat it, speak up."
He shows good initiative but NEMA didn't give him command of this squad to give everyone direct orders. Now isn't the time to take issue with this though, make sure we find everyone we can, and get them home safe, that's more important. "Roger Falcon, and follow on that Marconi. You two get in and get out. Emphasis on the RESCUE part of S&R. I'll cover anything from the outside and keep the back door open for you. Get who you can, and get out. If you see any resistance or funny business make quick work of it or get out. We're not a heavy strike team."


Initiative 1d20+1 (incase) 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Myth and Jest »

December 27 – 15:50 Near the center of the ruins, Louisville.

Lt. Butcher acknowledges SSG Falcon’s initiative and directs Falcon and PFC Marconi to head to Recon 5’s last known location.
Search and Rescue One moves through the urban park closing in on the building Recon 5 entered. It’s eerily quiet, and each step feels like a loud crunch that echoes from the surrounding buildings. There should be sounds of humanity, but nothing, only silence and the team’s footsteps.
Falcon leads the way with his robot dog, Rex, followed by Marconi and the robot dog, Nora, both anchored by Butcher in the massive robot vehicle, Lunchbox, about 50 feet behind.

At around 300 feet/100 yards from the building, Falcon starts to see an overlay of thermal heat on his HUD. There are several warm human figures just within the foyer of the building. He can’t make out a specific number beyond a handful because of the distance and massive marble support columns in the lobby that blocks his view.

The front entrance is a long wall of glass and glass panel doors. It stands 22 feet high, large enough for Lunchbox to enter if one doesn’t mind crashing through the glass.

Falcon notices the Recon 5 member who previously waived to him, 1LT Jillian Holt, corralling the civilians into a side area just to the right within the foyer. On his thermal overlay, Holt’s body gradually gets cooler farther from her head, with her head unusually bright. This anomaly makes her stand out visibly from the group.

SSG Dresden’s location pings through everyone’s HUD, showing him about 65 yards beyond the group of civilians within the interior of the building’s promenade. Butcher responds to Dresden, asking for additional details.

*
Dresden weaves stealthily through the promenade getting closer to the group without being seen. He notices his rifle about halfway between him and the group in the foyer. Unfortunately, the gun sits in the open without surrounding cover, and to retrieve it, Dresden will need to come out of hiding. He also notices two of his Recon 5 team members, P1C Ollie Wilcher and SPC Sylvester King, herding the quiet civilians into a side door to his left. The group appears docile and silent.
*
As everyone settles into position, the ground twitches as if they are standing on the skin of a shivering animal. It’s only a gentle aftershock, nothing like the city-shattering earthquakes days before. Everyone’s HUDs briefly glitch with static, and their radios squelch in their ears. To Marconi, it’s like his world was hit by a giant-size mallet, vibrating like a bell through his head. He was overwhelmed by vertigo until the interference and quake ended as quickly as they arrived. Ash falls slowly, unsettled from the shake, but nothing else is disturbed. Marconi’s somewhat nauseous but promptly recovers, though his limbs feel numb as if asleep. He notices the others don’t appear as affected as he was.
OOC Comments
At this point, no one in the Search and Rescue team has a visual on Dresden as he's too far away in the interior of the building and on the opposite side of the civilian group. However, everyone's HUD shows Dresden's ping/dot on their map. They can only see Lt. Holt as she's just within the doorway and in front of the group of civilians.

Dresden can only see the remaining two Recon-5 members, King and Wilcher, as they are on his side of the civilian group herding the group into a side door/stairwell away from the promenade.

Lt. Holt is on the high end of the average for PB. Basically, she's a popular hometown girl, but in a large city, she would be considered rather plain. Please note all of R5 have their visors lowered, and you can't see their faces.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [53] = 53
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [16] = 16
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: wrote: Lt. Butcher acknowledges SSG Falcon’s initiative and directs Falcon
This boy is command material after all. Sitting in his protected “office”, taking credit for others’ initiative and actions. I wonder, if I or the PFC get shot, will he bleed for us, or just say “ow”.
M&J wrote: wrote: Holt’s body gradually gets cooler farther from her head, with her head unusually bright.
That just doesn’t look right.

Falcon brings up Rex’s visual on his HUD to compare with his optics visor’s. Both therma visuals look the same. Well, looks like its not my cyber messing up. Never seen that before.

On the team’s designated frequency: ”Hey LT. Something looks odd here. I can only see a couple of Recon 5 and one of them has an odd heat signature. Her body is colder than it should be and her head is really hot. Not like attractive either. How many of Recon 5 were there anyways? LT, anything on your end? Any ideas? How about you Marconi? You notice anything yet?”

Falcon moves another 10’ closer, hugging the shadows and side of the building, Rex following in his wake. When he finds a good spot with both cover and concealment, he engages his teleoptics and scans the building again to try to get more details. He also focuses on his hearing to see if he can pick anything up.






In case of violence:
Initiative: 1d20+3: 1d20+3: [6]+3 = 9


Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 6, 2, 4, 4] = 18 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 3, 5] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 4, 6, 3, 1] = 16 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 3, 3] = 11
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 2, 2, 2, 3] = 13 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 6, 2] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 4, 2, 2, 3] = 15 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 5, 4] = 12



Parries (+6 included): 1d20+6: [2]+6 = 8 , 1d20+6: [3]+6 = 9 , 1d20+6: [15]+6 = 21 , 1d20+6: [18]+6 = 24 , 1d20+6: [5]+6 = 11
Dodges (+7 included): 1d20+7: [5]+7 = 12 , 1d20+7: [16]+7 = 23 , 1d20+7: [5]+7 = 12 , 1d20+7: [1]+7 = 8 , 1d20+7: [8]+7 = 15
Liam Marconi
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (15%): 1d100: [15] = 15
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [13] = 13

The Earthquake was physically minor, someone not looking for such might not even notice. To Liam, however, it was as if it hit inside his head.

He spreads his legs and holds tight to his rifle, swaying like a drunk. He reports, "Sir, Something Strange is definitely going on, I feel like someone just zapped me with a taser to the head. It hit the same time as the static on our radios and the Earthquake. Most of my body feels numb, like a limb that is asleep before circulation is restored."

He has no idea what is going on, but is fairly certain it is not good. He thinks, darn it, I should have taken at least a good first aid course, perhaps then I would know what my symptoms mean.
User avatar
Charles Dresden
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:34 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Charles Dresden »

Perception 15%: d100: [30] = 30
JIC: d100: [97] = 97 , d20: [6] = 6
Myth and Jest wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:04 pm Dresden weaves stealthily through the promenade getting closer to the group without being seen. He notices his rifle about halfway between him and the group in the foyer. Unfortunately, the gun sits in the open without surrounding cover, and to retrieve it, Dresden will need to come out of hiding. He also notices two of his Recon 5 team members, P1C Ollie Wilcher and SPC Sylvester King, herding the quiet civilians into a side door to his left. The group appears docile and silent.
*
As everyone settles into position, the ground twitches as if they are standing on the skin of a shivering animal. It’s only a gentle aftershock, nothing like the city-shattering earthquakes days before. Everyone’s HUDs briefly glitch with static, and their radios squelch in their ears. To Marconi, it’s like his world was hit by a giant-size mallet, vibrating like a bell through his head. He was overwhelmed by vertigo until the interference and quake ended as quickly as they arrived. Ash falls slowly, unsettled from the shake, but nothing else is disturbed. Marconi’s somewhat nauseous but promptly recovers, though his limbs feel numb as if asleep. He notices the others don’t appear as affected as he was.
He sees his rifle. There is my baby. Suddenly strange sensation hits him and he struggles to regain his bearing. He finally shakes it off, he stands up and puts his Vibro-Axe in his holster. He nonchalantly walks into the open and grabs his Rifle. He quickly checks the E-clip for charge and functionality, and puts the E-Clip back and rests the barrel on his shoulder. He begins walking towards them. As soon as his team notices him he says, “This isn’t the first time, I have woken up in a strange place in restraints but it is the first time it has happened on duty. Wilcher…King what in the f**k are you doing. We didn’t have orders to round up civilians. I am Jewish on my Mom’s side and frankly I have a genetic propensity for getting a little antsy when I see the military rounding up civilians and concentrate them in one area. Where’s the LT?”


Action 1: Heavy Shot | To Strike - d20: [15] = 15 | Damage: 4d6: [4, 1, 4, 3] = 12 MD
Action 2: Dodge - d20+5: [11]+5 = 16
Action 3: Heavy Shot |To Strike - d20: [18] = 18 | Damage: 4d6: [2, 4, 2, 1] = 9 MD
Action 4: Dodge - d20+5: [10]+5 = 15
Action 5: Heavy Shot | To Strike - d20: [2] = 2 | Damage: 4d6: [5, 3, 3, 3] = 14 MD
Will Attack King until downed or disabled and then Wilcher with any remaining actions.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)
Marconi wrote:
He spreads his legs and holds tight to his rifle, swaying like a drunk. He reports, "Sir, Something Strange is definitely going on, I feel like someone just zapped me with a taser to the head. It hit the same time as the static on our radios and the Earthquake. Most of my body feels numb, like a limb that is asleep before circulation is restored.”
Crap!! Didn’t think that tremor was that bad. Maybe the nerves finally got to him.

”Marconi, you ok? If you need to sit down a bit, find some cover and Nora will make sure you are safe. We can come back for you."
Dresden wrote: He nonchalantly walks into the open and grabs his Rifle. He quickly checks the E-clip for charge and functionality, and puts the E-Clip back and rests the barrel on his shoulder. As soon as his team notices…
"Team, we got a new player in the game. Looks like Search and Rescue armor. This may be the guy we’ve been talking to. Still can’t hear any talking."
Liam Marconi
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls carried over)
Falcon wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:55 am ”Marconi, you ok? If you need to sit down a bit, find some cover and Nora will make sure you are safe. We can come back for you."
Liam responds gamely, "I seem to be functional, though I am not sure what hit me. I can manage."

I have gone to class and ROTC training when feeling worse, Liam Assures himself, I can handle whatever this is.

He glances over at Nora, seeing that it seems to be functioning normally.

He continues, "Between me and Nora, we will handle our end of this."

He tells himself, Get your act together Marconi, people are counting on you, so do your job.

He wonder briefly why he sounds so much like his old drill sergeant, but it does the gob of getting him back mobile...at least for now.

He makes note of the people listed on his HUD, most of which are still tagged yellow, with only his team tagged in green. At least they are not tagged red for definitely hostile.
Antithesis
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:56 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 1

Post by Antithesis »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: 1d100: [34] = 34
JIC: 1d20: 1d20: [5] = 5 / 1d100: 1d100: [22] = 22

Read & Operate Sensory Equipment: 45% 1d100: [95] = 95
Initiative JIC 1d20+1: 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18

We got a bunch of questions, more questions and no answers still. It's like we got this math equation to work on, and the teach keeps adding more variables and operations needed to solve the problem. This must be that new math nobody likes.

Butcher positions his Robot vehicle right outside the building, right up against the glass windows. So he can see inside and provide support, and bust through or shoot through the window, if need be. But not breaking anything yet, or at least unless it needs to be. It's not like glass windows are support beams, but why shatter the entire thing unless there is a need.

Falcon said:
”Hey LT. Something looks odd here. I can only see a couple of Recon 5 and one of them has an odd heat signature. Her body is colder than it should be and her head is really hot. Not like attractive either. How many of Recon 5 were there anyways? LT, anything on your end? Any ideas? How about you Marconi? You notice anything yet?”
"Agreed Falcon, this doesn't sound like any operation that Recon 5 should be involved in. Wait, she? She's hot?" What do we have here? Wait, what did he say? Ah, body heat, yea... "Sounds like some funny business is going on here, but make contact to verify. I don't want to go back to command reporting that we shot up Recon 5, because things looked and felt weird."

Liam said:
"Sir, Something Strange is definitely going on, I feel like someone just zapped me with a taser to the head. It hit the same time as the static on our radios and the Earthquake. Most of my body feels numb, like a limb that is asleep before circulation is restored."
This kid needs some medicine, he made it through Basic like everyone else, and got all hits shots?, Johnny thinks questioningly. "Alright soldier, stay focused and on your feet. If you need to pass out, shove that feeling down deep and stay upright. We need you on your game."

Butcher picks up Dresden's ping:
SSG Dresden’s location pings through everyone’s HUD, showing him about 65 yards beyond the group of civilians within the interior of the building’s promenade. Butcher responds to Dresden, asking for additional details.
Falcon says:
"Team, we got a new player in the game. Looks like Search and Rescue armor. This may be the guy we’ve been talking to. Still can’t hear any talking."
"Good spot Sergeant." Now we have some visual confirmation we're in the right place. That's what I'm talking about. Lets get them and get out of here, I don't like this place one bit.

Johnny assesses the situation and opens the comms to Falcon & Liam only. "PFC & Nora will take a flanking position and cover Falcon & Rex. Keep eyes on him and support in anyway necessary. Falcon, as usual you got point and the visual front. Move in and make contact with that, um hot Lt., er you know who. OUR comms seem fine now, but maybe theirs are still knocked out. Who knows what going on here. We still have intermittent HUD glitches and static, but I don't like that they're not responding and don't seem to be reacting to us. Don't jump to conclusions though, stay on point, cool and calm until we have verifiable reason to do anything lethal or to subdue. Remember your training, we got this S&R 1, remember you're the best, command didn't send us out here because they didn't think we could do this, they did it because we're the best they got." Johnny thinks to himself, that's all he's got for a pregame speech right now. Maybe not his best work, but it's something. Or maybe he just said it to calm himself and convince himself they're the best team for the job. He'll have to think about that some other time. Right now, it's time for action.

Trying to loop in Dresden to the communications, Johnny continues... "This is Lt. Butcher, S&R 1, come in Recon 5. Do you hear us?" Johnny tries to ping his HUD with their positions to alert him. "We're coming in on the other side of a group of other Recon 5 members who are exhibiting strange behavior. What is your condition? Reply back on this channel if you are able."

Johnny keeps his eyes and ears open and ready to react to anything. It's officially the apocalypse, he thinks to himself.
Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”