[CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

The Anvil, Corkscrew, and Thundercloud galaxies.

Moderators: Game Masters, AGMs

Post Reply
User avatar
Underguard
Game Master
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Location: CAF, UPS and GIRLS GM - nphilip90s/ScytheNP#2513

[CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Underguard »

A series of politicians and military leaders sit in the Presidential War Room of the Consortium of Civilized Planets. This council of war leaders were the minds behind the greatest strategic decisions the Consortium has ever made when it came to war and space exploration. From the looming Cold War with the TransGalactic Empire to the alien monstrosities, the Splurgoth. From the unknown capabilities of the Intruders and the feared reputation of the fabled Dominators, the Three Galaxies were growing more dangerous by the hour. So to protect her interests, an Operation was drafted and submitted by the Admiral-Chief, Admiral Eugene Pendagast.

"In accordance with this body's main goal of stability and security of the Consortium and her allies from all aggressors, I hereby submit Task Force Trinity to the Board for approval. Please, see the monitor. Task Force Trinity will be a bold initiative to explore the unknown reaches of the Thundercloud and Anvil Galaxies. It's main objective is finding new allies and other advantages within the unexplored space without disrupting indigenous life. Intelligence suggests the TransGalactic Empire has begun their own operations into Anvil and are thus leaving Thundercloud alone. The current truce with them means they cannot openly expand, thus we are reinforcing the Anvil homefront for surveillance and security and dedicating Trinity to Thundercloud. The Backbone of Trinity will be the ESO teams. Exploration and Special Operations. These members are chosen from the Consortium and her allies and volunteer to serve. They are the best in their given fields. Trinity can support up to four ESO teams, but these teams will be operating independently of the main Trinity Fleet. There is a lot of potential to be had in the mystifying yet unpredictable Expanse, and we should be the ones to find it." Admiral Pendagast finishes.

The meeting that followed his initial pitch was long and he fielded questions for what felt like hours. The entire time, the President remains silent until finally, someone notices he hasn't asked a question. Slowly questioning dies down and all eyes fall on the President who leans forward with their hands against their lips. "Tell me, Admiral. Do you have a candidate in mind to lead such a bold initiative." A test. Hesitation would mean Pendagast hadn't planned. Too quickly would mean he wasn't sure or was over eager. The experienced admiral nods "Yes, Mr President. Fleet Admiral Kalakhan Petrovsky." Admiral Pendagast answers and has to fight the smile on his lips as several others in the room begin murmuring and the President leans back. "Admiral Petrovsky is retired?" The President asks and the Admiral-Chief shakes his head as the door behind him opens. A pair of silver eyes greet the room as a tall and well built darker skinned human enters the room. His presence actually prompts several of the sitting Admirals to stand as the newcomer walks past them in a crisp dress uniform to the center of the room and salutes.

"My President." He offers and then drops his salute. "It is my honor to return to the Fleet and lead this Task Force. I will deliver what we need." Fleet Admiral Petrovsky says in a rather unique, calm but thick accent. The President nods his head. "Fleet Admiral, some of your own battles are taught in our Academies today. I had thought you were enjoying retirement, though I can think of no better person for the job. Fleet Admiral Petrovsky, Admiral-Chief Pendagast, I will approve of this operation, but I require something else." The president clasps his hands. "Everybody out!" He calls and everyone starts to move while the President points to Petrovsky to stay. When the dust settles, the President stands and motions for the admiral to follow him.

"Kalakhan, things are starting to get desperate. The cold war with the TGE is coming to a breaking point, the Intruders organized on a never before seen level, and vanished just as quickly. We can't risk these desolate factions claiming what could be found there. We've already made our own significant discoveries in our own space, but this has potential." The President leads the admiral to a large screen and displays some sort of unreadable sigils. "I need your task force to do more than just find us allies, I need you to find me artifacts. Elder Artifacts. You realize the risk associated to this." The president asks. "I do. And I accept. I will scour the galaxy, we will not let the Empire, the Splurgoth or any outside aggressors. I understand First Contact Protocols and our Priorities. You will not be disappointed." The admiral says and the President nods. "Good. Then go. Oh, and you no longer answer to Pendagast. We'll be in touch, Fleet Admiral." The president says and the Admiral leaves without a word.

Petrovsky returns to his personal shuttle and then heads to the Spacedock where his new Flagship was receiving final touches. This newest Emancipator-Class Dreadnaught was nearly ready for launch. The Admiral got a good look at it from the exterior, a beacon of hope in amid intergalactic turmoil. The admiral was ready to use this ship, its resources and capabilities to its fullest. He makes his way to the Captains Ready Room off the Bridge and personalizes it. The ship bustling with maintenance except the bridge. The bridge had the full bridge crew running simulation after simulation with the Deck-Captain barking orders. Inside the Ready Room, however, the Admiral pulls up an intergalactic map and zooms in on the Thundercloud Galaxy. An icon of the Emancipator appears in the Thundercloud with various support ships in a sort of formation. The Fleet Admiral sends the first first two ships out into the unknown, each ship labeled ESO1 and ESO2. "So it begins." He mutters to himself as he begins the meticulous planning of force deployment and resource allocation for Task Force Trinity.

Gm Note: Do not reply.
PW: CAF GM || UPS GM || GIRLS GM|| Theme Song
PCs: Ronan (Spook Squad) | Exe (PW GA) |Venenifer (Roughnecks) | Glitch (PW: Rogues) | Sam Animus (PW Void Reaver) || EP Ledger
ImageImage
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
User avatar
Underguard
Game Master
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Location: CAF, UPS and GIRLS GM - nphilip90s/ScytheNP#2513

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Underguard »

Conditions wrote:Mission Day/Time: 01 | 12hr30m
GZT (Galactic Zulu Time: Goldilocks Standard): 0800 [/color]
Location: Thundercloud Wildspace
Ley Line Presence: None within range.
[Pre-Deployment]

It was a long few weeks (4) of traveling the void between galaxies with it's own turmoils. Roughly halfway into the voyage to Thundercloud, there was an extreme gravitational anomaly that had to be charted around. Though it was done without issue thanks to the skilled pilots of the Consortium, it was enough to put the brass on edge. Besides that, the trip was relatively smooth. CAF TVIA Inspectors were seen being escorted by Fleet Officers, interviewing everyone on the ship. The team can rightly assume the same is happening on all the ships during this travel. Fortunately, or unfortunately, no other turncoats are found and with the discoveries made by ESO1, a means of scanning for the growth was fashioned. Nyx receives a message some time into the voyage regarding Khanzari being transferred to the Dreadnaught by request of the Admiral.

24 hours before landing at the prescribed coordinates, just on the border of current CAF space inside Thundercloud, ESO1 receives a command to report for imminent deployment briefing. Gathering their gear, the crew make way to the ready room with the Admiral. Once inside, the team sees another team in the room with them that they do not recognize.

"Excellent, now we will begin." Petrovsky says as the last members enter and the door closes. "Commanders Nyx and Vakarian, the rest of ESO 1 and 2, welcome. As you are aware, roughly a week ago we passed into Consortium Space within Thundercloud. We are about to leave said space and enter Wildspace." He says and suddenly a
Thundercloud Map.png
appears in the center of the room.

"There are five phases of our venture into the unmapped depths of this galaxy. ESO1 and 2 will move ahead of the fleet, each taking a different lane of approach. Starting with the Galera Arm, ESO 1 will push forward on the outer zone while ESO 2 is on the inner zone. The Fleet will create a hub that acts as a bridge for both teams. As you discover planets that meet our criteria, we will deploy habitation crews. When you encounter native life; we have first contact crews on standby and ambassadors primed for negotiations." He explains, highlighting parts of the map. "You will be operating independently unless aid is requested. If you encounter resistance, it is pertinent you retreat to safety without disclosing the location of the Fleet. This is not some vacation, I expect good judgement from each member on these teams." Petrovsky finishes, closing the map.

"Now then. You will be deploying soon. Return to your ships and await final orders. That is all." Petrovsky finishes and the lights return to normal with the door opening with a TVIA Inspector walking in. "Excuse us." Petrovsky says, leading the Inspector into his private office. Both teams return to their ships only for the next day to pass agonizingly slow.

[Deployment - Day 0]

The ESO 1 Ghosts, Crew of the Horizon, find themselves in the middle of the Galera Arm. A little over twelve hours since they left the Fleet in the rear and took to unexplored space. Though nothing was immediately pinging on any sensors, they had a flight path that took them from star to star. Exploring what is around each star within their scope, it meant for long weeks of nothingness was on the horizon as they traveled.

Roughly twelve and a half hours into the trip as they approach their first target, Acina requests all crew members to be present on the bridge as she pulls up three sets of coordinates.

"As we near MX35994, I have completed a scan of the system that surrounds it. It is a Main Sequence star with five planets in the system. One is located within the star's habitation zone for standard galactic life, one is a gas dwarf, the remaining three are cold planets well outside the acceptable habitational zone." She explains, then highlights three points. "The only planet within habitation also has a limited atmosphere and signs of volcanic activity. I am also detecting an unusual signal from the gas dwarf; technological source though I can't confirm anything else. Finally, I have detected an anomaly just beyond this solar system; a type of nebula." She finishes then her hologram turns to the team. "Where would you like to begin?" She asks.

What are you doing?
PW: CAF GM || UPS GM || GIRLS GM|| Theme Song
PCs: Ronan (Spook Squad) | Exe (PW GA) |Venenifer (Roughnecks) | Glitch (PW: Rogues) | Sam Animus (PW Void Reaver) || EP Ledger
ImageImage
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
User avatar
Makos
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:21 pm

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Makos »

Perception 35%: 1d100: [55] = 55
JIC d20: 1d20: [4] = 4
JIC d100: 1d100: [94] = 94

Conditions: Impervious to Lightning and Electricity, Resistant [1/2 Damage] other forms of energy, Invisible to Infrared & Thermal Optics [Armor]




*ding* *ding* *ding* ... Makos' near-meditative focus from the rhythmic hammering of the forge he has set up in a sound-proofed area of the Horizon's Upper Hanger-Deck area is interrupted by the ~buzzing~ of an indicator from Acina the AI. The Giant sets down the shard of metal he had envisioned as eventually being a Falchion type blade for their diminutive Commander (Nyx), and whistled for his companion "Ody?! ... C'mon boy. Let's go see what they need us for. Come-on ... if we get there first, you can sit in Drago's chair to mess with him!!" The Cyclops chuckles as he slings a recently fabricated bow across his back and heads for the steps.

When the duo (Makos + 300lb-Metal-Dog) reach the bridge, Ody pads over and flops down bonelessly onto their resident Seljuk's preferred seat.
"Hehehe ..." Meanwhile Makos himself lounges looking both relaxed and pleased with himself as the others arrive. The Cyclops offers an Cheshire grin and a wave to each in turn as he hummmms fragments of an old tune about the joys of space travel ... Conspiratorially he leans over towards Nug with a whisper, "Sooooo is this the meeting about Rowan's cooking ... or did we reschedule that?"
Acina wrote:"As we near MX35994, I have completed a scan of the system that surrounds it. It is a Main Sequence star with five planets in the system. One is located within the star's habitation zone for standard galactic life, one is a gas dwarf, the remaining three are cold planets well outside the acceptable habitational zone." She explains, then highlights three points. "The only planet within habitation also has a limited atmosphere and signs of volcanic activity. I am also detecting an unusual signal from the gas dwarf; technological source though I can't confirm anything else. Finally, I have detected an anomaly just beyond this solar system; a type of nebula." She finishes then her hologram turns to the team. "Where would you like to begin?" She asks.
Cocking one large eyebrow the Smithy grins, "Okay. So, I was off ... a bit," then looks over at Nyx to see what the little fellow's going to opt for, *Typically crew doesn't vote, but if there's a signal that we can trace ... well first is it continuous? is it something we can translate? ... Hehehe I have those books on Eyes of Thoth and the Tongues spell back in my room ... but I haven't gotten to them yet ... or the Locate Life Signs spell. Maybe I should have moved that up in the rotation. Could I really have known that it would be needed this soon? ...*
___(The-1-and-Only)___Zamikos__Makos___
~12+ Ft of Good-Lovin
Height: 12’8"
Weight: 800 lbs.
PPE: 233/233
MDC: 43/43

MD Bow
Claw Wand
CAF Heavy Battle Armor (-15% Prowl)
Enchanted Armbands/Pauldrons
(Left) -- [3x Daily] Strength of Utgard Loki/Might of Palladium
(Right) -- [3x Daily] Armor of Ithan [50 MD, 5.00 Min]

Ody, the Clockwork Wolf
User avatar
Nug
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:06 am

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Nug »

JIC: 1d20: 1d20: [10] = 10 , 1d100: 1d100: [80] = 80
Perception: 30% / 1d100: [35] = 35 (FAIL)
Active Effects:
  • Sixth Sense (90 feet)
  • Immune to airborne or ingested beer, poisons, toxins, drugs, gases, pollution and magic potions.
  • Immune to radiation.
  • Half damage from kinetic energy and impact weapons such as bullets, rail guns, punches, falls, thrown weapons, and explosives.
  • Half damage from electricity and ion beams.
  • Third damage from lasers.
  • Tenth damage from extreme fire, heat, cold and powerful microwaves
The wooden pine walls of the saloon were decorated with soft candles, casting a soft ambient light over the tables. Tables laden with jugs of malt beer and bowls of pretzels. Nug nibbles happily with one hand whilst his other works in emptying another pint. The simulation is a near perfect representation of some drinking establishment in a place called Old West. The original was likely lost to history, but Nudge, his AI companion, has detailed files to suit any occasion.

Nug glugs and crunches happily as his AI companion sits opposite him, now in a simulated bodily form. In its own small virtual world Nudge is a sword no longer. Today he is a mustached greying middle aged doctor, wearing in a fine black suit with a wide brimmed black hat, trimmed with grey fur.

In a deep soothing voice 'Doc' Nudge reads out loud Homer's epic Iliad; the comic book edition. Despite appearances, warlock's rapt attention never wavers from the story. It is getting really good. This strange tale has the Trojans being driven back onto the plain from the shore. A Greek warrior named Ajax has just wounded the Trojan champion Hector, who is just now being carried back to the besieged city of Troy.

It is the time of day Nug most enjoyed. A time of sanctuary that should be inviolate. Like an unwelcome alarm clock, something intrudes into his personal paradise.

*Buzz buzz buzzzz*
Underguard wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:28 pm ESO1 receives a command to report for imminent deployment briefing
The scene of bliss dissolves into a cloud of component electrons as Nug opens his eyes. In reality he's sitting at a study desk in his quarters, holding his Techno-Runesword. He blinks away the last of the psionic ghosting session and listens to the alarm.

Always when I'm in therapy! I reckon they time it. Nudge bookmark that story, I want to hear how this Illiad thing ends.

Yes Nug, same time tomorrow as usual. I think these sessions are really working for you. Nudge's metallic voice intones in his mind.

Nice one Nudge! You know I do feel better.

The warlock sheathes the blade and quickly makes his way to the ready room to hear the briefing to both ESO teams.

Afterward, Acina summons the crew for the pointy end of their current deployment. While waiting for the briefing to begin his new friend Makos leans in.
Makos wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:20 pm Conspiratorially he leans over towards Nug with a whisper, "Sooooo is this the meeting about Rowan's cooking ... or did we reschedule that?"
Tastes the same as anything else!

While others file in Nug passes the time chatting with Makos. "This cooking thing has me stumped. Rowan's cookery tastes about the same as anyone else's really, or the same as wet cardboard. I can blast a ship into component atoms with the energy of the universe, but how human taste buds work is beyond me. Someday I'm going to get me a metabolism and experience real honest to goodness drunkenness. It's amazing to hear about but I just can't imagine. The legendary and temporary solution to almost any problem!"
Acina wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:28 pm "As we near MX35994, I have completed a scan of the system that surrounds it. It is a Main Sequence star with five planets in the system. One is located within the star's habitation zone for standard galactic life, one is a gas dwarf, the remaining three are cold planets well outside the acceptable habitational zone." She explains, then highlights three points. "The only planet within habitation also has a limited atmosphere and signs of volcanic activity. I am also detecting an unusual signal from the gas dwarf; technological source though I can't confirm anything else. Finally, I have detected an anomaly just beyond this solar system; a type of nebula." She finishes then her hologram turns to the team. "Where would you like to begin?" She asks.
Nug tips his head in Nyx's direction. "Whaddya reckon Commander?" he says. "We could peel this system like an onion, and start with the nebula on the outside before working our way in. Gas giant second, then the inner points of interest."

He has a closer look at the sensory data, wondering if there's anything more than can be revealed at their current distance.

Sensory Equipment 61%: 1d100: [10] = 10 <-- Looking over Acina's sensory data for interesting things; that weird tech signal for one, perhaps strange patterns, or expected data strangely absent, anything noteworthy really that an AI might miss. (SUCCESS)
Last edited by Nug on Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nug Daimani Eklektós

M.D.C.: 217/217
P.P.E.: 198/230
I.S.P.: 40/40
A.R.: 14
User avatar
Nyx Tempest
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:55 pm

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Nyx Tempest »

Perception: 1d100: [12] = 12 /30%
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 ; 1d100: [19] = 19

Active Effects:
  • Radar (900 feet)
    • Interpreting Shapes: 1d100: [46] = 46 /70%
    • Estimating Distance: 1d100: [8] = 8 /76%
    • Estimating Direction : 1d100: [92] = 92 /76%
    • Estimating Speed : 1d100: [89] = 89 /56%
    • Estimating exact location: 1d100: [75] = 75 /66%
  • Awe Factor: 10
  • Half Damage From Energy Weapons and MD Fire (Includes Magical Attacks)
  • Negates first 30 MD of all energy based attacks (Includes Magical Fire/Lightning)

Nyx will also go into the Horizon's cargo hold and find a suitable location to key one of his rift cards to. Nyx will explain the card to the ship's other security staff so there are no accidents should they have to quickly retreat to the Horizon. (Card One will have the Horizon's cargo hold). Nyx will also get to know the rest of the crew. The ones who will be operating the Horizon for the most part.

During the briefing Nyx takes careful notes of specifics and relies with acknowledgement when appropriate. No real questions and it doesn't seem like we'll get the chance to ask them. Nyx raises, calls the room to "Attention" and salutes as the admiral exits the room.
Nyx later confirms a safe location for the use of his Rift Cards. Nyx will work out a location with ship security that he can use to tap one of his rift cards to keep the location in his back pocket in case of the need for emergency transportation to the fleet. (Rift Card Six will be used for this location)

Nyx clasps his hands behind his back as Acina gives them the report. Hmm. Nug brings up a good idea. Outside in. However, I am concerned about the technological signal found by Acina. I don't want it to become a concern or disappear before we've had a chance to see what it is. Nyx looks around, "I am concerned about the technological signature. I think that should be the priority in our survey of this system, but I do think the outside in approach has merit. Acina, will our current flight path take us past the nebula? or is it on the opposite side of the system? Best to look at the things as we pass them if we can. No sense in doubling back if we can avoid it."

-If the Nebula is on the opposite side of the system or they will have to significantly deviate from the current flight path. Nyx will do the following: "The nebula is out of the way, so we'll leave that for last and purse the technological signal from the Gas Giant first. All stations keep eyes up and report any changes. Ensign, take us towards the technological signal." Nyx directs the Horizon's pilot.

-If the nebula is closer and does not require a detour, Nyx will do the following: "Lets' look at the nebula first. We will pass by it anyway. Ensign, take us towards the nebula, let's keep at the edge for now. Until we can get more information on what it consists of. Sensor stations keep us apprised of changes and updates to the nebula's information."
LCDR Tempest

H.P.: 44
S.D.C.: 64

Negates first 30MD from energy attacks. This effect is present over any worn items, bags, armor, FF, etc. (Exception: PA/Robots)
User avatar
Drago Gor
Diamond Level Patron
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:03 pm

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Drago Gor »

Perception 53%/ Involving Health 63%: d100: [22] = 22
JIC: d100: [93] = 93 , d20: [10] = 10
Status: M.D.C. - 250/250
Horror Factor 11, Keen Sense of Smell, Sharp Color Vision, Impervious to Disease, Fatigues at Half the Normal Rate, No Value to PPE Vampires or as a Ritual Sacrifice

Pre-Deployment

Drago spends a significant amount of time finishing crew physicals using his new cybernetics. Assessment times are cut in half. During his off time, he sees that the remainder of his reward is distributed to the families lost in the terrorist attack. He also establishes a Trust that can have funds, distributed to the families should they need additional assistance. Half of his monthly pay will be deposited in the trust. He gets an administrator and provides guidelines for request and distribution of funds.

Drago reports to the briefing when requested by Acina.
Underguard wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:28 pm "Excellent, now we will begin." Petrovsky says as the last members enter and the door closes. "Commanders Nyx and Vakarian, the rest of ESO 1 and 2, welcome. As you are aware, roughly a week ago we passed into Consortium Space within Thundercloud. We are about to leave said space and enter Wildspace." He says and suddenly a
Thundercloud Map.png
appears in the center of the room.

"There are five phases of our venture into the unmapped depths of this galaxy. ESO1 and 2 will move ahead of the fleet, each taking a different lane of approach. Starting with the Galera Arm, ESO 1 will push forward on the outer zone while ESO 2 is on the inner zone. The Fleet will create a hub that acts as a bridge for both teams. As you discover planets that meet our criteria, we will deploy habitation crews. When you encounter native life; we have first contact crews on standby and ambassadors primed for negotiations." He explains, highlighting parts of the map. "You will be operating independently unless aid is requested. If you encounter resistance, it is pertinent you retreat to safety without disclosing the location of the Fleet. This is not some vacation, I expect good judgement from each member on these teams." Petrovsky finishes, closing the map.

"Now then. You will be deploying soon. Return to your ships and await final orders. That is all." Petrovsky finishes and the lights return to normal with the door opening with a TVIA Inspector walking in. "Excuse us." Petrovsky says, leading the Inspector into his private office. Both teams return to their ships only for the next day to pass agonizingly slow.
"Acina, please compile all information the CAF has on sentient life forms not commonly found in the Consortium currently inhabiting the systems within the three galaxies listed during the brief. Once compiled send to all medical personnel for study,"

Deployment
Setting up a sick bay was a challenge for him. Drago is a big doctor. Space becomes paramount to the success of his sickbay. Working with his staf, they fit 4 beds in the Sickbay proper. Normally there would be six. Drago's quarters are connected to the sick bay by a common door in the living area. To get six beds, Drago limits his personal items to clothing and minimal gear. He is able to fit everything in his bedroom and converts the living room to additional space for two beds. Your average day for Drago, is a running, stretching and weight lifting at 5. Messhall at 6. He gets to his office at 6:30. His staff roll in around 7. He makes regular scheduled visits throughout the day, with the occasional emergency visit on occasion.

This morning he gets a young human named PVT Carter who comes to the Sick Bay complaining of episodes of syncope. Using his cybernetic stethoscope and determines the PVT has tachycardia with a slight arrhythmia. The human is very concerned. He asks Drago, "Is it bad Doc, am I going to make it.?" Drago laughs, "10% of all humans have an arrhythmia. Some go unnoticed for years, like yours, but for the most part a large majority are harmless." Drago says reassuringly. "Why did it show up now?" the PVT Carter inquires. "Well most likely stress of a new assignment, the anxiety of leaving everything and everyone you have ever known. Also gravity and pressure on the ship varies greatly from what your body is used too. You will adjust and the syncope and nausea will wain. I am going to start you on this Beta-Blocker. it should slow your heart rate and make it more regular." Acina. "Please schedule a time for PVT Carter to return in one week, to check the efficacy of his new medication." He turns to PVT Carter. He gives PVT Carter a bottle of Sotalol. " Take one of these a day. Contact me should things get worse or if you start having unexplained effects."

On a relatively slow day the ship arrives at the first system. Drago reports to the bridge to see the new frontier and get briefed on what the crew will do in this system.
Underguard wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:28 pm "As we near MX35994, I have completed a scan of the system that surrounds it. It is a Main Sequence star with five planets in the system. One is located within the star's habitation zone for standard galactic life, one is a gas dwarf, the remaining three are cold planets well outside the acceptable habitational zone." She explains, then highlights three points. "The only planet within habitation also has a limited atmosphere and signs of volcanic activity. I am also detecting an unusual signal from the gas dwarf; technological source though I can't confirm anything else. Finally, I have detected an anomaly just beyond this solar system; a type of nebula." She finishes then her hologram turns to the team. "Where would you like to begin?" She asks.
Drago awaits the Commander's decision.
User avatar
Nug
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:06 am

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Nug »

((Rolls carried))
Nyx Tempest wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:24 pm Nyx looks around, "I am concerned about the technological signature. I think that should be the priority in our survey of this system, but I do think the outside in approach has merit. Acina, will our current flight path take us past the nebula? or is it on the opposite side of the system? Best to look at the things as we pass them if we can. No sense in doubling back if we can avoid it."

-If the Nebula is on the opposite side of the system or they will have to significantly deviate from the current flight path. Nyx will do the following: "The nebula is out of the way, so we'll leave that for last and purse the technological signal from the Gas Giant first. All stations keep eyes up and report any changes. Ensign, take us towards the technological signal." Nyx directs the Horizon's pilot.

-If the nebula is closer and does not require a detour, Nyx will do the following: "Lets' look at the nebula first. We will pass by it anyway. Ensign, take us towards the nebula, let's keep at the edge for now. Until we can get more information on what it consists of. Sensor stations keep us apprised of changes and updates to the nebula's information."
While analysing the signals the warlock considers the Commander's conundrum. This way or that way? How do we know what's best?

"Well, there's no guarantees, but I can try some magical divinations. There's a spell I picked up in Centre that I've been researching, might be worth a whirl." He rewards the Commander with an evil-looking grin. "The Old Ale Oracle spell!"

Sure, the beer isn't necessary. But every respectable spellcaster puts his own persona into the spells he learns. What the Commander don't know won't hurt him will it? Besides, it's been awhile since I put on a show.

Ever the showman, the Warlock pulls a bottle of Dark Lord's Dark Ale from his ready beer-holster and dramatically holds it aloft. "In this galaxy of possibilities, there's a world of probabilities. Can we see the light?" At that moment Nug casts a Globe of Daylight spell; inside the bottle. A dazzling display of bottle-green colours swirl across the bridge as the magical light shines out from within the bubbling brew in Nug's outstretched hand.

"See I've heard Wizards use crystal balls. Sorcerors like to look at reflective pools. Mystics the clouds. And old ladies read the future from tea leaves. But in the U.W.W., there's nothing better than a cold one."

"Now the tricky bit." He intones the Oracle spell, calling upon unknowable cosmic forces for guidance in their current situation. He carefully places the glowing magical bottle-o-beer onto his console and spins it. Hard. The bottle spins merrily, over and over, as Nug recites words of divination. It looks a lot like the game teenage humans play, 'Spin The Bottle'. But without the kissing part.

When the bottle stops, Nug looks to the direction the bottle's neck points at, judging whether it is towards any of the points of interest Acina has described to the crew.

Finally, without warning, the Warlock sweeps up the bottle and downs its contents in one mighty glowing gulp. He listens carefully for any cosmic words of advice or wisdom as the Oracle spell concludes.

As the liquid makes its way down the Lassinikes form, his translucent glassy body also radiates soft magical light. A beautiful kaleidoscopic display of white with shades of orange shimmer on the walls of the bridge. After a short twinkling moment, satisfied the audience has been wowed enough, Nug cancels the Globe spell and he resumes his normal appearance.

Oracle spell 70%: 1d100: [45] = 45 (includes +6% from IQ) <--spell caster receives a dream-like vision of a possible future.. which is?
Performance 98%: 1d100: [79] = 79 <--If you're gonna work the magic, make it look magical. Style counts for a lot in this business.

If the spell works, Nug dutifully relays the message to those present.
If the spell fails, the warlock shrugs and shakes his head. "Nothing. Sorry Boss, I really hoped that would work." He resumes looking over the sensor data the mundane way.

If someone suggests drinking on duty isn't allowed. "Yeah but divinations don't count do they?"

Oracle [-30 PPE]
Globe of Daylight [-2 PPE]
Nug Daimani Eklektós

M.D.C.: 217/217
P.P.E.: 198/230
I.S.P.: 40/40
A.R.: 14
User avatar
Makos
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:21 pm

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Makos »

[[ Rolls Carried Forward ]]

Conditions: Impervious to Lightning and Electricity, Resistant [1/2 Damage] other forms of energy, Invisible to Infrared & Thermal Optics [Armor]

Nug wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 pm ... He rewards the Commander with an evil-looking grin. "The Old Ale Oracle spell!" Ever the showman, the Warlock pulls a bottle of Dark Lord's Dark Ale from his ready beer-holster and dramatically holds it aloft. "In this galaxy of possibilities, there's a world of probabilities. Can we see the light?" At that moment Nug casts a Globe of Daylight spell; inside the bottle. A dazzling display of bottle-green colours swirl across the bridge as the magical light shines out from within the bubbling brew in Nug's outstretched hand.


Absently, Makos leans over to whomever's nearby and semi-whispers, "Mmmmm-Hmmm. My friend Benny used to say the spell got much more accurate results using Fireball Whiskey ... but I doubt they have any within about 20-million miles ..."
___(The-1-and-Only)___Zamikos__Makos___
~12+ Ft of Good-Lovin
Height: 12’8"
Weight: 800 lbs.
PPE: 233/233
MDC: 43/43

MD Bow
Claw Wand
CAF Heavy Battle Armor (-15% Prowl)
Enchanted Armbands/Pauldrons
(Left) -- [3x Daily] Strength of Utgard Loki/Might of Palladium
(Right) -- [3x Daily] Armor of Ithan [50 MD, 5.00 Min]

Ody, the Clockwork Wolf
User avatar
Hallon Nemo
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:37 pm

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Hallon Nemo »

JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 / 1d100: [82] = 82
Perception: 1d100: [66] = 66 /26%

"Acina, another game of Fizzbin? Five player." Hallon watches as four holographic representations of Acina appear around a holographic table with a holographic deck of cards. As he's dealt his six cards, he places the first two face up. An Ace and a three. An auspicious start. Acina starts handing out cards to herselves and flipping them over in order. "Supernova." says Acina 3. "Already? You wouldn't lie to a Cosmo-Knight, would you Acina?" "Never Sir Hallon." "You can just call me Hal." His alarm going off indicating a message, Hallon checks and sees that his crew is needed in the ready room. "Perfect timing. Good game, Acina."

Hallon finds his seat in the ready room and listens to the briefing from the Admiral. New civilizations and peoples to discover. This is the fulfilling stuff I signed up for. Let's hope the CAF is up for their stated purpose. There's always a bad
Image
in the bunch. And I'm the gardener.


Acina's breakdown of the system intrigues Hallon. I could scout out the gas giant on my own while the others make contact with the inhabitable planet. But
"Never abandon a friend, ally or noble cause." - Cosmo-Knight Code 4.5
dictates otherwise. Teamwork is important. Can't do it all.


"I will be happy with whatever decision you make, Commander. If it's helpful, I can do a solo run of the three uninhabitable planets and meet you at a location of your choosing. But I am also perfectly satisfied sticking with the team. Forge bless."
Masterchief Hallon Nemo,
Cosmic Knight of the Forge
User avatar
Underguard
Game Master
Posts: 698
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Location: CAF, UPS and GIRLS GM - nphilip90s/ScytheNP#2513

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Underguard »

Conditions wrote:Mission Day/Time: 01 | 13hr00m
GZT (Galactic Zulu Time: Goldilocks Standard): 0830 [/color]
Location: Thundercloud Wildspace
Ley Line Presence: None within range.
[Assignment]

"The unidentified nebula is on the other side of MX35994 from our current location, so we would need to fly around the star and past the other two points to investigate that first." Acina answers Nyx. Nyx nods along and makes the decision to hit the gas dwarf first. Nyx hears a chirpy "You got it, Commander" from the pilot's nest when he gives the order.

As Acina gives the team the briefing, Nug sits down at an open sensor console and looks over the scan data of the technological source. Tweaking it a bit based on what he's seen in the UWW, Nug is able to clean up some of the signal attenuation, boosting a bit of power to the sensors while idling. After a few minutes, Nug is able to determine there is pattern to the signal and that it is weak, likely a passive signal not an active one being broadcast by sentients.

Deciding to take a chance and peer into the future, Nug takes a beer bottle and illuminates it, turning it into a weird form of reflective ball. Nug then peers through the item as though in a drunken stupor, while on the bridge, gazing at the orb of daylight within the bottle as the oracle spell takes hold. Spinning the bottle on the nearest flat surface, it stops and is pointing in a seemingly empty region of space as Acina seems to clear her throat. "Well... that's the general direction of... two of the three targets." Acina states. Nug scoops up the bottle and peers through it again, then popping it and downing its contents and peering through the empty bottle once again. The magic takes hold and Nug sees a
Nug sees himself with the team in a dark metallic hallway; flashlights and a globe of daylight surrounding them; a flash to an emptied observation chamber that peers down into the gas dwarf
before coming too, definitely something about the gas dwarf.

During the first few hours, Drago has been reviewing the known people of Thundercloud after requesting the data from Acina earlier in. [Most, not all, species of Thundercloud Galaxy Book Drago will be able to look up as needed, some are rarer. Case by Case.] Drago spent most of his time in the sick bay with the other two medics that exist onboard to help him, helping mild cases and otherwise waiting for something to happen. At the briefing, he offers little input and otherwise listens to everyone as they discuss.

Hallon has been spending most of his time relatively relaxed, playing Fizzbin with the holographic faces of Acina, who provides just the right amount of sass to the Cosmo-Knight. At least until the briefing starts and though Hallon recognizes how easy it would be for him to spirit away and scout the efforts, he remembers that's not his purpose here, and decides to remain onboard with the team as the collective decision is made to head to the gas dwarf.

[The Gas Dwarf]

It doesn't take long for the Horizon to zip to the gas dwarf and enter a low orbit of the planet, the pilot's nest sqawks on the intercom. "Establishing a geosynchronous low orbit of the signal, Commander. LADAR paints the silhouette as some type of station. No docking clamps that'll fit the Horizon." The pilot announces. Acina turns to Nyx, "You can deploy in the shuttle; there is an access panel the shuttle can connect too that will allow access." Acina offers.

What are you doing?
PW: CAF GM || UPS GM || GIRLS GM|| Theme Song
PCs: Ronan (Spook Squad) | Exe (PW GA) |Venenifer (Roughnecks) | Glitch (PW: Rogues) | Sam Animus (PW Void Reaver) || EP Ledger
ImageImage
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
User avatar
Makos
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:21 pm

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Makos »

Perception 35%: 1d100: [30] = 30
JIC d20: 1d20: [14] = 14
JIC d100: 1d100: [55] = 55

Conditions: Impervious to Lightning and Electricity, Resistant [1/2 Damage] other forms of energy, Invisible to Infrared & Thermal Optics [Armor]



Nug wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 pmOracle spell 70% ...
If the spell works, Nug dutifully relays the message to those present.
When Nug relates his description of his vision of a dark metallic hallway and emptied observation chamber that peers down into the gas dwarf, Makos offers a wistful grin, "Oh good, you saw the team ehhh? ... Now this hallway and 'Observation' chamber? Did you feel cramped and claustrophobic?
You didn't by any chance notice vaulted cathedral-style ceilings did you? ... Just curious as a plus-sized fellow and all ... Was I like crawling in your little mind-flash? hehehe ..."
and winks over at the often-oblivious Drago.

Whatever the response from Nig, the Mystic-Smith rises from his seat and nods to the others, "Ok so, the Gas Giant is closest. I'll go gather my gear. Holler if ya need me." He gathers
EBA, Mace, Bow, Quiver, etc.
and returns a short time later, curiously with Ody curiously rigged up carrying a Robotics Shop-Kit/Toolbox.

"Before we head out, I have this Bracelet that projects
Bracer/Bracelet of Friendship [?] - Enchanted
A piece of armor fitted to go over the forearm.
M.D.C.: 50
Magic Features
[3x Daily] Energy Field [60 MD, 5.00 Min, 60', BOM Pg 101]

History: Makos Forged this Temp Item.
Duration: 5 Months
... Anyone want to strap that in with their gear?? ... Also, anyone else who has an item enchanted for Daily use, you need it with you. Get it and bring it along. Just because Nug and I still know the spell does not mean you should skip on bringing the gear. The Enchanted items are a method of saving Nug and I from burning through our reserves too quickly on-mission, and expanding everyone's capabilities." The last part sounds very much rehearsed and like something that Makos may or may nor have had to say a-thousand-different times to various teams of Minotaur Jump-Troopers over the last Century in the Corps.

Underguard wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:39 am[The Gas Dwarf]
It doesn't take long for the Horizon to zip to the gas dwarf and enter a low orbit of the planet, the pilot's nest sqawks on the intercom. "Establishing a geosynchronous low orbit of the signal, Commander. LADAR paints the silhouette as some type of station. No docking clamps that'll fit the Horizon."


He queries Acina for a moment, "Acina?? Can you give a size estimate on this Station. Can you project a visual for us?"

Now leaning on the wall rather than seated the Cyclops ponders approach on this station and whether they will likely need the shuttle proposed as he looks the thing over, *Well, Sir-Hal over there definitely can move through space, and Nug has a Spell with Flight ... I have a Space Flight spell ... Walkyr has a Silver-Hawk PA. Nyx? He flies but how is he without an atmosphere? Can his wings do anything in a void, without y'know air to push off of and move him around? ... Dundee and Drago? Not sure about them. I think the Doc may be out of his element, but Sergeant Dundee's probably had some Zero-G training, he might be ok on a EVA trip ... even so, probably dont want to offer to burn a big chunk of my [PPE] energy for an approach ... save it to cast on folks if we have to make a quick getaway. Man I wish I had had the time to make some more items ... or study that spell that checks for living stuff [Locate Life Signs (DB13_Fleets Pg 118, L7)] ... Not that it would help us against y'know killer robots or anything but it's a start ...*

As he muses, the Smith examines their destination:
Mechanical Engineer 60%: 1d100: [38] = 38 -- Examine station visual for signs of damage, defensive/weapons systems? Does this thing look like its mass is concentrated in a central hub-location or is it segmented into multiple sections?
Spaceship Mechanics 57%: 1d100: [65] = 65 -- Examine station visual for signs of damage, defensive/weapons systems? If the Docking Clamps wont fit our Ship/Horizon are they in a style that typifies/suggests any specific Race (hey does that thing look Splugorth/Kittani??)
Literacy: Trade One 98%: 1d100: [69] = 69 -- Examine station for Markings/Signage/Name
Literacy: Trade Four 98%: 1d100: [65] = 65 -- Examine station for Markings/Signage/Name
Salvage 65%: 1d100: [46] = 46 -- Any salvageable materials for projects Makos has been working on? Nice Armor Plating to use as metal bar-stock on weapons for forging ... or Barrel-shaped pieces that might work as a still for Makos' brewing? :roll:

If he observes anything significant, Makos will point it out.
___(The-1-and-Only)___Zamikos__Makos___
~12+ Ft of Good-Lovin
Height: 12’8"
Weight: 800 lbs.
PPE: 233/233
MDC: 43/43

MD Bow
Claw Wand
CAF Heavy Battle Armor (-15% Prowl)
Enchanted Armbands/Pauldrons
(Left) -- [3x Daily] Strength of Utgard Loki/Might of Palladium
(Right) -- [3x Daily] Armor of Ithan [50 MD, 5.00 Min]

Ody, the Clockwork Wolf
User avatar
Nug
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:06 am

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Nug »

JIC: 1d20: 1d20: [10] = 10 , 1d100: 1d100: [68] = 68
Perception: 30% / 1d100: [7] = 7 (SUCCESS)
Active Effects:
  • Sixth Sense (90 feet)
  • Immune to airborne or ingested beer, poisons, toxins, drugs, gases, pollution and magic potions.
  • Immune to radiation.
  • Half damage from kinetic energy and impact weapons such as bullets, rail guns, punches, falls, thrown weapons, and explosives.
  • Half damage from electricity and ion beams.
  • Third damage from lasers.
  • Tenth damage from extreme fire, heat, cold and powerful microwaves

Makos wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:05 am *** If/When Nug relates his description of his vision of a dark metallic hallway and emptied observation chamber that peers down into the gas dwarf, Makos offers a grin, "Oh good, you saw the team ehhh? ... Now this hallway and 'Observation' chamber? Did you feel cramped and claustrophobic?
You didn't by any chance notice vaulted cathedral-style ceilings did you? ... Just curious as a plus-sized fellow and all ... Was I like crawling in yur little mind-flash? hehehe ..."
and winks over at the often-oblivious Drago.
Deep in thought, and still gazing at the empty bottle, Nug shakes his head.

"We had flashlights and a Globe of Daylight. So power is possibly down in this place I saw. I didn't see any locals at all. You were there and I feel in my soul you were meant to be. But I got no sense of scale to this hallway. The observation chamber looks down on the gas dwarf. That's it. We'll have to see for ourselves."

The place deserted? Was it damaged at all? It seemed fine, just dark and empty.
Underguard wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:39 am It doesn't take long for the Horizon to zip to the gas dwarf and enter a low orbit of the planet, the pilot's nest sqawks on the intercom. "Establishing a geosynchronous low orbit of the signal, Commander. LADAR paints the silhouette as some type of station. No docking clamps that'll fit the Horizon." The pilot announces. Acina turns to Nyx, "You can deploy in the shuttle; there is an access panel the shuttle can connect too that will allow access." Acina offers.
Makos wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:05 am He queries Acina for a moment, "Acina?? Can you give a size estimate on this Station. Can you project a visual for us?"
Nug examines the image closely, looking for signs of anything untoward. "Any lights on? Evidence of power being generated? Or this the place dead?"

He turns to their fearless Commander Nyx. "It's probably not necessary.. but.. could we first just ask if anyone's home? It'd be a touch embarrassing if we didn't knock before waltzing in, and someone undetectable to us just happened to be home. Then they go and ask, 'Hey why didn't you just radio before kicking down the doors?' and we try and explain with a straight face, 'Well our magical glass man drank a beer and had a vision, so we just assumed the place was empty.' Hah!" He chuckles at the thought, well aware of the unreliability that comes with these sorts of divinations.

Nug closes his eyes and tries to sense the presence of any
Sense Ley Line: Able to feel whether there is a ley line within the area of his sensing abilities, 30 miles.
or
Sense a Rift: Will automatically feel the sensation of a Rift opening or closing anywhere within 70 miles
. Probably nothing, but my homeworld got pretty deserted after the wrong kind of rift let all the Bad Things in. He shudders at the memory. If he senses anything at all, he will relay the information.

Nudge, the warlock's AI sword and psychiatrist, notices and chimes in into his thoughts for distract from the traumatic. You know you were oggling the Detect Life Signs spell back in Centre.

Yeah I know.

But you had to get the beer future vision spell...

Yeah I know.

The very expensive beer future vision spell...

Hey I regret nothing! You see the look on their faces when I cast it! Classic! The AI is quietly smug at how deftly it turned Nug's mind onto greener pastures.

With no further magical resources available, the warlock turns his attention to his sensors. "The signals farther back were passive, not the active sort you'd see broadcast by sentients. But maybe now that we're closer I can nut out some indirect sign of life from energy signatures."

Sensory Equipment 61%: 1d100: [17] = 17 (SUCCESS)<-- energy signatures coming from the station; power sources... anything to suggest occupancy of some sort.

Nug then preps for the shuttle trip. He wears his fancy new crystal helmet, which looks rather spiffy on his glass-like form. He also wears his new crystal armour. Now I look like a right proper Lassinikes! Let's see what's out there!

Naturally, he rearms his beer-holster before departing. "Never know when you need the magic." He grins, obviously in good spirits.
Nug Daimani Eklektós

M.D.C.: 217/217
P.P.E.: 198/230
I.S.P.: 40/40
A.R.: 14
User avatar
Hallon Nemo
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:37 pm

Re: [CAF] Thundercloud Wildspace: Reaching for the Stars

Post by Hallon Nemo »

JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [54] = 54
Perception: 1d100: [9] = 9 /26%

Hallon listens to Nug’s tale of the future and is intrigued. ”Did everyone remember to bring their flashlight? Some sort of station... interesting. And agreed, Nug. Knocking would be the proper way to go about this.” Old me would have known how to adjust sensors until we got a perfect scan of this thing. New me will just have to go take a look I guess?

”To the shuttle then? I have everything I need.” Hallon pats his PSE in its hip holster and waits for the team to be ready to move.
Masterchief Hallon Nemo,
Cosmic Knight of the Forge
Post Reply

Return to “Phase World: The Three Galaxies”