After the Bomb adventure forum
Kaster

Re: Episode 2: Rescue at Mandible Hill

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [57] = 57
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 1d100: [90] = 90

Sign Language 33%= 1d100: [93] = 93
Climbing 40%= 1d100: [76] = 76 , 1d100: [20] = 20 , 1d100: [49] = 49

Kaster points out the found coin to the rest of the group and says, "I smell something too, but can't quite make out what it is. Its earthy and sour. Anyway, lets get a move on. Eugene, this way. It looks like we need to go down somemore." He then leans Eugene back to the down tunnel.

If the way down the ant hole is too steep, Kaster will unlimber the rope he brought and find a place to secure it and then use the line to aid in their descent.

Once Kaster has made his way down, he will look around for more coins. Frak, I hope that wasn't just a dropped coin. If it was, we could be on a wild goose chase down here. Lost and roaming around aimlessly. Best not say anything. Just find the next coin.

If all seems clear, Kaster will call out to the rest of the group to come down but if there's ants, he will call them off in warning and try to scramble back up the hole.

JIC combat
Actions: 4
Init: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6
1. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [4] = 4 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [1, 4, 4]+5 = 14
2. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [7] = 7 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [1, 3, 4]+5 = 13
3. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [17] = 17 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [6, 4, 6]+5 = 21
4. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [12] = 12 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [6, 2, 6]+5 = 19

Dodge/parry: 1d20: [11] = 11 , 1d20: [5] = 5 , 1d20: [12] = 12 , 1d20: [10] = 10
Last edited by Kaster on Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pip

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [38] = 38 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [15] = 15 ; 1d100: [82] = 82
Conditions:
The character can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
The ability to see at night. There must be starlight or some other light source available to the character; 1000 foot (305 m) range/distance. If the character is in a completely blacked-out area, a cave, for example, then nothing will be visible; is as blind as anyone else.
The character has the ability to hear very faint sounds (light footsteps, small animals breathing). The character can also overhear a conversation at a much greater distance than is normally possible. + I on initiative.
The character has an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
Range: 90 feet (27.4 m) or self.
Duration: Four melee rounds (one minute).
Minimum M.E.: None. Not available to Mutant Humans.
Saving Throw: None.
Cost: 10 BIO-E.
The Danger Sense is a psychic intuition that provides a precognitive flash concerning imminent danger to himself or someone near him (within 30 feet/9.1 m). This includes hidden ambush, snipers, traps, a predatory animal stalking from the shadows, a poisonous snake, land mine, or dangerous situations (bridge can not support his weight, etc.). Danger Sense does not indicate what or where the danger might be, just that it exists and is imminent. Ultimately, it should put the character on alert that something is wrong and he must be careful and ready to act quickly (+2 on initiative to respond to the threat, + I to dodge). Note: The character must specify when the power is being used. It does not work automatically.

Eugene wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:15 am Eugene signs, "If I see something I will stop. I will do my best to describe it to you. If attacked I will hold them and we can fight, but if I get overrun, I will do my best to hold them off long enough for you to flee."
"Then I will do my best to make sure you don't get overrun, I am not keen on leaving anyone behind." Pip responds.
Kaster wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:16 pm Kaster points out the found coin to the rest of the group and says, "I smell something too, but can't quite make out what it is. Its earthy and sour. Anyway, lets get a move on. Eugene, this way. It looks like we need to go down somemore." He then leans Eugene back to the down tunnel.
Chemistry: 1d100: [16] = 16 /59% (try and identify what Kaster smells)
Chemistry: Analytical: 1d100: [64] = 64 /49% (try and identify what Kaster smells)
Excavation: 1d100: [25] = 25 /39% (look out for unsound sections of the tunnels)

"Be careful everyone." Pip adds. "It can be easy to get turned around underground if you don't have experience with it."

When Kaster brings out his rope Pip will help him with it. But he will wait at the top in case he needs to provide cover until everyone with melee weapons has climbed down. Then he will climb down the tunnel itself instead of the rope. Pip will then look for the next part of the coin trail.

Rope Works: 1d100: [15] = 15 /54% (Help Kaster with the rope)
Prowl: 1d100: [67] = 67 /39% (Keep quiet)
Climbing: 1d100: [61] = 61 /79% (Climb down the tunnel)
Climbing: 1d100: [50] = 50 /79% (Failure contingency)
Climbing: 1d100: [80] = 80 /79% (Failure contingency)

Initiative: 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16 (+2 if Danger Sense is active, lasts the first minute of combat)

Action 1: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [6, 4]+3 = 13 ).
Action 2: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [1, 5]+3 = 9 ).
Action 3: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [3, 2]+3 = 8 ).
Action 4: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [1, 6]+3 = 10 ).

Parries (With bow or knife) as needed: 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20 , 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 .
Dodges vs Ranged/Unparryable attacks: 1d20: [4] = 4 , 1d20: [12] = 12 , 1d20: [7] = 7 , 1d20: [16] = 16 . (+1 if Danger Sense is active, lasts the first minute of combat)

Note: Pip will try to provide cover for Kaster to climb back up the rope if needed.
Last edited by Pip on Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
Birger

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [88] = 88 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [13] = 13 ; 1d100: [13] = 13
Conditions:
Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.

Climbing 1d100: [59] = 59 /49% (Climb down the hole)
Climbing 1d100: [2] = 2 /49% (Climb down the hole)
Climbing 1d100: [38] = 38 /49% (Climb down the hole)
Prowl 1d100: [57] = 57 /29% (Keep quiet)

Birger looks about in the low light they've brought. "Well only one way to go."[/b] Birger says in a whisper. Birger waits for the the other to do their thing before attempting the climb himself. Not what I had planned for the day, or ever, but it is what it is. Birger thinks as he joins the others at the bottom.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [65] = 65 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [94] = 94
Conditions: Danger Sense, unless there is a threat, then Invisible Haze
Skills:
Detect Concealment & Traps: 1d100: [37] = 37 / 25% (mostly searching for weak spots in the tunnels)
Prowl: 1d100: [10] = 10 / 30%

Mandible Hill
Pip wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:04 pm"Another thing." Pip continues. " Before it got too dark, I saw what looks like eggs farther down the tunnel. The ground around them looked fuzzy, and it was white like the base of the trees on that hill."
“A nest perhaps?” Jesper suggests, rubbing his eyes to banish his temporary blindness. “Do ants build nests and lay eggs in them?” Hopefully they’re not bodies, wrapped up like leftovers. Spiders do that, don’t they? “Is there anything else up ahead? Trail of coins?” he asks, blinking to adjust to the light in the tunnel. Jes will stick with the group. His ears remain alert and if at any point he feels threatened, Jesper vanishes from sight.

If the group decides to do a bit of climbing...
Climb Rope: 1d100: [46] = 46 / 70%
Climb Rope: 1d100: [73] = 73 / 70%
Climb Rope: 1d100: [84] = 84 / 70%

If the ants attack the party, Jesper goes invisible and leaps into action!
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7
1. Reserved for Invisible Haze
2. Strike: 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 , Damage: 2d4+3: [3, 2]+3 = 8
3. Strike: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage: 2d4+3: [3, 1]+3 = 7
4. Reserved for Dodge: 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4

Parries (just in case): 1d20-1: [16]-1 = 15 , 1d20-1: [10]-1 = 9 , 1d20-1: [10]-1 = 9 , and 1d20-1: [19]-1 = 18
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
Pip

Post by Pip »

((Rolls Held))
Jesper wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:37 pm “A nest perhaps?” Jesper suggests, rubbing his eyes to banish his temporary blindness. “Do ants build nests and lay eggs in them? Is there anything else up ahead? Trail of coins?” he asks, blinking to adjust to the light in the tunnel. Jes will stick with the group. His ears remain alert and if at any point he feels threatened, Jesper vanishes from sight.
"An ant hill is an ant nest, so technically yes, everything here is the nest. I imagine they would have chambers specifically for eggs." Pip responds. "I did not see any coin farther in, but Kaster seems to have seen one farther down."
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
Augur
Admin

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Date/Time: July 19th, 20th Year of Longjaw/afternoon
Location: Mandible Hill (near The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge & Gold Road)--2nd level down
Environment: Underground (pitch black darkness); Wilderness, just off the road & just southeast of the map

Pip recognizes that short of taking a sample of and analyzing it, that his chemistry knowledge will be of little use in this situation. However, he figures the smell to somehow be associated with the eggs, and coming from the white mycelium-like matter growing in certain areas. The coin being noticed, Kaster hefts the rope from his pack, uncoils it, and lets it drop down the hole. He feels the far end finally make contact just a moment before the full length has played out. Kaster finds no purchase for the rope, however, and nobody has a spike or anything with which to secure the rope until Jesper plants a dagger hilt-deep into a hard-packed bit of earth. Kaster is able to use his own knife in similar fashion and between the two points of contact figures they have a secure rope. Eugene boldly leads the way, lit torch held away from his face by his trunk and proves the rop secure, though he makes a clumsy mess of the affair, he only scratches himself up a bit after "landing" on his rump at the bottom. Pip makes short work of the climb and, using the rope when necessary but not relying upon it, quickly and adroitly makes his way down to stand next to Eugene. Birger makes a mess of his hooking over into the hole and nearly falls the entire way, but catches the rope with a free hand at the last moment, catches his breath, plants his feet against the tunnel wall, and then calmly makes the descent without further incident. Jesper hooks over with little issue, but loses his grip about halfway down, scrambles madly to grasp the rope in the dark, clutches only air, and tumbles to the tunnel floor below. He deftly kicks off of the tunnel wall just before falling to the next level down, and ends up in a rolling-landing that somehow looks intentional and graceful. The backs of his feet, however, are upon the precipice of the nearby continuation of the tunnel, and its only a quick catch by Birger that keeps the Rabbit from falling backward down the hole.

The group find themselves in an alcove of sorts some twenty feet below where they started. The light cast off by Jesper's torch in Eugene's hand illuminates a smal area around them well enough to identify a northwest passage and a southeast passge. Pip's keen eye catches the glint of metal on the ground just southeast of their position: another coin. The fur on the back of Pip and Jesper's necks stands on end. Danger Sense activated. Pip's keen ears pick up a skittering sound as of many small, hard surfaces scratching against one another. These sounds practically fill the air though they're nearly imperceptible. Most folk's ears would likely interpret such sounds as a static, a hum, or the like--background noise most folks' ears & minds filter out & which escape attention. Pip surmises it could be the acoustics of the alcove, or, alternatively, the source(s) of that noise fill this level of the nest.

What are your intentions?

Birger:
Eugene: -2
Kaster: -2
Jesper:
Pip:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
To help support this site w/o a subscription, use paypal.me/LloydRitchey
Medals
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Palladium Books Internet Policy
Birger

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [33] = 33 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [2] = 2 ; 1d100: [34] = 34
Conditions:
Gives the character an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
Allows the character to detect very faint scent traces. Tracking by smell (as a bloodhound) is possible at 59%+5% per level. Characters can also recognize the distinct smells of individuals and can detect when people experience extremes of emotions (69% +2% per level of experience). This is occasionally used as a lie-detector, but is rather unreliable.

Prowl 1d100: [1] = 1 /29% (Keep quiet)
Tracking by Smell 1d100: [65] = 65 /59% (Smelling for Folk.)

Birger on his feet once more, looks about in the dimness that the groups light affords them, before drawing his sword once more and trying his best to be hidden from sight, whether it works versus the senses of an ant giant or normal is unknown to the the Otter. Birger gestures to the two directions in a questioning manner, but doesn't say anything to keep stealth going. So which way folks? Birger thinks.
Birger
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.” ― Terry Pratchet
Kaster

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [26] = 26
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 1d100: [8] = 8

Sign Language 33%: 1d100: [45] = 45
Prowl 35%: 1d100: [11] = 11

Kaster looks long and hard off into the darkness up the northwest passage and southeast passage. "Anyone see another coin? Or is the one I saw in the shaft just one that got dropped there by mistake?" I'd be just my luck that I lead the group of course down some random tunnel. This is not going to be good if we get eaten by ants.

Mind Speaking as to stay as quiet as possible, Kaster broadcasts to the group, "Stay together no matter what and stay in the light. You think these tunnels are hard to navigate now but they'll be impossible in the pitch dark." He slips his axe back out of the loop on his belt and looks back and forth between the two tunnels exiting this room.
Pip

Post by Pip »

Perception: 17/44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 53; 12
Conditions:
The character can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.
The ability to see at night. There must be starlight or some other light source available to the character; 1000 foot (305 m) range/distance. If the character is in a completely blacked-out area, a cave, for example, then nothing will be visible; is as blind as anyone else.
The character has the ability to hear very faint sounds (light footsteps, small animals breathing). The character can also overhear a conversation at a much greater distance than is normally possible. + I on initiative.
The character has an increased chance (+10% skill bonus) to perform delicate actions and skills like picking locks and sleight of hand (palming, etc.). Characters can also recognize very slight differences in texture.
The Danger Sense is a psychic intuition that provides a precognitive flash concerning imminent danger to himself or someone near him (within 30 feet/9.1 m). This includes hidden ambush, snipers, traps, a predatory animal stalking from the shadows, a poisonous snake, land mine, or dangerous situations (bridge can not support his weight, etc.). Danger Sense does not indicate what or where the danger might be, just that it exists and is imminent. Ultimately, it should put the character on alert that something is wrong and he must be careful and ready to act quickly (+2 on initiative to respond to the threat, + I to dodge). Note: The character must specify when the power is being used. It does not work automatically.

Excavation: 49/39% (look out for unsound sections of the tunnels)
Prowl: 14/39% (Keep quiet)
Birger wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:36 pm Birger on his feet once more, looks about in the dimness that the groups light affords them, before drawing his sword once more and trying his best to be hidden from sight, whether it works versus the senses of an ant giant or normal is unknown to the the Otter. Birger gestures to the two directions in a questioning manner, but doesn't say anything to keep stealth going.
Kaster wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:45 pm Kaster looks long and hard off into the darkness up the northwest passage and southeast passage. "Anyone see another coin? Or is the one I saw in the shaft just one that got dropped there by mistake?"
"No, I see one over there." Pip whispers, pointing at the southeast passage.
Kaster wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:45 pm Mind Speaking as to stay as quiet as possible, Kaster broadcasts to the group, "Stay together no matter what and stay in the light. You think these tunnels are hard to navigate now but they'll be impossible in the pitch dark." He slips his axe back out of the loop on his belt and looks back and forth between the two tunnels exiting this room.
"That is for sure." Pip concurs with Kaster as he draws a War Arrow for his bow. "Stay on guard everyone. We are definitely in the frying pan now, let's try not to jump into the fire. I cannot tell what direction they will be coming from."

Initiative: 20 (+2 if Danger Sense is active, lasts the first minute of combat)

Action 1: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 19; Damage: 9).
Action 2: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 12; Damage: 15).
Action 3: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 15; Damage: 15).
Action 4: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 9; Damage: 10).

Parries (With bow or knife) as needed: 9, 7, 6, 10.
Dodges vs Ranged/Unparryable attacks: 3, 11, 15, 11. (+1 if Danger Sense is active, lasts the first minute of combat)
Dice rolls
1d20: [1] = 1
1d20: [16] = 16
1d20: [16] = 16
1d20: [1] = 1
1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3
1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4
1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2
1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14
2d6+3: [6, 4]+3 = 13
1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14
2d6+3: [4, 3]+3 = 10
1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11
2d6+3: [4, 2]+3 = 9
1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18
2d6+3: [5, 4]+3 = 12
1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18
1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16
1d100: [46] = 46
1d100: [99] = 99
1d100: [12] = 12
1d20: [9] = 9
1d100: [83] = 83
Last edited by Pip on Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [31] = 31 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 / 1d100: [100] = 100
Conditions: Invisible Haze
Skills:
Detect Concealment & Traps: 1d100: [89] = 89 / 25% (mostly searching for weak spots in the tunnels)
Prowl: 1d100: [10] = 10 / 30%

Mandible Hill
Augur wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:42 amJesper hooks over with little issue, but loses his grip about halfway down, scrambles madly to grasp the rope in the dark, clutches only air, and tumbles to the tunnel floor below. He deftly kicks off of the tunnel wall just before falling to the next level down, and ends up in a rolling-landing that somehow looks intentional and graceful. The backs of his feet, however, are upon the precipice of the nearby continuation of the tunnel, and its only a quick catch by Birger that keeps the Rabbit from falling backward down the hole.
Despite the unfortunate placement of his heels, Jesper can’t help glancing over his shoulder. That looks like a long way down, he thinks to himself. He breathes a sigh of relief that Birger managed to catch him, smiles, then says to the otter, “Thanks, mate.” A moment later, Jes moves away from the ledge and tries to get a better look at their new surroundings. Before he can ask about the odd sound, Jesper’s senses give him a warning. “Something’s not right,” he whispers to the party. His hand reaches for the hilt of his sword and Jes vanishes.

If the ants attack the party, Jesper goes invisible and leaps into action!
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17
1. Draw Thistle
2. Strike: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage: 2d4+3: [2, 4]+3 = 9
3. Strike: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage: 2d4+3: [3, 3]+3 = 9
4. Reserved for Dodge: 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14

Parries (just in case): 1d20-1: [6]-1 = 5 , 1d20-1: [7]-1 = 6 , 1d20-1: [13]-1 = 12 , and 1d20-1: [17]-1 = 16
Jesper Brambleborn
“Then his sense of adventure and mischief prompted him.” - Richard Adams, Watership Down
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Perception 50%: [d100 (66)]
JIC: [d20 (3)] / [d100 (84)]
Conditions: Advanced Hearing, Advanced Smell, Advanced Sight
Coma/Death: +14%, Magic (varies): +4 Lethal Poison (14+): +4, Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4, Insanity (12+): +5, Psionics (10+): +4, Horror: +0

Eugene stands up and shakes the dirt off his tail and uses his hand to wipe of his bottom.
Kaster wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:45 pm "Stay together no matter what and stay in the light. You think these tunnels are hard to navigate now but they'll be impossible in the pitch dark." He slips his axe back out of the loop on his belt and looks back and forth between the two tunnels exiting this room.
Eugene is not familiar with mind speaking and since Kaster is behind him he assumes he said it outloud. He turns to Kaster and nods his head.
Pip wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:00 pm "No, I see one over there." Pip whispers, pointing at the southeast passage. . .

. . ."Stay on guard everyone. We are definitely in the frying pan now, let's try not to jump into the fire. I cannot tell what direction they will be coming from."
Eugene turns to Pip and nods his head.
Jesper wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:49 pm “Something’s not right,”
Upon hearing this Eugene focuses, firms his grip on his spear, raises his shield in anticipation.

Action 1: Spear Attack - # 18 Details:[d20+2 (16)] | Damage: # 41 Details:[6d6+22 (3 3 1 1 5 6)]
Action 2: Dodge
Action 3: Spear Attack - To Strike # 10 Details:[d20+2 (8)] | Damage: # 39 Details:[6d6+22 (3 1 1 5 2 5)]
Action 4:Dodge
Action 5: Spear Attack - To Strike # 15 Details:[d20+2 (13)] | Damage:# 49 Details:[6d6+22 (1 5 6 3 6 6)]
Dodge:Details:# 25
Details:# 7 Details:[d20+3 (4)],# 20 Details:[d20+3 (17)],# 14 Details:[d20+3 (11)], # 18 Details:[d20+3 (15)] , # 22 Details:[d20+3 (19)]
Spear AND Shield Parries: # 25 Details:[d20+7 (18)], # 18 Details:[d20+7 (11)], # 14 Details:[d20+7 (7)], # 12 Details:[d20+7 (5)], # 11 Details:[d20+7 (4)]
Dice rolls
1d100: [72] = 72
1d20: [5] = 5
1d100: [27] = 27
1d20+7: [10]+7 = 17
1d20+7: [1]+7 = 8
1d20+7: [7]+7 = 14
1d20+7: [4]+7 = 11
1d20+7: [5]+7 = 12
1d20+3: [16]+3 = 19
1d20+3: [9]+3 = 12
1d20+3: [15]+3 = 18
1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11
1d20+3: [20]+3 = 23
6d6+22: [2, 1, 4, 5, 4, 6]+22 = 44
d20+2: [16]+2 = 18
6d6+22: [3, 3, 4, 2, 3, 1]+22 = 38
d20+2: [14]+2 = 16
6d6+22: [3, 6, 4, 1, 4, 4]+22 = 44
d20+2: [3]+2 = 5
Pip

Post by Pip »

((Rolls Held))

Seeing that no one is moving, Pip adds in. "We cannot quickly go back the way we came. Our best chance is to keep following the coins. So let's get a move on." He emphasizes the last sentence by waving the group on, but tries to stay in the center of them, where his bow will be the most effective.
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
Augur
Admin

Post by Augur »

Conditions:
Location: Mandible Hill (near The King’s Road, near Cumberbridge & Gold Road)--2nd level down
Environment: Underground (pitch black darkness); Wilderness, just off the road & just southeast of the map

The group creeps slowly down the passage in the way suggested by the trail of coins. Peering around the corner they see a trio of large (about four feet at the shoulder), wingless ants moving about. Two carry oblong, whitish-yellow sacks across the tunnel to a side chamber, deposit them, and then depart. The third remains, and seems to fuss about the sacks while secreting a film from its mouth which it seems to drape over the (now noticeably wriggling) sacks. In the wan light it's easy to miss, but nearby and mostly out of sight, jutting out from the side chamber, can be discerned a pair of boots at the end of legs--everything else is obscured by the darkness.

Birger:
Jesper:
Pip:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
Medals
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Augur wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:00 am Conditions:

The group creeps slowly down the passage in the way suggested by the trail of coins. Peering around the corner they see a trio of large (about four feet at the shoulder), wingless ants moving about. Two carry oblong, whitish-yellow sacks across the tunnel to a side chamber, deposit them, and then depart. The third remains, and seems to fuss about the sacks while secreting a film from its mouth which it seems to drape over the (now noticeably wriggling) sacks. In the wan light it's easy to miss, but nearby and mostly out of sight, jutting out from the side chamber, can be discerned a pair of boots at the end of legs--everything else is obscured by the darkness.
Perception # 15 | Details:[1d100 # (15)] PERCEPTION 50% SUCCESS
Just In Case - # 86 | Details:[1d100 # (86)]
Just In Case - # 13 | Details:[1d20 # (13)]

Eugene turns to the group and signs. "I see a potential survivor. I am going to see if they are alive." Eugene will carefully moved towards the area with the shoes, spear at the ready. If given the opportunity without being attacked he will examine what he finds there. I hope they are still alive.

Action 1: Spear Attack - To Strike - 9 | Damage - 31
Action 2:Reserved for Dodge
Action 3:Spear Attack - To Strike - 15 | Damage - 25
Action 4:Reserved for Dodge
Action 5:Spear Attack - To Strike - 4 | Damage - 29

Spear Attack
# 9,15,4
Details:[1d20+2;1d20+2;1d20+2 # (7 13 2)]

Spear Damage
# 31,25,29
Details:[2d6+22;2d6+22;2d6+22 # (5 4 2 1 4 3)]

Dodge
# 19,23,23,7,19
Details:[1d20+3;1d20+3;1d20+3;1d20+3;1d20+3 # (16 20 20 4 16)]

# 19,4,11,5,20
Details:[1d20+2;1d20+2;1d20+2;1d20+2;1d20+2 # (17 2 9 3 18)]
Birger

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [3] = 3 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [13] = 13 ; 1d100: [84] = 84
Conditions:

Prowl 1d100: [9] = 9 /29% (Keep quiet)
Tracking by Smell 1d100: [44] = 44 /59% (Smelling for Folk.)

Not understanding Eugene's hand talk, and barely able to see it in either case. Birger does note the wiggling "sacks". Probably the family, doubt the ants get many visitors this way often. Birger thinks. Birger holds his sword point down as he thinks of what they should do, but has to stifle a sigh as he watches Eugene move forward. Might as well follow him so he doesn't get hurt. Birger thinks as he too slowly makes his way towards the victims, keeping a wary eye on the remaining ant. Gee it's a big one. Birger thinks.

Initiative: 1d20: [3] = 3
Number of Attacks: 4

Action One: Attack ant with Bastard Sword. (Strike: 1d20+3: [10]+3 = 13 ; Damage: 2d6+4: [1, 5]+4 = 10 )
Action Two: Attack ant with Bastard Sword. (Strike: 1d20+3: [10]+3 = 13 ; Damage: 2d6+4: [5, 3]+4 = 12 )
Action Three: Attack ant with Bastard Sword. (Strike: 1d20+3: [15]+3 = 18 ; Damage: 2d6+4: [3, 3]+4 = 10 )
Action Four: Attack ant with Bastard Sword. (Strike: 1d20+3: [7]+3 = 10 ; Damage: 2d6+4: [5, 4]+4 = 13 )

Parries as needed: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 .
Birger
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [46] = 46 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [48] = 48
Conditions: Invisible Haze
Skills:
Prowl: 1d100: [6] = 6 / 30%

Mandible Hill

Hell’s bells! They’re moving! Jesper observes the remaining ant drooling over the mysterious sacks. He can't help noticing the boots too. Half certain the large fiend is about to harm whoever is trapped within the sacks, Jes creeps closer with his sword at the ready. Although he’s invisible, he follows after Eugene and Birger as quietly as possible.

If the ant attacks either the party or the sacks, Jesper leaps into action!
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12
1. Strike: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage: 2d4+3: [2, 1]+3 = 6
2. Strike: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage: 2d4+3: [1, 3]+3 = 7
3. Strike: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage: 2d4+3: [3, 3]+3 = 9
4. Reserved for Dodge: 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18

Parries (just in case): 1d20-1: [14]-1 = 13 , 1d20-1: [8]-1 = 7 , 1d20-1: [7]-1 = 6 , and 1d20-1: [2]-1 = 1
Jesper Brambleborn
Pip

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [16] = 16 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [6] = 6 ; 1d100: [75] = 75
Conditions:

Excavation: 1d100: [72] = 72 /39% (Look out for unsound sections of the tunnels)
Prowl: 1d100: [12] = 12 /39% (Keep quiet)
Eugene wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:20 pm Eugene turns to the group and signs. "I see a potential survivor. I am going to see if they are alive." Eugene will carefully moved towards the area with the shoes, spear at the ready.
"Best not to split up the group. We should all go." Pip signs back, then motions the rest of the group to follow. I don't know much about ants, but I don't think egg sacks would move like that. We need to hurry. He thinks as he creeps along with the group.

Initiative: 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 (+2 if Danger Sense is active, lasts the first minute of combat)

Action 1: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [2, 4]+3 = 9 ).
Action 2: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [3, 5]+3 = 11 ).
Action 3: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [5, 4]+3 = 12 ).
Action 4: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [4, 3]+3 = 10 ).

Parries (With bow or knife) as needed: 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 .
Dodges vs Ranged/Unparryable attacks: 1d20: [4] = 4 , 1d20: [6] = 6 , 1d20: [2] = 2 , 1d20: [4] = 4 . (+1 if Danger Sense is active, lasts the first minute of combat)
Philip (Pip) Climbwell
Augur
Admin

Post by Augur »

Conditions:

The movement of the group triggers the giant ant. Its thorax and head whip around once alerted to their presence, and a sudden bloom of a peculiar, acrid odor fills the area. The ant then rushes away from the group around the corner and out of sight. As the group rounds the corner they see the small male rodent child close by, his big eyes even wider than normal. To the boy's right his father lays on his side facing away from the boy. To the boy's left his mother lays on her side facing away from the boy. The sticky white fungal material is beneath the three of them, and the boy is struggling to get free, but is avoiding touching it with his hands. Strained words escape his mouth through clenched teeth. "Help! The sticky stuff burns!" You all can tell two things immediately: the boy's mother is quite dead. As the "white sacs" are quite apparently ant grubs, and they are feeding not on the mother herself, but on the sticky white stuff which looks to have dissolved a great deal of the side of her body on which her corpse rests. The noise from the boy wakens the father, apparently still alive, and as he strains to rise from his side he screams as the melting flesh and fur on side of his face peel away like melted and browned cheese come from a hot oven.

Birger:
Jesper:
Pip:
My Linktree Page
ImageImage
Medals
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Augur wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:18 am Conditions:
Perception: 50% / 1d100<20: [47] = 0 Mistyped Formula - Success!!
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 | 1d100: [32] = 32
Conditions: Advanced Hearing, Advanced Smell, Advanced Sight
Coma/Death: +14%, Magic (varies): +4 Lethal Poison (14+): +4, Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +4, Insanity (12+): +5, Psionics (10+): +4, Horror: +0

Eugene, looks at his companions places his spear in his shield hand for a moment and signs 1 handed, "Free the father and child. Secure them, I will cover us."

He takes his spear back into his right hand and faces the direction of the ant fled towards. He raises his shield and readies his spear and stands a barrier to attack, attempting to give the group time to free the survivors. If they can free them I can easily carry them to safety.

He will begin with one ant and if it falls before his actions are up. he will move to the next. Rinse and Repeat.

Action 1: Spear - To Strike: d20+5: [15]+5 = 20 | Damage: 2d6+22: [2, 5]+22 = 29
Action 2: Spear - To Strike: d20+5: [17]+5 = 22 | Damage: 2d6+22: [2, 1]+22 = 25
Action 3: Spear - To Strike: d20+5: [20]+5 = 25 | Damage: 2d6+22: [4, 5]+22 = 31
Action 4: Spear - To Strike: d20+5: [18]+5 = 23 | Damage: 2d6+22: [2, 3]+22 = 27
Action 5: Spear - To Strike: d20+5: [19]+5 = 24 | Damage: 2d6+22: [4, 5]+22 = 31

Shield Parries: 1d20+6: [13]+6 = 19 , 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 , 1d20+6: [13]+6 = 19 , 1d20+6: [18]+6 = 24 , 1d20+6: [2]+6 = 8
Kaster

Post by Kaster »

Percep: 35%: 1d100: [35] = 35
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 1d100: [51] = 51

Sign Language 33%: 1d100: [41] = 41
Climb Rope 70%: 1d100: [79] = 79
Climbing 40%: 1d100: [53] = 53

Conditions:
SDC: 53/51

Kaster looks back at the retreating ant and mind speaks to the group, "I don't have a good feeling about whatever that odor is the ant let go before he ran. I doubt it was a nervous fart. We best get moving as fast as we can. And if someone can mask that smell..." He trails off as he turns to the boy and his father.

Moving to the trapped man, Kaster pulls off his cloak and wraps the man in the cloak. Using it as protection from the white fungus, Kaster attempts to pull the man away as carefully and fast as he can. The man will be injured but we'll have to deal with that when we're back on the surface. Right now we have to get them free and away from the ants.

If the man comes free, Kaster will throw him over one shoulder and mind speak to the injured man, "Hold on there fella. We'll get you patched up. " Then he will say to the group, "Get the boy free and then we move as fast as we can outta here. Only fight if the ants block our way."

JIC combat
Init: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11
1. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [3] = 3 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [5, 2, 5]+5 = 17
2. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [13] = 13 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [5, 1, 2]+5 = 13
3. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [13] = 13 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [1, 1, 5]+5 = 12
4. Strike w/ Axe: 1d20: [15] = 15 , Dmg: 3d6+5: [2, 2, 1]+5 = 10

Dodge/parry: 1d20, 1d20, 1d20, 1d20
Last edited by Kaster on Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jesper

Post by Jesper »

Perception: 1d100: [67] = 67 / 45% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, -15% to anything within 60' in front of Jesper)
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [29] = 29
Conditions: Danger Sense
Skills:
Prowl: 1d100: [98] = 98 / 30%
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 1d100: [66] = 66 / 60%

Mandible Hill

They were being…eaten? Melted? Jes feels his stomach turn and wraps his scarf around his sensitive nose. He initially follows after Eugene, partly to get away from whatever is left of the mice and partly to protect the others from any ants that might arrive. But the urgency in Kaster’s mental voice causes Jesper to go back. He sheaths his sword and makes himself appear to all around.

He moves to the boy, doing his best to avoid any of the goo. With a soft voice, Jes leans over and instructs the boy to, “Put your arms around my neck. Close your eyes.” Assuming the kid does just that, Jesper will lift him and start to carry him out the way they came in. If Jesper needs to cut the kid away from his bonds, he will do so with the help of Thistle.

If the ants return and attack, Jesper protectively puts the boy behind him and draws his weapon!
Actions (4):
Initiative: 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20
1. Draw Thistle
2. Strike: 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 , Damage: 2d4+3: [4, 1]+3 = 8
3. Strike: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage: 2d4+3: [3, 4]+3 = 10
4. Reserved for Dodge: 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2

Parries (just in case): 1d20-1: [2]-1 = 1 , 1d20-1: [14]-1 = 13 , 1d20-1: [11]-1 = 10 , and 1d20-1: [20]-1 = 19
Jesper Brambleborn
Birger

Post by Birger »

Perception: 1d100: [17] = 17 /69%
Just in Case: 1d20: [6] = 6 ; 1d100: [2] = 2
Conditions:

Climbing 1d100: [18] = 18 /49% Pass (To climb up.)

Initiative: 1d20: [13] = 13

Action One: Attack with Bastard Sword Two-Handed. (Strike: 1d20+3: [5]+3 = 8 ; Damage: 2d6+4: [4, 4]+4 = 12 )
Action Two: Attack with Bastard Sword Two-Handed. (Strike: 1d20+3: [20]+3 = 23 Crit!; Damage: 2d6+4: [5, 5]+4 = 14 24!)
Action Three: Attack with Bastard Sword Two-Handed. (Strike: 1d20+3: [19]+3 = 22 ; Damage: 2d6+4: [2, 2]+4 = 8 )
Action Four: Attack with Bastard Sword Two-Handed. (Strike: 1d20+3: [18]+3 = 21 ; Damage: 2d6+4: [2, 5]+4 = 11 )

Parries (With Sword or Knife) as needed: 1d20+3: [12]+3 = 15 , 1d20+3: [12]+3 = 15 , 1d20+3: [10]+3 = 13 , 1d20+3: [9]+3 = 12 .
Dodges vs Ranged/Unparryable attacks: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 .

Birger sighs at the Ant's retreat. "That's not good." Birger says to himself, as he heads the call to move, Birger decides to take the lead and rushes ahead of those carrying the victims. "Now we have to climb back up. This ought to be fun." Birger says a bit sarcastically, if only to mask the fear he's feeling. At the first climbing point, Birger will try and hustle up to be able to help the others. Hundreds of feet of rope and I left it in the wagon. Birger thinks as he prepares to lay flat and off an outstretched hand to help up the next folk.
Birger
Pip

Post by Pip »

Perception: 1d100: [85] = 85 /44% (+10% if Danger Sense is active, +10% when in darkness, +5% to perceiving any tactile characteristics)
Just in Case: 1d20: [10] = 10 ; 1d100: [56] = 56
Conditions:

Excavation: 1d100: [61] = 61 /39% (Look out for unsound sections of the tunnels)
Augur wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:18 am Strained words escape the boys mouth through clenched teeth. "Help! The sticky stuff burns!" You all can tell two things immediately: the boy's mother is quite dead. As the "white sacs" are quite apparently ant grubs, and they are feeding not on the mother herself, but on the sticky white stuff which looks to have dissolved a great deal of the side of her body on which her corpse rests. The noise from the boy wakens the father, apparently still alive, and as he strains to rise from his side he screams as the melting flesh and fur on side of his face peel away like melted and browned cheese come from a hot oven.
Burns? An acid! Pip realizes. Those need to be treated quickly.
Eugene wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:25 am Eugene, looks at his companions places his spear in his shield hand for a moment and signs 1 handed, "Free the father and child. Secure them, I will cover us."
"Eugene says he'll cover us." Pip translates. "Let's get them out of here."
Kaster wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:12 pm Kaster looks back at the retreating ant and mind speaks to the group, "I don't have a good feeling about whatever that odor is the ant let go before he ran. I doubt it was a nervous fart. We best get moving as fast as we can. And if someone can mask that smell..." He trails off as he turns to the boy and his father.
"If I had to guess it is some kind of alarm." Pip responds. "If it is, then the ants probably have a sense of smell at least as sharp as our friend here." He gestures to Birger. "Best to just leave quickly."
Kaster wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:12 pm "Get the boy free and then we move as fast as we can outta here. Only fight if the ants block our way."
Jesper wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:27 pm He moves to the boy, doing his best to avoid any of the goo. With a soft voice, Jes leans over and instructs the boy to, “Put your arms around my neck. Close your eyes.” Assuming the kid does just that, Jesper will lift him and start to carry him out the way they came in. If Jesper needs to cut the kid away from his bonds, he will do so with the help of Thistle.
"Got it." Pip agrees but sees that Jesper is already taking care of it.
Birger wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:36 pm As he heads the call to move, Birger decides to take the lead and rushes ahead of those carrying the victims. "Now we have to climb back up. This ought to be fun." Birger says a bit sarcastically, if only to mask the fear he's feeling. At the first climbing point, Birger will try and hustle up to be able to help the others. Birger thinks as he prepares to lay flat and off an outstretched hand to help up the next folk.
Pip quickly follows Birger. But once he gets to the rope he recalls Eugene's earlier fall. I don't think Eugene can climb, and we have two injured folk as well. Thinking quickly while Birger climbs up Pip turns to rest. "You don't know how to climb, do you Eugene?" He barely waits for a response "Ether way, we have two injured folk that definitely can't. Quick, give the injured to Eugene and climb up. I will tie the rope to them so they can be pulled up."

Provided his instructions are followed. Pip will clamber all over the larger elephant while he secures Eugene and the injured folk with the end of the rope, using some of his spider thread rope if necessary. He then double-checks his work. "We only get one good shot at this, better be sure it holds." He explains while working. Once satisfied, he climes up to the top and provides any needed cover fire with his bow.

Rope Works: 1d100: [6] = 6 /54% (Secure Eugene and the injured folk)
Rope Works: 1d100: [59] = 59 /54% (Double check his work)
Climbing: 1d100: [48] = 48 /79% (Climb to the upper tunnel)

Initiative: 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20 (+2 if Danger Sense is active, lasts the first minute of combat)

Action 1: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [4, 3]+3 = 10 ).
Action 2: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [3, 3]+3 = 9 ).
Action 3: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [3, 5]+3 = 11 ).
Action 4: Fire Mechanical Bow with War Arrow (Strike: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 ; Damage: 2d6+3: [5, 1]+3 = 9 ).

Parries (With bow or knife) as needed: 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 , 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 .
Dodges vs Ranged/Unparryable attacks: 1d20: [15] = 15 , 1d20: [3] = 3 , 1d20: [18] = 18 , 1d20: [5] = 5 . (+1 if Danger Sense is active, lasts the first minute of combat)
Philip (Pip) Climbwell

Return to “A Tale of Tails (ATB Adventure Forum)”